PDA

View Full Version : Decker Up to His Old Tricks Again...

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 01:32 PM
On the other hand, some of the fans I sat with also frequently remarked during practice how Tebow couldn't make the throws that Manning was completing. Tebow's accuracy and mechanical issues throwing were hot topics of conversation. Perhaps the most enlightening moment for the our group was when a Broncos employee (clearly wearing Broncos gear and standing next to the field) turned to us at one point after wide receiver Eric Decker dropped a perfect pass from Manning and said "you can't blame any of that on the quarterback anymore."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-fans-training-camp-still-pining-tim-tebow-175100429--nfl.html

...Well, its just one drop, but there's not going to be any more excuses for dropped passes...Manning won't accept that...

The WR corps has a lot to prove IMO now that there is no longer a scape goat for them....Put up or shut up.

MileHighCrew
07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
1 dropped pass = up to his old tricks again. Wow the expectations for this team are through the roof if a WR can't drop 1 pass on the first day of training camp.

dogfish
07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
wait, you mean somebody dropped a pass at practice?

NO!!

BroncoNut
07-26-2012, 01:49 PM
1 dropped pass = up to his old tricks again. Wow the expectations for this team are through the roof if a WR can't drop 1 pass on the first day of training camp.

no kidding MHC. I thought he was banging everyone's girlfriends and wives by title alone

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 01:51 PM
...Well, it's just one drop..

Reading is fundamental.

SR
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Reading is fundamental.

So is creating a misleading thread title. Way to go Chicken Little.

Chef Zambini
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
1 dropped pass = up to his old tricks again. Wow the expectations for this team are through the roof if a WR can't drop 1 pass on the first day of training camp.cut him or move him to safety !

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
It's a new slate foal the WR's this year so it shouldn't be a big deal. Ofcourse if Decker has issues dropping the ball again like last year once the season starts than yes it will be.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Reading is fundamental.

How dare you try and paint any Bronco the past couple years not named Tim Tebow in a bad light.

The Glue Factory
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
"You can't blame any of that on the quarterback anymore."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-fans-training-camp-still-pining-tim-tebow-175100429--nfl.html

All WR's (even Jerry freaking Rice) dropped passes in games, let alone practice and not to mention TC. But the point is that last year we didn't know if dropped passes were Tebow's fault or the WR. This year we don't have to guess anymore.

Ravage!!!
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Decker isn't a problem with dropping passes. He didn't seem to have a dropping problem the first half of the season last year. Seems his "separation" wasn't a problem then, either. Decker is going to be very good for this team.

Seems the Tebow defenders are starting early again.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:05 PM
All WR's (even Jerry freaking Rice) dropped passes in games, let alone practice and not to mention TC. But the point is that last year we didn't know if dropped passes were Tebow's fault or the WR. This year we don't have to guess anymore.

No, we pretty much know dropped passes are the WR's fault regardless of whom the QB is. After all, they are paid to catch the ball, period.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I see the Decker defenders are now chiming in.

The Glue Factory
07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I see the Decker defenders are now chiming in.

I'm neither, just pointing out something that should be obvious.

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the point of the post was that I found it interesting that someone on the staff clearly overheard some of the spectating fans talking about TT, and the unnamed coach (or staffer) pointed out after Decker's drop that you can't blame it on the QB anymore.

It was the coach who pointed it out after one drop, not me...I merely passed along the information.

As for the title...Yeah, a little misleading...I like to try to come up with catchy titles that will entice people to check it out...Perhaps I could have taken more time to come up with something more appropriate, but initially thought it was a good fit considering his history of drops...So that one's on me, but as for the content, I will make no apologies.

Thnikkaman
07-26-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34BKc3kV92s

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Decker isn't a problem with dropping passes. He didn't seem to have a dropping problem the first half of the season last year. Seems his "separation" wasn't a problem then, either. Decker is going to be very good for this team.

I think Decker will be good for us too, but he did, in fact, have problems with drops last year.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm neither, just pointing out something that should be obvious.

I'm neither either. I was elated to find out Denver went in a different direction at QB. But blaming dropped passes on him is as bad as the people who were blaming dropped passes on Jay Cutler because he threw the ball too hard.

