PDA

View Full Version : Coach Kid had to win standoff

Lonestar
07-18-2009, 02:42 AM
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Although beating the Raiders would be sweeter, Josh McDaniels has scored his first major victory as coach of the Broncos.

He made Brandon Marshall blink.

After requesting a trade, threatening a holdout and waving goodbye to Broncomaniacs in his blog, the Beast has come crawling back, with Marshall now vowing to report to training camp on time.

Guess B-Marsh likes money more than he hates Denver.

While acknowledging we're a long way from happily ever after between Denver's rookie coach and his disgruntled receiver, there's no disputing what happened when push came to shove.

McDaniels won.

And has a coach ever needed a victory so badly when his official NFL record was 0-0?

Since landing the job in Denver, McDaniels has been blamed for everything from not being Mike Shanahan to the hissy fit thrown by Jay Cutler in his last act as quarterback to afternoon traffic snarls on Interstate 25.

Has any Denver sports personality ever been so reviled before actually taking the field?

For an uncommonly generous city I have long believed leads the country in cheers per capita, this McDaniels bashing was distinctly out of character.

Not to mention grossly unfair.

Sure, McDaniels made a gaffe by treating one of the more passionate, tradition- rich NFL markets a little too much like Hooterville with his assumption that whatever ailed the Broncos could be fixed by transforming Denver into New England West as soon as possible. It stunk of arrogance.

But the extent to which many Broncomaniacs have berated McDaniels — whether they demanded that franchise owner Pat Bowlen fire the new coach on the spot or threw brickbats because a running back who gained 1,400 yards rushing in the Southeastern Conference was selected with a first- round draft pick — might be considered mean-spirited if the wails of righteous anger from critics weren't so amusingly absurd.

Meaning no disrespect to Shanahan, but McDaniels has won a Super Bowl ring more recently than the most successful coach in Broncos history.

Although the presence of recent NFL champs such as Pittsburgh, the New York Giants and Indianapolis makes for a daunting schedule, the AFC West is the softest division in pro football.

While his predecessor as coach had slowly dismantled pride in the Broncos' uniform through the constant roster churn of employing too many mercenaries and transients, McDaniels has made it clear that in the age of free agency, players who actually want to be here have never been more important to winning.

Although it might seem an odd approach for a 33-year- old coach, what McDaniels has reintroduced to the Broncos are some old-school values of placing team before self and hard-earned sweat being a smarter way to improve rather than throwing money at every problem.

Maybe it took Marshall, with his screaming-in-all- caps blog and give-me-the- money attitude, for it to dawn on some Denver fans exactly what McDaniels is trying to change about the Broncos.

McDaniels should thank Marshall for that.

In fact, when Marshall strolls through the doors at Dove Valley and reports to camp on July 27, the first words out of the coach's mouth to his receiver need to be: Thanks for being here.

Why? Enough of the macho staredowns. Because, like it or not, McDaniels and Marshall are stuck with each other.

Without B-Marsh on his side, it will be tougher for McDaniels to beat the Raiders and win over critics.

Unless he demonstrates complete buy-in for Coach McD's new Broncos game plan, it will be harder for Marshall to get paid.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12864020?source=rss

SR
07-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Damn I can't stand Kiszla.

atwater27
07-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Quote by Mark Kiszla: "Meaning no disrespect to Shanahan, but McDaniels has won a Super Bowl ring more recently than the most successful coach in Broncos history."

Meaning the deepest form of disrespect possible, McDaniels was not a HEAD COACH when he won a super bowl ring, you ******* douchebag. And if you continue to trash the broncos past to make a cheap point in your horrible columns, you will probably be fired.

NameUsedBefore
07-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Wait, the standoff is over?

What an article! A+.

FanInAZ
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
I actually like this article, until he got to the part about McDaniel having won a SB more recently then Shannahan. There is a few things that Mr. Kiszla failed to take into account before making that statement.

McDaniel, as many of you have already pointed out, was only the OC. Furthermore, McDaniel can't even claim that he build that offense because it was before he had arrived. New England had already won 2 of the previous 3 SBs. All he had to do to get that SB ring was just be Belichick's understudy.

McDaniel can claim to have had a hand in building the New England offense that lead them to a 16-0 season only to get crushed in the SB.

ursamajor
07-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Quote by Mark Kiszla: "Meaning no disrespect to Shanahan, but McDaniels has won a Super Bowl ring more recently than the most successful coach in Broncos history."

Meaning the deepest form of disrespect possible, McDaniels was not a HEAD COACH when he won a super bowl ring, you ******* douchebag. And if you continue to trash the broncos past to make a cheap point in your horrible columns, you will probably be fired.

He wasn't even the OC when the Pats last won, he was a QB coach. That is a very misleading statement

ursamajor
07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
I wrote Kizsla the following via email. Ill let you guys know if he writes back.

"Meaning no disrespect to Shanahan, but McDaniels has won a Super Bowl ring more recently than the most successful coach in Broncos history."

That comment in your above titled article, has cost you any credibility as a knowledgeable and objective sports writer.

From now on, anything that you write will be written off by yours truly, while thinking 'isn't that the guy that tried to credit a QB coach with a SB victory?' Yes, the last time the New England Patriots won a SB, McDaniels was a QB coach.

Please try to be a tad more objective and accurate in the future.

ursamajor
07-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Wait, the standoff is over?

What an article! A+.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs157.snc1/5853_1127958073984_1078153483_30420290_876026_n.jp g

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know I know, it should be in smack, but the opportunity was too much to pass on.

lex
07-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Its premature to call it a major victory. What if there is a problem with Marshall being a malcontent? What if Marshall is behind in terms of learning the new offense? If either of those are true, it can hardly be called a major victory.

A major victory would be an improved defense, a formiddable running game, and Orton doing better than expected.

But if Denver gets shut out early in the season while guys are trying to catch on to the offense, just imagine the naysayers who will readily point to the fact that Denver was never shut out in Shanahan's entire time as a head coach in Denver.

rcsodak
07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Its premature to call it a major victory. What if there is a problem with Marshall being a malcontent? What if Marshall is behind in terms of learning the new offense? If either of those are true, it can hardly be called a major victory.

A major victory would be an improved defense, a formiddable running game, and Orton doing better than expected.

But if Denver gets shut out early in the season while guys are trying to catch on to the offense, just imagine the naysayers who will readily point to the fact that Denver was never shut out in Shanahan's entire time as a head coach in Denver.

Boy, those FG's by themselves sure are something to be proud of! :coffee:

lex
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM

FYI, a shut out is when you dont score at all. It didnt happen once in 14 years. No ones saying they scored 30 points every game during those 14 years. LOL

Shazam!
07-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Denver was never shut out in Shanahan's entire time as a head coach in Denver.

I guess you forgot about some of those Forty-soomething to seven or three routine shellackings Denver got the past two years. That Detroit one in 2007 stands out as particularly nauseating.

lex
07-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I guess you forgot about some of those Forty-soomething to seven or three routine shellackings Denver got the past two years. That Detroit one in 2007 stands out as particularly nauseating.

Once again, if you score, its not a shut out. Put another way: scoring = no shutout.

Now. With that in mind, refer back to what I said at the outset about not being shutout for 14 years.

Lonestar
07-21-2009, 01:59 AM

But, but, but they at least were given a consolation score..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yep that was something to be real proud of..

lex
07-21-2009, 02:05 AM
But, but, but they at least were given a consolation score..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yep that was something to be real proud of..

Consolation score. LOL.

aberdien
07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
He wasn't even the OC when the Pats last won, he was a QB coach. That is a very misleading statement

Not to mention Tom Brady was the quarterback. Anybody could be a successful QB coach with Brady.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Once again, if you score, its not a shut out. Put another way: scoring = no shutout.

Now. With that in mind, refer back to what I said at the outset about not being shutout for 14 years.

I'll take a 10-0 shutout ANY day....

...over a 42-3!

But that's just me. :coffee:

lex
07-21-2009, 08:55 AM

...over a 42-3!

You must have missed the part where it covered 14 years.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 09:14 AM
You must have missed the part where it covered 14 years.

Nope!

You must have missed the part where Jr called that all important FG, a "consolation score".

lex
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Nope!

You must have missed the part where Jr called that all important FG, a "consolation score".

When? I dont care what you say. Not being shut out in 14 years is an amazing # and one youll hear about if it happens this season. So count on hearing about this if Denver is shut out this year. Oh but if we dont get inside the red zone at all that game, Josh will have you convinced that not getting inside the red zone is better than getting in the red zone and settling for a FG.

Shazam!
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd trade a few shutouts for a few playoff wins.

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
So, if the Lions scored a FG in every game last year, they could at least claim to have never been shutout. Yeah...I can see how warm and fuzzy that would have the players and fans feeling

lex
07-21-2009, 09:57 AM
So, if the Lions scored a FG in every game last year, they could at least claim to have never been shutout. Yeah...I can see how warm and fuzzy that would have the players and fans feeling

Yeah, thats it. Youve successfully encapsulated the whole position in that one post.

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, thats it. Youve successfully encapsulated the whole position in that one post.

Yeah...I did. It says "who gives a shit if we dont get shut out?"

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Well, you ARE making your stand on the 'no shutouts' point.

