PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com Preseason Power Rankings, Sure to Cause Debate

BroncoWave
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I think preseason power rankings are pretty worthless but it's something to discuss in the offseason. This is how this NFL.com article has it broken down...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82acb6e7/article/preseason-power-rankings-packers-pace-contenders?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

Top Shelf: Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens

Next level: Houston Texans, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints and Kansas City Chiefs

Contenders: San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks

Not sold: Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans

" In Denver, there is a lot of assuming Peyton Manning will be Peyton Manning and that their weaknesses suddenly will disappear."

Searching for mediocrity: Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins

Bottom feeders: Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams and Indianapolis Colts

BroncoWave
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
I must say it's borderline insanity that they have the Chiefs as a top 9 team but the Broncos scraping the top 20, but we'll see how it pans out.

rjent
07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I think these guys just use a Ouija board to conclude some of their thinking .....

LTC Pain
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/413236-Preseason-Power-Rankings-No-10-Denver-Broncos

BroncoWave
07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/413236-Preseason-Power-Rankings-No-10-Denver-Broncos

Not the same list.

NightTerror218
07-25-2012, 04:33 PM
so glad idiots can post on internet :rolleyes:

Seriously that list is really bad. KC in top 9. Us and 49ers in the 3rd tier? Seriously? 49ers should atleats be in the top tier. And having Panthers and Seattle above us, we had better season then both.

MOtorboat
07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
so glad idiots can post on internet :rolleyes:

Seriously that list is really bad. KC in top 9. Us and 49ers in the 3rd tier? Seriously? 49ers should atleats be in the top tier. And having Panthers and Seattle above us, we had better season then both.

Gregg Rosenthal isn't exactly an idiot. He's been covering the game for a long time.

I wouldn't put the Chiefs where he did and I wouldn't put the Broncos where he did. I'd probably put both of them in the contenders category. The Chiefs have a very solid supporting cast and a question mark at quarterback. The Broncos don't have the question mark at quarterback, but have holes elsewhere.

NightTerror218
07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Gregg Rosenthal isn't exactly an idiot. He's been covering the game for a long time.

I wouldn't put the Chiefs where he did and I wouldn't put the Broncos where he did. I'd probably put both of them in the contenders category. The Chiefs have a very solid supporting cast and a question mark at quarterback. The Broncos don't have the question mark at quarterback, but have holes elsewhere.

The statement was about being able to put crap online no matter who you are. I would have doubts about several of the positions. As for power ranking I have seen several dramatically different ones that actually make sense.

rationalfan
07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
The statement was about being able to put crap online no matter who you are. I would have doubts about several of the positions. As for power ranking I have seen several dramatically different ones that actually make sense.

yeah, but in this thread, near the link in question, your comment appears to clearly be aimed at rosenthal; which is fine, if you really think he's a bozo.

as for online idiots, if we all agreed on everything the internet would be much, much less interesting.

chazoe60
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Can't wait til the Chefs suck like they always do. I honestly see us dominating this division to the point we have it locked up by week 13 or so. Just my gut feeling.

Canmore
07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Can't wait til the Chefs suck like they always do. I honestly see us dominating this division to the point we have it locked up by week 13 or so. Just my gut feeling.

That would be nice. I don't see it but I would be thrilled if it happens. I see the AFC West going right down to the wire and I wouldn't be surprised to see it sorted out via the tie-breaker, again.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
This will all be thrown into chaos after we stomp a mud hole in the Steelers (one of the "top shelf" teams) week one. It will be blamed on injuries and there'll be a ton of excuses about the Steelers beating themselves but we will win.

I honestly think that half of the people still doubting Manning are just doing it to start controversy. It's ludicrous to think that we won't be better with Manning than we were without him. We won the division last year. I see absolutely no reason that we won't this year. Schedule, Schmedule... All those teams people think are going to be tough for us and will be the reason we don't repeat as division champs should fear us more than we fear them. We will be the team that wrecks one or two of those teams' playoff hopes, not the other way around. Fox, Del Rio, Manning, Von, Doom, Champ, DT, etc... I'm supremely confident in them. I just don't think people know who they're ******* with. The Broncos will be for real this season, bank on it.

12and4
07-25-2012, 07:18 PM
lol this is hilarious.

I bet if we had tebow we'd be top 10 on their list.