WR's get paid to catch the ball. I'm not sure why it's too hard to figure out.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I
It was the coach who pointed it out after one drop, not me...I merely passed along the information.

Apparently even the coaches are Tebow defenders.

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm sold.

Decker is crap.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Some people think Decker is crap, others think hes one oif the best in the NFL.

I think he's somewher ein between.

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 02:22 PM
This from u29's camp update thread:

First thing though is decker had two big gains that were dropped. But he was solid, real solid, as in the goto guy for manning every time else.

So there was at least 1 more additional drop...

Sometimes you are what you are...The limited sample suggests that Tebow is an inconsitent passer, just as the limited sample suggests that Decker has a problem with drops.

Doesn't mean that the guy can't get open, or isn't a good WR, but the fact is that he has shown he has problems holding on to the rock. And you really can't blame anyone but the WR when it comes to drops. The responsibility begins and ends there.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Decker can be real good and make drops. Brandon Marshall and Roddy White are real good Wr's who make drops.

Northman
07-26-2012, 02:27 PM
no kidding MHC. I thought he was banging everyone's girlfriends and wives by title alone

That was Hillis, get it right dude. lol

SR
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I think Decker will be good for us too, but he did, in fact, have problems with drops last year.

Terrell Owens has problems with dropping balls. Decker doesn't have problems dropping balls.

Northman
I'm sold.

Decker is crap.

:lol:

SR

Decker is slightly above average IMO.

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Terrell Owens has problems with dropping balls. Decker doesn't have problems dropping balls.

He doesn't?...Entitled to your opinion I suppose, but I happen to remember last season there being several articles (some from the Denver Post, I believe) talking about this very topic.

SR
07-26-2012, 02:51 PM
He doesn't?...Entitled to your opinion I suppose, but I happen to remember last season there being several articles (some from the Denver Post, I believe) talking about this very topic.

Any dropped pass by any receiver is always going to be inconvenient, but to say he has a "problem" with it is a little over the top if you ask me. It's not a "problem" like he does it all the time (like T.O. does). There's a difference between a couple of "ohhhh damn he should've had that" drops and "goddammit this is getting ridiculous".

Northman
07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Indeed SR, I forget the receivers name but we used to call him "The Claw" because he couldnt catch a cold. I mean, he was incredibly bad.

dogfish
07-26-2012, 03:16 PM

NO ONE thinks decker is one of the best in the NFL. . .

:wave:

weazel
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM
lmao nice thread! ...yep, the receivers suck! They may not be the best and may even drop a pass here and there, but quit deflecting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAATerH70Dg

sneakers
07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
http://blogs.wabash.edu/lanelines/files/2011/08/Iverson.jpg

weazel
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHYsXUXUkpA

Thnikkaman
07-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Every time I see the OPs name, I think of this.

http://www.animoller.com/images/jean_claude_got_moves.gif

sneakers
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
lmao nice thread! ...yep, the receivers suck! They may not be the best and may even drop a pass here and there, but quit deflecting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAATerH70Dg

That was a nice throw to lloyd for the touchdown, forgot about that play

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Classic scene from one of the greates actors of all time!...Thanks for this...I'm now going to try to embed it in my sig!!

sneakers
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh no! this thread has turned into another Tebow thread.

weazel
07-26-2012, 03:31 PM
That was a nice throw to lloyd for the touchdown, forgot about that play

yep, Lloyd has an uncanny skill to catch almost anything thrown his way. It's too bad he didnt want to play for the Broncos because their QB couldnt throw the ball in his vicinity more often.

dogfish
07-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Classic scene from one of the greates actors of all time!...Thanks for this...I'm now going to try to embed it in my sig!!

probably time to get rid of the orton stuff also-- considering that we got rid of the orton a while ago. . .

:D

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
probably time to get rid of the orton stuff also-- considering that we got rid of the orton a while ago. . .

:D

Nah...I like to remind myself of where we were so that I can never get dissappointed about where we are.

The Orton stuff stays.

BroncoNut
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
yep, Lloyd has an uncanny skill to catch almost anything thrown his way. It's too bad he didnt want to play for the Broncos because their QB couldnt throw the ball in his vicinity more often.

it wasn't that. he was selfish and wanted more Bank. can't say I blame him

BroncoNut
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM

jean claude is pretty hot

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Indeed SR, I forget the receivers name but we used to call him "The Claw" because he couldnt catch a cold. I mean, he was incredibly bad.

Lelie?

dogfish
07-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Lelie?

darius watts. . .

weazel
07-26-2012, 04:11 PM
darius watts. . .

he literally had a claw though, hard to crack on a guy for dropping balls when he cant open or close his hand lol

LTC Pain
07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
This. If I recall correclty, he did not have full use of one arm/hand because of an accident. Not good for a NFL WR.

nevcraw
07-26-2012, 04:49 PM
dropped passes have to be the WR fault ----- otherwise they would be called poorly thrown balls...

Dzone
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey, Decker dropped a lot of balls last year. Especially bad was the night his girlfriend sang at halftime. He stunk up the field that night.

vandammage13
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey, Decker dropped a lot of balls last year. Especially bad was the night his girlfriend sang at halftime. He stunk up the field that night.

Which game was that?.......

weazel
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM

oh I agree, he and DT both have to be much better.

Northman
07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Lelie?

Nah, at first he came to mind but it was the guy after him. Hold on....

Ah, Darius Watts. I had to go look up the roster from then. lol

Dzone
07-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Which game was that?.......
Ya know, I cant remember. I think it was the Jets game. It was a night game and Jesse James was singing at halftime and Decker was nervous and couldnt catch a damn thing.

OrangeHoof
07-26-2012, 05:46 PM

He and Thomas both had some drops last year (and a few amazing catches just to be fair). I think the point is that the receivers got a pass for dropping the ball last year because it was so easy to blame it on Tebow. This year, that excuse is not going to work and the receivers better demonstrate some better hands than I saw last year. This goes back to my comments on other threads about Manning's "supporting cast". I'm not really in love with any of our receivers and I wonder how long it will take Peyton to see there isn't a Wayne, Harrison or Clark in this bunch.

BroncoJoe
07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
He and Thomas both had some drops last year (and a few amazing catches just to be fair). I think the point is that the receivers got a pass for dropping the ball last year because it was so easy to blame it on Tebow. This year, that excuse is not going to work and the receivers better demonstrate some better hands than I saw last year. This goes back to my comments on other threads about Manning's "supporting cast". I'm not really in love with any of our receivers and I wonder how long it will take Peyton to see there isn't a Wayne, Harrison or Clark in this bunch.

Let's hope it was Manning that made Wayne, Harrison and Clark what they became...

SR
07-26-2012, 06:47 PM

No offense, but Harrison and Wayne are who they are because of Manning. Manning throwing the ball to them made them great.

catfish
07-26-2012, 07:48 PM
my $.02

Decker had a small problem with drops at the beginning 3 drops out of 39 targets passes thrown by Orton, it was made worse by tebow throwing harder to catch short passes(be it due to wobble, spin or speed IDK)

he also has an issue with rounding off routes and making mental mistakes, also does not seem to have elite speed. In total I don't think he is much to write home about.

I think Caldwell and DT are going to be the go to guys this year. I am a total UF homer, but Bubba Caldwell is a freak

edit: he actually dropped 3 out of 25 for Orton...I had mistakenly counted throw aways

OrangeHoof
07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
No offense, but Harrison and Wayne are who they are because of Manning. Manning throwing the ball to them made them great.

No offense but Manning can't catch the ball for them. I didn't see Harrison or Wayne drop many.

Nomad
07-26-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm wondering what's up with the VanDam video.....kinda odd and a little gay.

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
No offense but Manning can't catch the ball for them. I didn't see Harrison or Wayne drop many.

Ha! Bey, Bey has a TON more talent than Wayne, and I'm not joking. Will he be as good? I don't know, but to suggest that the talent doesn't exist to be that is naive.

jhildebrand
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Decker reaching his full potential would be a #2 WR for almost every team in this league. I worry more about DT keeping his head on straight, putting a cup over his glass gina, and getting the playbook/routes to not only stick in his head but run them correctly!

