PDA

View Full Version : hmmm... sounds like Decker is up to some new tricks!!!!

Broncfan1970
07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Lets see yesterday, per Lammey report caught everything thrown his way. Oh and today this tweet from Lindsay Jones of DP, "Manning was incredibly sharp in 7 on 7s. It just looked easy, especially with Decker" sounds like Decker is planning on serving crow to a few on these boards this year

smith49
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Wo wo wo. I thought Decker was up to his old tricks?? See above thread^^^^!!:rolleyes:

Broncfan1970
07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Me too until I started reading camp highlights... turns out this Manning guy really likes throwing to him, its weird almost like he has faith in his ability as a WR.

LTC Pain
07-28-2012, 06:32 PM
So, Decker is not an epic failure as he was made out to be in the other thread? Who woulda thunk it :)

Softskull
07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Today was lots o' Decker and Manning

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/training-camp-2012-day-three-a-m/

DenBronx
07-28-2012, 07:35 PM
So, Decker is not an epic failure as he was made out to be in the other thread?

Is this a TRICK question?

Northman
07-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Guy who started the other thread,

"Oooops"

Nomad
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
The way I look at it.....it's up to the receiver not to make Manning look bad. Decker should excel with Manning throwing to him. BTW, we all are rooting for Decker to be an outstanding receiver.....it benefits the BRONCOS.

MOtorboat
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM

"Oooops"

I'm sick of the anti-Decker crowd.

Northman
07-28-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm sick of the anti-Decker crowd.

I dont really care honestly. I think its funny. Ive heard that Ryan has gone and ordered some step ladders for his receivers today.

Elevation inc
07-29-2012, 11:31 AM
decker was very bad last year with his drop rate his criticsm on some levels by many was warranted, however its clear that there were other factors involved. Its also clear he is putting in the work and the results are paying off. However this is practice not a game so for me while i like what I hear, this kid needs to prove it reg season and not have the drop off he did last year. With that being said from what Im hearing by all accounts we are looking at a very stout 4 set at WR with DT, decker, Caldwell and Willis.....that 5th spot is gonna be a insane battle. So hopefully they keep working hard cause peyton dont play that drop the ball BS.....

Broncfan1970
07-29-2012, 04:57 PM
decker was very bad last year with his drop rate his criticsm on some levels by many was warranted, however its clear that there were other factors involved. Its also clear he is putting in the work and the results are paying off. However this is practice not a game so for me while i like what I hear, this kid needs to prove it reg season and not have the drop off he did last year. With that being said from what Im hearing by all accounts we are looking at a very stout 4 set at WR with DT, decker, Caldwell and Willis.....that 5th spot is gonna be a insane battle. So hopefully they keep working hard cause peyton dont play that drop the ball BS..... he was forced into a college run first system, with a QB that scrambled, had poor acurracy, poor field vision who threw like 6 or 7 passes a game. What did you think his play was gonna do? FYI its going to be an insane group of WR not because something just clicked, but because they finally have a QB with talent to throw to them

BroncoWave
07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
he was forced into a college run first system, with a QB that scrambled, had poor acurracy, poor field vision who threw like 6 or 7 passes a game. What did you think his play was gonna do? FYI its going to be an insane group of WR not because something just clicked, but because they finally have a QB with talent to throw to them

I would expect him to still catch catchable balls. Many on here wanted to give Decker a pass on his drops because it was easier to blame Tebow, but he dropped several catchable balls last season. I'm glad so see he appears to be doing better with Manning but that doesn't change what happened last season.

Nomad
07-29-2012, 06:27 PM
If it hits your hands, you're supposed to catch it regardless.

Broncfan1970
07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
If it hits your hands, you're supposed to catch it regardless. how many of the leauge lowest throws hit his hands there statistician? Some of you obviously talk as tho you have a break down of on the money in the bread basket drops there were. If you could point me to where you found those stats I'd appreciate it

chazoe60
07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
how many of the leauge lowest throws hit his hands there statistician? Some of you obviously talk as tho you have a break down of on the money in the bread basket drops there were. If you could point me to where you found those stats I'd appreciate it
WT F are you talking about? Nomad simply pointed out a fact. If it hits your hands you should catch it.

Broncfan1970
07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
how many of the leauge lowest throws hit his hands there statistician? Some of you obviously talk as tho you have a break down of on the money in the bread basket drops there were. If you could point me to where you found those stats I'd appreciate it
WT F are you talking about? Nomad simply pointed out a fact. If it hits your hands you should catch it. lol really cause he's high giving Guy in previous post about reasons he feels Decker had bad year with drops. Not rocket science to see meaning of post so I'd say again show me the stats

chazoe60
07-29-2012, 08:11 PM
What's your first language?

