PDA

View Full Version : Camp Battles

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
I don't see a ton of camp battles, but here's a few:

Third WR - Caldwell, Stokley and a few others.

Third Down Back - Hillman, Moreno and a few others.

Who fills D.J. Williams' shoes - Woodyard, Irving

DT - Maybe the one starting position that's really a question mark.

Nickel/Dime - Drayton Florence and Chris Harris.

SS - Carter or Moore.

Returnman.

Tned
07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I read a piece from Andrew Mason (@maxbroncos) last night, and he threw JD Walton / Phillip Blake into the mix (at least I think it was a Mason piece).

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Would love to see Harris emerge, he's a physical CB who plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Would love to see some young blood at the CB position to give us something for the future.

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Would love to see Harris emerge, he's a physical CB who plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Would love to see some young blood at the CB position to give us something for the future.

I think people forget that Porter turns 26 in August.

Tned
07-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Hadn't thought about his age until you mentioned it, but I probably would have guessed he was older than that.

topscribe
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
He's also playing on a one-year contract. I would love to see that extended.

I think there will be a battle at RT, too. Harris is a very good pass protector.
Franklin excels in the running game, but he has been a revolving door for the
pass. Maybe Franklin will be better this year, but Harris will always have the
superior footwork, and if they can't open holes for the run in the middle of the
line, I can see Franklin's value there, especially if Kuper takes any kind of
setback.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, forgot about Tracy Porter.

Would love to se more of Chris harris as well.

TXBRONC
07-26-2012, 09:29 AM
The tight end situation may not be considered a camp battle but we still have J. Thomas and Green from last season so they will be battling for playing time.

Tned
07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, forgot about Tracy Porter.

Would love to se more of Chris harris as well.

I'm hoping that Omar Bolden pushes Harris for the dime or nickel spot.

MOtorboat
07-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Best case scenario at cornerback for the Broncos, IMO, is if Drayton Florence doesn't have a spot.

That means Porter, Harris, Bolden and Thompson are all coming through.

Tned
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Best case scenario at cornerback for the Broncos, IMO, is if Drayton Florence doesn't have a spot.

That means Porter, Harris, Bolden and Thompson are all coming through.

Definitely best long term case, hard to say if it's the best short term.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Think Boldin will be practice squad bound and hope he can make an impact on special teams in a few years, Chris Harris did a lot of good things last year coming into a difiicult position. Kid makes plays.

Tned
07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Think Boldin will be practice squad bound and hope he can make an impact on special teams in a few years, Chris Harris did a lot of good things last year coming into a difiicult position. Kid makes plays.

I'll be surprised if they try and put Bolden on the practice squad. He would probably get signed by another club.

topscribe
07-26-2012, 10:19 AM
I'll be surprised if they try and put Bolden on the practice squad. He would probably get signed by another club.
Yes, I was going to say. Bolden wouldn't be there by the end of the day. Harris
wouldn't be there, either, and maybe not Thompson. It seems to me that at CB
it may be make the team or get cut.

Timmy!
07-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I cant wait to see who wins the starting QB job.

topscribe
07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
For those who aren't aware of it, Cecil Lammey's Blog (http://denverssportsstation.com/page.php?page_id=90) talks about the top five
camp battles, in his view.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Maybe Boldin makes that final spot over Thompson. I don't think much of Thompson in terms of ever being a top 2 or 3 or 3 CB.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Calebe Hanie's got this.

BroncoJoe
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

jerk. I was going to post that.

I am interested in how Brock fairs - and if he'll assume the 2nd string position.

Tned
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
For those who aren't aware of it, Cecil Lammey's Blog (http://denverssportsstation.com/page.php?page_id=90) talks about the top five
camp battles, in his view.

There you go, I gave Mason credit for this, but it was Lammey that talked about the Walton/Blake battle to watch.

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I am interested in how Brock fairs - and if he'll assume the 2nd string position.

If he does, I think that's great news. He was wupposed to strictly come in this year, learn the cutlure, and watch Peyton Manning. On his learning curve I wasn't expecting him to be a backup contender to Manning until next year. Really hope he wins that spopt.

BroncoNut
07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
jerk. I was going to post that.

brock Osweiler?

Italianmobstr7
07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Think our CB's will be
Champ
Porter
Drayton
Harris
Bolden
Thompson

Ziggy
07-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention the kick return jobs yet. There's a spot on this team for a dynamic kick returner regardless of position, if we have one on the roster.

Cugel
07-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't see a ton of camp battles, but here's a few:

Third WR - Caldwell, Stokley and a few others.

Third Down Back - Hillman, Moreno and a few others.

Who fills D.J. Williams' shoes - Woodyard, Irving

DT - Maybe the one starting position that's really a question mark.

Nickel/Dime - Drayton Florence and Chris Harris.

SS - Carter or Moore.

Returnman.

SS -- Carter v. Moore -- today in practice Moore started with the first team ahead of Carter, but that should by no means be etched in stone. Aside from being a higher draft pick, Moore has done nothing to improve his standing over Carter who played exceptionally well for a rookie last year.

DT is not much of a question mark. Fox has always hated starting rookies and younger players and Del Rio loves big beefy guys in the middle. Ty Warren and Justin Bannan are the starters today om camp and unless injured, they will start game 1. Vickerson and Wolfe will backup and someone, maybe Siliga if he continues to impress the coaches and make the roster, will be the other backup.

WR -- that one's really wide open. They are only likely to keep 5 WRs instead of 6 last year (Eddie Royal was the 6th simply because he was a KR).

With Thomas and Decker locks as starters, that leaves 3 spots and 7 WRs on the current roster.

* Jason Hill has 6 years of experience, the last 2 in Jacksonville. He's never had more than 30 catches, but he started 10 games for Jacksonville last year and had 25 catches, which was enough for the Broncos to give him a look.

* Andre Caldwell -- Played 4 years for the Bengals and had 37 catches last season but only 2 starts. He'll have to fend off Stokely if he is to make the roster.

* Stokely -- After he was traded to Seattle in 2010 he had 31 catches for the SeaChickens. He's the veteran slot WR that a veteran QB like Manning loves. Knows how to find the seam and get open, knows where the first down marker is and doesn't run routes a yard short. He has no breakaway speed but is a valuable possession receiver.

He'd be a lock to make the team as a 3rd WR but there are serious doubts about how much he has left after 14 seasons. This could well be the last go-round for Brandon and he might well not make the roster. Think Jerry Rice's last season in Denver when he just didn't have it anymore. With age and injury that could be Stokely this year.

His big edge is his familiarity with Manning. Manning is very familiar with Stokely and vice-versa. That might give him a leg up on Caldwell for the 3rd or 4th spot.

* Matthew Willis -- Played the entire 2011 season for the Broncos and had 18 catches and a TD. Decent big play WR he's always had a high YPC average. He could wind up the 5th WR unless somebody on the bubble excels and really impresses the coaches. Willis is a marginal player, the kind you use to fill out your roster, but he's OK as your 5th WR.

Training Camp Fodder: These guys have no shot outside a miracle:

* Mark Dell -- Avoided the scrap heap last year when he was hurt during training camp and spent the entire season on IR. Gets another look this year. He had one catch in the pre-season.

* D'Andre Goodwin. Spent last year on the practice squad. Never had a catch in the pre-season. Gets one last look before his new career as a card greeter at Wall Mart.

* Tyler Grisham. • A "second-year" wide receiver (actually drafted in 2009) who played four games with Pittsburgh as a rookie in 2009 before spending the last two seasons on the Steelers’ practice squad. So at least being a former Steeler he should know how to block.

Greg Orton & Gerrell Robinson -- rookies up to the big leagues for a cup of coffee. :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Anyone else think Matt Willis might be a wildcard to getting some major pt?

He is similiar to Victor Cruz in NY in that he always lights it up in preseason, and Cruz did for 2 years before getting a chance.

Not saying he's Cruz by any means but Willis has always made plays when given an opportunity.

Cugel
07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
QB -- For those of you who have been living in a cave since the draft, Brock Osweiler is a LOOOONG term project. He's not remotely ready to come in and replace Manning in the event of injury and won't play a down this regular season except in an emergency if Caleb Haney goes down.

LB -- Despite all the hate surrounding DJ Williams he isn't going anywhere. Wesley Woodyard is starting ahead of him today, but that's because they need Woodyard ready when DJ's suspension takes effect.

For all those hoping the Broncos cut/trade Williams -- don't bother. It's NOT going to happen. Period. :coffee:

Considering all the off-field hassles that Williams has given the team he'd be LONG gone if he weren't their most talented LB outside of Miller. He stays whether you like it or not!

Biggest LB battle is whether Irving develops into a decent backup to Joe Mays or whether that's a huge weakness. Irving has been a total BUST so far, but he gets another year to improve.

Mike Mohammed is an interesting case. He was called up off the practice squad last year and could wind up backup to Miller at SLB.

The only other LBs on the roster are scrubs:

* Danny Trevethan was a 6th round pick. "6th round picks get cut all the time." -- Shannon Sharpe. He could wind up on the practice squad if he doesn't make the roster since the Broncos would like to give him some time to see if he develops.

* Steven Johnson, Jerry Franklin, Elliot Coffey. What? Did you blink or something? You must have missed their bus leaving Dove Valley.

Cugel
07-26-2012, 02:41 PM

He is similiar to Victor Cruz in NY in that he always lights it up in preseason, and Cruz did for 2 years before getting a chance.

Not saying he's Cruz by any means but Willis has always made plays when given an opportunity.

If Willis is 1/2 the player Cruz is that would be one major steal! Don't count on it. Willis is a nice 5th WR with decent speed and has made some big plays. He could be useful and might get some catches this season because Manning will spread the ball around to everyone who's open.

tubby
07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

No. I doubt he makes the team.

Cugel
07-26-2012, 02:53 PM
CB Chris Harris is the one really exciting find from last year. He started out training camp #10 on the roster of 10 CBs. His CBs coach admitted this summer that he didn't even know Harris's name.

Players like that are normally destined to a brief stop in the NFL before their dream gives way to the reality that their future is selling insurance.

But, Harris impressed everybody with his determination. Every time they put him in practice he'd do something to make the coaches say "that's pretty good." They couldn't justify cutting him so he made the roster.

Then by mid-season he'd made enough plays on special teams that they said "OK Chris, go on in the game." He kept making plays and the coaches kept saying "that wasn't bad." By season's end he was outplaying Andre Goodman and was probably the 2nd best CB on the roster.

This year he's probably a lock for the #3 or #4 CB. It's either him or Drayton Florence and that will be a battle between the old veteran and the determined younger player. I wouldn't put it past Harris to become the nickel back this season.

Which is a good thing. You can't have enough good CBs! Right now the Broncos have 4 decent ones all of whom can step in and start in an emergency.

Cast your mind back over many years of Broncos futility at CB. Remember the short, hopeful, tragic career of Darrent Williams? How Manning torched the Broncos CBs in the playoffs?

Hopefully a thing of the past.

Omar Bolden is the 5th CB of course, but the Broncos could keep 6 because Bolden is scheduled to be the KR. Last year they kept 6 WRs because Eddie Royal was a WR.

The question is whether Ramzee Robinson or Syd'Quan Thompson makes enough of an impression that the Broncos decide to keep either of them or just go with five CBs.

Cugel
07-26-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention the kick return jobs yet. There's a spot on this team for a dynamic kick returner regardless of position, if we have one on the roster.

Omar Bolden is going to get a look at KR. Hopefully he can become as good as Eddie Royal. They took him in the 4th round to strengthen their special teams. He returned kicks in college and has good speed and elusiveness.