PDA

View Full Version : A relatively fair analysis of 2009

Dean
07-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I thought that this unit analysis by Yahoo IMO is unbiased to slightly optimistic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=teamreports-2009-nfl-den&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report&start_row=351

Broncos Team Report
Yahoo! Sports
Jul 17, 2:16 am EDT

Camp Calendar: Broncos camp begins in full on July 31, when veterans have their first practice, and ends on Aug. 20. On July 27, rookies will report to training camp. The Broncos will also practice twice at Invesco Field at Mile High, for the public on Aug. 6 and again on Aug. 10.

NOTES, QUOTES

• Two weeks before training camp, the Broncos had signed only one of their 10 draft picks. Seventh-round pick Blake Schlueter(notes), a center, signed early in the offseason.

Denver has never had two first-round picks in team history, which means the team has never had to sign two first-round picks before camp started. Running back Knowshon Moreno(notes) and linebacker Robert Ayers(notes) are both expected to play big roles for the team, so avoiding a holdout by either one will be a top priority for the Broncos.

• Receiver Brandon Marshall was part of workouts at the University of Minnesota with Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald(notes) and NFL legend Jerry Rice(notes), among others. Marshall is coming back after offseason hip surgery.

• One change for the Broncos’ camp this year under Josh McDaniels will be early evening practices. Under Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, when the team had two practices in a day, one was in mid-afternoon. Denver’s first practice during two-a-days will be 8:30 a.m., the second will go from 5:30-7:30 p.m.

Quote To Note: “It’s $14,000 a day if I miss. I’m not stupid.” - Broncos WR Brandon Marshall to ESPN on a potential training camp holdout.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Broncos have turned over most of the roster since Josh McDaniels took over, so more change wouldn’t be unexpected. The team still needs help in some areas, specifically on the defensive line.

Denver also will look at solidifying other areas, especially if they can get help on special teams. That has been a high priority for coach Josh McDaniels.

Unit-by-unit Analysis

Quarterbacks: Starter - Kyle Orton. Backups - Chris Simms(notes), Tom Brandstater(notes).

The Broncos diffused a training camp controversy by naming Orton the starter, even though Josh McDaniels said many times he was going to take his time to pick between Orton and Simms. Although Simms looked good in minicamps, throwing the ball well and showing he is 100 percent healthy, Orton has a longer track record of success in the NFL. He played well before an ankle injury last year, and there wasn’t any reason to delay the decision. Orton doesn’t have a huge arm but is a smart quarterback and should fit nicely in McDaniels’ offense. He could have a very good season, making the loss of Jay Cutler(notes) sting a little less for Broncos fans. If Orton falters, Simms is an intriguing player. He has a ton of physical skill. Brandstater is going to watch and learn from the two veterans ahead of him.

Running Backs: Starters - TB Correll Buckhalter(notes), FB Peyton Hillis(notes). Backups - TB LaMont Jordan(notes), TB Knowshon Moreno, TB Darius Walker(notes), TB Ryan Torain(notes), FB Spencer Larsen(notes).

It would be a surprise if Moreno doesn’t top the depth chart as a rookie, and he could be the starter by opening day. But he isn’t there yet. He ran third behind Buckhalter and Jordan, who split first-team reps. Buckhalter and Jordan will probably carve out a role, even if Moreno passes them. Buckhalter was a solid part-time back with Philadelphia and Jordan is a bruiser who knows the offense. Moreno is an all-around threat who the Broncos selected 12th overall despite pressing defensive needs. He can play all three downs and has elite talent. He might not have a monster rookie season because of the presence of Buckhalter and Jordan, but will make an immediate impact. Hillis will be used somehow - he is too talented to keep on the bench or use as a blocker only. Walker and Torain will need solid training camp performances to lock up a spot on the team. Larsen is back to his role playing offense and defense.

Tight Ends: Starter - Daniel Graham(notes). Backups - Tony Scheffler(notes), Richard Quinn(notes), Jeb Putzier(notes), Marquez Branson.

Graham is the starter and will continue his role as one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL. He even increased his production in the passing game last season, and will catch a few balls this year too. An interesting story in the offseason was the arc of Scheffler, who was involved in trade rumors and didn’t know his role with the new coaching staff, but was a big part of the offense in the latter minicamps. The coaching staff has obviously figured out he can be a weapon in the offense because of his receiving ability. Quinn is more Graham than Scheffler, as a bruising blocker who had very few catches in college. Still, Denver thinks he can become an all-around tight end.

