PDA

View Full Version : Contract terms block Ryan Clady deal with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Contract negotiations between the Broncos and all-pro left tackle Ryan Clady have been snagged. The two sides recently exchanged multiyear proposals but the numbers were far enough apart that an NFL source said an extension by the time the Broncos are to report to training camp next Wednesday does not seem likely.

Clady, the Broncos' first-round pick in the 2008 draft, is scheduled to make $3.5 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract.

If a contract extension is not reached by the start of training camp, chances increase that Clady would become a free agent at season's end. As a free agent, the chances would also increase that the Broncos would place the franchise tag on Clady next season. The franchise-tag salary for offensive linemen this year is $9.3 million.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21098052/terms-block-clady-deal

SoCalImport
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Please just take a look at the most recent long term deal given to a franchise LT and pay the man.

example:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4231521

"The San Francisco 49ers signed tackle Joe Staley to a six-year contract extension through 2017, the team announced Thursday.

Staley will receive $42 million for the six additional years and the new money could grow to $45 million depending on how he plays, a source told ESPN.com. Staley is expected to receive $18 million in guarantees."

I'd think that's fair for Clady. Although I have no idea what the Broncos offered him or what he's after.

NightTerror218
07-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Please just take a look at the most recent long term deal given to a franchise LT and pay the man.

Broncos are tight with their money unless your name is Peyton.

drewloc
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Broncos are tight with their month unless your know is Peyton.

Wait...what did you say?

SoCalImport
07-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Broncos are tight with their month unless your know is Peyton.

predictive text?

NightTerror218
07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
predictive text?

epic failure of typing skills.

OrangeHoof
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Then again, protecting your franchise QB's blind side might be more important to this franchise than your average one. Just get a deal done. Don't pinch pennies on this.

CoachChaz
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Is Clady worth what we thought after his first 2 seasons?

Buff
07-18-2012, 04:46 PM

I think this year will be the prove it year. He had his knee injury, he had to block for a running left-handed QB and a statue... So now will be a good test to see if those years were aberrations or if his play has declined.

weazel
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
why would Clady be paid the same as "a franchise LT"? He's simply not among the best at his position and is a holding machine. If you pay him what he wants make sure you put a clause in the contract stating he loses 5% of his pay for every holding penalty... he will be free at the end of the year and owe the team money.

SoCalImport
07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
There are definitely mitigating factors to Clady's penchant for holding as Buff mentioned. I, for one think that Protecting a QB that is neither Tim Tebow nor Kyle Orton will allow him to shine.

NightTerror218
07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Wouldnt Manning be considered a statue also? He is going to be in the pocket the entire time. He wont be scrambling. But he will get the ball out quick and on the MONEY.

Simple Jaded
07-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Got my mind on my month and my month on my mind.......

chazoe60
07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Everyone knows I liked Tebow, but one thing even I admit is that he was very hard on our OL. I played OL forever, obviously not at that level but one thing is constant at those positions; the hardest guy to block for is the unpredictable scrambling QB. You just never know where he'll be and thus you never know where you need to move your oponent.

Peyton Manning makes OLs look very good, I predict Clady will have an all-pro season and will eventually demand elite LT money, which we will give him.

TXBRONC
07-18-2012, 09:02 PM
why would Clady be paid the same as "a franchise LT"? He's simply not among the best at his position and is a holding machine. If you pay him what he wants make sure you put a clause in the contract stating he loses 5% of his pay for every holding penalty... he will be free at the end of the year and owe the team money.

He is considered one of the best at his position.

Simple Jaded
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
He is considered one of the best at his position.

Some stat geek probably came up with an algorithm that ranks Clady as a stiff with two left feet, that's about all it takes these days.......

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2012, 09:41 PM
He's still one of the best LT's in the business. The only people who don't seem to think so seem to lurk around orange and blue message boards. If we don't pay him franchise LT money, somebody else will be glad to do it. He won't be replaced any time soon either. People think he didn't play well lest year, but yet he still graded out as the best all around lineman we had, playing the most difficult position on the line.....but yeah, he's over rated....

silkamilkamonico
07-18-2012, 11:38 PM

No. Hes played himself out of that role the last few seasons.

Denver should get a feel to see how much he likes denver. If he wants the big payday let him go.

silkamilkamonico
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Clady hasnt played like the top of his position since his second year in the league. Hes still a solid player, but he is not one of the better LTs in the game right now.

Davii
07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Clady hasnt played like the top of his position since his second year in the league. Hes still a solid player, but he is not one of the better LTs in the game right now.

I disagree. I think with a "typical" pocket passer back there Clady will once again be one of the top LTs in the game. Let's be honest here, he was either blocking for the fainting goat, or the guy that would run around like mad to the point his linemen never had a clue how to pass block for him. Now, if the qb is taking a 3 step drop Clady will know exactly where to push the rusher, the qb will get the ball out on time, recognize pressure, etc.

