PDA

View Full Version : Terrific Article on QB Mobility, Courtesy MHR

topscribe
07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Just how effective is the mobile QB? Well, that depends on what is "mobility" and
how the QB uses that mobility. This article brilliantly discusses the concept:

Tales of Mythology III
by broncobear on Jul 10, 2009 10:30 AM MST in Strictly My Opinion

http://www.milehighreport.com/

Myth #3: Mobility and the Quarterback

"He makes plays with his feet!"

That's something that you frequently hear from color announcers on football games when trying to explain the value of a quarterback. They're talking about the guy who can move the pocket, who can gain you yards out of the pocket, who loves the bootleg and the roll out. There's not a thing wrong with that - in Elway Country, there had better not be if you want to avoid being spammed, flamed, tarred and feathered (in no particular order). But the quarterback who really makes plays with his feet isn't necessarily the guy who leaves the pocket.

As always, it's best to define terms. This is not an argument against a QB who can roll out, bootleg, play action and throw across his body and even across the field. That requires a big arm and a natural skill that you will only rarely see; you have to love those guys. John Elway was the king of them; Jay Cutler can do it at times. That kind of skill is a huge boon if it's used right. There is a common debate as to whether the oft-heard idea that a college QB's ability to run with the football is really going to "re-define the QB position."

You will also hear this while listening to endless pre-draft and post-draft discussions: "He makes plays with his feet. That’s what sets him aside from other quarterbacks." How often have you heard this? You used to hear it with Daunte Culpepper and Donovan McNabb. Michael Vick was another one of the supposed ‘new movement’ in quarterbacks (he came closest, before losing control of his life, and might achieve this yet, but he's a surprisingly patient pocket quarterback). Vince Young was a third. There were/are many. The running ability of these quarterbacks was going to redefine the position. What happened?

Per the agreement with MHR, the remainder of the article can be read here (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/7/10/928169/tales-of-mythology-iii).

-----

NameUsedBefore
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
"Redefine the position" is simply another overstatement. You can't, though, underestimate the mobility of quarterbacks like McNabb, Cutler, Culpepper, etc. or Cunningham, Elway, Young, Tarkenton, etc.

I think people got too excited over Vick, but reasonably so considering he was single-handedly defeating teams with his feet.

I'd say a QB's mobility is still something that is gameplanned for which makes it a strength in my book.

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
good article hope some to the bashes read it and think about it a bit..

Unless Josh was just there for both Brady and Cassell and someone else did all the teaching I suspect we will have a more efficient QB this year..

Most likely not all the yards but a higher scoring team.. afterall if you can't score you can't win..

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 05:53 PM
"Redefine the position" is simply another overstatement. You can't, though, underestimate the mobility of quarterbacks like McNabb, Cutler, Culpepper, etc. or Cunningham, Elway, Young, Tarkenton, etc.

I think people got too excited over Vick, but reasonably so considering he was single-handedly defeating teams with his feet.

I'd say a QB's mobility is still something that is gameplanned for which makes it a strength in my book.

yep but they have to game plan for QB that is making 80% of his throws also.. converting 75% or more of his third downs..

I have never cared for going deep I'd rather KISS with controlling the ball and LOS.. if the other team does not touch the ball you D does not have to be GREAT..

gobroncsnv
07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I'm ok with stretching the D on occasion. You can't live by the bomb, but the threat and occasional use of it keeps the D from crowding the line with safeties. Plus, it sells tickets.

SoCalImport
07-13-2009, 08:32 AM
One thing that I've seen a QB like Manning do with his feet is actually adjust the angle that a passrusher is taking to help a blocker out when he's being beaten to one side or the other.
It's not mentioned specifically in the article (which is a first rate read btw).

eg: DE has gained the upper hand and has "taken" the OTs outside shoulder. The QB steps either way to place the Blockers body back between himself and the passrusher.

It takes an amazing awareness on the part of the QB to make an adjustment like this, but that's what the great pocket passers do.

Nature Boy
07-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I heard Jay Cutler was a good mobile QB. Wasn't he?

frenchfan
07-14-2009, 01:02 AM
One thing that I've seen a QB like Manning do with his feet is actually adjust the angle that a passrusher is taking to help a blocker out when he's being beaten to one side or the other.
It's not mentioned specifically in the article (which is a first rate read btw).

eg: DE has gained the upper hand and has "taken" the OTs outside shoulder. The QB steps either way to place the Blockers body back between himself and the passrusher.

It takes an amazing awareness on the part of the QB to make an adjustment like this, but that's what the great pocket passers do.Outstanding article... Very very interesting...

I've always loved the way Manning and Brady move within the pocket... I said that in some posts BTW...

And yeah Socal... They know how to buy extra time with their feet... They don't escape, they dodge... Just like bullfighter... Little but efficient moves...

I'm not a big fan of "mobile" QB... Elway is the exception...
IMO it's easier to find "pocket" QB and to teach them the art of footwork than to find a mobile QB ala Elway...

Thanks for the post Tops :salute: