PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning hype can't compare to John Elway's rookie Broncos camp

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm looking at an ancient photograph of John Elway.

He's unloading what looks to be a station wagon. He's got a bag slung over his shoulder, a giant suitcase in one hand and a stuffed gym bag in the other.

His thick blonde hair, cut in Prince Valiant style, is topped with a baseball cap. He's wearing short shorts and tube socks up to his knees. He's got a goofy grin on his face.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_21173740/peyton-manning-hype-cant-compare-john-elways-rookie

topscribe
07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the review, Carol. I remember the mania, but I do not recall a lot of the details.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I was too small back then, but that is funny.

OMG ELWAY GOT A HAIRCUT!!! FRONT PAGE NEWS.

Simple Jaded
07-28-2012, 01:50 AM
That was before cell phones, twitter and NFL Network hyperbole, I can't imagine the circus it'd be in today's era.......

Npba900
07-28-2012, 09:09 AM
I remember that time. I was stationed at what was then Lowry AFB in Denver. It was an absolute freaking circus. Crowds were piling into Dove Valley just to witness for the first time the incredible arm strength of then the 23 year old Elway. Dam.....1983, almost 30 years ago, where has the time gone!

For all youngsters back then or for those of you not yet born, going to Dove Valley and watching Elway was something special to behold. He had more talent and upside than even Manning! John could make all the throws but most impressively he could throw the ball on a "rope" across his body! No QB in NFL history could do that. Most cases when a QB throws the ball across his body they lose velocity and the ball floats or hangs, thus giving opposing LB's and CB's the chance to intercept; but not with Elway.

We would scream-yell with amazement and hi-5 each other watching rookie Elway unleash his missiles. You could actually hear a "Hissing" like sound on his throws I kid you not! Then of course, Elway had amazing-deceptive escapability and speed to get away from the pass rush and extend plays.

Seriously! Back in Elway's rookie season, myself and a couple of bodies video taped Elway from the time he took the snap from behind center--dropping back-until his release, just so we could put the tape in to the VCR and watch it "Slow" motion. What we discovered with in seconds, Elway had this move where he would have a slight "Hunch" in his throwing shoulder which he would "Dip" down ever so slightly and then simultaneously he would "Twist-his waist around" and just release ball with the quickest muscle twitch that just didn't seem humanly possible!

Imagine had Elway been drafted by the 49ers with Bill Walsh as the coach w/o Montana! It would have been something special to behold. Elway playing along side all that freaking talent!! Elway would have changed how the QB position was played.

Dzone
07-28-2012, 10:10 AM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/elway.jpg