PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition packs eye-opening bonus, costs $150

BroncoAV06
07-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition packs eye-opening bonus, costs $150
by Mike Smith
July 14 3:44 P.M.

The practice of making extravagant "Collector's Editions" of video games is as old as gaming itself, but it looks like Activision is about to kick it up a notch.

When the anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is released on November 10, its $150 Prestige Edition will include what's surely the most extravagant bundled bonus ever -- a fully-functioning pair of night-vision goggles.

An Activision community manager made the announcement in a Youtube video, where he unboxes and shows off the goggles, which carry the game's branding. The Prestige Edition also includes a head-shaped display stand for the goggles, an art book, and fancy limited-edition packaging.

Modern Warfare 2's night-vision specs will join a proud tradition of crazy video game pack-ins, including Halo 3's infamous cat helmet, The Sims 3's plumbob-shaped USB drive, and Fallout 3's oversized watch and bobble-head doll, which was featured in the game, too.

It'll retail at $150, and considering that even basic night vision goggles easily run over $100 on their own, it actually sounds like a pretty good deal. All the same, as far as we can determine, it's the most expensive retail video game bundle in history, discounting games that came with their own custom controllers.

So if you're keen to play Modern Warfare 2 (as the follow-up to easily the best game of '07, you should be) and you're keen to spy on your neighbors, you'd better get saving.

Oh ya, going to be rocking the goggles!

elsid13
07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Dude it cool, but there are going to be a lot freaking nerds doing the same thing.

LordTrychon
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM
How much was the elite package for Halo 3? Anyone remember?

If it was a working model, it would have blown this one out of the water...

Shazam!
07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I think the Master Chief helmet package was $90.

Reidman
07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Are these goggles integrated to the game itself? Or are they just for casual anytime use when you feel like playing commando...

Seems like if you wanted a pair of night vision goggles you could buy a pair that would surely offer better specs and better materials and craftsmanship...

BroncoAV06
07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Are these goggles integrated to the game itself? Or are they just for casual anytime use when you feel like playing commando...

Seems like if you wanted a pair of night vision goggles you could buy a pair that would surely offer better specs and better materials and craftsmanship...

True but you know how expensive those are? My friend has some russian ones that were not to cheap. They are not part of the game just something to throw on and terrorize the neighborhood with.

Googles, face paint, ski cap, air soft rifle, check, good to go.

LordTrychon
07-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I think the Master Chief helmet package was $90.

See, I could have sworn I paid more than that... but I don't promise.

True but you know how expensive those are? My friend has some russian ones that were not to cheap. They are not part of the game just something to throw on and terrorize the neighborhood with.

Googles, face paint, ski cap, air soft rifle, check, good to go.

Well, we don't know about the quality of the goggles. Maybe they'll be $150 goggles. Maybe they'll be crap.

CoryWinget81
07-18-2009, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgUgUMD-IiA&feature=fvst

Here's the link! :cool:

Looks freakin sweet. I just don't know if im prepared to drop 150 on a game.

I'm with you LT, I could have swore I paid more for the Halo3 limited edition.

Shazam!
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
You're right, it cost more. My bad.

The Collectors Edition Halo 3 is the version I have. Included was the tin, game, the bonus content DVD, poster and book for $69.99.

The Legendary Edition included all of that, more bonus content, maps, plus the helmet but you're right, it cost $129.99.