Wide Receivers: Starters - Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal. Backups - Jabar Gaffney, Brandon Stokley, Chad Jackson(notes), Kenny McKinley(notes), Brandon Lloyd(notes), David Grimes, Matthew Willis, Lucas Taylor, Nate Swift, C.J. Jones(notes)

All the focus will be on Marshall, after he had a tumultuous offseason that included a trade request and minicamp holdout. He has had 100 catches in back-to-back seasons and should be a good fit in the new offense, which doesn’t go vertical very often. Marshall could have another nice season if he gets on board, but his catch numbers could drop. Royal had a good season as a rookie and it’s easy to see him in the same role Wes Welker(notes) plays for New England. Expect Royal to catch a lot of passes this season. McDaniels likes to spread the field, so backups like Gaffney could have a nice season too. Stokley is reliable and could find a fit in the offense. Jackson has good physical tools and had a good offseason. McKinley had a productive college career and is an interesting prospect if he can stay healthy. There’s a lot of receivers after them who are fighting for a job.

Offensive Linemen: Starters - LT Ryan Clady(notes), LG Ben Hamilton(notes), C Casey Wiegmann(notes), RG Chris Kuper(notes), RT Ryan Harris(notes). Backups - T Tyler Polumbus(notes), G/C Kory Lichtensteiger(notes), G Seth Olsen(notes), G Pat Murray(notes), T Brandon Gorin(notes), G Mitch Erickson(notes), C Blake Schlueter, G Matt McChesney(notes), T Clint Oldenburg(notes), T Stanley Bryant.

If Clady and Harris can come close to replicating their fantastic 2008 seasons and Wiegmann’s play stays at a high level, this could be one of the best offensive lines in football. This is an athletic line that can also clear holes for the running game. The unit also played very well together last year, and all five starters are back. Clady, in particular, looks like a potential All-Pro. He’s a massive player with incredible feet. The guard play is also solid with veteran Hamilton and athletic youngster Kuper. The tackle depth isn’t great, but Denver has some good prospects on the interior. The unit remained healthy last year, and the Broncos will be hoping for another lucky year with injuries.

Defensive Linemen: Starters - DE Kenny Peterson(notes), NT Ronald Fields(notes), DE Ryan McBean(notes). Backups - NT Marcus Thomas, DE Nic Clemons(notes), DE Matthias Askew(notes), DE J’Vonne Parker(notes), NT Carlton Powell(notes), DE Rulon Davis, NT Chris Baker(notes), NT Everette Pedescleaux.

The Broncos are gambling this group, full of unknowns and castoffs, takes to the scheme and improves. There is not one standout among them. Among the top four ends, there is only one combined NFL start. Fields didn’t start a NFL game either of the last two seasons. Thomas might be the most accomplished of Denver’s linemen with 21 starts the last two seasons, but he isn’t a natural nose tackle. The good news is the Broncos have big linemen for their 3-4 scheme, and they could keep linemen busy and allow the linebackers to make plays. The Broncos wouldn’t reach on defensive linemen in the draft, so this is a unit that the team will have to address next offseason. For now, they hope a few players emerge to be solid contributors.

Linebackers: Starters - OLB Robert Ayers, ILB D.J. Williams(notes), ILB Andra Davis(notes), OLB Darrell Reid(notes). Backups - OLB Elvis Dumervil(notes), OLB Tim Crowder(notes), ILB Mario Haggan(notes), ILB Nick Greisen(notes), ILB Wesley Woodyard(notes), OLB Jarvis Moss(notes), ILB Lee Robinson.

Ayers can play end, and will in passing situations, but the team seems to want to use him mostly at outside linebacker in base situations. Most of Denver’s other outside linebackers are converted 4-3 ends. Reid is moving from tackle to outside linebacker, but was with the first team most of the offseason. Dumervil is a natural pass rusher and should find a role that accentuates his strengths. Crowder is also a possibility for playing time. Moss, a former first-round pick, needs to make a move up the depth chart. The inside is solid. Williams will play the weak side and could have a huge season. He has a chance to make his first Pro Bowl. Davis is a productive veteran. There is good depth behind them, and Larsen can always move back to inside linebacker from fullback if needed.

Defensive Backs: Starters - CB Champ Bailey(notes), S Brian Dawkins(notes), S Renaldo Hill(notes), CB Andre Goodman. Backups - CB Alphonso Smith(notes), CB Jack Williams(notes), CB Joshua Bell, S Darcel McBath(notes), S Josh Barrett(notes), S David Bruton(notes), S Vernon Fox(notes), CB Tony Carter, CB D.J. Johnson.

The Broncos secondary isn’t young - every starter is 30 or older - but they will be better. The safety position had to be overhauled after a miserable 2008. Dawkins and Hill were signed to start and McBath and Bruton were drafted to provide depth. Dawkins is older but he is coming off a solid season and should have a couple more good years in him. Hill is solid as well. The Broncos are in much better hands at safety this season, which will help the run and pass defense. Cornerback will be better too, if Bailey stays healthy. Bailey is tough but missed a large chunk of the season with a bad groin injury. If he’s back to 100 percent he will again be one of the best corners in the NFL. Goodman got a big contract and the Broncos are hoping he stands up to the pressure of being opposite Bailey better than Dre Bly. Smith should win the nickel spot, considering the Broncos gave up their 2010 first-round pick to take him in the second round, but Williams and Bell were competing for the spot in the offseason.

Special Teams: K Matt Prater(notes), P Brett Kern(notes), P Britton Colquitt, LS Lonie Paxton(notes), KR Eddie Royal, PR Alphonso Smith.

Prater had his ups and downs last season, but the team didn’t sign anyone to compete with him. The job is his, for better or worse. He said that he was fatigued by the end of last season, so he switched his practice habits to make sure he is fresh for the second half of the season. Kern had a solid rookie season, but Colquitt is talented too and could push Kern for the job. The Paxton signing was odd because the Broncos already had a top long-snapper in Mike Leach(notes), but that shouldn’t take anything away from Paxton, who is also among the best in the NFL. The returner spots will be decided in camp and the preseason, although Royal and Smith are two of the top candidates for either job.

Copyright © 2009 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

Thank the Lord camp will soon begin!

Lonestar
07-19-2009, 05:52 PM
seems to be a decent report on the issues..

Elevation inc
07-20-2009, 07:14 AM
def.....a pretty indepth report......kudos to the writer and the OP for posting the article

my sole worry is the DL, We have the Lb's and secondary to make plays its just a matter of whether our ends can hold of the OL....if they can buy even a little time for the Lb's to make plays we will improve on last year. our biggest issue against the run last year was our secondary however and scheme dysfunction, fixing that instantly upgrades our run defense by at least seven to ten spots.

i belive our pass rush will be better based on scheme and playcalling alone. this is not a safety defense where you sit back and let the play develop its a attack defense. the pass rush may not be extrodinary but i belive crowder/dumervil and ayers will suprise many and we will create more pressure than we have the last few years. this will also help our pass defense ranking improve with a pretty solid secondary.

NT and rush Lb are obviously the key psots of worry.....fields is about to hit year 3 so maybe that 3rd year lightbulb hits and he suprises. adequate play from him will keep us above water through a tough schedule, but if our ends dont help we could be screwed. we certainly thomas and peterson to be good and a guy like baker or mcbean needs to step-up for this DL to work adequately......

on offense i dont have a single worry even at Qb as teams have gotten to the SB just fine with out 4000yd a season passers with a high INT rate......loved cutler but sometimes a system does makes a QB very good, we could see that here in denver.....and with the weapons we have orton could be primed for a career year......

very excited about our offense, and much of our defense.....very worried about our 3 front though

regardless i think we will improve in almost every statistical category like pass rush/scoring defense for and against/rush defense/pass defense/oppents avg start position/Run offense/Offensive efficciency/Red zone offense/scoring offense....etc....

bronc kid
07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
my biggest worry is the dl obviously it is the biggest problem for the broncs but another thing i am scared of is qb i no that kyle orton is a smart accurate qb but i just dont have a good feeling about him plus i think we should start tony scheffler on passing plays he is a far better recieving tight end then daniel graham and his blocking skills can get better plus i dont think that we should throw in knowshon moreno off so quick as a starting back i think we should keep him in the mix but he still doesnt need to start to quick maby see if he can do well in a couple of games and increase his reps but we cant put all of are young talent to an overload or we are goin to have the same problem as we had last year the broncos need to get some better linebackers as well i dont like our chances against LT and darren sproles if we have the soft linebacker core we have now but i do like this guys post its very detailed and has plenty of info

bronc kid
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
im worried elvis dumervill isnt big or strong enough to play 3-4 de and tim crowder is unproven and cant really do much

Northman
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Elvis will be a bigger factor as a LB than he was as DL. He has the speed for it. However, the DL itself is still a major question but i wonder if Nolan is going to scheme some blitz packages to mix it up.

As for Orton, im not really worried. He has experience, temperment, and is a team oriented kind of guy. He may not have the physical gifts that Jay has but as this gentleman pointed out he is a perfect fit for what McDaniels is wanting to do. I wouldnt be surprised if the 2009 Denver Broncos become a more "run" oriented team. People who were expecting all the passing yards last year most likely will not see that this year as im sure the focus is to score TD's and not FG's . Im fully expecting a more physical team in every aspect this year compared to the last few under Shanahan. Hopefully, the team trainers and physicians will be much more improved than they have been as injuries have plagued us.

GEM
07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Quote To Note: “It’s $14,000 a day if I miss. I’m not stupid.” - Broncos WR Brandon Marshall to ESPN on a potential training camp holdout.

You sure about that? :laugh: He's all on top of it if it concerns his money. Not so much when it comes to keeping his hands off women, driving drunk, putting his arm through tv's.

NightTrainLayne
07-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Stokley is reliable and could find a fit in the offense.

You don't say. .. . :D

Nice write-up. I can't wait.

horsepig
07-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I just hope the whole team becomes aggressive. Football is, afterall, a pretty damn aggressive affair.

Letting the play develop is the no. 1 dumbest thing a DC could even think off. That nonsense should be reserved for NFL DC's nightmares.

Simple Jaded
07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I just hope the whole team becomes aggressive. Football is, afterall, a pretty damn aggressive affair.

Letting the play develop is the no. 1 dumbest thing a DC could even think off. That nonsense should be reserved for NFL DC's nightmares.

You mean everybody BUT the QB, right? Cutler was nothing, if not aggressive, and apparently fans would prefer a more measured/Paint-by-Numbers approach.

Bed-wetting Game-Manager > Gunslinger.......leave the aggressiveness to the rest of the team.

Although, I wouldn't call Mike Nolan's defenses aggressive either, unfortunately.......

Tned
07-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Almost makes me think we can make a playoff run. Can't wait for camp to start.

Dean
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Almost makes me think we can make a playoff run. Can't wait for camp to start.

I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic.:confused:

Superchop 7
07-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Stokely needs to re-work that contract or hit the road.

j3phr3y
07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
You mean everybody BUT the QB, right? Cutler was nothing, if not aggressive, and apparently fans would prefer a more measured/Paint-by-Numbers approach.

Bed-wetting Game-Manager > Gunslinger.......leave the aggressiveness to the rest of the team.

Although, I wouldn't call Mike Nolan's defenses aggressive either, unfortunately.......

Personally I love aggressive play from everyone. That is why I was such a huge Plummer fan, even if it meant going too far (left handed pass) every now and then. And why I was with Shanahan when he drafted a true gun slinger (Cutler) to replace a proven winner (Plummer) after going to the AFC championship game. And why I was cool with Bowlen firing a living legend (Shanahan) for an unproven "kid genius". And why I'm cool with McDaniels building the team as he sees fit, even if it means replacing the best QB since Elway.

Aggressiveness is in the very culture of Broncos football. If Denver should fail, it will not be for lack of aggressiveness.

Simple Jaded
07-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Personally I love aggressive play from everyone. That is why I was such a huge Plummer fan, even if it meant going too far (left handed pass) every now and then. And why I was with Shanahan when he drafted a true gun slinger (Cutler) to replace a proven winner (Plummer) after going to the AFC championship game. And why I was cool with Bowlen firing a living legend (Shanahan) for an unproven "kid genius". And why I'm cool with McDaniels building the team as he sees fit, even if it means replacing the best QB since Elway.

Aggressiveness is in the very culture of Broncos football. If Denver should fail, it will not be for lack of aggressiveness.

Aggressiveness, Stupidity.........Potato, Potato.......

horsepig
07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Aggressiveness, Stupidity.........Potato, Potato.......

Don't you mean potato, potatoe?

Maybe tomato, tomoto?

hotcarl
07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Don't you mean potato, potatoe?

Maybe tomato, tomoto?

fly away troll

FanInAZ
07-31-2009, 11:30 PM
They that live by the blitz shall also die by the blitz.

1. There are plays especially designed to burn aggressive/blitzing defenses. Teams with veteren QBs who are on the same page with their veteren WRs will burn a blitz on every down defense all day long. That why when Kurt Warner wanted defenses to blitz in all of those years that he went to the SBs.

2. Agressive strong safties have a nack for biting on play action fakes; like in SB XXXIII Elway did a play action faked to TD and the Falcons strong safty took 2 step forward before realizing it was a fake. By that time Rod Smith was about 10-15 yard beyond him. The safty tried to catch up, but Elway's pass was perfect and so he didn't have chance.

Defensive players need to be smart. They need to read the offense to figure out what its trying to do and then stop it. If they take too long figuring out the play, then the offense will pick them apart piece by piece. If their too quick in reacting, then they will get burned big. Smart players think fast and before they react.

Dean
08-01-2009, 05:27 PM
im worried elvis dumervill isnt big or strong enough to play 3-4 de and tim crowder is unproven and cant really do much

Stink (Mark Schlereth) does you a one better. He on Sportscenter called the front seven "garbage".

:shocked:

TXBRONC
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree with you Dean that the analysis is fair, but I think one part is quite right. If McDaniels runs the offense anything like he did in New England he will make every effort the stretch the field vertically as well as horizontally.

T.K.O.
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Stink (Mark Schlereth) does you a one better. He on Sportscenter called the front seven "garbage".

:shocked:

was he talking about what we fielded last year or the guys in camp now ?

topscribe
08-01-2009, 07:03 PM
was he talking about what we fielded last year or the guys in camp now ?

I heard about it, too. It was my understanding Schlereth was talking about last year's bunch . . .

-----

Dean
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I heard about it, too. It was my understanding Schlereth was talking about last year's bunch . . .

-----

They were talking about the AFL west prospects. When they got to the Broncos he made the statement that the front seven were garbage and that they were going to have a tough time this season. I understood it to be that he meant this year's defensive front seven were lower than whale crap. ;)

T.K.O.
08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
They were talking about the AFL west prospects. When they got to the Broncos he made the statement that the front seven were garbage and that they were going to have a tough time this season. I understood it to be that he meant this year's defensive front seven were lower than whale crap. ;)

yeah .....and everybody said clady was too dumb to play in the nfl......
maybe that means we'll have a probowl dline:salute:

Dean
08-02-2009, 09:33 AM
yeah .....and everybody said clady was too dumb to play in the nfl......
maybe that means we'll have a probowl dline:salute:

One, I only saw just a few individuals on message boards that said that and two, it wasn't Mark Schlereth that said it.

I understand your point that because a person makes a statement does not in any way mean that they are correct. By the same reasoning it does not make it false either. However, almost all projections of the Broncos strengths and weaknesses in '09 show extreme doubt in the talent of our front three and whether our hybrid OLBs can make the transition this season.

nevcraw
08-02-2009, 10:17 AM

-----

He was talking about this year's bunch...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-2526/Video--Best-and-worst-moves-in-AFC-West.html

nevcraw
08-02-2009, 10:18 AM
One, I only saw just a few individuals on message boards that said that and two, it wasn't Mark Schlereth that said it.

I understand your point that because a person makes a statement does not in any way mean that they are correct. By the same reasoning it does not make it false either. However, almost all projections of the Broncos strengths and weaknesses in '09 show extreme doubt in the talent of our front three and whether our hybrid OLBs can make the transition this season.

yes he did.. see link..

edit - wrong discussion..

Dean
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
yes he did.. see link..

Please furnish the link that says that Schlereth said that Clady was too dumb to play in the NFL.

nevcraw
08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Please furnish the link that says that Schlereth said that Clady was too dumb to play in the NFL.

My bad Dean.. didn't realize you were talking about Clady.. though the discussion was still on Stink calling the front 7 "garbage".

topscribe
08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Yes, you're right. I finally got to view the clip where Stink said that, and he was
indeed talking about this year's front seven.

I disagree with him, though, in that no one knows what the Broncos have in the
front seven. I think Schlereth may have been going by what he sees as the
same personnel as last year's. However, Fields, Baker, Andra Davis, Reid,
McBean, Pedescleaux, and Powell (injury) are among those who were not
there, and Ayers will eventually join them.

Moreover, players such as Crowder, Dumervil, and Thomas are reportedly
doing significantly better at their new positions, and D.J. thinks he will do
better than he ever has at his.

I don't view the front seven as "garbage." I don't think even the coaches
there know yet what they have. McDaniels said he wouldn't know until they
put the pads on (which you understand as well, of course), and they've had
them on only a couple days.

I respect Schlereth, but if the coaches don't yet know, I don't know how he
thinks he does. :noidea:

-----