PDA

View Full Version : Broncos offer Ryan Clady five-year deal worth $50 million

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Training camp is about to begin and a significant gap must be closed if the Broncos are to lock up left tackle Ryan Clady with a long-term extension.

The Broncos have offered Clady a five-year, $50 million contract extension with $28 million guaranteed, according to an NFL source.

The $10 million a year average would make Clady one of the league's five highest-paid offensive tackles. He is scheduled to make $3.5 million this year, which ranks only 31st among NFL offensive tackles.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21133678/broncos-ryan-clady-five-year-deal-50-million

SR
07-22-2012, 08:12 PM
He is a dipshit if he doesn't take the offer

Davii
07-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Good offer. I expect Ryan to take it. If he's trying to hold out for top LT money he's crazy. This is a good offer.

SR
07-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Good offer. I expect Ryan to take it. If he's trying to hold out for top LT money he's crazy. This is a good offer.

That IS top left tackle money

Davii
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
That IS top left tackle money

That's top 5. I mean if he holds out to be the highest paid LT he's crazy.

Ziggy
07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
His agent knows that Manning will make him look like an all pro again. Even though it's a fair offer, I don't expect him to take it. I doubt he gives up more than 2 sacks this season if Manning stays healthy.

SR
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Ah ok. Then yes I agree with you

EMB6903
07-22-2012, 09:10 PM
If clady thinks he can make more in the future then best of luck to him.

No way should Denver pay him the kind of money he's supposedly looking for.

Chef Zambini
07-23-2012, 01:03 AM
take the coin and tell your agent to shut his pie hole !

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
He should take the money.

Northman
07-23-2012, 11:35 AM
To spider: You've got the recipe, where's my dough?

To human fly: Recipe incomplete. Cake won't rise. Hence, no dough.

To Spider: I am not the baker, but don't make me the butcher.

broncofaninfla
07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Greed, he'd be a fool not to take this offer if it's true. Clady's play has slipped since Shanny left but I still feel he is one of teh better LT's out there and should benifit with Mannings directions and quick release.

Jsteve01
07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
well we could always Walter Jones his ass until he acquiesces. Apparently he doesn't realize that it's now debatable whether he was the best LT in his draft class let alone in the league. I like him but sheesh top 5 money with the way you've played the past two years is pretty freaking generous.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
well we could always Walter Jones his ass until he acquiesces. Apparently he doesn't realize that it's now debatable whether he was the best LT in his draft class let alone in the league. I like him but sheesh top 5 money with the way you've played the past two years is pretty freaking generous.

well they can also franchise his ass 3 times and he will make $9.5 mill or take the contract and make $10 mill.

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 07:14 PM
well they can also franchise his ass 3 times and he will make $9.5 mill or take the contract and make $10 mill.

If he's franchised this year at $9.5 million, he would receive a 10 percent increase if franchised a second year, and he cannot be franchised a third year..

I hope he accepts this particular contract, but either way, they need to get him locked up.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 07:16 PM
If he's franchised this year at $9.5 million, he would receive a 10 percent increase if franchised a second year, and he cannot be franchised a third year..

I hope he accepts this particular contract, but either way, they need to get him locked up.

I believe you can get franchised 3 times in the new CBA. 10% increase and then a 20% increase. That was what all the stuff with Brees was about.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-brees-wins-franchise-tag-163015381--nfl.html

end of second paragraph states 3 times is the max for tag.

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-brees-wins-franchise-tag-163015381--nfl.html

end of second paragraph states 3 times is the max for tag.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8272422b/article/new-wrinkles-to-franchise-tag-salary-cap-happened-for-reason

I hadn't seen where it could be used more than twice in a row until the above article.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8272422b/article/new-wrinkles-to-franchise-tag-salary-cap-happened-for-reason

I hadn't seen where it could be used more than twice in a row until the above article.

so there is tag 1, tag +120%, tag 3 +144%

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 07:38 PM
so there is tag 1, tag +120%, tag 3 +144%

That's what I'm reading. I thought from reading the Drew Brees' stuff it was two years in a row and three times in your career, but apparently you can get franchised three times in a row, but the player would get those raises.

NightTerror218
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
That's what I'm reading. I thought from reading the Drew Brees' stuff it was two years in a row and three times in your career, but apparently you can get franchised three times in a row, but the player would get those raises.

Yah. That would piss of a player I bet. And they can no longer hold out either.

Tned
07-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Andrew Mason tweeted this earlier today:

RT @MaxBroncos: In the 2008 NFL Draft, 8 of the top 26 picks were OTs. Only 2 have made Pro Bowls: No. 1 overall pick Jake Long & #Broncos' Ryan Clady.

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I know it's his rookie contract, but Long is set to make $11.2 million in base salary this year. I think the $10 million a year offered to Clady seems fair. The guaranteed money is $5 million more than Joe Thomas' deal.

I know I'm an advocate for paying the man, but this seems a pretty fair contract, if the proposal leaked is the true deal.

Tned
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I know it's his rookie contract, but Long is set to make $11.2 million in base salary this year. I think the $10 million a year offered to Clady seems fair. The guaranteed money is $5 million more than Joe Thomas' deal.

I know I'm an advocate for paying the man, but this seems a pretty fair contract, if the proposal leaked is the true deal.

I know Thomas' deal was a couple years back (if I remember correctly), but I was curious how it stacked up.

MOtorboat
07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I know Thomas' deal was a couple years back (if I remember correctly), but I was curious how it stacked up.

Thomas had $23 guaranteed, Clady is being offered $28. Seems reasonable.

shank
07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
hopefully clady signs it. seems reasonable for both sides. he's only going to look better in front of manning, and the price will only go up IMO.

Chef Zambini
07-23-2012, 11:49 PM
actually, the tag ends up the better long term deal over 3 years so if he is confidentin his skills, he would turn down the offer and settle for the tag !its more money! and other than the little bytch in the highchair, who does not like more money?

Tned
07-24-2012, 07:00 AM
actually, the tag ends up the better long term deal over 3 years so if he is confidentin his skills, he would turn down the offer and settle for the tag !its more money! and other than the little bytch in the highchair, who does not like more money?

Unless he gets another injury. He signs the contract and he's got $28 mil guaranteed. If he blows out a knee this season, or has another pickup basketball injury, and he could lose out on tens of millions working his way back. The very reason most plays don't want to work on a series of one year contracts, even if they would get more that way.

MOtorboat
07-24-2012, 07:30 AM
With contract structures and league rules, players care mostly about guaranteed money versus base salary.

Mike
07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
The Broncos shouldn't offer more than this. This is a generous offer given his production over the last two seasons.

Tned
07-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The Broncos shouldn't offer more than this. This is a generous offer given his production over the last two seasons.

Agreed. Considering his non-football injury, which clearly hurt his performance and took a while to come back from, this seems like a very fair contract for both Broncos and Clady.

Tned
07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Lindsay Jones is on Mile High Sports this morning and she says Denver and Clady are still quite a ways off. She says that while the Broncos are at $10 a year, Clady is asking for $11.5 million a year. So, while there is middle ground for them to meet at, Clady wants more than the deal on the table.

She also says that he has a lot of leverage.

Pudge
07-24-2012, 08:34 AM
He does have some leverage, while he may not be elite he is better than anything available, and the broncos need to protect there new quarterback.

Tned
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
He does have some leverage, while he may not be elite he is better than anything available, and the broncos need to protect there new quarterback.

Yep, that was her point. Even if he hasn't been as good as pre-injury, he's still top 5 in the league.

Pudge
07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
That should have been their, this is why I just lurk.

Chef Zambini
07-24-2012, 09:14 AM
clady was awesome as a rookie, with the new training staff we have clady will be awesome again.
this is a good deal, his agent is being a dick just so he can make his coin with a new deal.

SR
07-24-2012, 09:19 AM
The longer this drags out the more pessimistic I am about a deal being reached soon.

FlyByU
07-24-2012, 09:35 AM
That contract should have some clauses in it such as more then 5 sacks allowed takes 1 million off 10 sacks 2 million and so on.

silkamilkamonico
07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
The longer this drags out the more pessimistic I am about a deal being reached soon.