CoachChaz
07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Whether the homerism can be dropped or not, the fact is right now...Decker has proven nothing. Yes, he drops balls...yes, he rounds routes...yes, he has issues with separation. At this point even saying he is above average is a stretch. If he improves, then maybe he can be. Personally, I see him as nothing more than a slot right now. I hope he proves me wrong and gets much better

Simple Jaded
07-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Decker may not be Ed McCaffrey as a WR but he's developing into a fine scapegoat.......

dogfish
07-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Decker may not be Ed McCaffrey as a WR but he's developing into a fine scapegoat.......

whipping boy. . .

Simple Jaded
07-28-2012, 02:50 AM
whipping boy. . .
That too.......

Npba900
07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
How dare you try and paint any Bronco the past couple years not named Tim Tebow in a bad light.

Who's Tim Tebow? I never heard of the guy! Did he sell beer, popcorn or peanuts at the concession stand at Broncos Home Games????

Npba900
07-28-2012, 08:26 AM

True. However, not saying that Decker nor DT are the second coming of "Jerry Rice", but even he had trouble with dropping passes in his rookie season. At the same time Decker and DT now have a "Pro Bowl--HOF QB throwing them the ball for the first time in their NFL careers.

With Manning throwing to Decker and DT, two things will happen. Both WR's can prove whether they have future in the NFL as WR's or they will except the challenge to prove they have the skills to be NFL WR's because Manning will definitely put both wide outs in positions to be successful.

catfish
07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
True. However, not saying that Decker nor DT are the second coming of "Jerry Rice", but even he had trouble with dropping passes in his rookie season. At the same time Decker and DT now have a "Pro Bowl--HOF QB throwing them the ball for the first time in their NFL careers.

With Manning throwing to Decker and DT, two things will happen. Both WR's can prove whether they have future in the NFL as WR's or they will except the challenge to prove they have the skills to be NFL WR's because Manning will definitely put both wide outs in positions to be successful.

thst IMO is one of the huge benefits of Manning. It is now possible to see what problems are actual problem because fans don't have the QB to blame any more. If soemone suck with Manning as their QB they just suck

Ravage!!!
07-28-2012, 10:30 AM
So when the WRs are doing well, can we see the "defenders" admit what the problem was?

arapaho2
07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
people are one sided......look this isnt a tebow thread, but rather a discussion of decker and or the wrs
on one side there are people still insisitig everything wrong last year, every drop or failed drive was on tebow

on the other side nothing was tebows fault ( thats what we hear)

truth is there was some drives stopped by a bad throw.....thruth is there was probably more drives stopped or limited by a dropped ball.........we know this....we heard it all winter....because of the rotation of the ball.....because they float....because they wobble

if the ball gets anywhere near a wrs hands its him who gets paid to catch it...period

some people just cant grasp the simple fact without creating drama.....decker as well as the other rec....did drop some catchable balls killing drives ......in a regular scheme throwing the ball 40 times a game 2-3 drops doesnt mean much

in a offense where the qb is only allowed to throw 7-12 times a game...3 drops are huge ....and probably a reason a drop seem to be highlighted now in camp

catfish
07-28-2012, 12:24 PM
So when the WRs are doing well, can we see the "defenders" admit what the problem was?

Decker dropped 12% of the catchable balls thrown to him by Orton, a man who is known for throwing a catchable ball(per lloyd) the problem was absolutely made worse by Tebow. If he fixes his dropsies good on him, but 12% is good for 64th out of 95 of receivers with at least 25% of snaps. Tebow made the problem worse, you seem to think that means there was no problem in the first place

Nomad
07-28-2012, 12:29 PM
With Manning throwing to him, he should excel.

Ravage!!!
07-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Decker dropped 12% of the catchable balls thrown to him by Orton, a man who is known for throwing a catchable ball(per lloyd) the problem was absolutely made worse by Tebow. If he fixes his dropsies good on him, but 12% is good for 64th out of 95 of receivers with at least 25% of snaps. Tebow made the problem worse, you seem to think that means there was no problem in the first place

Thats what I thought. No.

catfish
07-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Thats what I thought. No.