Clady is a damned good player, he will show it again. He IS top ten LT and should be paid as such, not the highest paid but not the lowest either.

ShaneFalco
07-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Everyone knows I liked Tebow, but one thing even I admit is that he was very hard on our OL. I played OL forever, obviously not at that level but one thing is constant at those positions; the hardest guy to block for is the unpredictable scrambling QB. You just never know where he'll be and thus you never know where you need to move your oponent.

Peyton Manning makes OLs look very good, I predict Clady will have an all-pro season and will eventually demand elite LT money, which we will give him.
i agree but its also harder on the defense, jarius byrd played qb for us in highschool when we went to state, scrambling Qb, no1 could even tackle him. I always had trouble tackling scrambling QBs versus the pocket guys, NFL is definitly another level tho, i dont think many Pocket guys get rid of the ball as fast as Manning does.

Manning helps o line, but D knows where he will be every play. So it goes both ways to be honest. Both can make the O line good. i dont think it really matters.

p.s. PAY CLADY

Canmore
07-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I disagree. I think with a "typical" pocket passer back there Clady will once again be one of the top LTs in the game. Let's be honest here, he was either blocking for the fainting goat, or the guy that would run around like mad to the point his linemen never had a clue how to pass block for him. Now, if the qb is taking a 3 step drop Clady will know exactly where to push the rusher, the qb will get the ball out on time, recognize pressure, etc.

Clady is a damned good player, he will show it again. He IS top ten LT and should be paid as such, not the highest paid but not the lowest either.

I was discussing this with my brother. I think the knee injury has hampered Clady. Blocking for Orton or Tebow was no cup of tea. My feeling is that Clady is going to regain his form with Manning. If not we will be looking for a new quarterback and left tackle.

ShaneFalco
07-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Some OL do get better with age, i dont think 1 off year is anything to fuss about.

Davii
07-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Some OL do get better with age, i dont think 1 off year is anything to fuss about.

Especially not when taken in context with the rest of the year, ie Orton/Tebow a complete total 100% difference in how the line had to play, the change in basic blocking schemes from McAss to Fox, etc.

Softskull
07-19-2012, 12:47 AM

Exactly. Tebow's middle name was chaos. Nobody new what was happening. Oline, Wrs, even the QB. It was madness. Peyton brings order. I like order.

Davii
07-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Exactly. Tebow's middle name was chaos. Nobody new what was happening. Oline, Wrs, even the QB. It was madness. Peyton brings order. I like order.

Order(s) make(s) the world go round

Chef Zambini
07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
signing clady would be a move to safety.
PM's safety.

ShaneFalco
07-19-2012, 02:46 AM
clady at safety? strong!

chazoe60
07-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Commies love their order. ;)

GEM
07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh ffs....do you take the 2 years that he played at all pro level and was talked about as one of the best in the business or do you take the one year that he was blocking for a slow RB who played the QB position as the anomaly? Time will tell....but I hope some are ready to eat some words cause Clady is going to bring it this season.

GEM
07-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Let's not forget that defensive coordinators stuck their rushers in just about every down and they brought the force to keep Tebow in the pocket. Holding calls were because Clady was trying to keep top rushers out of Tebow's face.

Clady's only been in the league a few short years. His first 2 years he was talked about as one of the best in the league. He was part of a group that only allowed 12 sacks of Jay Cutler. Then he injures his knee, comes back much sooner than was expected and his position was changed to that of a Left handed QB's right hand man. No longer the blind side blocker and no longer the blocker for a typical pocket passer. There were a lot of factors in his deterioration and not many of them sit on Clady's shoulders. A lot of people are fooling themselves if they think he won't go back to his high level of play behind Peyton Manning.

Mike
07-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Let's not forget that defensive coordinators stuck their rushers in just about every down and they brought the force to keep Tebow in the pocket. Holding calls were because Clady was trying to keep top rushers out of Tebow's face.

Clady's only been in the league a few short years. His first 2 years he was talked about as one of the best in the league. He was part of a group that only allowed 12 sacks of Jay Cutler. Then he injures his knee, comes back much sooner than was expected and his position was changed to that of a Left handed QB's right hand man. No longer the blind side blocker and no longer the blocker for a typical pocket passer. There were a lot of factors in his deterioration and not many of them sit on Clady's shoulders. A lot of people are fooling themselves if they think he won't go back to his high level of play behind Peyton Manning.

I hope your right and if he does he should get paid for it. I like the guy and hope he locks it down again, but his play has been lacking since his injury so I would like to see him dominate before seeing the Broncos show him the money.

Chef Zambini
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I can see them re-negotiating in the middle of this season, based on performance. I can understand their wait and see M.O. If Clady looks like he did as a rookie, they wont let him get away !

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

I like Clady and want him to play to form, the organization needs a guy like him to play to form.

But in reality, his first 2 seasons were stellar, he was one of the best LT's in the league. 2010 he was comoing off a major injury and, for a lack of a better word, struggled trying to get healthy again. It wasn't a bad year, but it wasn't a great year by any means. Last year he led the league in holding calls. I don't buy this excuse that he led the league in holding calls, because of Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton. That's pu$$y talk. He isn't the only LT in the entire NFL that played with inept QB's from a mobiilty standpoint.

So Clady's career currently entails 2 outstanding years, and 2 mediocre to bad years. Where will he go from here? COming down to the extension, if he want's top end money, he doesn't deserve it because as far as an elite LT, he's a question mark.

I think Denver should make him play out this year, and if he gets back to form, franchise him next year and work out a long term deal. If he wants to sign an extension that isn't top 8 LT money, great.

NightTerror218
07-19-2012, 12:33 PM
After his injury he has not produced like a top LT. Lets see how this season goes. He is a pro bowl caliber player deserving of a big pay day but not sure if top LT is the way to go.

weazel
07-19-2012, 12:49 PM
okay I will change my view and agree with the majority on this board in saying he is among the best in the league and it was Tebow's fault that he looked horrible for the last two seasons. I didnt think Tebow was our regular QB two seasons ago, but I will forget about that to make it easier to agree with this excuse.

BUT... what if he signs for big money and cant block for a QB that doesnt move and gets rid of the ball as quick as any QB ever has? Is it then Manning's fault that Clady couldn't get the job done?

NightTerror218
07-19-2012, 01:02 PM

lets not forget Tebow did not start 2 years ago, Orton did. So you cant blame a lefty for Cladys not up to par performance that year either. i think he is good but not one of the best ATM.

MOtorboat
07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
It continues to amaze me how the best players on a team always get bagged on. It's not solely Broncos players, it happens in every fan base. I just find it strange.

Pay the man.

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Pay the money what he's worth right now if he wants the extension. He isn't elite right now, so don't pay him elite.

turftoad
07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
lets not forget Tebow did not start 2 years ago, Orton did. So you cant blame a lefty for Cladys not up to par performance that year either. i think he is good but not one of the best ATM.

He was comming fresh off of injury that year. He'll be just fine.

chazoe60
07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
okay I will change my view and agree with the majority on this board in saying he is among the best in the league and it was Tebow's fault that he looked horrible for the last two seasons. I didnt think Tebow was our regular QB two seasons ago, but I will forget about that to make it easier to agree with this excuse.

BUT... what if he signs for big money and cant block for a QB that doesnt move and gets rid of the ball as quick as any QB ever has? Is it then Manning's fault that Clady couldn't get the job done?

No, Tebow wasn't our regular starter two years ago, it was the fainting goat Kyle Orton who is even worse at making OLs look bad. One guy(Tebow) was unpredictable and raw the other guy(Orton) was just a ***** who would fall when looked at funny. When we had a competent QB(Cutler) Clady was all world. A combination of his injury and two QBs who were very hard to block for have made Clady slip some but I think we'll all realize what we have in him after this season.

TXBRONC
07-19-2012, 02:39 PM

When you have two different starting quarterbacks that share a similar problem of holding onto the ball way to long it can make any offensive lineman look ordinary.

TXBRONC
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Orton and Tebow had a similar problem they both had a tendency to hold onto the ball to long. That doesn't mean doesn't make mistakes like every other player in the League. Holding penalties were nut buster but I would still say that in pass protection he was very good given who he was trying to protect.

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
No, Tebow wasn't our regular starter two years ago, it was the fainting goat Kyle Orton who is even worse at making OLs look bad. One guy(Tebow) was unpredictable and raw the other guy(Orton) was just a ***** who would fall when looked at funny. When we had a competent QB(Cutler) Clady was all world. A combination of his injury and two QBs who were very hard to block for have made Clady slip some but I think we'll all realize what we have in him after this season.

The dude lead the league in holding calls. He had more holding calls against him than the BEars LT when he was blocking for Orton in Chicago. I don't know, maybe that Bears LT is jsut better than Clady, but that is scary stuff. The Bears oline haws been miserable the entire decade.

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
When you have two different starting quarterbacks that share a similar problem of holding onto the ball way to long it can make any offensive lineman look ordinary.

So was he the only LT to block for 2 QB's? Or was he just worse at adjusting than other LT's? What about the LT's that blocked for 3 or more QB's? Why didn't they lead the league?

Ryan Clady led the leage in holding penatlies trying to block for QB's on a team that ran the ball more than any other team in the NFL.

Maybe it was McGahee's fault?

