PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with starting a bar league

GEM
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
So we are down to just one bar and I am in Charge of all things football this year. I want to have a few different things going on league wise. I am going to have a customer pick em challenge. We will have weekly game brackets with scoring winners. And the big thing I want is a fantasy football league. Any of you commish's out there have any pointers for me? I want to know the best site for a large group of people that allows for auto-ranking. I am thinking we will have about 40 active players with some that may not be totally active.

Also, anything at a bar that you have really liked for football? I want to be top dog in our market when it comes to football. Specials, liquor, beer and food. What would entice you to come out to watch a game? What prizes would entice you to be active in a bar football league?

Thanks in advance. :D

NightTerror218
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
where is your bar??

underrated29
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
My Big money league, ($500) - we always have a draft party at a bar...Which ever bar hooks us up with best drink and food specials and some time for us to have our own space (3-4hours) we go too. We also have an after the year party there as well and present the trophy. Places that will give a little deal to us will get us there and we love it because it is so much fun. Since I don't drink beer I like a place I can get a cheap rum and coke or mixed drinks. And remember football food. Most of the time IMO, football food is wings, nachos, burgers and pizza...with mozzarella sticks and such as appetizers. So to me it would be wise to create a football type menu...sure some people will want to order a chicken breast or pasta dish or whatever....But really, a special football menu with drinks and you should have them every time. If that sounds like something you guys would do.

I know this one bar in NY gets everyones email and once a month sends out an email to a random person (or calls them) and tells them they get 2 free drinks and 50% off for their buddies all night long.

GEM
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
where is your bar??

Santa Fe & Evans

GEM
07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
My Big money league, ($500) - we always have a draft party at a bar...Which ever bar hooks us up with best drink and food specials and some time for us to have our own space (3-4hours) we go too. We also have an after the year party there as well and present the trophy. Places that will give a little deal to us will get us there and we love it because it is so much fun. Since I don't drink beer I like a place I can get a cheap rum and coke or mixed drinks. And remember football food. Most of the time IMO, football food is wings, nachos, burgers and pizza...with mozzarella sticks and such as appetizers. So to me it would be wise to create a football type menu...sure some people will want to order a chicken breast or pasta dish or whatever....But really, a special football menu with drinks and you should have them every time. If that sounds like something you guys would do.

I know this one bar in NY gets everyones email and once a month sends out an email to a random person (or calls them) and tells them they get 2 free drinks and 50% off for their buddies all night long.

The girl I work with went to school in NY. She was on that mailing list for the 4 years she was there, she never won. Then when she moved back, her name has been called 3 times since. :laugh:

Our menu is pretty limited too football foods. Burgers, a killer triple decker BLT, burritos and appetizers, so that is a good fit. I currently have a neighborhood business happy hour where if they set it up, the employees get BOGO on first round and 1/2 price apps. I am all in on good discounts if I can get volume in the bar.

slim
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Free hand jobs for eveyone!

dogfish
07-25-2012, 02:31 AM
you can't have a league with 40-- people lose interest in leagues over twelve. . . you can form smaller leagues and have them compete head-to-head with the concept from the official forum league. . . best way to do it. . . and people that aren't active are a problem in FF. . .

i think fleaflicker is the best site. . . a lot of people like yahoo, if only because everybody is familiar with it. . . i absolutely would not use nfl.com or espn. . .

Tned
07-25-2012, 06:52 AM
I think the only way you can run a league with 40 people or so in it, is to go with a league where you don't draft in a traditional way. Meaning, everyone can have Brady or Adrian Peterson if they want. In those leagues, you usually have something like a salary cap of some kind, and you fill your team however you want, but players aren't exclusively drafted.

MOtorboat
07-25-2012, 07:56 AM
The Denver Post used to have a thing where you picked a QB, two RBs, two WRs, a TE and a K (maybe a defense). Each player had a value set for him, and you couldn't go over a total value for your team. This was when I was a kid, and I think they had thousands playing.

Or you could do some sort of pick'em league, too. (or both)

MileHighCrew
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I play in a hockey leave with about 50 people. You pick players on a week to week basis and everyone can pick the same players. Best totals win. Then you have to break down match up's ect. Would work great for football. Do you want Brady against a tough D or Stafford against the Rams? Is Manning going to break out this week or does Alex Smith come out of nowhere.

BroncoNut
07-25-2012, 08:51 AM
topless