here are the catchable balls/drops per receiver by QB

Decker

Orton 25/3 12%
Tebow 30/7 23.3%

Royal

Orton 5/1 20%
Tebow 24/4 16%

Lloyd

Orton 20/1 5%
Bradford 58/7 12%

Willis

Orton 8/2 25%
Tebow 14/1 7%

Thomas

Tebow 48/6 12.5%

I won't "admit" anything because there was a very real and measurable drop problem last year under both QB's. If they get it fixed this year great but it doesn't change the fact that the WR core had brick hand last year and the only one who seemed to get worse due to Tebow was Decker....I may be missing something, but that is how it looks to me

Ravage!!!
07-28-2012, 01:50 PM
I won't "admit" anything because there was a very real and measurable drop problem last year under both QB's. If they get it fixed this year great but it doesn't change the fact that the WR core had brick hand last year and the only one who seemed to get worse due to Tebow was Decker....I may be missing something, but that is how it looks to me

no no.. no need to go into explanations. You answered the question as I knew it would be answered.

OrangeHoof
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I would argue that some aspect of "catchable" needs to be defined. Did the receiver square up and the ball hit his hands between the numbers and it fell to the turf or did the receiver make a diving attempt to bring the ball in and just couldn't keep his fingertips on it as he impacted the turf? Big difference to me.

MOtorboat
07-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Decker

Orton 25/3 12%
Tebow 30/7 23.3%

Royal

Orton 5/1 20%
Tebow 24/4 16%

Lloyd

Orton 20/1 5%
Bradford 58/7 12%

Willis

Orton 8/2 25%
Tebow 14/1 7%

Thomas

Tebow 48/6 12.5%

Are these PFF numbers?

And how do the drop percentages compare to receivers around the league?

catfish
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Are these PFF numbers?

And how do the drop percentages compare to receivers around the league?

yes they are PFF numbers. I am unsure how they define catchable.

as far as rankings there were 95 receviers who played 25% of therir teams snaps

Decker

Orton 25/3 12% 65th
Tebow 30/7 23.3% 95th

Royal

Orton 5/1 20% 92nd
Tebow 24/4 16% 84th

Lloyd

Orton 20/1 5% 11th
Bradford 58/7 12% 65th

Willis

Orton 8/2 25% 95th
Tebow 14/1 7% 29th

Thomas

Tebow 48/6 12.5% 69th

catfish
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
no no.. no need to go into explanations. You answered the question as I knew it would be answered.

my official answer is Tebow played poorly and so did all of your receivers, prove me wrong

Broncfan1970
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
my official answer is Tebow played poorly and so did all of your receivers, prove me wrong

I know its early and still trainging camp, but I'd offer this up on our recievers per Cecil Lemmey notes from 07/27/12

WIDE RECEIVERS
Demaryius Thomas – Strong day for Thomas. Rarely saw a pass hit the ground when he was the intended target. Showed good sideline awareness, body control, and the vertical leaping ability that could make him a top 10 WR in the NFL. Worked all the routes, drag, sideline, across, post, flag, hook. Had one hook route where he essentially boxed out Tracy Porter, high pointed the pass, then sluffed off the would be tackler and sped upfield. His speed is insane on field level.

Eric Decker – Decker with another great day. Again, caught everything thrown his way. Was scooping low passes, diving for long passes, and caught that beautiful 45+ yard TD pass from Manning. Showing great concentration as the ball went between two defenders. That play happened right in front of me and it was amazing to see the concentration from Decker as he didn’t blink while chaos was around him in the passing window. Tracy Porter was biting on his fakes, which allowed Decker to become more open than he usually is. Decker was also working out of multiple positions, and like Thomas, worked the entire route tree.

Again for me if PEYTON "FRICKING" MANNING likes throwing to them I'm a believer!

catfish
07-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I know its early and still trainging camp, but I'd offer this up on our recievers per Cecil Lemmey notes from 07/27/12

WIDE RECEIVERS
Demaryius Thomas – Strong day for Thomas. Rarely saw a pass hit the ground when he was the intended target. Showed good sideline awareness, body control, and the vertical leaping ability that could make him a top 10 WR in the NFL. Worked all the routes, drag, sideline, across, post, flag, hook. Had one hook route where he essentially boxed out Tracy Porter, high pointed the pass, then sluffed off the would be tackler and sped upfield. His speed is insane on field level.

Eric Decker – Decker with another great day. Again, caught everything thrown his way. Was scooping low passes, diving for long passes, and caught that beautiful 45+ yard TD pass from Manning. Showing great concentration as the ball went between two defenders. That play happened right in front of me and it was amazing to see the concentration from Decker as he didn’t blink while chaos was around him in the passing window. Tracy Porter was biting on his fakes, which allowed Decker to become more open than he usually is. Decker was also working out of multiple positions, and like Thomas, worked the entire route tree.

Again for me if PEYTON "FRICKING" MANNING likes throwing to them I'm a believer!

and that is great, and I hope they got the drop issue cleared up, but the fact remains that last year with 2 different QB's the Wide receivers by and large dropped a very high percentage of passes. If a year of working on it helped great. The only WR who I give a pass to is DT, he had the best catch rate of all the wr at the end of the season and he only had Tebow throwing to him. I would think that with Orton or Manning throwing to him his drop rate would have been single digits. I have yet to see any reason to be impressed by Decker, but I hope he proves me wrong.

catfish
07-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I would argue that some aspect of "catchable" needs to be defined. Did the receiver square up and the ball hit his hands between the numbers and it fell to the turf or did the receiver make a diving attempt to bring the ball in and just couldn't keep his fingertips on it as he impacted the turf? Big difference to me.

they have like 50% of targets as catchable for the year, so I would guess they aren't including drops on "circus" catches, but I am just guessing

Broncfan1970
07-28-2012, 03:45 PM
and that is great, and I hope they got the drop issue cleared up, but the fact remains that last year with 2 different QB's the Wide receivers by and large dropped a very high percentage of passes. If a year of working on it helped great. The only WR who I give a pass to is DT, he had the best catch rate of all the wr at the end of the season and he only had Tebow throwing to him. I would think that with Orton or Manning throwing to him his drop rate would have been single digits. I have yet to see any reason to be impressed by Decker, but I hope he proves me wrong.

There was also this from Broncos official website:

MANNING TO DECKER

As mentioned earlier, the Manning-Decker connection was on fire Saturday morning. It started during one-on-one drills between wide receivers and cornerbacks.

After a short completion to Demaryius Thomas in front of Tracy Porter, Manning dropped back for his second pass of the drill. The matchup was Decker against Champ Bailey — and Decker made a move that faked out the 11-time Pro Bowler. Bailey recovered, but Decker still made a bobbling, diving catch right in front of the crowd. Needless to say, the fans erupted.

Decker had another catch in front of Bailey later in one-on-ones, then when the offense switched to 7-on-7s, Manning hit Decker three straight times on the first three passes of the drill.

Decker had a few more catches during full-team drills, one of which was right at the sideline, and the receiver kept running into the crowd — much to the fans’ delight. After Manning and Decker exited the final team drill, they drew loud cheers from the crowd.

So yeah I think Decker's true talent is about to be realized this year.....

catfish
07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
There was also this from Broncos official website:

MANNING TO DECKER

As mentioned earlier, the Manning-Decker connection was on fire Saturday morning. It started during one-on-one drills between wide receivers and cornerbacks.

After a short completion to Demaryius Thomas in front of Tracy Porter, Manning dropped back for his second pass of the drill. The matchup was Decker against Champ Bailey — and Decker made a move that faked out the 11-time Pro Bowler. Bailey recovered, but Decker still made a bobbling, diving catch right in front of the crowd. Needless to say, the fans erupted.

Decker had another catch in front of Bailey later in one-on-ones, then when the offense switched to 7-on-7s, Manning hit Decker three straight times on the first three passes of the drill.

Decker had a few more catches during full-team drills, one of which was right at the sideline, and the receiver kept running into the crowd — much to the fans’ delight. After Manning and Decker exited the final team drill, they drew loud cheers from the crowd.

So yeah I think Decker's true talent is about to be realized this year.....

I am glad you are excited...its the 2nd or 3rd practice of the year, have they even put pads on yet? He is going to make some great catches in practice, he will drop some, none of it means anything right now. If Decker comes out on fire great, I will wait and see what happens. I sincerely hope he excels.