I mean... steelers in the top 5, and broncos grouped with bills chargers and titans????

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaha

and then they have the nerve to put the chiefs above the 49ers.

This is awesome. I haven't seen a list so horrible.

threefolddead
07-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Haha more love from the national media! Love it! I've listened to some of the guys on Sirius NFL radio talk about how we might be third in the division as well. Let em keep talkin! Fuel for the fire baby!

Simple Jaded
07-25-2012, 07:27 PM
" In Denver, there is a lot of assuming Peyton Manning will be Peyton Manning and that their weaknesses suddenly will disappear."

Um, their biggest weakness did disappear.......

LTC Pain
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Not the same list.

The common thread topic is NFL power rankings. So everyone who finds. a different NFL power ranking list should start a new thread with that list? Duplication, what a waste.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
This will all be thrown into chaos after we stomp a mud hole in the Steelers (one of the "top shelf" teams) week one. It will be blamed on injuries and there'll be a ton of excuses about the Steelers beating themselves but we will win.

I honestly think that half of the people still doubting Manning are just doing it to start controversy. It's ludicrous to think that we won't be better with Manning than we were without him. We won the division last year. I see absolutely no reason that we won't this year. Schedule, Schmedule... All those teams people think are going to be tough for us and will be the reason we don't repeat as division champs should fear us more than we fear them. We will be the team that wrecks one or two of those teams' playoff hopes, not the other way around. Fox, Del Rio, Manning, Von, Doom, Champ, DT, etc... I'm supremely confident in them. I just don't think people know who they're ******* with. The Broncos will be for real this season, bank on it.
It's not so much the schedule that concerns me, it's the quality of QB's that Denver has to face. We've talked about how Manning gives Denver a better chance to win, well the same goes for other teams with The Brady's and Brees's's...'s. Look at the QB's Denver faces before getting to Andy Dalton in Denver, it's a gauntlet, the worst QB is Carson Palmer, who put up 330 3td's and 3int's against Denver in only his second start last year.

The NFL really ****ed Denver with the way they scheduled the games too, aside from Joe Flacco the best QB's they face are packed into the beginning of the season, before Manning and his offense can hit their stride.

I hate to be a buzz kill but I'd advise caution, the AFCW is no where near the POS it was last year, 10-6 will not get you into the PO's, imo.......

HORSEPOWER 56
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
It's not so much the schedule that concerns me, it's the quality of QB's that Denver has to face. We've talked about how Manning gives Denver a better chance to win, well the same goes for other teams with The Brady's and Brees's's...'s. Look at the QB's Denver faces before getting to Andy Dalton in Denver, it's a gauntlet, the worst QB is Carson Palmer, who put up 330 3td's and 3int's against Denver in only his second start last year.

The NFL really ****ed Denver with the way they scheduled the games too, aside from Joe Flacco the best QB's they face are packed into the beginning of the season, before Manning and his offense can hit their stride.

I hate to be a buzz kill but I'd advise caution, the AFCW is no where near the POS it was last year, 10-6 will not get you into the PO's, imo.......

I disagree. The other teams in our division have to play roughly the same schedule we do. Homefield advantage is a myth - we were better on the road last year than at home. The NFL is all about passing and we have the best QB, the best pass rush, and the best CB in the division. The only thing that is suspect to me right now is the run defense, but I have absolute faith in Fox and JDR to improve it enough if by nothing else, scheme, to keep other teams from running roughshod on us.

Simple Jaded
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
I disagree. The other teams in our division have to play roughly the same schedule we do. Homefield advantage is a myth - we were better on the road last year than at home. The NFL is all about passing and we have the best QB, the best pass rush, and the best CB in the division. The only thing that is suspect to me right now is the run defense, but I have absolute faith in Fox and JDR to improve it enough if by nothing else, scheme, to keep other teams from running roughshod on us.I don't disagree with any of that, at all, I'm not predicting doom. And I hate putting too much into the schedule at this point in the season, but cheese and F'n rice do the Broncos face a lot of good QB's.

R-Berger
Matt Ryan (Away)
Matt Schaub
Palmer
Tom Brady (Away)
Phylis Rivers (Away)
Bye
Brees
Dalton (Away)
Cam Newton (Away)
Rivers
Matt Cassel (Away)
Josh Freeman
Palmer (Away)
Flacco (Away)
Brandon Weeden
Cassel

Brutal.......

nevcraw
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
it comes down to the defense.. Manning and co conservatively will score 21 a game. can the defense flaws and all hold another team to 20. I'd say we win a good chunk of those if manning does that and the defense can hold..

ShaneFalco
07-25-2012, 09:31 PM
my poor Rams

Simple Jaded
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
my poor RamsPersonally, I think the Rams are one of the up-and-coming teams. Losing their DC will hurt and l still don't think they're doiing Bradford any favors, but they're gonna be much improved, imo.......

Thnikkaman
07-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Its a good thing that 16 games need to be played.

FanInAZ
07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I think preseason power rankings are pretty worthless but it's something to discuss in the offseason. This is how this NFL.com article has it broken down...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82acb6e7/article/preseason-power-rankings-packers-pace-contenders?campaign=Twitter_atl_rosenthal

Top Shelf: Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens

Next level: Houston Texans, Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, New Orleans Saints and Kansas City Chiefs

Contenders: San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks

Not sold: Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans

Searching for mediocrity: Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins

Bottom feeders: Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams and Indianapolis Colts

I don’t have any problems with the 4 on the “Top Shelf,” but I can also see why some would have problems with the Steelers being there. Yes, they did lose to use in the play-offs, but they were one of the most dominate teams throughout the season and they did have significant injuries to overcome in the game against us. I wouldn’t pencil them in to the AFCCG, but I think there a good chance they be there.

As far as “The Next Level,” they put the defending SB champs there. Unless they just lost a boat load of key players that I don’t know about, you don’t do that to the defending champs. The Saints are a tough call. They would get consideration for “Top Shelf” any year, but this one. We will have to see how the “Bountygate” penalties impact them this year. I’d consider the Texans to be borderline in terms of being in this group, but what in the world are the Eagles & Chiefs doing there. Granted, I think the Chiefs have a pretty good crop of RBs and they probably would have finished with 10 or 11 wins if it weren’t for their QB injury. However, the “next level” for the Chiefs would simply be getting a post season win.

I’ll buy the Bengals, Bears & Lions being on the “Contenders” list. I think the Falcons are borderline as far as possibly belonging on “The Next Level.” In fact, I think they should be up there, but I can understand why some would disagree. Then there’s the 49ers. Do the people who made this list realize that they would have been in the SB by beaten the eventual SB champs if their PR hadn’t fumbled twice? For that they knock them all the way down here? Seriously, did the 49ers loose a ton of key players this offseason that I don’t know about? As for the Jets, Cowboys, Panthers & Seahawks; are you serious. The Jets took a major step back last year, the Cowboys have been in disarray since they let TO chase away Bill Parcells & the Seahawks are probably going to be starting a rookie QB. I’ll acknowledge that Cam Newton’s individual performance as a QB exceeded my expectation, but it only got the Panthers 6 wins last year.

As far as the Broncos, they bring up the same valid point that many are bring up concerning our expectations of Manning. I’m willing to give him the homer’s benefit of the doubt, but I do acknowledge that I’m being a total homer when doing so.

jhildebrand
07-25-2012, 11:13 PM
The AFCW will be much better than most expect. Denver doesn't just get the division because of #18. There are some nice additions at other places but there are some major holes as well. I can see why the writer chose not sold. This team has a tough schedule, too. It wont be a gimme year like the AFCW has been at times in the last 5-7 seasons.

ShaneFalco
07-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Personally, I think the Rams are one of the up-and-coming teams. Losing their DC will hurt and l still don't think they're doiing Bradford any favors, but they're gonna be much improved, imo.......

i duno, i just want them to get to the playoffs. Steven Jackson needs to win something.

CrazyHorse
07-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Final 8 last season, we go get the best QB ever and we fall?

TXBRONC
07-26-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't ever put stock in any power poll because they're meaningless.

That said, it shouldn't be any surprise why it came out the way it did concerning the Broncos. As I've mentioned several times Manning is coming off of a major injury that kept him sidelined for an entire season. He is also 36 years of age. It's no surprise they're skeptical. It's alson not just Manning they're skeptical about it's about how Denver went about addressing the other personnel issues.

I'm hopeful about the season but I still need to see them do it on the field.

As far as the schedule is concerned on paper it looks very difficult but as the old saying goes "it's not always about who you play but when you play them."

weazel
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
That list looks about right.