PDA

View Full Version : A super secondary for Broncos?

Lonestar
07-19-2009, 03:48 AM
Denver's otherwise shaky defense may have one of NFL's best corps of DBs
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

From left, Renaldo Hill, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman are the projected starters in the Broncos' upgraded secondary. (Reza A. Marvashti, The Denver Post )Operating amid thunderous outrage of what was a tumultuous start to the offseason, the Broncos may have quietly gathered one of the NFL's best secondaries.

"We should be the top secondary in the league," strong safety Renaldo Hill said. "I don't think anyone is expecting anything less."

The boldness of Hill's statement was nearly concealed by his low-key delivery and unassuming nature. Later, Hill said he meant that through hard work, his unit can become the best. But, upon reflection, there may have been no reason for Hill to backpedal.

Think about it: Name another secondary that has two Hall of Fame-caliber defensive backs with 15 combined Pro Bowls, as the Broncos do in cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins. Added to that are Hill and cornerback Andre Goodman, who received a combined $30 million in new contracts this offseason.

Who else has two candidates for bronze busts and two handsomely paid free agents, who are backed up by two second-round rookies in cornerback Alphonso Smith and safety Darcel McBath?

"Yeah, on paper we sound good," Goodman said. "Super Bowls were never won on paper. At the end of the day, you can put five Hall of Fame players in the secondary, and if you don't win, what does it matter?"

Looks can be deceiving

Case in fear: The 2008 Oakland Raiders. Entering last season, Scouts Inc. ranked the Raiders as having the NFL's No. 1 secondary. Besides the incomparable Nnamdi Asomugha at cornerback and former first-round pick Michael Huff at safety, the Raiders signed cornerback DeAngelo Hall and safety Gibril Wilson to lucrative, free-agent contracts.

They then gathered for the first game of 2008 — and immediately got torched by Jay Cutler and some rookie receiver named Eddie Royal in a 41-14 Broncos victory.

"Right now, we're not even thinking about where we rank as a secondary, we're just trying to get to know each other and jell together," Bailey said. "I don't know a whole lot about Renaldo or Andre, but I know they're smart players, and it seems like they want to do whatever it takes to win. Of course, I knew about Dawk, but after being around him, the thing about him is his intensity. He can put some fear in people."

In his first 13 seasons, Dawkins played for a Philadelphia Eagles secondary that was frequently considered among the league's best. Playing alongside former University of Colorado safety Michael Lewis, Dawkins teamed with the cornerback tandems of, first, Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor, and, then, Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard.

"When I was with Bobby and Troy, I knew Troy was going to jump some things," Dawkins said. "I knew I would have to cheat to his side sometimes. I knew Bobby was going to play a more technique style. Same thing when I got with Sheldon and Lito. Lito is going to jump stuff. I know that. Sheldon is going to be more technique sound on his side. Those are the things you learn as a defense, and I'm starting to get that feel with these guys. Once we get that, once they know that if I get beat on this coverage, Dawk is going to be there, then he's free to make his move without worry."

What's my line?

It wasn't easy for the Broncos to communicate the potential of their new secondary to their public. Even the signing of Dawkins went all but unnoticed. The Broncos signed, and introduced, the seven-time Pro Bowl safety on the same day the Cutler-Matt Cassel nontrade story erupted.

Besides the Cutler saga, the Broncos have received roaring criticism this offseason for what they didn't do to bolster their defensive front. The Broncos ranked 30th against the run in 2007 and allowed 4 more yards per game in 2008.

That old adage about how stopping the run starts up front? Go back and rewind the tape of the New England Patriots' 41-7 pasting of the Broncos last October. As the Pats amassed their most productive ground game in 15 years with 257 yards rushing, they trampled through the flailing likes of safety Calvin Lowry and cornerback Dre Bly.

"We value tackling in the secondary," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, who game-planned that October stampede as the Pats' offensive coordinator last season. "What we tell them is their job is to prevent touchdowns, by not letting balls over their heads, and tackling the runner. If the runner gets to them, they're the last line usually."

Maintaining that last line of defense requires keeping up with speedy receivers and shifty running backs. This led to the biggest question mark regarding the Broncos' secondary: age. The youngest of the starting four is Hill, who turns 31 in November, one month after Dawkins turns 36.

But McDaniels comes from a Patriots organization known for getting high-level play out of such aging defenders as Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau.

"It's just like you said about how good we are on paper — on paper, we are old," Goodman said. "But my true answer: So? If we don't get the job done, then you can blame it on age. You always expect criticism. If age is our criticism, we're doing pretty good, if that's all we've got."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Secondary to none
NFL reporter Mike Klis analyzes six of the NFL's top secondaries, at least on paper, entering the 2009 season:

Baltimore Ravens - Reed, Foxworth, Washington, Landry

Super safety Ed Reed had nine of Ravens' NFL-best 26 interceptions last season.

Green Bay Packers - Woodson, Harris, Collins, Bigby

Ballhawking group that doesn't get the pass-rush help like DBs do in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Taylor, Clark, Polamalu, Townsend

Usually play from ahead, yet allowed league-low 237.2 yards per game last year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Talib, Phillips, Jackson, Barber

This unit is so deep, Ronde Barber, at 34, is considered the most vulnerable.

Indianapolis Colts - Hayden, Jackson, Sanders, Bethea

Allowed a league-low six TD passes last season — six fewer than the next-best total and 30 fewer than Arizona.

Denver Broncos - Bailey, Goodman, Dawkins, Hill

It's too bad Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins didn't team up three or four years ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12867717?source=rss

FanInAZ
07-19-2009, 04:07 AM
The worst enamy of a secondary is a front 7 that can't put pressure on the QB.

roomemp
07-19-2009, 08:50 AM
The worst enamy of a secondary is a front 7 that can't put pressure on the QB.

The best friend of the front seven is a great secondary that can give them more time to create pressure. :salute:

FanInAZ
07-19-2009, 08:56 AM
The best friend of the front seven is a great secondary that can give them more time to create pressure. :salute:

You can only ask the secondary to compensate for the front 7 inablity to do their jobs for so long. If the front 7 can't do their jobs, then the secondary with eventually collapse.

gobroncsnv
07-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Absolutely... even Champ breaks down in coverage when he has to chase a guy for 3 minutes on a pass play. If we didn't solve our lack of pass rush, we didn't solve nothin'!!!

lex
07-19-2009, 11:26 AM

I think most will find this comment slightly naive after having watched the past few years. Of course, you could also find flaw with the past DC too.

WARHORSE
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I believe the secondary can be very good, to great.

But the pass rush will be the great determining factor.

I dont think we'll have a problem with the run from a secondary standpoint.........imo.

Northman
07-19-2009, 12:15 PM

:lol:

Yea, because that worked so well the last 6 years.

Lonestar
07-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I believe the secondary can be very good, to great.

But the pass rush will be the great determining factor.

I dont think we'll have a problem with the run from a secondary standpoint.........imo.

I think the DL is going to be much better than last year but then how could it not be.. just having a coherent scheme should double the DL sacks we had last year.. that coupled with 4 LB that could come from any slot and any of the DB's could join in that means ciaos and opportunity to be much better..

If they can't run at will on you, then there will be more passing and anytime the ball is in the air you have a chance at it.. as we all saw last year with jay almost leading the league in picks.. we could not run and jay had to wing it out..

It appears that Josh has put a premium on getting turn overs.. I see that as a redeeming value that mike and slowitt never seemed to get..

DenBronx
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
WAR David Bruton!

People just don't understand yet.