Mike
07-19-2012, 03:05 PM
The dude lead the league in holding calls. He had more holding calls against him than the BEars LT when he was blocking for Orton in Chicago. I don't know, maybe that Bears LT is jsut better than Clady, but that is scary stuff. The Bears oline haws been miserable the entire decade.

I think that Tebow's style of play played a very large role in the holding calls. That doesn't concern me. Since his injury he seems to be slower and just not right...that does concern me. I expect to see him to come back and that Manning will help him. But his play over the last 2 years does not justify top 10 pay.

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 03:14 PM
If Tebow and Orton were the problem, why did Clady lead the league in holding and not one of other linemen? It's not like he was protecting huge pass rushers with Denver running the ball and Tebow having an opposite blindside.

MOtorboat
07-19-2012, 03:19 PM
If Tebow and Orton were the problem, why did Clady lead the league in holding and not one of other linemen? It's not like he was protecting huge pass rushers with Denver running the ball and Tebow having an opposite blindside.

Defenses were still lining their best pass rusher up against Clady.

silkamilkamonico
07-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Defenses were still lining their best pass rusher up against Clady.

Yes, and mostly to stop the run. Clady was run blocking 56% of the time. Denver linemen were run blocking more often than any other set of linemen in the NFL. They were pass blocking less than any other set of linemen in the NFL.

Clady's sacks given up last year must be some kind of record for sack per pass play ratio, if were going to blame it on the QB's, which is just making excuses for Clady.

MOtorboat
07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, and mostly to stop the run. Clady was run blocking 56% of the time. Denver linemen were run blocking more often than any other set of linemen in the NFL. They were pass blocking less than any other set of linemen in the NFL.

Clady's sacks given up last year must be some kind of record for sack per pass play ratio, if were going to blame it on the QB's, which is just making excuses for Clady.

Looking past you contradicting yourself...

I don't think Clady's sacks given up is as damning a stat as many probably believe, and not because of who the quarterback was. Indirectly, yes, its on Tebow, but lets think about a few things for a moment. If teams blitzed right at Tebow to confuse him, something we know people did, then they would come at him not on his blindside, but rather from Clady's side. And simply coming from that side results in Clady getting a sack recorded on his "record" which is an unofficial stat as it is. Secondly, if they are running a lot of misdirection and zone reads, where defenders are reacting one way and going back to the other, it's likely that holding calls would go up. That's only anecdotal, but it makes logical sense to me.

Clady is the best offensive lineman in the team, followed by Chris Kuper and then Orlando Franklin.

Clady is a stout LT who should remain this team's left tackle in the future and Denver would be dumb to let him go. They need to pay him "franchise" left tackle money. He's worth it.

The problem along the offensive line is at LG and C.

NightTerror218
07-19-2012, 04:19 PM
He was comming fresh off of injury that year. He'll be just fine.

you know that for a fact? IMO he has not proven to be a top LT in the league. He is very solid ATM.

weazel
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM

So the last two years it was Orton and Tebows fault... except Orton was the QB the year before that and according to everyone here, Clady was all world... Your arguement is going in circles.

I didnt say he shouldnt be paid, I said he isn't an elite LT at the present moment and shouldnt be paid like one until he plays to that level.

turftoad
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
you know that for a fact? IMO he has not proven to be a top LT in the league. He is very solid ATM.

When healthy and playing in a pro style offense he has been an All Pro and a Pro Bowler. Do I know he'll be fine for a fact. I guess not. However, I think he's healthy and playing in a pro style offense again so I'm optomistic to say the least.

NightTerror218
07-19-2012, 05:25 PM
When healthy and playing in a pro style offense he has been an All Pro and a Pro Bowler. Do I know he'll be fine for a fact. I guess not. However, I think he's healthy and playing in a pro style offense again so I'm optomistic to say the least.

I think he is good and a solid starter, however since being injured I do not think he is 100% the same and do not think he should be given top 10 LT pay. I think they should wait till mid season and see how he is doing and if he is back to form then talk about top 10 pay.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
So holding calls are how we gauge a LT's ability? That's some low hanging fruit right there, at least pass ratings take more than one thing into consideration. A passer rating will tell you that Alex Smith and Matt Ryan are better QB's than Ben R-berger.

I'd like to see the rankings for holding calls, I'm thinking there might be several LT's ahead of Clady that couldn't carry his jock.......

chazoe60
07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
So the last two years it was Orton and Tebows fault... except Orton was the QB the year before that and according to everyone here, Clady was all world... Your arguement is going in circles.

I didnt say he shouldnt be paid, I said he isn't an elite LT at the present moment and shouldnt be paid like one until he plays to that level.

I said he was all world with Cutler not Orton. Try to keep up.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Scouts Inc and PFW rank Clady 4th best in the league, Lindy's ranks him 6th. I think that's pretty accurate.......