You made your bed...... :laugh:

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 10:39 AM
When? I dont care what you say. Not being shut out in 14 years is an amazing # and one youll hear about if it happens this season. So count on hearing about this if Denver is shut out this year. Oh but if we dont get inside the red zone at all that game, Josh will have you convinced that not getting inside the red zone is better than getting in the red zone and settling for a FG.

yea, ok. You win. McD is going to purposely go for shutouts. :rolleyes:

.....next...... :coffee:

Ravage!!!
07-21-2009, 11:14 AM
apparently, if you say anything positive about Shanahan around these two, they will argue the smallest points until you finally just want to leave.

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
apparently, if you say anything positive about Shanahan around these two, they will argue the smallest points until you finally just want to leave.

Works both ways, doesnt it

Ravage!!!
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Everything is justified I suppose....

lex
07-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah, no shutouts for 14 years is impressive. The poo-pooing here just goes to show how pathetically mindless the criticism of Shanahan is. If you ever start making substantive posts other than sniping, I might start taking your boo-hooing seriously.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Not to mention Tom Brady was the quarterback. Anybody could be a successful QB coach with Brady.

How about 11-5 with a QB that hadn't started a single game in college, or the NFL! I'd say that's pretty impressive.

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
How about 11-5 with a QB that hadn't started a single game in college, or the NFL! I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Prepare for the "he had a cast of pro-bowlers all around him" rebuttals.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM

I love how you turn everything so simplistic, rav.

Of all posters, you above all should know I thought Shanny's shit didn't stink, and stood up for him when being attacked the last few years.

So instead of making false claims, how about keeping this about the thread's topic, which is McD. K?

Ravage!!!
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM

...over a 42-3!

Nope!

So instead of making false claims, how about keeping this about the thread's topic, which is McD. K?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OK!! ahaahaha

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, no shutouts for 14 years is impressive. The poo-pooing here just goes to show how pathetically mindless the criticism of Shanahan is. If you ever start making substantive posts other than sniping, I might start taking your boo-hooing seriously.

I'll ask you to kindly read what I posted to rav.

I'm not a simple person, having to bash one coach to justify another's existence.

Not getting shutout, is a talking point. PERIOD. It didn't mean more wins. It didn't mean less lambasting. It's something you blurt out in a losing, drunken argument. Pretty simple, really. :coffee:

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I find it's often easier to let people assume we're idiots for simply forming an educated opinion that differs from theirs. Life can be easier that way

lex
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

I'm not a simple person, having to bash one coach to justify another's existence.

Not getting shutout, is a talking point. PERIOD. It didn't mean more wins. It didn't mean less lambasting. It's something you blurt out in a losing, drunken argument. Pretty simple, really. :coffee:
You give yourself too much credit. I wasnt in an argument when I pointed this out. Nice try though. Ouch. LOL.

Lonestar
07-21-2009, 02:47 PM

I find it's often easier to let people assume we're idiots for simply forming an educated opinion that differs from theirs. Life can be easier that way

remember folks this is just a broncos forum after all not everyone can be right all the time, in certain cases a stated here rarely..:salute:

Superchop 7
07-21-2009, 03:49 PM
It might be the only victory McDaniels gets this year.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 09:43 PM
You give yourself too much credit. I wasnt in an argument when I pointed this out. Nice try though. Ouch. LOL.

Never said you were. :rolleyes:

If you need help understanding, please, just ask. My door is always open. :laugh:

lex
07-21-2009, 10:14 PM

Never said you were. :rolleyes:

If you need help understanding, please, just ask. My door is always open. :laugh:

I just kicked your door in. Sorry.

Chica_Ang
07-21-2009, 10:27 PM
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/18/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

While his predecessor as coach had slowly dismantled pride in the Broncos' uniform through the constant roster churn of employing too many mercenaries and transients, McDaniels has made it clear that in the age of free agency, players who actually want to be here have never been more important to winning.

A freeking men. Okay---I'm on board! Let's sit back and watch the season unfold. I'll bring the cold beer! :wink:

aberdien
07-22-2009, 01:16 AM

This is true but there was no superbowl. I do hope he was what made Cassel good and it wasn't just part of the system so he can make Kyle Orton better than he is now. But I actually thought Cassel was one of the better backups around the league before he went and became starter from the preseasons and all the times he subbed in.

laugh out loud...

I guess you don't need a defense to help win games after all. :noidea:

All this time I thought Cutler just sucked :laugh:

rcsodak
07-22-2009, 04:30 AM

:laugh:

They still pulling that one out?

:rolleyes:

I guess that negates a bunch of Elway's wins, then. :D

rcsodak
07-22-2009, 04:33 AM
I just kicked your door in. Sorry.

Again......NEVER SAID YOU WERE!!!!!! Or are you saying you were "drunken"? LMAO!

You can hilight all you want. Picking/choosing words doesn't make something out of nothing.

Now please get back on topic.