PDA

View Full Version : ps3 motion

shank
07-19-2009, 02:11 AM
my desire to get tiger 10 for the wii with motionplus had me googling somewhat randomly, and i stumbled upon this video of tech demos of motion tracking using the ps3's camera. looks pretty awesome. consider me excited for when this type of stuff hits stores.

th8_zKa0DKk

LordTrychon
07-19-2009, 04:03 AM
Do you have a wii or PS3 or both?

Microsoft has a similar project, also impressive, but I don't want to hijack.

Shazam!
07-19-2009, 12:20 PM
The 360's motion doesn't use a handheld device.

I think when PS3 and 360 get their motion sensors out, they'll begin tapping into the Wii's market. Wii won't be on top for long, showing with lackluster sales for premium third party titles for hardcore gamers, like The Conduit and Madworld.

sneakers
07-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I have a ps3, and I don't think I will ever use this feature.,.....I am too lazy to move my arms around like that.

shank
07-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Do you have a wii or PS3 or both?

Microsoft has a similar project, also impressive, but I don't want to hijack.

i have nothing at the moment, but i am probably moving in with my brother in like 10 months and he has a ps3. my brother in law has a wii, and i want him to get tiger 10 for it.

i haven't seen anything about the microsoft motion stuff, any good links you've discovered?

MasterShake
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
i have nothing at the moment, but i am probably moving in with my brother in like 10 months and he has a ps3. my brother in law has a wii, and i want him to get tiger 10 for it.

i haven't seen anything about the microsoft motion stuff, any good links you've discovered?

Just some early demo stuff. Who knows how this will compare to the final product.

p2qlHoxPioM

EDIT: If you own a skateboard, why in the hell would you scan it and just play a video game version of it? I think the better graphics are outside. Anyhoo, I'd hold off until they did some cool Call of Duty or Star Wars game on it. The motion stuff is too gimmicky. When I play my friends Nintendo I always opt for the classic controller when playing Mario Galaxy or something. I only really like the Wii motion controller for Mario Kart and Tiger Woods.

BroncoAV06
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
EDIT: If you own a skateboard, why in the hell would you scan it and just play a video game version of it? I think the better graphics are outside. Anyhoo, I'd hold off until they did some cool Call of Duty or Star Wars game on it. The motion stuff is too gimmicky. When I play my friends Nintendo I always opt for the classic controller when playing Mario Galaxy or something. I only really like the Wii motion controller for Mario Kart and Tiger Woods.

Because you can't skate all the time and video games are awesome. Climate controlled enviroment and some pizza and you are good to go!

MasterShake
07-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Because you can't skate all the time and video games are awesome. Climate controlled enviroment and some pizza and you are good to go!

Oh, I understand the fantasy of skateboarding on top of the Golden Gate Bridge or something, just in the video it looked like just a plain ol' neighborhood. Plus, it looked sunny outside to me!

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather stay in and play video games most days. :lol:

shank
07-19-2009, 08:42 PM
i'm not so sure about that video. would be cool, but it's just an idea at this point... the sony video gets me way more excited because it was a live tech demo that ran very well... the xbox one was more of a 'concept video.'

wii is definitely in trouble when both companies enter the motion arena IMO.

Shazam!
07-19-2009, 09:31 PM

The games are what is necessary to set it apart.

shank
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
The games are what is necessary to set it apart.

i have faith in both microsoft and sony... they will do some good things with this type of technology.

MasterShake
07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
i'm not so sure about that video. would be cool, but it's just an idea at this point... the sony video gets me way more excited because it was a live tech demo that ran very well... the xbox one was more of a 'concept video.'

Heres a tech demo. Starts about the 1:00 minute mark:

hNKQXuPhU68

shank
07-19-2009, 10:47 PM
i understand that it's harder to track the body... and it shows IMO. that looks MUCH less precise than the ps3's tech demo with the controller.

but, it may also allow developers to do some things the ps3's tracking can't do.

idk... it's cool, but i'm still more impressed with the ps3 motion tracking -- plus it seems more polished, may be first to the shelves.

Shazam!
07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm personally against it because I fear they'll begin overly catering to the 'casual gamer' ala with the Wii. I think there are 4 titles on the Wii I'd play, and waving around my arms like an idiot I don't want to do. Most of the Wii's sports genres you can do by going to a park and going outside.

Games like Halo, Half Life, Final Fantasy, Gears of War, God of War, Metal Gear, Call of Duty... these games are all different genres, epic in scale, and immersive experiences that don't need any motion.

LordTrychon
07-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I do agree that the PS3 motion tracker seems a bit more responsive at this point, and if XBox can't improve a little, it would be disappointing.

The one other Natal video that was interesting seemed more to do with ai than motion tracking... although facial and object recognition were part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

CrazyHorse
07-27-2009, 11:34 PM
The 360's motion doesn't use a handheld device.

I think when PS3 and 360 get their motion sensors out, they'll begin tapping into the Wii's market. Wii won't be on top for long, showing with lackluster sales for premium third party titles for hardcore gamers, like The Conduit and Madworld.

Thanks for reminding me.
I still need to get those 2 games.
Red Steel and No More Heroes are pretty good too.
I'm looking forward to red steel 2 with the motionplus.
I'm disappointed the motion plus wasn't incorporated into the Wii an inception. It pisses me off.
For a full Wii Controller it's $80.
$40 controller
$20 nunchuk
$20 motion plus

Shazam!
07-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Wii just doesn't do it for me. Too many casual, kiddie and family titles, not to mention the control is finicky and glitchy game to game. Not nearly as diverse a library as it should have. And with all the multiplatform games, Wii's versions are inferior.

CrazyHorse
07-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Yep Madden on the Wii lacks too many features. I heard the best Madden gameplay wise is on PS2 and XBox. (yes 2009 came out for both)