PDA

View Full Version : The Open

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 06:04 PM
My favorite championship.

Leader board is pretty mixed, but there's Tiger, so ratings will be up. Brandt Snedeker on top. Surprised to see his name up there.

Tom Watson, playing the weekend at 63 years young.

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm not a hue fan of linx golf but I hope the weather gets bad. Then it is more fun to watch

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 07:39 PM
I love Links golf. I've only had the pleasure to play the bastardized American version, and someday hope to play the real thing. There's something somewhat quaint about the Open.

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I've played both and I like the North American courses. ( I say NA cause I play mostly in Canada) It is very different granted and maybe it is because that is what I am use to.

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I've played both and I like the North American courses. ( I say NA cause I play mostly in Canada) It is very different granted and maybe it is because that is what I am use to.

I think Americans tend to forget that all British golf isn't played this way, just the Open. They have a number of non-Links style courses in England too.

And something about the history intrigues me too. The fact that St. Andrews has been around for something like seven centuries.

NightTerror218
07-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Tiger has come on strong lately.

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 07:48 PM

He's driving the ball better. When he gets in trouble is when he shanks stuff into the gallery (which is probably true for every player).

NightTerror218
07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
He's driving the ball better. When he gets in trouble is when he shanks stuff into the gallery (which is probably true for every player).

True. I remember after his fiasco marriage fall out. He was 2-3 putting. That was the first part of his game to return and seems to be his strong suite right now too. He is an amazing putter.

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I think Americans tend to forget that all British golf isn't played this way, just the Open. They have a number of non-Links style courses in England too.

And something about the history intrigues me too. The fact that St. Andrews has been around for something like seven centuries.
There are courses in Canada that play more links style too. I play one often that leans that way but also has NA style blended in. I do agree the tradition of the old courses is very appealing

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Takes time to come back from major injuries mixed with total swing changes.

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 07:55 PM

I think one of Tiger's major flaws has been his propensity to blame "the swing" and repeatedly trying to reinvent it.

NightTerror218
07-20-2012, 07:57 PM

you mean swinging with multiple ladies?

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 07:58 PM
you mean swinging with multiple ladies?

When he was banging every groupie in sight he was winning.

Just saying.

NightTerror218
07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
When he was banging every groupie in sight he was winning.

Just saying.

very true. And afterwards he too much tension to be able to play. He must be getting back into the "swing" of things.

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 08:02 PM
very true. And afterwards he too much tension to be able to play. He must be getting back into the "swing" of things.

He played, and swung, with a reckless abandon, and apparently lived that way too.

Now, when he's trying to live clean, it's probably hard to capture that same feeling by having to switch it on and off.

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I think one of Tiger's major flaws has been his propensity to blame "the swing" and repeatedly trying to reinvent it.

Busted up knees really can **** with a golf swing

MOtorboat
07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Busted up knees really can **** with a golf swing

He messed with his swing three times over before the knee injuries.

MileHighCrew
07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
He messed with his swing three times over before the knee injuries.

And each time it took time to come back

Leftee.t.g.jr
07-21-2012, 11:38 AM
What is wrong with Lefty? He's missed two cuts in a month, he seems to be missing something... I don't know if his heart is still in the right place. I'm a fan of Phil's and I'd like nothing more but to see him finally win the two opens to complete a career slam. He needs to really take a good hard look and make up his mind as to where he wants his legacy to end. A solid career filled with a ton of what ifs or conquer these US Open demons and also pull out a British to end his career with zero questions... He can look at his trophy case and see that he won every meaningful event golf has to offer! At 42 Phil is truly at a crossroads right now. Gut check time.

Chef Zambini
07-25-2012, 09:58 AM
phil is not 100% healthy, he has an arthritis like condition.
I was happy to see ernie els win, great guy, nice guy, you could even tell hoe unpleasant it was for ernie when adam scott fell apart coming down the stretch.
Scott is young, he will recover, just ask rory mac.

MOtorboat
07-15-2014, 01:03 PM
My favorite day in sports is Sunday at Augusta. My favorite week is The Open.

BroncoJoe
07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Went golfing again yesterday with the FSIL. My drives were pretty good, but I couldn't hit anything well on my 2nd shot and scored so bad I didn't even add it up.

Of course, I got birdie on 18, so I'll be out on the course again soon. So F'ing typical of this God forsaken sport.

BroncoJoe
07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Went golfing again yesterday with the FSIL. My drives were pretty good, but I couldn't hit anything well on my 2nd shot and scored so bad I didn't even add it up.

Of course, I got birdie on 18, so I'll be out on the course again soon. So F'ing typical of this God forsaken sport.

An example of how my day went:

Hole 13. Par 4 @ 425 yards. Tree lined. Hit a nice drive approx. 225 yards to the left, near a few trees in the rough. Thought I could sneak one through with a 7-iron runner. Nope. Hit one of the trees, ricocheted across the fairway into the right rough between another couple of trees. Again, thought I could sneak one through - hit it square and hard right into another tree, shot backwards around 20 yards - right behind another tree. Pulled out my wedge, thinking I had enough room to clear the top of the tree and at least get onto the fairway. Nope. Hit a branch at the top, dribbled down just in front leaving me with a 200 yard approach lying 4. Hit a 5 iron into the sand to the left of the green, two strokes later I'm finally within striking distance of the hole. Hit it a bit too hard, skipped over the hole leaving me with a 10 foot put. Finally sank that one for a 9.