I don't think there's any reason to get pessemistic. Denver isn't going to let him just walk with just signing Peyton Manning. I would hope they are smarter than that.

MOtorboat
07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
That contract should have some clauses in it such as more then 5 sacks allowed takes 1 million off 10 sacks 2 million and so on.

I'm pretty sure that the CBA doesn't allow performance decentives (is that even a word?).

Chef Zambini
07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
behavioral clause.
the incentive clause sets a minimum of acheivement as well as a goal that kicks in added compensation.
as others have stated, its all about the guarantee money, just ask clairice and his lame agent !

NightTerror218
07-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Lindsay Jones is on Mile High Sports this morning and she says Denver and Clady are still quite a ways off. She says that while the Broncos are at $10 a year, Clady is asking for $11.5 million a year. So, while there is middle ground for them to meet at, Clady wants more than the deal on the table.

She also says that he has a lot of leverage.

broncos have franchise tags to use on him to pay him less then the $11.5M he wants. Unless then give him a heavy incentive contract with pro bowl and sacks allowed or something.

Chef Zambini
07-24-2012, 01:47 PM
clady can take the security of this deal, with a guarantee of money, allowing the broncos to take the risk, or he can settle for the TAG which will earn him more, year by year, but HE then assumes all the risk.
His agent most likely gets MORE $$$ if he signs a new contract, instead of the franchise, thats why his agent is more interested in a new contract. it means more money for the agent.
clady should take the security of the guarantee this contract offers and then try to figure out a way to scrape out a living on 10 million dollars a year!
food stamps, bro !

Jsteve01
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
You know if you look at Doom's deal and I know we're talking different positions but maybe it's not that big a deal to give him the 7.5 million. It's still less than Doom and he's not a trouble maker.
As much as I want to play devil's advocate we might as well get it done now because the scale keeps going up and barring injury he will have an all pro year with Manning at the helm

NightTerror218
07-24-2012, 04:08 PM
You know if you look at Doom's deal and I know we're talking different positions but maybe it's not that big a deal to give him the 7.5 million. It's still less than Doom and he's not a trouble maker.
As much as I want to play devil's advocate we might as well get it done now because the scale keeps going up and barring injury he will have an all pro year with Manning at the helm

Broncos can keep him under this contract, franchise him the next 2 seasons and still not pay him as much as he wants.

MOtorboat
07-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Broncos can keep him under this contract, franchise him the next 2 seasons and still not pay him as much as he wants.

If he were to stay healthy in those three years he would make $38.682 million by math. So, roughly $12 million less, but it's not guaranteed...

Jsteve01
07-24-2012, 05:25 PM
And then you'd have an even higher scale to deal with for a LT in the prime of his career. I'd rather pay him now and eliminate the potential for him leaving at the age of 28 right around the time Peyton may choose to hang it up.

Tned
07-24-2012, 07:43 PM

It might not be worth creating a disgruntled player.

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

Chef Zambini
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
is it better to be gruntled or disgruntled?

Mike
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

There is that. But it allows the team time to address a replacement player if a long-term deal cannot be reached. I don't want to see Denver over pay players. If he won't accept this deal, let him ride it out and if he returns to form offer more and if he still refuses a higher offer, tag him. I'd rather pay good money for a known commodity than overpay for a question mark...anything higher than this offer crosses that threshhold, IMO.

Chef Zambini
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I still think that clady would take this deal if his agents first name wasnt richard !

NightTerror218
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM

players have egos and want to be paid like they are the best ever. Clady is not the top LT in the NFL. His play has slipped last couple years. He may be a top 10 players offered a top 5 contract.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
It appears Ryan Clady will line up at the Broncos' first training camp practice Thursday with Elvis Dumervil in front of him and a bunch of loot behind him.

The Broncos and Clady's representatives are continuing to work on a contract extension for the left tackle but an agreement did not seem likely by the time the Broncos opened training camp with practice at 8:50 a.m. Thursday.

Clady is in the final season of a five-year contract that will pay him $3.5 million. The Broncos' latest proposal called for Clady to make $50 million over the next five years with $28 million guaranteed.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21159959/broncos-ryan-clady-continue-negotiate-possible-contract-extension?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter