PDA

View Full Version : shanny speaks!!!

nevcraw
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/

Here's betting when he comes back he will be a winner..

LordTrychon
07-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Think that's the wrong link...

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/mike.shananan.2.1090801.html

There.

Anyway... I'll say what I did on Mania...

He's supporting Bowlen to the end... it's odd to me that some think that he'll be bitter towards the organization like he was with the Raiders.

No way.

WARHORSE
07-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Class act all the way.

Thats why he'll win again.

DenBronx
07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
shanny has no reason to be bitter about anything. he will always be a bronco no matter where he goes....everyone knows this.

Lonestar
07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
REGGIE RIVERS
DENVER (CBS4) ―

Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan hasn't spoken to anyone in the Denver media since his farewell press conference in January, so we haven't had the opportunity to hear what Shanahan has thought about the turmoil in the Broncos organization this off-season.

Although Josh McDaniels replaced him, NFL coaching is a tight fraternity, so I wondered if Shanahan was rooting for McDaniels to succeed.

"I don't know if rooting … I don't know if you go that far," Shanahan said. "There's so many things that happen in sports. The head coach has to go to go with his gut. He's got to make some tough decisions. That's the nature of this game."

Among McDaniels' tough decisions was trading Jay Cutler to Chicago, leaving the Broncos with question marks at quarterback.

"I'm a big Jay Cutler fan," Shanahan said. "I'm a big Chris Simms fan, and I've heard a lot of great things about Kyle Orton as well. Josh has added a bunch of good pieces to the puzzle. Hopefully they can go out and get it done."

Shanahan hopes that he'll have the opportunity to "get it done" for some other team in 2010.

"Will work for food. That's my motto," Shanahan said. "I want to coach again. I'm not sure what opportunities are going to be open next year or the year after that. I'm just trying to stay on top of my game. I still want to get back into football and do the things I've been doing throughout my career."

shank
07-17-2009, 09:16 PM
i heart shanny still

FanInAZ
07-17-2009, 11:48 PM
I'd hire Shannahan as a OC without a seconds thought. However, I can't over look the fact that his defenses were always lacking.

I would not be surprised if he does get another HC job. If so, he needs to turn all defensive decisions over to the best DC he can find.

Lonestar
07-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd hire Shannahan as a OC without a seconds thought. However, I can't over look the fact that his defenses were always lacking.

I would not be surprised if he does get another HC job. If so, he needs to turn all defensive decisions over to the best DC he can find.

I believe this is the "Peter Principle" at its best..

"that one rises to his/her level of incompetency"..

SoCalImport
07-18-2009, 02:22 PM
REGGIE RIVERS
DENVER (CBS4) ―

"Will work for food. That's my motto," Shanahan said. ."

LOL...what a funny man, Shanahan is. How much is he making this year? next year?

Lonestar
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
LOL...what a funny man, Shanahan is. How much is he making this year? next year?

7 mil each yea as RHC.. till he is out of his contract in 2011 when he becomes a UHC..:laugh:

dogfish
07-18-2009, 03:22 PM
i'd give pretty good odds that he could work this year if he really wanted to-- as a head coach, most likely. . . . if one of the league's embattled HCs has his team start out on a losing streak, it's going to be a veeery tough situation with super bowl winning coaches like shanahan and gruden looking to get back to work. . . . some of the league's hot seats just got a little hotter after these comments. . . .

Tned
07-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I believe this is the "Peter Principle" at its best..

"that one rises to his/her level of incompetency"..

Well, hopefully McDaniels will have just as 'incompetent' 14 year run with the Broncos as Shanny, and then we can look forward to many winning seasons and a couple Super Bowls.

I love revisionist history.

Dean
07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12868958?source=rss

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Paige: Shanny enjoying time from the grind
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan might not be coaching in the NFL this season, but football is always on his mind. (Jim Grant, Special to The Denver Post )STATELINE, Nev. — At the base of tranquility, with a dazzling, shimmering palette of colors in the background — Columbia-blue water, waxen white sand, green redwood trees on the mountainside, stark-white snow trails, sky-blue sky, rainbow parasails and the intense yellow sun — the slight, slender golfer in the pale orange shirt smoothly, efficiently rolled the 10-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole. At the very last moment the ball vanished, and a mouth full of ivory materialized. The man seemed as serene and calm as a Renoir backdrop.

"I feel totally relaxed," Mike Shanahan says.

But his teeth and his game were grinding as he tried to finish the second round of the American Century (athletes-celebrities) Championship at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course with a positive number in the modified Stableford scoring system. He came to the stretch stuck at minus-2.

Birdie, birdie, birdie. Plus-1 total. Score of 83.

"It's a different kind of pressure. I'm happy today," Shanahan said.

Happy in a different way.

Surely he can't be happy being out of football for the first time in 50 years.

Surely Shanahan can't be happy with his 57th birthday and NFL training camps a few days away.

Surely he can't be happy not being the Broncos' head coach for the first time in 15 years.

Surely a man who has spent every year of his adult life being a head or an assistant coach can't be happy.

Surely a man who has won three Super Bowl rings can't be happy. He's not on the sidelines at the stadium. He's on the sidelines of the game.

"When it first happened . . . " Shana- han says Saturday, and what happened was he got fired by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen on Dec. 30, 2008, "I wanted to jump back in as soon as I could. But the right thing to do was back off, take some time off and see what life was like without football."

Football is Shanahan's life, and will be again soon.

As he departed the course Saturday afternoon, a young man in a Dallas Cowboys cap approached Shanahan and asked for an autograph. Then two guys in sombreros asked for a photo. Tony Romo, quarterback of the Cowboys, was only a few feet away. "He's a great coach," Romo said.

Shanahan once replaced Wade Phillips as the Broncos coach. There is serious speculation that Shanahan will replace Phillips as the Cowboys' coach.

Someone very close to Shanahan in Denver says that Mike wants to coach with his son Kyle, who is in the last year of his contract as an assistant with the Houston Texans.

Mike talked publicly Saturday for the first time with anyone in the media since his tearful goodbye on New Year's Eve.

Did he talk about his replacement, Josh McDaniels? Did he talk about the trade of Jay Cutler? Did he talk about Brandon Marshall? Did he talk about owner Pat Bowlen?

No.

Shanahan has a clause in his contract that prevents him from saying practically anything about the Broncos. He will receive $7 million this season for not coaching and not ripping the Broncos.

If you expected Shanahan to shout "McDaniels is a fool and can't coach and shouldn't have traded Cutler and has alienated Brandon and all the veterans, and Pat Bowlen, who was my best friend, is now my worst enemy," then you don't know Shanahan and have come to the wrong place. He rarely revealed himself when he was coaching.

What you should know is that Shanahan won't burn Dove Valley bridges. He was hired three times by the Broncos — and fired twice.

What you should know, and I actually was shocked — is that Shanahan has spent much of the offseason studying "personnel and X's and O's" in the NFL without "thinking about salary cap, roster limitations, coaching the specific players: all the things you have to consider in the league." He is studying tape without walls. "I've actually been able to slow down for the first time in a long time and look at aspects of the NFL I didn't get a chance to before."

Shanahan jumped from the University of Florida to the Broncos in 1984 — to coach John Elway. (They played golf three days ago.) Oddly enough, when Steve Spurrier left as the Gators' coach to head the Washington Redskins, Shanahan came close to leaving the Broncos to return to Florida. He decided to stay in Denver.

On Saturday, Shanahan and Spurrier made a bet about who would shoot the lowest score. Shanahan told me he had an 83; Spurrier told me he would have "shot a 79 if I hadn't gone for the green on 18 and dumped the ball in the water."

Interestingly, Shanahan said he really hadn't played much golf, "getting ready for my daughter's wedding and moving into the new house and doing a lot of examining my future and the NFL."

Mike and his wife, Peggy, who came into the clubhouse late Saturday to greet him and take him off to dinner, recently held a wedding reception for 400 at their new home in Cherry Hills. Daughter Krystal got married, and her bridesmaid was one of former President George W. Bush's twin daughters. Mike brought in a 20-piece orchestra from New York.

Shanahan was excited about this tournament, which includes two dozen current and ex-NFL quarterbacks.

The Broncos soon start camp without Shanahan. He told a friend privately that the Broncos have added some talent, and he expects them to be better this year. He told another friend privately that the Broncos made a mistake by trading Cutler for Kyle Orton. He would only tell me Saturday that he will watch the Broncos with interest this season.

Shanahan's new restaurant in southeast Denver "should open around Thanksgiving. It's going to be great."

After the round Saturday, Shanahan sipped a beer and said introspectively, "This time away will be good for me."

He'll return refreshed, revitalized and re-energized — and seriously tanned.

Against the kaleidoscope of colors, Shanahan stood over the putt for perpetuity, as deep as in thought as he was in the second half of a Broncos game last year, and stroked the ball into the hole. The smile, like the sun, came out, which it rarely did last season.

For all he has done for the Broncos and for Denver and Elway and Cutler and the rest, Mike Shanahan deserves to relax. And come back in 2010 grinding and winning.