PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Pro Dreams

Denver Native (Carol)
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9148

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If you're a collegiate coach looking for a lightning-quick wide receiver, an expeditious running back or a harefooted defensive back, chances are you'll find yourself venturing out to Palm Beach County, Fla.

Once there, you'll make your way toward the southeastern shore of Lake Okeechobee. You'll arrive in a town called Belle Glade, home to nearly 17,000 residents. Quickly, you'll discover that this city is known for two things: growing half the sugarcane in the nation … and producing a plethora of NFL-caliber talent.

Close to three dozen locals in this community have played in the NFL over the last three decades. Arizona's Anquan Boldin, Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes and New England's Fred Taylor are a few of the "Muck City" natives who have moved on to NFL stardom.

Alphonso Smith, the Broncos second round selection in the 2009 NFL Draft, is the most recent player who has found his way out of the Belle Glade area and onto an NFL roster. Growing up three houses down from Boldin, the 5-foot-9, 190-pound cornerback honed his football skills growing up in the small nearby town of Pahokee.

When asked if he was at all taken aback by the number of collegiate and NFL products to make it out of his hometown, Smith had an emphatic response.

"No, I'm not surprised," he said. "There are great athletes there. Everyone is fast. Quick, at least."

The Secret

University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer once called Belle Glade "the fastest place in the entire country." He and his in-state rival, legendary Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, are among a pack of top-tier collegiate head coaches who routinely visit area high schools. They enter the doors of Glades Central, Pahokee and other high schools, in search of top-of-the-line prospects.

So, the questions must be asked: How, in such a minimally-populated area, are so many Belle Glade youths turning into high-profile collegiate recruits? Is there a secret behind the success? A method to their madness? An unconventional training method, unforeseen anywhere else?

Perhaps. Like many of his area counterparts, Smith spent much of his childhood working in the sugarcane fields. That is where he and his comrades, starting around the age of seven, began picking up things other than footballs.

In the swampy fields, Smith, like his role model Boldin -- learned to go fearlessly through the muck and mud to catch rabbits -- by hand.

"When you are young, that is what you do," said Smith, the ACC's all-time leader in career interceptions. "It's common. It's like second nature. It's almost as if you are groomed to go chase rabbits."

A few days before grabbing the game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII, Holmes explained to a San Diego Union-Tribune reporter the thought process of Belle Glade natives when they chase rabbits. Then he revealed that scuttling through the swampy fields had to have helped him with his football ability.

"We did it because it helped us get money," Holmes said. "Now people are saying these guys are really fast because they chased rabbits. I never thought about it. But running in the muck and the soil that is down there, it's not like a football field. You have divots all over the ground you have to maneuver through. I think it strengthened my legs."

Every youngster in the Belle Glade area has their own reason for catching rabbits in the cane fields. Some capture them to provide dinner for their families. Most, however, like Holmes, look to profit from their hunting abilities.

Kids are able to sell their rabbits to those who can't go out there and chase them for themselves, typically making around $3 per rabbit. The cottontail rabbits -- known to be the toughest snag -- can earn a $5 reward. Legend has it that the cottontails run at speeds up to 35 miles per hour.

On one occasion, Smith said he was able to track down the near unstoppable rabbit.

"It was very hard," he said. "I got lucky. The key is to chase (the rabbits) until they get tired."

The Payoff

Once he started high school, Smith had given up on chasing rabbits in the cane fields. By that time, he became known for his throwing technique instead of his hunting technique. His change of direction skills in the muddy fields next to Lake Okeechobee helped him capture acclaim for his coverage ability on the field as a Pahokee High School Blue Devil.

As a dual-threat senior quarterback at Pahokee, Smith threw for 2,400 yards and 32 touchdowns, while also rushing for 640 yards and six scores. He led the Blue Devils to a 13-1 record and 2B state championship. At Wake Forest, he continued to put up stellar numbers. He was a two-time first-team All-ACC selection and led the nation in interceptions his final two years with the Deamon Deacons before becoming 37th overall pick in April's draft.

Still, No. 33 is quick to credit his upbringing for helping to develop his talents. He has no doubt that scrambling around those sugarcane fields as a child was time well spent.

"Oh, definitely," Smith said. "It helped in terms of changing direction and stuff like that."

Smith displayed his swift change of direction ability throughout the Broncos' organized team activities at Dove Valley. He'll get his next opportunity in two weeks, when the club opens training camp. Smith is not yet sure what his role will be in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's system. But he guarantees his speed will be on display each and every Sunday the Broncos take the field.

"I can promise that I'm going to play really hard and play like my hair is on fire," said Smith at his post-draft press conference. "When you play like that, making plays just happens naturally."