I will give Decker credit for this, he can catch the deep ball. He was perfect on catchable passes over 20 yds

dogfish
07-28-2012, 06:02 PM
i'm pretty stoked. . . if they can stay healthy, i think DT and decker will be good enough. . . sure, it would be ideal to add a legit top-ten WR-- you'd love to have that type of talent at every single position. . . you can get by with less at receiver when peyton f'n manning is your quarterback, though. . . i don't believe for a second that dudes like garcon, blair white, austin collie, etc were more talented than our top two. . . and tamme and dreesen will be a perfectly competent and effective pair of TEs. . . if the O-line can do a halfway decent job, i think we have enough weapons to run a pretty strong, balanced offense. . . won't be pretty 100% of the time, and there undoubtedly will be a few dropped balls that make us all scream at the TV and curse the guy-- and some wrong routes and poor adjustments, especially this first year. . . i think manning will help them grow up pretty quickly, though. . .

if anything, i'm more concerned with what type of pass protection we'll get from the right tackle spot. . . and whether we honestly have enough quality depth at running back-- or if it's really just mcgahee, the unknown quantity of hillman, and knowshon waiting to get hurt again. . . you never know at RB until guys get a chance to get in a real game situation-- it is the easiest spot for guys to come out of nowhere. . . we could have a diamond buried in there-- or, they could be by and large the group of stiffs they appear to be. . .

Rick
07-28-2012, 06:18 PM
From what I saw today, Decker will be more than solid and Thomas will be easily a top 10. That guy flat out makes plays and is a hell of a lot bigger in person than I expected.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I am glad you are excited...its the 2nd or 3rd practice of the year, have they even put pads on yet? He is going to make some great catches in practice, he will drop some, none of it means anything right now. If Decker comes out on fire great, I will wait and see what happens. I sincerely hope he excels.

I will give Decker credit for this, he can catch the deep ball. He was perfect on catchable passes over 20 yds

They were in pads today

catfish
07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
They were in pads today

my point was it is too soon to be declaring anything concrete as far as gains. I hope he did get better, I hope his routes are more crisp and he catches the ball more consistently. He surely is capable of improving. I am simply saying that last year he had a very real, very measurable problem that was consistant between the two QB's that were throwing to him. Nothing that happens in camp is going to change what happened last year on the field. If he improves and shakes it off this year great! He is still a young guy there is a huge chance he improves drastically on last years numbers this year. I agree with what an earlier poster said, if he reaches his potential he can be a solid # 2 guy, I am just saying I didn't see any evidence of him being solid last year.

Northman
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Actually having a QB with accuracy is the biggest help. No receiver can get better with a QB who is throwing 10 yards above his head, throwing late, or into the dirt. Its been proven since the dawn of NFL football that more accurate your QB is the more success your team and the receivers will have.

vandammage13
07-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Decker

Orton 25/3 12%
Tebow 30/7 23.3%

Royal

Orton 5/1 20%
Tebow 24/4 16%

Lloyd

Orton 20/1 5%
Bradford 58/7 12%

Willis

Orton 8/2 25%
Tebow 14/1 7%

Thomas

Tebow 48/6 12.5%

Are these PFF numbers a paid subscription?...I can't seem to find these.

If they are free, can you send me a link?

catfish
07-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Are these PFF numbers a paid subscription?...I can't seem to find these.

If they are free, can you send me a link?

they are a paid subscription under their premium stats section...well worth the $$ IMO. They do a pretty awesomely thorough job of grading every player

Cugel
07-30-2012, 05:01 PM

The Teaboners will never give up. They are just waiting until Manning fails to win the SB this season and then will jump out of the closet and scream "they should have stuck with Tebow!" :rolleyes:

We're going to have endless trouble with those idiots who still have a boner for Tebow.

I think until Tebow never becomes a starting QB in this league they will continue to harp on it. Then when he washes out their conspiracy theories will jump to a new quantum level "the NFL just didn't want Tebow to succeed! He could be in the Hall of Fame if they'd only given him a chance!"

If you're just SURE that Tebow is the second coming then anybody who questions "in that case why didn't even ONE team want him as their starting QB?" is just wrong.

Thnikkaman
07-30-2012, 07:07 PM
If I don't have my tin foil cap securely on my head, the "Teboners" can read my thoughts.

Simple Jaded
07-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Mike Klis and Terry Frei are two Tebow fans that are just waiting for Manning to fail so they can say "shoulda stuck with Tebow. It's not black helicopter nonsense, they're out there, waiting. If Tebow so much as completes 50% of his passes his fans will come out of the woodwork regardless of what Manning does. He's already the most overhyped athlete of all time so 50-55% passing would be vindication, forget all his other flaws, if he gets his completion %age up all of their poetic bullshit gets cranked into overdrive.......

Thnikkaman
07-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Did I miss something? Is Tebow a Bronco again? No? Why are we obsessed with him?

Northman
07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Did I miss something? Is Tebow a Bronco again? No? Why are we obsessed with him?

You could ask that question regarding ANY QB to have played in Denver. Nature of the beast.

weazel
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Decker is a socialist

NightTerror218
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
From a couple reports it mentions Decker has had a few drops. Ziggy's report from last year also mentioned Decker's drops. We saw them in several of the games last season. BUT

from several of the reports I have read this year so far Decker and Thomas have more "swagger" and "confidence" in them this season. I think Decker is going to have a huge year. He is going to know exactly where the ball is going to be at with Manning as QB. Manning will put it into tight window where only Decker can get the ball or hit him in perfect stride on the numbers. I think this is going to be his year to shine IF there are any drops it will be on him and he will get an ear full from Manning.

BroncoWave
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Wow, I guess when your point is completely obliterated by real stats this is all you can respond with huh?

Ravage!!!
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow, I guess when your point is completely obliterated by real stats this is all you can respond with huh?

:lol: The funny part of this post, is that its posted by YOU of alll people. :lol:

BroncoWave
07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
:lol: The funny part of this post, is that its posted by YOU of alll people. :lol:

Keep on deflecting, just confirms even further that you have no response to the stats posted! :lol:

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Keep on deflecting, just confirms even further that you have no response to the stats posted! :lol:

I responded. He answered as I thought he would, just as I said. If the WRs improve, he's not going to acknowledge that it has to do with the QB. He's not going to acknowledge that they were a problem, only that the "wrs improved" in the time Tebow left. Just as I thought he would answer, just as I said.. and which is why I responded exactly as I did to express that thought.

Thanks for playing though, Mr. Hypocrite.

catfish
08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I posted the drop rate with Orton and Tebow specifically to prove that it wasn't due to the QB. If it improves next year great, but I proved without a doubt that it was on the receivers last year. Say what you will about Orton, but he throws a catchable pass yet the receivers couldn't bring his passes in either. The receivers have had several months to work on their catching skills, if they improve it will be because they put the time in not because Tebow isnt the QB.

NightTerror218
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I posted the drop rate with Orton and Tebow specifically to prove that it wasn't due to the QB. If it improves next year great, but I proved without a doubt that it was on the receivers last year. Say what you will about Orton, but he throws a catchable pass yet the receivers couldn't bring his passes in either. The receivers have had several months to work on their catching skills, if they improve it will be because they put the time in not because Tebow isnt the QB.

I think they will improve, if not just for the fact of having high confidence in the QB. How can you not have incredible confidence with Manning as QB? But as you posted it was not QB related but with the WR. But neither QB was amazing either like manning is.

catfish
08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
absolutely, confidence in Manning, more experience on the field they both could definately have big years. I personally think DT and Caldwell will be the favorite targets at years end, but Decker definately could find his niche and excell, especially if he reverts to his college catching ways. I wasn't trying to say the receivers had no chance to succeed, just trying to point out that there were problems at positions other than QB last year too

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Orton was late, slow, not exactly acurate, and certainly limited to short routes where CBs were sitting on routes. Your OPINION on the matter is just that, an Opinion. Don't think that your stats makes your opinion anything more than what it is. If the WRs show that they are making routine catches, I believe its because the QB thows the ball to the correct shoulder, in front, on time, and with some velocity behind it. That opinion is JUST as valid as yours is, despite you believing otherwise.

catfish
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Lloyd had no problem catching Orton's passes as 5% drop rate would have put him in the top 10 in the league, probably why he said Orton threw one of the most catchable balls he had ever seen.

Then Orton went to KC

his receivers dropped 1 pass out of 28 attempts or 3.5%.