Broncfan1970
07-29-2012, 08:22 PM
What's your first language? my mistake typing fast on smartphone and trying to make changes mid sentence on the fly.

Elevation inc
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
A reciever's job is to catch the ball if you cant do that regardless of the qb its a problem. End of story!

Broncfan1970
07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
A reciever's job is to catch the ball if you cant do that regardless of the qb its a problem. End of story! thanks for youth football lesson 101 there coach! Still has to be thrown where it can be caught!

Nomad
07-30-2012, 01:55 AM

I was told this by every coach I've had since pee-wee through high school. It's not a knock on Decker or Tebow because both players had their faults, just a simple standard that is held especially by anyone who plays or has played the WO or DB position. I understand it is easier said than done too. You're talking to the wrong guy if you want stats. I'm not much into researching:lol:

There is a drill, can't remember what it's called where all the coaches do is throw the ball at your shoelaces, whether in front or behind. Anyway, I'm rooting for Decker because he's a BRONCO and what happened last year is done with and moving on to Manning throwing to Decker and the other WOs.

Northman
07-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Irregardless of the problems any of the receivers had last year it was clear as day to most that QB was the major problem and that (thankfully) has been corrected with the signing of Manning. I expect all the receivers too be much much better this year where they wont have to try and make circus catches 4 out of 5 times.

vandammage13
07-30-2012, 07:38 AM

"Oooops"

Lol...One good practice a good WR does not make...

We'll see..I certainly hope his drops are behind him.

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Lol...One good practice a good WR does not make...

We'll see..I certainly hope his drops are behind him.

You're really clinging to this hope that Decker is bad, aren't you?

CoachChaz
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
With Decker, I'm not sure it comes down to a "hope" that he is bad. Even assuming that his drops were purely the result of Tebow's passes...he still has a lot of work to do before becoming anywhere close to elite.

Northman
07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
With Decker, I'm not sure it comes down to a "hope" that he is bad. Even assuming that his drops were purely the result of Tebow's passes...he still has a lot of work to do before becoming anywhere close to elite.

I dont think anyone has made him out to be elite, but to be made a scapegoat for some very bad QBing by Tebow is a tad ridiculous.

Broncfan1970
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
With Decker, I'm not sure it comes down to a "hope" that he is bad. Even assuming that his drops were purely the result of Tebow's passes...he still has a lot of work to do before becoming anywhere close to elite. I think the kid is showing how committed he is to developing tho, just by the extra time he's put in throughout the off season with Manning. I'm excited to see how it translates to the games...

CoachChaz
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
I dont think anyone has made him out to be elite, but to be made a scapegoat for some very bad QBing by Tebow is a tad ridiculous.

I dont know if he's being made a "scapegoat". No...not many Tebow passes were pretty. But at the end of the day, Decker did drop quite a few catchable balls and he still has some serious issues getting separation. My point being...Manning or not...those things need to be corrected before Manning can rely on him as a top target outside of a practice.

CoachChaz
07-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I think the kid is showing how committed he is to developing tho, just by the extra time he's put in throughout the off season with Manning. I'm excited to see how it translates to the games...

Couldnt agree more. But there is a saying. "You can polish a turd all day long. But at the end of the day...it's still a turd"

Not saying Decker is shit...but in my amateur opinion...I just dont see superstar written anywhere in his game. His skillset has a place and I just dont think that place is as a #1 target.

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 09:15 AM

He doesn't have to be elite to be effective.

Northman
07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Couldnt agree more. But there is a saying. "You can polish a turd all day long. But at the end of the day...it's still a turd"

Not saying Decker is shit...but in my amateur opinion...I just dont see superstar written anywhere in his game. His skillset has a place and I just dont think that place is as a #1 target.

To be honest, Eddy Mac to me wasnt an allstar either but an important piece to those championship teams. Does he have things to work on? Of course, but i think he can be a valuable player for us going forward.

GEM
07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm just wondering where Decker came up as being the #1?

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Saying a QB is to blame for a WR dropping passes is as stupid as it gets. People like you have this ridiculous delusion that anyone who criticized Decker for dropping passes last season was simply using him as a scapegoat for the QB.

Why are we not allowed to criticize other players on the offense without it being about the QB? I don't care if the QB is Tebow, Manning, Orton, or anything in between. When a ball hits the WR in the hands, I expect him to do his job and catch it, regardless of whom the QB is.

Sadly though, it's impossible to levy any sort of criticism against Decker without people like you swooping in and making it about Tebow. I'm not saying every pass thrown to Decker was perfect, because that was definitely not the case. But the job of an NFL WR isn't to only catch perfect spirals that hit you in the numbers. It's to catch any pass that hits you in the hands.

Northman
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Saying a QB is to blame for a WR dropping passes is as stupid as it gets. People like you have this ridiculous delusion that anyone who criticized Decker for dropping passes last season was simply using him as a scapegoat for the QB.

Why are we not allowed to criticize other players on the offense without it being about the QB? I don't care if the QB is Tebow, Manning, Orton, or anything in between. When a ball hits the WR in the hands, I expect him to do his job and catch it, regardless of whom the QB is.

Sadly though, it's impossible to levy any sort of criticism against Decker without people like you swooping in and making it about Tebow. I'm not saying every pass thrown to Decker was perfect, because that was definitely not the case. But the job of an NFL WR isn't to only catch perfect spirals that hit you in the numbers. It's to catch any pass that hits you in the hands.

Actually, ive stated before he has his own issues but that they are not the brunt of the problems as some others have tried to suggest. Clearly, your not reading "everything" that ive posted on the subject otherwise you would of seen where ive stated Decker needs to get better.

Ravage!!!
07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
To be honest, Eddy Mac to me wasnt an allstar either but an important piece to those championship teams. Does he have things to work on? Of course, but i think he can be a valuable player for us going forward.

Eddy Mac wasn't near being Elite. Neither was Brandon Lloyd... Hell, even Rod Smith wasn't considered "elite." I never looked at Decker as an "elite" type of WR...ever. But he has all the right skills to be a good possession WR and a great "go-to" type of man. That's something every team needs.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM
For the record I do think Decker will be our most productive receiver this season. This type of offense is a perfect fit for him. Last year DT shined because he's better at keeping broken plays alive and making something out of nothing. Decker seems to thrive more in a precision, route-running based offense, where DT still needs a little work in that.

I definitely think we'll find out how good both guys are quickly though. They certainly won't have any problems from the QB position to blame if they struggle, although I think they will both be just fine.

weazel
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/607/607/Wags16_display_image.jpg?1322330332

Northman
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Weasel wins.

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Andrew Mason tweeted today with a #semiboldprediction hashtag that "barring injury, Decker catches 110 passes this season."

He's got one believer, who's watched every game and public practice for the past few years.

Jsteve01
07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Coach I'd like to hear your response to the drive NTL just posted. tia

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Coach I'd like to hear your response to the drive NTL just posted. tia

Drivel? Why, I never have been so insulted.

:D

NightTerror218
07-30-2012, 04:33 PM
I would like to see him be the Wes Welker of the broncos. The go to guy and be able to get the YAC that Welker can get.

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Maybe. .. . I hope this is the season Decker takes a leap forward. It's hard to fathom him and Manning clicking right off the bat so well for Mason to predict 110 catches, but I'll take it if it happens.

We all tend to see these guys in a static way, but it's certainly possible that he's really improved from last season to this season, and now he's got a HOFer throwing to him. .. .anything is possible.

Nomad
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I would like to see him be the Wes Welker of the broncos. The go to guy and be able to get the YAC that Welker can get.

Welker's fun to watch.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Decker's game is absolutely nothing like Welker's. The only thing they have in common is that they are white and player WR.

Welker is a slot WR who makes his living on the inside and underneath the defense. Decker plays on the outside and is more of a deep threat.

NightTerror218
07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Decker's game is absolutely nothing like Welker's. The only thing they have in common is that they are white and player WR.

Both good route runners. But I ment in the fashion as the go to go guy and who can get insane amount of yards.

NightTerror218
07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Welker's fun to watch.

He unless he is playing us. Then you yell that someone should be on him. Why is he so open kind of thing.

Elevation inc
07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
i know i never said he couldnt be effective. its clear he is putting in work good for him. A better decker is better for the broncos which is all that really matters. However some say his drops werent a issue because of tebow this is not entirely accurate as the truth is somewhere in between. This is where most fans lie right now in regards to decker. On a flip side DT's drop rate wasnt great either so lets hope he has fixed his issues as well with his hands. I like decker overall and i think he will be a solid possesion safety blanket for Peyton, but i am pretty confident the big play#1 capability will come from DT and Caldwell......which when you think about means with our top WR's right now 1-5 is pretty solid so thats a good thing....right now your looking at DT/Decker/Caldwell/Willis/Stokley we could be far worse off than that especially with manning at the helm....

Jsteve01
07-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Andrew Mason went on the record and predicted 110 catches for Decker this year. true story

Jsteve01
07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Drivel? Why, I never have been so insulted.

:D

tongue firmly in cheek. Coach has been talking about Decker's inability to separate. I'm effectively stirring the pot

Elevation inc
07-31-2012, 01:09 PM
thanks for youth football lesson 101 there coach! Still has to be thrown where it can be caught!

sure thing bud im here for you, let me know if you need more tips before you post something.....

CoachChaz
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
There is no doubt that Decker has skills and the potential to be a very good receiver. Unfortunately, all the potential in the world and a trip to the Phillipines will still only get you the clap.

I want to see Decker succeed, but until he gets much better at getting separation...I think the slot is his best option. From the slot, he could get close to that 100 reception prediction. I just dont see it coming outside. Just my opinion.

MOtorboat
07-31-2012, 04:19 PM
There is no doubt that Decker has skills and the potential to be a very good receiver. Unfortunately, all the potential in the world and a trip to the Phillipines will still only get you ...

This is BEGGING for a Tebow comment.

BroncoWave
07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
This is BEGGING for a Tebow comment.

Well you bring him up in every other thread, regardless of topic. Not sure what's stopping you now.

MOtorboat
07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Well you bring him up in every other thread, regardless of topic. Not sure what's stopping you now.

Do I now?

Broncfan1970
07-31-2012, 10:43 PM
thanks for youth football lesson 101 there coach! Still has to be thrown where it can be caught!

sure thing bud im here for you, let me know if you need more tips before you post something..... yeah I think ill pass..... let me know when you have more pop warner insight on what NFL recievers should do. Like I've said if Decker is good enough for Manning to target I'm good with it

Ziggy
07-31-2012, 10:57 PM
The only time they were putting Decker in the slot yesterday was when they went to a 3WR set without Stokely on the field, which wasn't often. Most of the time in 3 wides it was Decker and Thomas on the outside with Stokely in the slot. When Caldwell was used as the 3rd wide, Decker moved inside. Caldwell has great speed, but Stokely gets open and catches everything thrown to him. I think that they'll use that lineup quite a bit. Decker is also on the outside when the Broncos are in a 2TE, 2WR set. Don't expect to see him in the slot too often this season.

Elevation inc
08-01-2012, 08:10 AM
yeah I think ill pass..... let me know when you have more pop warner insight on what NFL recievers should do. Like I've said if Decker is good enough for Manning to target I'm good with it

Cool story bro......dont tell it again

12and4
08-02-2012, 02:41 AM
i know i never said he couldnt be effective. its clear he is putting in work good for him. A better decker is better for the broncos which is all that really matters. However some say his drops werent a issue because of tebow this is not entirely accurate as the truth is somewhere in between. This is where most fans lie right now in regards to decker. On a flip side DT's drop rate wasnt great either so lets hope he has fixed his issues as well with his hands. I like decker overall and i think he will be a solid possesion safety blanket for Peyton, but i am pretty confident the big play#1 capability will come from DT and Caldwell......which when you think about means with our top WR's right now 1-5 is pretty solid so thats a good thing....right now your looking at DT/Decker/Caldwell/Willis/Stokley we could be far worse off than that especially with manning at the helm....

I agree with you that DT will be our big play guy, but I think the way it'll play out is that Decker will have more receptions and DT will have more yards.

Caldwell will be productive and well I dont like willis all that much. Stokleys alright.

I know i'm taking DT in fantasy.

Canmore
08-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I agree with you that DT will be our big play guy, but I think the way it'll play out is that Decker will have more receptions and DT will have more yards.

Caldwell will be productive and well I dont like willis all that much. Stokleys alright.

I know i'm taking DT in fantasy.

It may well play out that Decker has more receptions and Thomas has more yards. I too have been mulling over picking up Thomas in fantasy football.

From all reports, Stokely is catching everything thrown his way. He certainly is making it difficult not to find him a roster spot.

Tned
08-02-2012, 07:59 AM
It may well play out that Decker has more receptions and Thomas has more yards. I too have been mulling over picking up Thomas in fantasy football.

From all reports, Stokely is catching everything thrown his way. He certainly is making it difficult not to find him a roster spot.

Like others, everything I'm hearing/reading from the local media is that they expect Decker to have a big year and probably be Manning's main guy.

The big question is whether that's a bunch of short passes, with long passes and most TD's going to DT, or if Decker will be used deep as well. Based on the camp reports, so far, Decker has been Manning's main deep hook up guy, with Caldwell being the second most frequent (that's the sense I get from what I've read in camp notes).