PDA

View Full Version : What John Lynch thinks

Dean
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Lynch puts in his :deadhorse: on the Broncos off season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4336504

ESPN

Updated: July 17, 2009, 3:09 PM ET
Lynch: 'Buyer beware' with Former All-Pro safety John Lynch joins the "Waddle & Silvy" show and takes aim at former teammate Brandon Marshall, and he also talks about Jay Cutler having some growing up to do.

Lynch, who retired last year and will be a FOX television analyst this season, was Marshall's teammate in Denver during the 2006 and '07 seasons. Marshall had made some noise about wanting to be traded, but he recently said he will report to training camp on time.

"I don't like saying [buyer beware], but you've got to call a spade a spade, and I think it's a dangerous proposition," Lynch said. "I don't think you'll see the Broncos sign him to a long-term deal, because right now the behavior he's demonstrated off the field, I don't think you'd feel comfortable doing anything long term.

"As I said, on the field, he's very comparable to a guy like Terrell Owens. He's that good of a player. But being a professional in my mind ... takes doing it on the field and off the field. You can't have all choir boys. I believe in first and second chances, but when you're talking about 13 or 14 ... I think at a certain point you've got to say this guy's got some issues that he's got to work out before you can trust him."

Marshall has one more season on his Denver contract. He's been arrested four times -- including once for domestic abuse -- since March 2006, and he has been penalized with one suspension.

Lynch was more complimentary of his former teammate Jay Cutler, whom the Bears acquired in an offseason trade with the Broncos.

"I like Jay, he's a friend of mine," Lynch said. "He had some growing up to do, probably still has some growing up to do. But in saying that, I think the Broncos erred in letting him go.

"This is a guy, in my mind, that's a once-in-every-15-year-type talent. He's got that kind of skill. I think he'll grow into the other things. I sometimes think during this whole ordeal, they tried to paint him as a bad guy, but he's not a bad guy at all. He's got some growing up to do, but hopefully he learned something from this whole ordeal and offseason."

Lynch said part of that maturation process for the 26-year-old Cutler is opening up.

"I think he's very reserved and to himself, and that's fine," Lynch said. "I think sometimes it's just the way -- I hate to put it on this -- but sometimes the new generation. They just don't understand things that you think everyone should understand. I think he wants to learn. I think he's reached out to people trying to learn, and I think he will because as I said, once you get to know him on a one-on-one basis, he's by no means a bad person or a bad teammate. He's just, as I mentioned, got some things to grow up in."

Lynch, who was born in Hinsdale, Ill., predicted the Bears would win the NFC North.

"You guys are in Chicago right? I was born in Hinsdale, so I better say Chicago," Lynch said. "Lovie [Smith is] a good friend. I think what bodes well for the Bears is Lovie getting back involved in that defense.

"I think at times you feel like, 'I just need to be a head coach,' but when you don't see the type of play that you're accustomed to seeing as a coach, I think he's as good as it gets as a defensive coach in this league, and he's going to get back involved. He's got a guy, Rod Marinelli, don't underestimate him. In our years in Tampa, we put more pressure on quarterbacks than anybody, and he was a big reason. You've got to have the players, but he gets the best out of each and every player. So the Bears, there's my pick."

©2009 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

ursamajor
07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
good find

Denver Native (Carol)
07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
If you click on the link, you can listen to it - much more there than what was printed.

Dean
07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
If you click on the link, you can listen to it - much more there than what was printed.

Thanks Carol. I missed that completely.
:congrats:

Overtime
07-18-2009, 07:06 PM
eh he said most of it accurately and hit it head on with the Brandon Marshall thing.

if Brandon wants a big contract, he needs to go out and display it in his work ethic, both on and off the field. he can't stay out of trouble off the field, and that makes him a liability. He's also under contract, he needs to fulfill that contract, keep his nose clean, and he'll be rewarded.

he was also wrong on Cutler when he said "hopefully" he learned something, from all this.

the only thing Butthurtler learned is that he if whines loud enough, and long enough, and throws a big enough temper tantrum, he'll get his way like the spoiled little brat that he is.

babies like that never learn anything and that's why Phillip Rivers will continue to embarrass him face to face at every game they ever play against each other in, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this....

but if Butthurtler and the Bears ever meet Rivers and the Chargers in the Super Bowl...