I also took a 6 on a par 3 that I don't want to talk about.

MOtorboat
07-15-2014, 01:43 PM
An example of how my day went:

Hole 13. Par 4 @ 425 yards. Tree lined. Hit a nice drive approx. 225 yards to the left, near a few trees in the rough. Thought I could sneak one through with a 7-iron runner. Nope. Hit one of the trees, ricocheted across the fairway into the right rough between another couple of trees. Again, thought I could sneak one through - hit it square and hard right into another tree, shot backwards around 20 yards - right behind another tree. Pulled out my wedge, thinking I had enough room to clear the top of the tree and at least get onto the fairway. Nope. Hit a branch at the top, dribbled down just in front leaving me with a 200 yard approach lying 4. Hit a 5 iron into the sand to the left of the green, two strokes later I'm finally within striking distance of the hole. Hit it a bit too hard, skipped over the hole leaving me with a 10 foot put. Finally sank that one for a 9.

I also took a 6 on a par 3 that I don't want to talk about.

But you birdied 18.

BroncoJoe
07-15-2014, 01:45 PM
But you birdied 18.

I BIRDIED 18!!!!!!!

I could turn pro, you know.

MOtorboat
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Sergio is so frustrating to watch.

OB
07-18-2014, 12:24 PM
I love some of these sand traps - they are insane - i will have to watch some this weekend - I hardly watch gold anymore now that Im not with ex Mr 420 - he had it on all day eeerday

chazoe60
07-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Has this tournament been worth passing up poon, MO?

MOtorboat
07-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Has this tournament been worth passing up poon, MO?

That particular poon, yes. Give me a better option and I'll give you a different answer. Now go away.

Besides, I wouldn't be getting any during the hours the tournament is on, anyway.

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 08:57 AM
The coffee is on, the leaders are rolling.

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 08:59 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24628307/rory-mcilroys-dad-bet-on-him-to-win-open-before-age-26

Rory McIlroy's dad bet on him to win British Open before age 26
By Kyle Porter | Golf Writer

Well this certainly makes Sunday at the British Open more intriguing.

According to Andrew Cotter of BBC Rory McIlroy's dad and two of his friends put $683 (I did the math here) on Rory McIlroy to win the British Open by the age of 25 at 500-1 odds.

The catch?

They did it in 2004.

So we're looking at a $342,000 payout on Sunday if McIlroy, who leads by six over Rickie Fowler, cruises home.

That's nothing compared to what McIlroy himself stands to make ($1.2 million) but it's still a gutsy pick.

NightTrainLayne
07-20-2014, 09:48 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24628307/rory-mcilroys-dad-bet-on-him-to-win-open-before-age-26

That's a pretty cool story. I wonder why $658. Seems like a pretty random number.

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 09:52 AM
That's a pretty cool story. I wonder why $658. Seems like a pretty random number.

500 pounds.

NightTrainLayne
07-20-2014, 09:57 AM
500 pounds.

You know, they say there are no stupid questions, but I think that one may just have been.

However, looks like it was 400 pounds after I clicked on the link.

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 10:54 AM
You know, they say there are no stupid questions, but I think that one may just have been.

However, looks like it was 400 pounds after I clicked on the link.

Oh, ok. I thought it said 500.

Because...

MOtorboat
07-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Haha.

Sergio shanks one into the stands and it bounces back into the first cut, lol.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2014, 03:06 PM
That was a good end to the Open - a bit of drama. Had McIlroy pulled a Sergio from that bunker, it would have provided more drama.

Has Sergio ever won a major?

Also, I thought Rickie's outfit was outstanding.

MOtorboat
07-21-2014, 03:47 PM
That was a good end to the Open - a bit of drama. Had McIlroy pulled a Sergio from that bunker, it would have provided more drama.

Has Sergio ever won a major?

Also, I thought Rickie's outfit was outstanding.

Rickie has grown up a little bit. I thought the black pants were a little classier than the all orange get up.

And no, Sergio hasn't won one. He's the best player without one right now, IMO, followed closely by Rickie. Best finish 4th in the Masters, 3rd in the U.S. Open and 2nd in the British and PGA. He has won a Players Championship.

BroncoJoe
07-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Rickie has grown up a little bit. I thought the black pants were a little classier than the all orange get up.

And no, Sergio hasn't won one. He's the best player without one right now, IMO, followed closely by Rickie. Best finish 4th in the Masters, 3rd in the U.S. Open and 2nd in the British and PGA. He has won a Players Championship.

I thought they were blue?

I found myself pulling for Sergio at the end, even though I wanted Rory to win from the get-go.

To be honest, I had never heard of (or paid attention to) Rickie until this Open.

MOtorboat
07-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I thought they were blue?

I found myself pulling for Sergio at the end, even though I wanted Rory to win from the get-go.

To be honest, I had never heard of (or paid attention to) Rickie until this Open.

Top five finishes in all three majors this year. 4th, 2nd and 2nd.