PDA

View Full Version : Ayers impressing in Denver, could be starter

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
No.1 pick Ayers impressing in Denver, could be starterRobert Ayers(notes), the No.1 selection of the Denver Broncos, appears to be on the fast track to becoming a starter according to Pro Football Weekly.

According to the report, Ayers, the 18th overall pick in the draft, picked things up quickly during offseason activities and received a good deal of reps with the first-team defense. It's certain he'll start at one of the front-seven spots on defense from Day One, but exactly where is something the Broncos still have to figure out.

Pro Football Weekly reported Ayers was mostly lining up at outside linebacker in the team's 3-4 set but he could be moved to defensive end, and most likely will rush with his hand on the ground on passing downs.

The Broncos could re-evaluate the best place to put Ayers depending on what they see from other front-seven players. The coaching staff has established a level of trust in Ayers, and it badly needs him to make an instant impact when the regular season starts, according to the report.

Source: Pro Football Weekly
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/No-1-pick-Ayers-impressing-in-Denver-could-be-s?urn=nfl,175068

Dirk
07-10-2009, 05:51 AM
That's a somewhat comforting piece. Quite a few "experts" said Ayers was the best defensive athelete coming out...but just didn't want to place him there for fear of the "one year wonder" tag being true.

Let's hope that he becomes everything the Broncos need and more!

NOTE: No I don't mean playing every position on the defense...LOL (figured I would note that before one of you funny people said something):D

CoachChaz
07-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I find it interesting that everyone out there sees Ayers as a starter and even so far as the best defensive rookie...except the Bronco fans themselves.

SoCalImport
07-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I (like anyone else that's watched film) am convinced that Ayers will make an impact against the run. He's hard to move and can shed blockers like they're not even there.
If the kid can bring a passrush, then I'm sure we got exactly what was needed in the first round.
And Moreno ta'boot.

LRtagger
07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I find it interesting that everyone out there sees Ayers as a starter and even so far as the best defensive rookie...except the Bronco fans themselves.

Thats because they all wanted us to draft Rey with the #12 pick :lol:

Dirk
07-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I think same thing.

Father say: A dish of carrot hastily cooked may still has soil uncleaned off the vegetable.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

dogfish
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM

i dunno, coach. . . seems to me like the majority of people around here were happy with the ayers selection and have high hopes for him. . . you know how much i've hacked mcdaniels, and i liked that pick a lot. . . .

SR
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
I think same thing.

Father say: A dish of carrot hastily cooked may still has soil uncleaned off the vegetable.

I find it ironic that you can spell words like hastily, uncleaned, and vegetable without fault, but your grammar sucks ass.

Dirk
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I find it ironic that you can spell words like hastily, uncleaned, and vegetable without fault, but your grammar sucks ass.

:tsk:

I think it's great! Keep the quotes coming Sushi! :D

Asian Sushi 7
07-10-2009, 09:21 AM

I no care what you think. you spend $60 on a tshirt.

CoachChaz
07-10-2009, 11:09 AM
i dunno, coach. . . seems to me like the majority of people around here were happy with the ayers selection and have high hopes for him. . . you know how much i've hacked mcdaniels, and i liked that pick a lot. . . .

I'm not saying EVERYONE, but there is/was a VERY large share of people that hated the pick and shit all over Ayers ability to play in a 3-4

underrated29
07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I (like anyone else that's watched film) am convinced that Ayers will make an impact against the run. He's hard to move and can shed blockers like they're not even there.
If the kid can bring a passrush, then I'm sure we got exactly what was needed in the first round.
And Moreno ta'boot.

I like what you said. I am the exact opposite.....IN a good way that is.

From all the film i watched of him, the dude can strait up rush the passer. All i ever saw him do was dominate; and at the combine and senior bowl and stuff he ripped apart all the top prospects at LT,RT,C etc. He bullrushed, spin, speed- he needs to work on his moves and get more polished. But he owned.

As for stopping run, i did not see any film on that, but i will take your word for it.

TXBRONC
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Same here. I had no problem with McDaniels picking Ayers and I hope he'll develop into Felicia Rivers worst nightmare.

WARHORSE
07-10-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJYQ99Ufe4&feature=PlayList&p=30FD6524D922ED0A&index=4&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

Some nice tape on Ayers.

I liked the pick and thought we would take him at 12 if Jackson and Raji werent there.

This guy is like Jared Allen: Non stop motor, relentless, good hands and did I say relentless?

Watching him bowl over and through the top Oline draft prospects in the senior bowl was impressive.

Mike Mayock said he believes Ayers, when all is said and done, will be in his opinion the best defensive player out of this draft.

I really like Ayers attitude and ability.:coffee:

TXBRONC
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJYQ99Ufe4&feature=PlayList&p=30FD6524D922ED0A&index=4&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

Some nice tape on Ayers.

I liked the pick and thought we would take him at 12 if Jackson and Raji werent there.

This guy is like Jared Allen: Non stop motor, relentless, good hands and did I say relentless?

Watching him bowl over and through the top Oline draft prospects in the senior bowl was impressive.

Mike Mayock said he believes Ayers, when all is said and done, will be in his opinion the best defensive player out of this draft.

I really like Ayers attitude and ability.:coffee:

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do on the field.

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 01:15 PM

I think it has to do with we have more or less been snakebit on DL and DE's in particular for like almost ever.. the last good DE drafted was price in the last millennium..

coupled with the green nature of our FO and the loss of the Goodman's that everyone thought walked on water..

So it is more of a wait and see attitude than anything else..

Superchop 7
07-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Most of us wanted Ayers-Moreno in the first.

(But nobody knew Orakpo would slide and it could have been Orakpo-Ayers instead)

Rey would have been a nice selection where we "instead" picked up the midget cornerback.

Good to hear Ayers is doing well.

dogfish
07-10-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying EVERYONE, but there is/was a VERY large share of people that hated the pick and shit all over Ayers ability to play in a 3-4

tough shit for them then, i guess. . . .

:elefant:

The Glue Factory
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
NOTE: No I don't mean playing every position on the defense...LOL (figured I would note that before one of you funny people said something):D

Actually that would be every position on defense minus 1. Champ has his position covered. :whistle:

T.K.O.
07-11-2009, 01:07 PM

i'ma thinkin i mighta changa my name to "italian spaghetti 69"
whata yous guys athinka ?

silkamilkamonico
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm all for the love on Ayers, but how can a player possibly be interchangeable at both DE and OLB in the 3-4 position? Both positions require different skill sets.

Timmy!
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm all for the love on Ayers, but how can a player possibly be interchangeable at both DE and OLB in the 3-4 position? Both positions require different skill sets.

Simon Fletcher pulled it off. Ayers is bigger, but I'm hoping he's a modern day Fletcher.

dogfish
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM

some guys just have versatility. . . see adalius thomas for example-- he played a number of different positions in baltimore's hybrid fronts. . .

i'm just guessing here, but i think most likely ayers will eventually settle into the OLB role, dropping down to rush the passer with his hand in the dirt in the nickel and dime packages when we go to a 4-man line, whether inside or outside. . .

G_Money
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I want Ayers to be Simon Fletcher very badly.

But when we drafted him, I didn't like it because I'd spent a couple of years watching him waste his talent in Tennessee being a stuck-up prig about doing things his way (and failing). The only time he got it right was when there was money on the line for the draft.

His attitude reminded me of Gerard Warren, who had the talent to be a great one but was a miserably lazy SOB unless it was a contract year.

And no, I didn't think he could play DE for us in a 3-4 so he'd have to play OLB. So I'm one of the "see how wrong you are about Ayers" people Coach is referring to.

We'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to being shown how wrong I am by future HOFer Robert Ayers in this and every season until his tearful career-ending performance and number-retiring ceremony.

He's a Bronco now and I'd much rather be wrong - wouldn't be the first time.

~G