PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Moss Now a Linebacker

WARHORSE
07-20-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090719/ARTICLES/907199941/1136?Title=Ex-Gator-Moss-now-a-linebacker

By Evan Vladem
Correspondent

Published: Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 11:13 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 11:13 p.m.

Jarvis Moss has heard it all in Denver. The ex-Gator who was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 17th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft has been labeled a bust by some, while reports swirled about being cut or traded for a low draft pick. This year, however, might be looking a bit brighter.

.art_main_pic { width:250px; float:left; clear:left; }Broncos rookie head coach Josh McDaniels brings a clean slate and a new position for Moss. McDaniels will employ a 3-4 defense, shifting Moss to outside linebacker.

“It’s a huge transition going from defensive line all of your life to linebacker,” Moss said. “With the outside linebacker position that I am playing we rush a lot. It’s just a matter of getting in my playbook, being open-minded and willing to learn.

“It’s coming to me quick. I’ve learned so much about my position and about the 3-4 defense here. I’m excited. This is something I feel like I could have been doing from the very first day in the NFL.”

In his first two NFL seasons, Moss recorded just 24 tackles and 3.5 sacks. His rookie campaign was cut short due to a broken right shin suffered in practice in week seven.

“I had never broken a bone prior to that injury,” Moss said. “The first thing that crossed my mind was that my ankle was broken. The hardest part was knowing my rookie season was over just like that.”

Moss fully recovered from the injury but still struggled in his sophomore year. After the season, rumors emerged that Moss would either be traded or cut by the Broncos.

“I can only control the things that are within my control,” he said. “That’s just going to work everyday with a positive attitude and just trying to get better while trying to help my team get better.

“Whatever goes on upstairs, that’s what goes on upstairs. I haven’t gone anywhere yet so maybe that’s a sign. The rumors and buzz, you hear that kind of stuff all the time. That’s just apart of the business.”

The move to outside linebacker is a positive one for Moss. His athleticism, rushing skills and speed make him a seemingly perfect fit as a hybrid player.

“I would have to say I like that outside linebacker position better than defensive end,” Moss said. “It is more versatile. I get to compete against wide receivers, tight ends, running backs and the quarterback all at the same time. It’s awesome, man. You get to show your versatility.”

The Broncos are scheduled to begin training camp on July 31.
“When it comes time to put the pads on, I’m going to show the coaches why I was a first-round draft pick,” he said. “I have a little chip on my shoulder to be honest with you. It is totally new here, everything is wide open and there is a lot of competition.”

When asked if he was happy in Denver, Moss simply said that he is just ready to win and contribute to the team.

It has been easy, however, for Moss to keep his head held high with the help of ex-Florida teammate Marcus Thomas, who was no stranger to adversity during his college years but has played his way into Denver’s defensive line rotation. Thomas has 54 total tackles and two interceptions with the Broncos in the last two seasons.

“We usually kick it every day,” Moss said. “He’s been one of my closest friends since we got to Florida.”

Although he is more than 1,700 miles away from Gainesville, Moss often finds himself reminiscing about his Gator ties.

“I think about (the blocked field goal against South Carolina) pretty often,” he said. “I catch all of the games on TV. We’re definitely going to win another national championship this year. I think were going to go undefeated. This year will be the first title undefeated.”

underrated29
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Bring it Jarvis!

Northman
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Lets hope he is a little more successful now than he was before.

powderaddict
07-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I really hope he succeeds. I'm not holding out a ton of hope, but it would be nice if he can really step in and produce. His story is one I'll be following, and I'll be taking a close watch during the preseason games at how he does.

Traveler
07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Hopefully the new staff can coach him up. The previous staff definitely hindered his development.

Lonestar
07-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I suspect he is not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, and learning a another new spot is not going to come easy in a complicated scheme..

lets hope he makes the squad and is not a bust like most thought he would be.. IIRC he cost us two draft choices to start with those are the ones you expect more from.. or at least I do..

Traveler
07-20-2009, 01:14 PM
I suspect he is not the sharpest arrow in the quiver, and learning a another new spot is not going to come easy in a complicated scheme..

lets hope he makes the squad and is not a bust like most thought he would be.. IIRC he cost us two draft choices to start with those are the ones you expect more from.. or at least I do..

1st, 3rd and 6th.

Lonestar
07-20-2009, 01:27 PM
1st, 3rd and 6th. I thought is was a 1 and 3 but throw in the 6th although those are usually camp fodder.. But occasionally there are some keepers there..

183 Spencer Larsen FB Arizona
198 Greg Eslinger C Minnesota
200 Chris Myers G Miami (Fla.)
171 Triandos Luke WR Alabama
190 Josh Sewell -- Nebraska
191 Jeb Putzier TE Boise State
190 Kevin Kasper WR Iowa
189 Mike Anderson RB Utah
179 Desmond Clark TE Wake Forest
204 Chad Plummer WR Cincinnati
181 Tony Veland DB
196 Terrell Davis RB

Tned
07-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Hopefully, it's a big chip on his shoulder, and he makes the transition to OLB.

CoachChaz
07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
He was given freedom to run when I saw him in high school and he was awesome. Yes, that's a world apart from the skillset to play in the NFL, but I think it's something within him to have a little more freedom to show of his athleticism. I'm definitely rooting for the big Texan.

lex
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
He seemed to do ok making plays out in the flats. I hope he steps up and is given the chance if he does.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I really do love this move. It goes without saying that time will be needed to adjust, but I do see Moss and Doom as Steeler type OLBs. Moss especially never had the girth to be a DE in the NFL. Elvis was at least stout. They both should have been 3-4 OLBs from day 1 and I'm glad they will both get their chance.

broncofaninfla
07-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I can't wait for the pads to come on so we can see who is going to contribute this year. Moss seems perfect for the OLB role, time will tell.....

Simple Jaded
07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Nolan can get any pass rush from Moss, Crowder and even Dumervil/Ayers, he had Manny Lawson in SF and dropped him in coverage far too often, he had Parys Haralson who didn't get much of a chance to earn his new 4 year/15 mil contract until after Nolan was gone.

I'm not criticizing Mike Nolan, I'm just not sure we know what to expect from players like Dumervil, Ayers, Crowder and Moss (If he makes the team) in his defense. Two things I think we can count on; this will never be a Blitzburgh type of 3-4 defense, and that even Nolan's 49er defenses are an improvement over Denver's defense.......

rcsodak
07-20-2009, 08:47 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Nolan can get any pass rush from Moss, Crowder and even Dumervil/Ayers, he had Manny Lawson in SF and dropped him in coverage far too often, he had Parys Haralson who didn't get much of a chance to earn his new 4 year/15 mil contract until after Nolan was gone.

I'm not criticizing Mike Nolan, I'm just not sure we know what to expect from players like Dumervil, Ayers, Crowder and Moss (If he makes the team) in his defense. Two things I think we can count on; this will never be a Blitzburgh type of 3-4 defense, and that even Nolan's 49er defenses are an improvement over Denver's defense.......

Didn't his SF team play the 4-3? :confused:

SR
07-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I've always rooted for Jarvis and I hope he is able to make the transition with success.

Orange7
07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Meh, I liked Jarvis when we drafted him but he has since been a dissapointment.

Maybe this change of position is what he needs? He is fairly fast after all, and never had the strength to be an every down DE in the 4-3 scheme so playing linebacker in a 3-4 might suit him better.

I hope it goes well for him. :beer:

LTC Pain
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Whup that ass JM! We support yah!

Superchop 7
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Nolan is a good teacher, if Moss is ever going to reach his potential, he is in the right place.

Coach him up Mike.