I hope Phillip Rivers put's a freaking QB clinic on and beats the Bears and I hope Butthurtler throws a record number of picks, and gets sacked a record number of times, because nothing would be sweeter than seeing him get owned by his nemesis.

so in essence, I just said I hope the Chargers win a Super Bowl over the Bears if they ever met (but only if it was Rivers vs. Butthurtler as the QB's).

*needs shot of whiskey after making that statement*

ursamajor
07-19-2009, 06:03 AM
eh he said most of it accurately and hit it head on with the Brandon Marshall thing.

if Brandon wants a big contract, he needs to go out and display it in his work ethic, both on and off the field. he can't stay out of trouble off the field, and that makes him a liability. He's also under contract, he needs to fulfill that contract, keep his nose clean, and he'll be rewarded.

he was also wrong on Cutler when he said "hopefully" he learned something, from all this.

the only thing Butthurtler learned is that he if whines loud enough, and long enough, and throws a big enough temper tantrum, he'll get his way like the spoiled little brat that he is.

babies like that never learn anything and that's why Phillip Rivers will continue to embarrass him face to face at every game they ever play against each other in, and I can't believe I'm gonna say this....

but if Butthurtler and the Bears ever meet Rivers and the Chargers in the Super Bowl...

I hope Phillip Rivers put's a freaking QB clinic on and beats the Bears and I hope Butthurtler throws a record number of picks, and gets sacked a record number of times, because nothing would be sweeter than seeing him get owned by his nemesis.

so in essence, I just said I hope the Chargers win a Super Bowl over the Bears if they ever met (but only if it was Rivers vs. Butthurtler as the QB's).

:eek:

CrazyHorse
07-20-2009, 07:27 AM
LOL @ Bears winning NFC North
Favre will return as their worst enemy,

Dean
07-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Training camp starts in a little over a week. Unless Favre is back by then, he probably won't be back.

Ravage!!!
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
I have to say that I agree with everything he said. Marshall is a prime talent on the field... if he can stay on the field.

Cutler is a one-ever-15-year talent... and we were foolish/stupid to let him go. No matter the whining.

I've always admired Lych. I think he has a very solid/intelligent head on his shoulders and respect his opinion.

rcsodak
07-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I have to say that I agree with everything he said. Marshall is a prime talent on the field... if he can stay on the field.

Cutler is a one-ever-15-year talent... and we were foolish/stupid to let him go. No matter the whining.

I've always admired Lych. I think he has a very solid/intelligent head on his shoulders and respect his opinion.

Sorry rav, but would you be saying that if he'd have said the opposite? :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see cut-n-run'er fail. He'll be playing better D's in the NFC. We'll see if his int's go up or down.

And he STILL needs to grow up. :coffee:

tumbana
07-21-2009, 01:15 AM

Yeah like how amazing Fave has done against them since Lovie became head coach? LOL!!!

tumbana
07-21-2009, 01:15 AM

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/25/1282587e745236724a24455xv9.gif

somebody mad

Shazam!
07-21-2009, 01:33 AM

... and if he said Denver was better off without Cutler's antics and whining, Lynch would be a washed up piece of trash who is a complete moron and never should've worn a Denver uniform.

tumbana
07-21-2009, 01:38 AM
... and if he said Denver was better off without Cutler's antics and whining, Lynch would be a washed up piece of trash who is a complete moron and never should've worn a Denver uniform.

Except Lynch didn't say that.

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Except Lynch didn't say that.

How do you know? :listen:

Thnikkaman
07-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah like how amazing Fave has done against them since Lovie became head coach? LOL!!!

Who is Fave?

rcsodak
07-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Who is Fave?

BFF? :confused: