PDA

View Full Version : John Elway Talks: Manning, Tebow and the Insane Tebow Conspiracy Theories!

Cugel
07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I thought this interview with Jason Cole about how Elway lured Manning to Denver is fascinating, particularly when he talks about the Tebow conspiracy theories:

John Elway Q&A: How the Hall of Fame QB lured Peyton Manning to the Broncos (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--john-elway-q-a--how-the-hall-of-fame-qb-lured-peyton-manning-to-the-broncos.html)

Cole comes right out and asks him about the insane "Elway's jealous of Tebow" conspiracy theories:

Jason Cole: Last season, there were some people who said that you didn't want Tim Tebow to succeed because you didn't want someone to eclipse you as a great player in Denver sports lore. Now, you go get Peyton Manning, someone who is certainly on your level. So it seems you're not afraid of that.

John Elway: I don't know how you win at this level without one of those guys. Now, there are exceptions, but that's the general rule and Peyton gives us that opportunity to compete for a world championship. You have to have a guy with that capability.

Cole: But when people were saying that …

Elway: It's ridiculous. Why would I come back [to be Broncos VP] and not want that guy? Why would I not want a great quarterback when I know that's what you need to win a championship? That's why it's ridiculous. But there's so much more out there in terms of social media. So the fans launch into that and all of a sudden it's being picked up and written. It's infuriating, but that's why I really learned to worry about what I can control and not worry about the stuff I can't.

This is what I've been saying since the end of last season. Elway was "furious" with the insane Tebow fans and that very obviously played a role in getting Tebow out of town.

Here's the scenario: He comes back to try and win another championship. Dude has well over $100 million. He doesn't need the aggravation of working if he isn't in it for the Lombardi Trophy. He doesn't think Tebow is the QB to do that. 31 other teams agree since NOBODY wants Tebow as their starting QB and most don't want the Tebow circus in their town at any price.

But, the imbecilic Teboners argue that "Elway is just jealous of Tebow eclipsing his popularity in Denver." You can imagine how irritating and difficult it is for Elway to deal with that kind of irrational fan reaction. He has to worry during every single statement whether somehow he's going to "give offense" to Tebow's lunatic, thin-skinned fans who will feel that he's somehow "slighting" Tebow.

Who needs the aggravation? This is why I suspect that even if Manning had chosen to go elsewhere the Broncos would still have dealt Tebow and let the idiot fan-boys rage.

He just didn't believe Tebow was the answer, and for Elway it's all about winning the SB. Period. If he has to ruffle some fan feathers, tough.

Getting Manning was just icing on the cake, since it made it impossible for anybody but the most deluded Teboners to criticize Broncos management.

BroncoWave
07-27-2012, 05:03 PM
See what I mean Rav? It's the Tebow haters who can't let him go. In an article that is 95% about things other than Tebow Cug decides to focus an entire rant on that one part.

OrangeHoof
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
See what I mean Rav? It's the Tebow haters who can't let him go. In an article that is 95% about things other than Tebow Cug decides to focus an entire rant on that one part.

Yup. That's how it reads to me too. It might be entirely possible that a) Elway really wanted Manning in Denver because he gave them a better chance to win now and b) Tebow is irrelevant to whether to go after Manning. But somehow Elway is instead motivated by Tebow fanboys to get the circus off his back.

I prefer to believe Elway thought Manning was worth the gamble whether Tebow, Orton or Cutler was the current QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Maybe Cug has heard the same things I have in regards to Tebow being traded. My youngest sister now can not STAND Elway - i.e. Elway lied when he said he would be working with Tebow, etc., etc., etc. Also, a friend of mine at Church now feels the same way about Elway.

Cugel
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Yup. That's how it reads to me too. It might be entirely possible that a) Elway really wanted Manning in Denver because he gave them a better chance to win now and b) Tebow is irrelevant to whether to go after Manning. But somehow Elway is instead motivated by Tebow fanboys to get the circus off his back.

I prefer to believe Elway thought Manning was worth the gamble whether Tebow, Orton or Cutler was the current QB.

There's absolutely no doubt of that. And there's no doubt that it was worth the gamble. How many times does a sure-fire, first ballot Hall of Fame QB come onto the FA market with perhaps 3 to 5 good years left?

Not too often.

My point though remains.

Yes, most of the story is about how Elway lured Manning to Denver. But, if you've been paying attention, you've read that story before. He's said over and over that the key was allowing Manning to feel comfortable with the process, not trying to pressure him into an early decision, yada, yada.

If you haven't read that before, then yes this is newsworthy, and it's interesting in any case.

What HAS NOT BEEN SAID BEFORE, and what is therefore worth posting is Elway's describing his reaction to the whole Tebow fan-boy conspiracy rumors that were swirling around all last season.

We now know exactly how Elway reacted to them. Not only was he very aware of them they were "infuriating" and "hard to deal with." The fans were questioning his integrity in the most ludicrous fashion.

So, pardon me for picking the one item of real new news from the rest and emphasizing that. Because I don't believe Elway has publicly said anything before about how the crazy rumors of last season affected him personally and what he thought about it all.

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
How is this thread different than the one that blamed Decker for dropping passes in order to make Tebow look better? Lmao, it goes both ways on this board.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:19 PM
How is this thread different than the one that blamed Decker for dropping passes in order to make Tebow look better? Lmao, it goes both ways on this board.

Well for one that thread never mentioned it until Rav or you brought it up.

It was an article stating he dropped a pass, just like he dropped passes last season. That was it .

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Well for one that thread never mentioned it until Rav or you brought it up.

It was an article stating he dropped a pass, just like he dropped passes last season. That was it .

The **** it didnt. Sorry, your full of shit. You must of not read the entire thing.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
The **** it didnt. Sorry, your full of shit.

sure ok, learn to read and it will get you far

...Well, its just one drop, but there's not going to be any more excuses for dropped passes...Manning won't accept that...

This is what was type by the OP including the link and part of an article.

The WR corps has a lot to prove IMO now that there is no longer a scape goat for them....Put up or shut up.

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:34 PM
sure ok

From the original topic.

On the other hand, some of the fans I sat with also frequently remarked during practice how Tebow couldn't make the throws that Manning was completing. Tebow's accuracy and mechanical issues throwing were hot topics of conversation. Perhaps the most enlightening moment for the our group was when a Broncos employee (clearly wearing Broncos gear and standing next to the field) turned to us at one point after wide receiver Eric Decker dropped a perfect pass from Manning and said "you can't blame any of that on the quarterback anymore."

Can you say OWNED? I can.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
From the original topic.

Can you say OWNED? I can.

Um, not owned. OP stated Manning wont accept drops. Um read a little there buddy instead of making assumptions.

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Um, not owned. OP stated Manning wont accept drops. Um read a little there buddy instead of making assumptions.

I highlighted it in red. He was clearly talking about Tebow. Sorry, you fail again.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I highlighted it in red. He was clearly talking about Tebow. Sorry, you fail again.

haha sure. You and several others see what you want. I forgot BTB stated it perfectly in different thread.

You see the mention of a QB and have to mention Tebow. No matter the thread. It is quite ridiculous and getting annoying. Cant mention a WR or anything with you guys mention well Tebows gone its fixed. For **** sake leave Tebow out of it.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:45 PM

BTW you highlighted the article not what the OP stated. OP stated Manning wont accept dropped passes. He said Manning so that means he automatically means Tebow. I forgot you can not mention Manning with it meaning Tebow.

And it was RAV who mentioned Tebow first when it was a Decker/Manning thread.

Northman
haha sure. You and several others see what you want. I forgot BTB stated it perfectly in different thread.

You see the mention of a QB and have to mention Tebow. No matter the thread. It is quite ridiculous and getting annoying. Cant mention a WR or anything with you guys mention well Tebows gone its fixed. For **** sake leave Tebow out of it.

Really.

Oh, and for the record it was a Tebow fan in post #9 that brought him up first outside of the guy in the article.

How dare you try and paint any Bronco the past couple years not named Tim Tebow in a bad light.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/414817-Decker-Up-to-His-Old-Tricks-Again

Northman
BTW you highlighted the article not what the OP stated. OP stated Manning wont accept dropped passes. He said Manning so that means he automatically means Tebow. I forgot you can not mention Manning with it meaning Tebow.

And it was RAV who mentioned Tebow first when it was a Decker/Manning thread.

Man, your reading comprehension is terrible.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Man, your reading comprehension is terrible.

just a step up better then yours. I can actually stay on topic, like in that thread.

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:49 PM
just a step up better then yours. I can actually stay on topic, like in that thread.

Nice backpeddle. Like i said. Owned.

NightTerror218
07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice backpeddle. Like i said. Owned.

Now I just laugh at you. I never back peddled. What is your address, i am going to mail you a dictionary and thesaurus. Maybe you can share it with Zam too or get him to at least read over before he hits enter.

Northman
07-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Now I just laugh at you. I never back peddled. What is your address, i am going to mail you a dictionary and thesaurus. Maybe you can share it with Zam too or get him to at least read over before he hits enter.

It would probably help you a lot more than me considering you couldnt even understand the article in the Decker thread correctly followed by who actually brought up Tebow first in the comments. lmao

MOtorboat
07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
So, even though this isn't the thread, what in the hell was that employee of the Broncos talking about in the Yahoo! article?

Orton?

Northman
07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
So, even though this isn't the thread, what in the hell was that employee of the Broncos talking about in the Yahoo! article?

Orton?

Had to be. No way possible it would be the guy that played most of the year. lmao

Ravage!!!
07-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Hey. I get where the Tebow defenders are coming from. You feel EVERYONE is attackign all the time, because thats what you see. I felt the same way when YOU and several others kept attacking Cutler when he was traded away. I was, and am, a Cutler defender and was constantly having to fend off what felt like unwarranted attacks. But it didn't stop you then. What bothers you now, is that instead of you being on one side of the fence, you are on the other.

But if you don't think the Vandy, 218, underrated29 (especially 29) and a few others will throw out defenses for Tebow, or attacks at the WRs/Defense/coaching... in defense of Tebow, at EVERY turn.... then you are being blind to your own bias.

Chef Zambini
07-28-2012, 03:11 PM
part of the appeal of signing manning is that it would make it easier to DUMP TEBOW !

ELWAY was without question EAGER to dump TEBOW!

ANYONE who disputes elways desire to dump tenbow is an IDIOT, read that !
why was JE so eager to dump TT?
becaUSE HE SUCKS AND HIS ZEALOT FOLLOWERS are a huge pain in the ass !
the above message brought to you by the concept of reality !

BroncoWave
07-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey. I get where the Tebow defenders are coming from. You feel EVERYONE is attackign all the time, because thats what you see. I felt the same way when YOU and several others kept attacking Cutler when he was traded away. I was, and am, a Cutler defender and was constantly having to fend off what felt like unwarranted attacks. But it didn't stop you then. What bothers you now, is that instead of you being on one side of the fence, you are on the other.

But if you don't think the Vandy, 218, underrated29 (especially 29) and a few others will throw out defenses for Tebow, or attacks at the WRs/Defense/coaching... in defense of Tebow, at EVERY turn.... then you are being blind to your own bias.

You've still failed to provide any examples of this. I've provided several to my point.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 02:31 AM
the zealot tebow fans cant accept that JEW thinks he is an inept QB, so they have to assume that JE is jealous. people who think TT is a legitimate NFL QB are delerious and they will allow themselves to believe anything except the reality that tebow sucks as a passing QB !
Tebow is a fullback that occasionaly will complete a pass !

Thnikkaman
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Zam, Please edit your post to change JEW to John Elway (I believe that is what you meant to type).

Tned
07-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Maybe Cug has heard the same things I have in regards to Tebow being traded. My youngest sister now can not STAND Elway - i.e. Elway lied when he said he would be working with Tebow, etc., etc., etc. Also, a friend of mine at Church now feels the same way about Elway.

I look at it differently. Even if Elway was 100% sincere in his statements about working with Tebow in the offseason, once they made the decision to make the run at Manning, that changed everything. With Tebow, even if he made great strides in the offseason, he was unlikely to be a polished pocket passer by '12, which means if he was going to be the backup QB, the offense was going to have to spend some time on Tebow friendly formations/plays.

While there is part of me that's upset that Tebow's gone, since if he does turn into a quality passer, his other skills will make him a formidable QB. The problem is that's looking like a long shot project. Going the way they did, getting Manning and Brock, they it gives the Broncos a much higher percentage chance of both winning now and having a long term solid QB option for the future.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
for a;ll the non zealot yet tebow enthusiasts there is this:
TEBOW considers himself a starting QB, he wants to be a starter, he wants to be on the field.
JE and the broncos gave him the option of where he wanted to go, it was TEBOWS choice to be a jet! he could have gone back home to florida! but tebow felt he had a better chance getting on the field in NY ! both TT and the broncos took LESS to send TT where he wanted to go !
so tell your sister and others to stop hating on TT they , (TT and the broncos) did what tim wanted!

FlyByU
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I am happy Manning is here as long as he can still preform at a high level that is. If he has lost it over the year sitting out then I'll be disappointed. However, I feel if Manning is half what he was we can still win the AFC West, and maybe a playoff game or two.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
manning at 33%
is bettere than tebow at 125%

Ravage!!!
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
You've still failed to provide any examples of this. I've provided several to my point.

You've provided examples of what when I didn't? What are you talking about? :confused: