PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Catching up with the best

Lonestar
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald Jr., the finest wideouts of the past and present, drew NFL stars to Minnesota.

By CHIP SCOGGINS and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers
Larry Fitzgerald Jr. knew he wanted to bring some of the NFL's top talent to the Twin Cities this summer to workout, share ideas and talk shop about their craft.

He took his idea a step further by inviting the greatest wide receiver in NFL history to join him. Jerry Rice didn't need much convincing, even though he didn't really know Fitzgerald, the Arizona Cardinals Pro Bowl wide receiver and former Holy Angels star who is widely regarded as one of the top wide receivers in the NFL today.

"I had heard great things about Larry," said Rice, the future Hall of Famer who set a host of receiving records with the San Francisco 49ers. "We've never really had an opportunity to spend time together. But you can tell he just loves the game and he works at it."

Fitzgerald hopes to make the Twin Cities a popular destination for NFL players looking to stay in shape with intensive workouts prior to the start of training camp. Fitzgerald, Rice and a group of players that included wide receivers Brandon Marshall (Denver Broncos), Greg Jennings (Green Bay Packers) and Michael Clayton (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) worked out at the Gophers practice facility Wednesday.

Others who took part included Arizona Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle, Steelers tight end and former Gopher Matt Spaeth, St. Louis Rams rookie linebacker James Laurinaitis and Cardinals tight end Dominique Byrd.

The word is starting to spread among NFL players, too. Quarterbacks Tony Romo of Dallas and Joe Flacco of Baltimore are expected to arrive for workouts next week. Buffalo Bills wide receiver Lee Evans and former Vikings receiver Cris Carter also are planning to visit.

Fitzgerald, who works out of Velocity Sports Performance in Champlin, said he wants to create a must-stop destination for players who are looking to gain an edge in offseason training.

"We're the young guns, the young guys that are just coming up and making plays," he said. "I think this is a good group."

Rice was a main draw, of course. Rice's offseason regimen as a player was legendary, and at age 46, he still appears to be in remarkable shape. Rice participated in all the conditioning drills and worked on route running with the other receivers, offering tips and insight.

"Fitz called and told me the GOAT [Greatest Of All Time] was going to be here," Jennings said. "Anytime you get an opportunity to work with a legend like that, you've got to take advantage of it. That was my main focus, trying to get here, to sponge off some of his knowledge that he can feed to us."

Marshall already is a Pro Bowl wide receiver, but he said he also jumped at the opportunity to work with Fitzgerald, whom he knows only casually.

"He is what I want to be, he's what a lot of guys in the NFL want to be as far as wide receivers and even guys at other positions," Marshall said. "When you get an opportunity to pick the brain of probably the best receiver in the game right now, you would be a fool not to take advantage of it. This is probably one of the best things I've done since I've been in the league."

Marshall said he was sold after talking with Fitzgerald about their offseason schedules at the Super Bowl. Marshall told Fitzgerald that he usually likes to scale back in July to regroup before training camp.

"Larry said that July is the most crucial time of the year," Marshall said. "That made a lot of sense to me. It's probably going to change my career and the way I go about working for the rest of my career. It's something I had to change. This is definitely where guys separate themselves."

Fitzgerald said the value goes beyond the work they do in the weight room or on the field. He, Jennings and Clayton stayed up until 11 p.m. Tuesday talking about route running and watching game tapes.

"I can take things from their game and try to implement it in my game as well," Fitzgerald said.

Rice said he can see why Fitzgerald's peers want to come to Minnesota during their downtime before training camp to work out with him.

"The way he conducts himself, these younger players can look and see how a pro does it," Rice said. "I've been here for three days and I'm so impressed with the regimen. Larry works his butt off and you see why he has success during the season because he pays the price during the offseason."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/50316872.html?page=2&c=y

wonder if his hip is healed and ready to go NOW..

MOtorboat
07-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Won't go to minicamp, and threatens to hold out, but he will go to the ******* training with Larry Fitzgerald.

Dude is a cancer.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-09-2009, 10:16 PM
This is probably one of the best things I've done since I've been in the league."

We all know it hasn't been the worst...

Lonestar
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Won't go to minicamp, and threatens to hold out, but he will go to the ******* training with Larry Fitzgerald.

Dude is a cancer.

he is prepping for his NEW team.. can't be bothered to show up for his current team even though he was in town for it..

I beleive your correct see my SIG for details..

Shazam!
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Good friggin' riddance. Sick of his shit and players thinking they're bigger than the team.

Marshall- 3 must-win games for the playoffs and a division title, 0 TDs.

Peerless
07-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Million dollar athlete

10 cent head

tumbana
07-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Million dollar athlete

10 cent head

PEERLESS! Whattup mang. Long time no see.

dogfish
07-09-2009, 11:46 PM

Dude is a cancer.

meh. . . athletes hold out all the time, big flippin' deal. . . do i like it? no. . . but it's not the end of the world-- more like a major part of the business. . . in an ideal scenario it would never happen, but with millions of dollars on the line there are holdouts around the league every year. . . i guess i just don't see the point of taking it personally and getting all pissed at the player. . . yea, his timing really sucks, and clearly it would be a lot better if he was here, but it's not like this is an unusual situation in the NFL. . .

myself, i'm a LOT happier to hear that he's at least doing something constructive with his time and putting in work to improve his game, rather than sitting on his ass-- if he's not going to be here, better to be doing something football-related than chillin' on the couch putting down cheeseburgers (especially with his history with fast food wrappers). . . IMO the most likely scenario is still that he caves when the fines start piling up, and ends up playing for us this year. . . and if that's the case, i don't mind a bit if he can pick the brains of jerry rice and larry fitzgerald while he stages his little token protest about his salary. . .

LordTrychon
07-09-2009, 11:58 PM
meh. . . athletes hold out all the time, big flippin' deal. . . do i like it? no. . . but it's not the end of the world-- more like a major part of the business. . . in an ideal scenario it would never happen, but with millions of dollars on the line there are holdouts around the league every year. . . i guess i just don't see the point of taking it personally and getting all pissed at the player. . . yea, his timing really sucks, and clearly it would be a lot better if he was here, but it's not like this is an unusual situation in the NFL. . .

myself, i'm a LOT happier to hear that he's at least doing something constructive with his time and putting in work to improve his game, rather than sitting on his ass-- if he's not going to be here, better to be doing something football-related than chillin' on the couch putting down cheeseburgers (especially with his history with fast food wrappers). . . IMO the most likely scenario is still that he caves when the fines start piling up, and ends up playing for us this year. . . and if that's the case, i don't mind a bit if he can pick the brains of jerry rice and larry fitzgerald while he stages his little token protest about his salary. . .

What Dog means to say is... Screw him!

Northman
07-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Nah, Dog has a point. At least the dipshit is working out. But, i think he truly expects to be traded which i dont see happening. And once his fines start to pile up and he starts losing salary than he will wise up or he just might be working at Burger King or asking Tatum for a job until the following year. lol

LordTrychon
07-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Nah, Dog has a point. At least the dipshit is working out. But, i think he truly expects to be traded which i dont see happening. And once his fines start to pile up and he starts losing salary than he will wise up or he just might be working at Burger King or asking Tatum for a job until the following year. lol

Oh, I know. I completely agree with Dogfish. I just thought it was funny that he was the only one to say it so far.

The fanaticism goes a bit far sometimes, I think. Another thread a while back was mentioning that he should learn from our classy players like Rod and Casey... regardless of the fact that Casey said he was going to retire if he didn't get a raise. That's the old man's version of a hold out. lol.

It happens.

I may eventually hate Marshall... but I'm just nowhere as quick to it as some others, I guess.

WARHORSE
07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
This means his hip is gonna be fine imo.

Im glad hes working out.

As far as him holding out, hes gonna make a big mistake if he does.

He better get in here and learn the offense or his numbers next year WILL drop.

Not showing up would be a big mistake on his part.

Whether he likes it or not.

Tned
07-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Thread title fixed.

Italianmobstr7
07-10-2009, 02:24 AM

Dude is a cancer.

Good friggin' riddance. Sick of his shit and players thinking they're bigger than the team.

Marshall- 3 must-win games for the playoffs and a division title, 0 TDs.

You win and lose as a TEAM. Brandon is not a cancer. He wants to be paid like he deserves to be paid. It sucks that he's holding out, but at least he's working out SOMEWHERE. He'll be back in blue and orange this year and if our FO is smart, for years to come too.

I agree with you completely Dog. Great post!

Dirk
07-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Good to see him working out at least.

But I am so sick of all the hold outs...or threats of them.

God gifted BMarsh with a talent that not many people ever get and he is abusing it IMO. I can understand him getting paid for what he is worth, but do it the right way. I'm sure that if it was all about the money, he has been given an offer. It could be, let's see how you do after your surgery and see how the hand is doing first and we will reward you, or an offer less than what he believes he should get. Again, due to his off field antics and physical problems (whether he is 100% or not).

Wow, to have the money to tell your boss you are going to sit at home if he doesn't pay you more or go somewhere else (and know another place will hire you) must be nice. Total arrogance IMO and I am sick of these atheletes at times.

I still think BMarsh will be playing for the Broncos in 2009...but I could be wrong.

SoCalImport
07-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I don't think B.Marsh will be holding out for long. Just a feeling I get.

When the Broncos manage to win a couple of games without his services, He'll start feeling like the forgotten man.

LRtagger
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM
The fanaticism goes a bit far sometimes, I think. Another thread a while back was mentioning that he should learn from our classy players like Rod and Casey... regardless of the fact that Casey said he was going to retire if he didn't get a raise. That's the old man's version of a hold out. lol.

It happens.

The difference is, Casey is a reliable player...he has something like 150 or whatever straight starts. That is unheard of for an offensive lineman.

And in the midst of his contract disputes, he still showed up for all OTA's and camps. He did not miss a single meeting (actually I think he missed one day of practice for a death in the family or something). His dedication was rewarded with a new contract that he is happy with. Casey knew that if his contract did get resolved, he would need these practices to learn the new offense and be a better player FOR THE TEAM this year.

Marshall most certainly could learn a lot from Casey.

Orange7
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
You win and lose as a TEAM. Brandon is not a cancer. He wants to be paid like he deserves to be paid. It sucks that he's holding out, but at least he's working out SOMEWHERE. He'll be back in blue and orange this year and if our FO is smart, for years to come too.

I can understand Brandon Marshall wanting to get paid. It is a buisness after all, and the career of a Football player is very short...his career could be ended by any hit.

But holdouts might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in this situation. What does it actually accomplish? If you want a new contract, you would surely want to please the FO not get on their nerves.

Traveler
07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I can understand Brandon Marshall wanting to get paid. It is a buisness after all, and the career of a Football player is very short...his career could be ended by any hit.

But holdouts might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in this situation. What does it actually accomplish? If you want a new contract, you would surely want to please the FO not get on their nerves.

+1

It really worked out well for the last guy who did that here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ashley Lelie is still looking for work.

Orange7
07-10-2009, 09:50 AM
+1

It really worked out well for the last guy who did that here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ashley Lelie is still looking for work.

He plays for the Raiders, which pretty much sums it all up.

Traveler
07-10-2009, 10:25 AM
He plays for the Raiders, which pretty much sums it all up.

They let him go. He's unsigned at present.

Orange7
07-10-2009, 11:04 AM
They let him go. He's unsigned at present.

Not being good enough for the Raiders, even worse :D.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't get the criticisms here. The guy is working to be a BETTER Wr. He's trying to take his game to the next level and work out with the best in the NFL, and some are complaining about this???? Really???

Some are trying to say he's immature and screwy... this, to me, shows the exact opposite. Shows me he's maturing. He's working in WR camps with the best in the NFL to improve his game. The ONLY way this is a bad thing, is if our coach trades him away and he uses these skills for another team.

Holding out is a BUSINESS part of the game, folks. Remember when you were defending McDaniels for picking up the phone??? Its a business??? Nothing different here.

For some reason...if the coach trades you away or sits you down, its a business. When a player holds out or wants to be traded, he's unloyal and a jerk.

Orange7
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Holding out is a BUSINESS part of the game, folks. Remember when you were defending McDaniels for picking up the phone??? Its a business??? Nothing different here.

If you want to get a raise at your place of work, do you:

A) Work harder, and try and impress your boss

or

B) Say you aren't coming into work untill you get your raise.

?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't get the criticisms here. The guy is working to be a BETTER Wr. He's trying to take his game to the next level and work out with the best in the NFL, and some are complaining about this???? Really???

Some are trying to say he's immature and screwy... this, to me, shows the exact opposite. Shows me he's maturing. He's working in WR camps with the best in the NFL to improve his game. The ONLY way this is a bad thing, is if our coach trades him away and he uses these skills for another team.

For some reason...if the coach trades you away or sits you down, its a business. When a player holds out or wants to be traded, he's unloyal and a jerk.

That is great that he is working to be a better wide receiver, just as those other wide receivers are doing; however, that is something he is doing on his own.

In the meantime, he has lost considerable time - i.e. - not learning a new offense - not being around many new coaches and teammates, because he did not want to accept what Bowlen said to him - show up on the field, stay out of trouble off the field, and you will get your new contract next year.

underrated29
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow you guys are rough.....

What is your ultimate sceanrio (haters) for things to play out?

1. Is it, marshall ends his hold out, comes back, participates in TC, etc and starts the season, with a new contract, or guaranteed an even bigger contract next year.

or

2. We trade Marshall, probably get less value than his worth and have gaffney and chad jackson as our 2nd and 3rd wr?

I am guessing the first option.....

Wouldnt you want your star WR- to be working out in the offseason, and staying in shape, trying to get that extra edge, let alone learning from the best WR in the game now, and the best WR to ever play the game.

He could be sitting on his arse right now, not lifting weights, just bumming out. Yet he is out there getting his body and game in shape and you guys still rip on him and call him a cancer.

I am guessing all of you have either been cheated on or only ever had 1 girl friend or wife- because you all take rejection to the extreme.

Brandon is rejecting us, i am now going to hate him, and take anything i can find and turn it, twist it, whatever i can, because of the things he did to me or my team.

I think we all know He is not going to sit out the whole season. Or anything else. Eventually, all the WR cave- chad J, boldin, TO- they all said they would hold out, until traded. They never got traded and then they played.

Brainwashed i tell ya. Brainwashed.

Half of the broncos nation is Brainwashed.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM

1. Is it, marshall ends his hold out, comes back, participates in TC, etc and starts the season, with a new contract, or guaranteed an even bigger contract next year.

or

2. We trade Marshall, probably get less value than his worth and have gaffney and chad jackson as our 2nd and 3rd wr?

Wouldnt you want your star WR- to be working out in the offseason, and staying in shape, trying to get that extra edge, let alone learning from the best WR in the game now, and the best WR to ever play the game.

He could be sitting on his arse right now, not lifting weights, just bumming out. Yet he is out there getting his body and game in shape and you guys still rip on him and call him a cancer.

I am guessing all of you have either been cheated on or only ever had 1 girl friend or wife- because you all take rejection to the extreme.

Brandon is rejecting us, i am now going to hate him, and take anything i can find and turn it, twist it, whatever i can, because of the things he did to me or my team.

I think we all know He is not going to sit out the whole season. Or anything else. Eventually, all the WR cave- chad J, boldin, TO- they all said they would hold out, until traded. They never got traded and then they played.

I don't believe anyone is upset because Brandon is working out. I do not know of any, or at least many football players who do not work out in the off season. That has nothing to do with the fact that he has not showed up for anything his current team - the Broncos - wanted him to show up for. Two totally separate issues.

MOtorboat
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM

or

3. Have him be at minicamp (already missed), go to training camp like a good player, honor his contract, don't pout, and when its proven that your innocent and that you won't get banned, and that you can stay out of trouble thus ensuring that you can stay on the field, you'll be rewarded at the end the season with a nice big contract or even a franchise tag (still awesome money).

underrated29
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
3. Have him be at minicamp (already missed), go to training camp like a good player, honor his contract, don't pout, and when its proven that your innocent and that you won't get banned, and that you can stay out of trouble thus ensuring that you can stay on the field, you'll be rewarded at the end the season with a nice big contract or even a franchise tag (still awesome money).

That was my ideal scenario too, but that good are never true. Especially when its a team that i root for.

MOtorboat
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
That was my ideal scenario too, but that good are never true. Especially when its a team that i root for.

If you trade him, you have to trade him before the trial. If you pay him, you have to pay him after the trial.

I don't know what he doesn't get about that. He has to prove to Denver that he will be on the field for 16 games (barring injury). I just think, in the ban-happy atmosphere that Roger Goodell has created, that a team can't go paying someone if he might not be on the field for more than eight games.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
If you trade him, you have to trade him before the trial. If you pay him, you have to pay him after the trial.

I don't know what he doesn't get about that. He has to prove to Denver that he will be on the field for 16 games (barring injury). I just think, in the ban-happy atmosphere that Roger Goodell has created, that a team can't go paying someone if he might not be on the field for more than eight games.

This is what I am not understanding about Brandon. He has major off field problems hanging over his head. You would think that he would be doing everything the Broncos ask of him - just like the rest of his teammates are, rather than bringing more negative attention to himself.

T.K.O.
07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
well on the bright side he did say some smart things,wanting to improve etc...
if nothing else it could raise his trade value showing he is working out and is serious about trying to become an elite reciever.
maybe he could stay in town and hook up with favre,we could take....oh say.....A.P. !:salute:

underrated29
07-10-2009, 12:27 PM
well on the bright side he did say some smart things,wanting to improve etc...
if nothing else it could raise his trade value showing he is working out and is serious about trying to become an elite reciever.
maybe he could stay in town and hook up with favre,we could take....oh say.....A.P. !:salute:

No way- we got moreno now baby! I love AP and he is badass- but Knowshon will be a beast in our system.

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
You win and lose as a TEAM. Brandon is not a cancer. He wants to be paid like he THINKS he deserves to be paid. It sucks that he's holding out, but at least he's working out SOMEWHERE. He'll be back in blue and orange this year and if our FO is smart, for years to come too.

I agree with you completely Dog. Great post!

edited for accuracy..

Superchop 7
07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I hope they didn't take a check from Brandon.

Dirk
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM

No thanks. AP is ok...but a bit overrated IMO.

I will take my chances with Moreno.

dogfish
07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
+1

and when lelie can match what brandon does on the field, this will be a valid comparison. . . :listen:

raise your hands, everyone who thinks it would take marshall more than a week to find a new job if we cut him tomorrow (i only say a week instead of a few hours because he'd need a few days to sort through all the offers). . .

What Dog means to say is... Screw him!

pretty much-- thanks for summing it up for me, trych. . . .

funny how that works, isn't it?

You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.

Sincerely,

Mick Jagger

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
and when lelie can match what brandon does on the field, this will be a valid comparison. . . :listen:

raise your hands, everyone who thinks it would take marshall more than a week to find a new job if we cut him tomorrow (i only say a week instead of a few hours because he'd need a few days to sort through all the offers). . .

pretty much-- thanks for summing it up for me, trych. . . .

funny how that works, isn't it?

You can't always get what you want. But if you try, sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.

Sincerely,

Mick Jagger

as for him getting offers so did ashley got real good offer from ATL where he bombed.. then SFO and now OAK..

he was a one trick pony lots of speed NO YAC..

brandon is similar to him in the manner that he went to HNL and played in the pro bowl and neither did much in the games.. all that came out of it was their egos inflated to the point they did not want to play in Podunk and for the money they were getting..

I think he is a stupid immature kid getting bad advise from his agent who is looking for a big score.. but then why would we believe that agents have what is best for him as the #1 priority before money in his pocket..

I believe that unless we get a huge deal for him he will be a bronco for along time.. as he is hoping to fill an inside royal flush with one card yet to be dealt.. and we are setting already with 4 kings ace high..

dogfish
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
If you want to get a raise at your place of work, do you:

A) Work harder, and try and impress your boss

or

B) Say you aren't coming into work untill you get your raise.

?

no offense, but are you a professional athlete with extremely rare physical ability? because if you're not, this comparison really isn't valid either-- it's a vastly different situation. . . . i think that along with comments like this:

Wow, to have the money to tell your boss you are going to sit at home if he doesn't pay you more or go somewhere else (and know another place will hire you) must be nice. Total arrogance IMO and I am sick of these atheletes at times.

that are made all the time, really helps to illustrate just why people get so angry about holdouts. . . it's resentment of the money that these guys make. . . which is understandable (i can't lie, it does kinda piss me off too from time to time), but in the end, what's the point? at least they're putting in honest work, instead of going bernie madoff on society. . . any one of us would jump at the chance to be in their position and make that kind of loot, and i'm sure every one of us already does whatever we can to maximize our earnings. . . the american dream, baby! so why shouldn't they do the same thing?

if he plays this year on his current contract and ruins his knee, nobody's going to replace those lost millions in wages (unless he's insured, but that in itself ain't cheap), and he's going to have permanently trashed his body for a relatively low price. . . the difference between what he's making now and what he wants (and frankly, what is a "fair" price for his services, by league standards) is enormous-- it's the difference between being rich for a minute, and set for life, and i myself can't find that much fault with a guy for aggressively pursuing the latter. . . who wouldn't do the same in his place? people can say "not me" all they want, but i don't believe that anyone can really, honestly say it until they've been in that situation themselves. . .

now admittedly, i think his timing sucks, and that he's not going to get what he wants right now. . . he's in a tough spot between his health problems and the current state of the CBA, and he's pretty much screwed himself with his off-field antics. . . i absolutely think the right thing for denver to do is to consider moving him IF someone wants to pay what we think he's worth, and otherwise play this like most holdouts, wait him out, and in the meantime calmly go about our business and don't make a big deal out of it. . . he'll probably miss a few days of camp as a token resistance, and then report when the fines start piling up. . .

once again, i just don't see why some people get bent out of shape about these things (not necessarily referring to the posters quoted above, just a general comment). . . it's just as much a part of the game as teams cutting older or ineffective players, guys getting hurt, high picks busting, and everything else that goes along with it. . . anyone who thought he was going to put up back to back pro bowl caliber seasons and continue to play on a 4th round contract wasn't paying attention-- the NFL don't work that way. . .

honz
07-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Marshall will be a Bronco come opening day. Book it.

LordTrychon
07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
The difference is, Casey is a reliable player...he has something like 150 or whatever straight starts. That is unheard of for an offensive lineman.

And in the midst of his contract disputes, he still showed up for all OTA's and camps. He did not miss a single meeting (actually I think he missed one day of practice for a death in the family or something). His dedication was rewarded with a new contract that he is happy with. Casey knew that if his contract did get resolved, he would need these practices to learn the new offense and be a better player FOR THE TEAM this year.

Marshall most certainly could learn a lot from Casey.

Yes, Marshall could learn a lot from Casey. There were posters actually saying that 'Brandon shouldn't hold out! He should be more like good guys like Casey!'

While Casey truly is a class player...

He said... 'Pay me more... or I ain't showing up!' (paraphrased, likely). It's no different than what Marshall did.

Marshall was due an extension and was about to get one before his last non-incident. They were negotiating, and then stopped. I'd likely be frustrated too. *shrug*.

slim
07-10-2009, 11:40 PM
No way- we got moreno now baby! I love AP and he is badass- but Knowshon will be a beast in our system.

:shocked:

What AP are you talking about?

dogfish
07-10-2009, 11:45 PM
:shocked:

What AP are you talking about?

seriously. . . . :lol:

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, Marshall could learn a lot from Casey. There were posters actually saying that 'Brandon shouldn't hold out! He should be more like good guys like Casey!'

He said... 'Pay me more... or I ain't showing up!' (paraphrased, likely). It's no different than what Marshall did.

Marshall was due an extension and was about to get one before his last non-incident. They were negotiating, and then stopped. I'd likely be frustrated too. *shrug*.

but the issue was Casey knew he had a lot to learn in the new offense and attended every workout except one for a death in the family and negotiated while learning the offense and building even more inter-player relationships as well as the other new coaches..

so YES he did ask for more money the right way..

topscribe
07-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Actually, Wiegmann, who showed up for every practice, mandatory and
voluntary, said he needed more or he would retire. Big difference . . . :)

-----

LordTrychon
07-10-2009, 11:53 PM

-----

Do you think he would have shown up for training camp, if he retired?

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 11:53 PM

-----:salute:

glad you agree with me on this..

Lonestar
07-10-2009, 11:55 PM

would you have faulted him if he did retire?

the difference is Casey has paid his dues and BM well, I'm not so sure he is close to retiring..

dogfish

-----

very big difference-- i don't think they would have taken marshall seriously if he threatened to retire. . . . :lol:

topscribe

Do you expect to see Elway there?

very big difference-- i don't think they would have taken marshall seriously if he threatened to retire. . . . :lol:

True. But Casey meant it. He's earned his stripes . . .

-----

LordTrychon
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
would you have faulted him if he did retire?

the difference is Casey has paid his dues and BM well, I'm not so sure he is close to retiring..

No, I wouldn't have faulted him.

He was going to hold out for more money though... hence the phrase 'hold - out'.

Marshall played on a bad hip for a season and did ok for us. Do you think he's paid no dues at all? Remember that he is at the point in his career where we've made a habit of re-signing our players. When we think they've 'paid their dues'.

Yeah, probably not.

Do you expect to see Elway there?

True. But Casey meant it. He's earned his stripes . . .

-----

No, but it would be cool if Elway was there. However, I don't think he was under contract.

I don't think the Baltimore Colts expected to see him in their camp when he held out though.

I didn't hold it against him either.

That's the thing... no, I wouldn't have held it against Casey... no, I don't blame Elway... and I'm not sure why that's an argument against me... I don't hold it against Marshall either.

Lonestar
07-11-2009, 12:21 AM
No, I wouldn't have faulted him.

He was going to hold out for more money though... hence the phrase 'hold - out'.

Marshall played on a bad hip for a season and did ok for us. Do you think he's paid no dues at all? Remember that he is at the point in his career where we've made a habit of re-signing our players. When we think they've 'paid their dues'.

Yeah, probably not.

No, but it would be cool if Elway was there. However, I don't think he was under contract.

I don't think the Baltimore Colts expected to see him in their camp when he held out though.

I didn't hold it against him either.

That's the thing... no, I wouldn't have held it against Casey... no, I don't blame Elway... and I'm not sure why that's an argument against me... I don't hold it against Marshall either.

I read nothing about Casey holding out made statement of fact if he did not get another contract he would have to consider retiring..

has marshall paid his dues I guess we will have to agree to disagree..

I do not see the hip thing as big a deal as he was trying to make it..

He should be mad at mike and not Josh for making him play IF he was hurt..

however I suspect knowing that making the pro bowl was worth an addition 600 grand this coming year just might have had something to do with him playing hurt.. I noticed he played in the pro bowl and nothing was ever said about the hip till he got paid.. frankly I thought he sucked in the game myself.. looked like a JHS player looked lost all day on the field..

caught one pass 20 yards from Manning that he looked good in but but after that Nada caught 5 more passes for about 25 yards he was thrown to 6-7 more times incomplete.. IIRC he looked like he was running bad routes..

Sorry but if mike promised him and jay bigger contract during the season after the year was over.. well that went into the toilet when e got fired.. something that BM or jay should not hold against Josh.. Not saying they did but the likely hood that mike was whispering in their ears is real high..

NO .... I do not hate the guy just think he needs to mature between the ears before we give him a huge BONUS for signing and make sure the hand and hip are solid.. we all know what happened with Rod after his surgery..

topscribe
07-11-2009, 12:22 AM

The point I was making was that Wiegmann's comments amounted to, "I've
been in the league for many years. I'm just getting too old for this unless you
make it worth my while." Casey had not only come out of a Pro Bowl year, but
he had behaved himself and had no injury issues. If he re-signed, there would
be no doubt he would be available in the first game of the season.

All those factors are entirely the opposite of Marshall's. While I don't hold it
against Marshall, either, I do think he is being very unwise in the way he's
going about it. I think my reaction would be, "Okay, so you want to wait a
year? This year, I will work my ass off, and keep my mouth shut and hands
to myself--except when receiving passes--then I will go into restrictive free
agency, and you will have to pay me top dollar to keep me because others
certainly will."

The way he is doing it now is not enhancing his value to anybody . . .

-----

LordTrychon
07-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I read nothing about Casey holding out made statement of fact if he did not get another contract he would have to consider retiring..

has marshall paid his dues I guess we will have to agree to disagree..

I do not see the hip thing as big a deal as he was trying to make it..

He should be mad at mike and not Josh for making him play IF he was hurt..

however I suspect knowing that making the pro bowl was worth an addition 600 grand this coming year just might have had something to do with him playing hurt.. I noticed he played in the pro bowl and nothing was ever said about the hip till he got paid.. frankly I thought he sucked in the game myself.. looked like a JHS player looked lost all day on the field..

caught one pass 20 yards from Manning that he looked good in but but after that Nada caught 5 more passes for about 25 yards he was thrown to 6-7 more times incomplete.. IIRC he looked like he was running bad routes..

Sorry but if mike promised him and jay bigger contract during the season after the year was over.. well that went into the toilet when e got fired.. something that BM or jay should not hold against Josh.. Not saying they did but the likely hood that mike was whispering in their ears is real high..

NO .... I do not hate the guy just think he needs to mature between the ears before we give him a huge BONUS for signing and make sure the hand and hip are solid.. we all know what happened with Rod after his surgery..

Well, I would rather reward players that earn their way onto the Pro Bowl Roster, rather than pick apart how they play in that game.

The organization was renegotiating with Marshall after Mikey left and after McD was hired. Has nothing to do with Mikey.

The point I was making was that Wiegmann's comments amounted to, "I've
been in the league for many years. I'm just getting too old for this unless you
make it worth my while." Casey had not only come out of a Pro Bowl year, but
he had behaved himself and had no injury issues. If he re-signed, there would
be no doubt he would be available in the first game of the season.

All those factors are entirely the opposite of Marshall's. While I don't hold it
against Marshall, either, I do think he is being very unwise in the way he's
going about it. I think my reaction would be, "Okay, so you want to wait a
year? This year, I will work my ass off, and keep my mouth shut and hands
to myself--except when receiving passes--then I will go into restrictive free
agency, and you will have to pay me top dollar to keep me because others
certainly will."

The way he is doing it now is not enhancing his value to anybody . . .

-----

I wish Marshall wasn't doing this either... and I wish he wouldn't... but it is what it is, and there is plenty of fans who are holding it against him.

Marshall has been a Bronco longer than Weigmann and has paid more dues to THIS organization... and he's at the point in his career where any other player would be renegotiated. I don't think it's unfair for him to ask for the same.

topscribe
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
I wish Marshall wasn't doing this either... and I wish he wouldn't... but it is what it is, and there is plenty of fans who are holding it against him.

Marshall has been a Bronco longer than Weigmann and has paid more dues to THIS organization... and he's at the point in his career where any other player would be renegotiated. I don't think it's unfair for him to ask for the same.

I don't know what is fair and what isn't. But I still think what Marshall is doing is
not wise at all.

But Wiegmann's case is still apples and oranges. Wiegmann had all but decided
to retire, and the Broncos paid what they had to, to get him to reconsider. Yes,
his Pro Bowl year did make him feel he was worth more, but the bottom line is,
I don't think he feels he needs football anymore. He just said it would take
something more to keep him playing football. He's 35 years old, for pity's sake.
I really think he had mixed emotions as to whether he wanted to keep playing.

-----

LordTrychon
07-11-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't know what is fair and what isn't. But I still think what Marshall is doing is
not wise at all.

But Wiegmann's case is still apples and oranges. Wiegmann had all but decided
to retire, and the Broncos paid what they had to, to get him to reconsider. Yes,
his Pro Bowl year did make him feel he was worth more, but the bottom line is,
I don't think he feels he needs football anymore. He just said it would take
something more to keep him playing football. He's 35 years old, for pity's sake.
I really think he had mixed emotions as to whether he wanted to keep playing.

-----

Well, I don't know about wise, but I believe that Marshall has earned a raise and he doesn't have many other courses available to pursue one.

Wiegmann's case is a little apple/orange, but my original comment was more to do with the fact that I found it humorous that people were claiming Marshall should be more like Wiegmann in how he handles things, when Wiegmann used a similar avenue to pursue the same thing. Yeah, the situation was different though.

Though to be fair, if Wiegmann was contemplating retirement, he could have mentioned it at the start of FA or at least before the draft... rather than after taking starting reps during OTAs... but that's another issue. I'm not upset with him, certainly.

topscribe
07-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Well, I don't know about wise, but I believe that Marshall has earned a raise and he doesn't have many other courses available to pursue one.

Sure, he does, LT. Just as I mentioned: Work his ass off and stay out of trouble.
Show them one solid year without being mentioned in conjunction with the law.
I'll bet the proverbial dollar to a donut that the Broncos would then pay the
crap out of him next year . . .

Though to be fair, if Wiegmann was contemplating retirement, he could have mentioned it at the start of FA or at least before the draft... rather than after taking starting reps during OTAs... but that's another issue. I'm not upset with him, certainly.

Actually, I thought it was pretty classy and responsible of Casey to do that
while negotiations were going on. He knew it was a new system and he had
to keep up if he were to continue. But then, that was just my impression.

Well, that about does it. With this, I'll say good night. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

LordTrychon
07-11-2009, 01:17 AM
Sure, he does, LT. Just as I mentioned: Work his ass off and stay out of trouble.
Show them one solid year without being mentioned in conjunction with the law.
I'll bet the proverbial dollar to a donut that the Broncos would then pay the
crap out of him next year . . .

Well, but he deserves a raise now, like the organization has always pursued at this point in a player's career.

Actually, I thought it was pretty classy and responsible of Casey to do that
while negotiations were going on. He knew it was a new system and he had
to keep up if he were to continue. But then, that was just my impression.

Well, that about does it. With this, I'll say good night. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

I don't think negotiations were going on until after a few OTAs... at which point he gave his ultimatum. He made the decision to seek a raise after already taking reps and keeping us from pursuing other options via draft or FA.

Oh well... Goodnight, Top!

Lonestar
07-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Well, I would rather reward players that earn their way onto the Pro Bowl Roster, rather than pick apart how they play in that game.

The organization was renegotiating with Marshall after Mikey left and after McD was hired. Has nothing to do with Mikey.

They were in talks and then of curse bozo slaps around his fiancé.. End of talks, until he cleans up his act. then his hips becomes an issue..

It is always something from him..

he will be here until 2012 unless they sign a CBA.. OR they get a stupendous offer for him..

LordTrychon
07-11-2009, 04:59 AM
They were in talks and then of curse bozo slaps around his fiancé.. End of talks, until he cleans up his act. then his hips becomes an issue..

It is always something from him..

he will be here until 2012 unless they sign a CBA.. OR they get a stupendous offer for him..

:laugh:

I hope you mean the former, and not the latter...

The charges were dropped for the former, and it wasn't enough for the NFL to bother with, and we all know how ban happy they are these days...

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 06:48 AM
:laugh:

I hope you mean the former, and not the latter...

The charges were dropped for the former, and it wasn't enough for the NFL to bother with, and we all know how ban happy they are these days...

They didn't drop the battery charges against the former girlfriend, so...Marshall still is about to get suspended.

Italianmobstr7
07-11-2009, 09:25 AM
They didn't drop the battery charges against the former girlfriend, so...Marshall still is about to get suspended.

Marshall probably will not be suspended.

topscribe
07-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I think you may be right. That is an old charge, one of which Goodell had to be originally aware.

But you never know . . .

-----

frauschieze
07-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I think you may be right. That is an old charge, one of which Goodell had to be originally aware.

But you never know . . .

-----

If I've got the timeline all figured out right, the outstanding court issue is the same one that Marshall was suspended 3 games for last year (2 of which were reduced because he did anger management counseling). That suspension was for the police involvement. I can easily see Goodell imposing an additional suspension if Marshall is found guilty but I can't see it if he is found not guilty.

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 04:48 PM

But you never know . . .

-----

If I've got the timeline all figured out right, the outstanding court issue is the same one that Marshall was suspended 3 games for last year (2 of which were reduced because he did anger management counseling). That suspension was for the police involvement. I can easily see Goodell imposing an additional suspension if Marshall is found guilty but I can't see it if he is found not guilty.

The outcome of the case will determine his eligibility. The NFL said this a month ago...I don't really feel like digging it up for the eighth time.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/06/02/brandon-marshall-avoids-suspension/

“The NFL has confirmed that based on their own investigation there will not be a suspension or any discipline issues as a result of Mr. Marshall’s arrest on March 1,” said Marshall’s attorney Harvey Steinberg. “I had been in touch with the NFL since right after the incident occurred and we were under the belief that what took place would not rise to the level of any form of discipline.”

Marshall is still facing a court case later this month in Atlanta stemming from misdemeanor battery charges against his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley. That case, however, is expected to be continued to a later date, which means onceMarshall recovers from offseason hip surgery, he can concentrate on the 2009 season.

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I think I'll believe the NFL spokesman

"The discipline he received last year (one-game suspension without pay plus an additional fine of one game check) did not include the resolution of the March '08 incident, which is pending," league spokesman Greg Aiello told The AP.

"The pending case will be subject to review when appropriate," Aiello said. "The notification he received from our office (Tuesday) applied only to the March 1 incident of this year."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a5f89&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12503183

Providing he's healthy, Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall will be able to play the entire 2009 season.

Marshall was notified by letter Tuesday that he was not found in violation of the league's personal conduct policy due to his arrest on disorderly conduct charges March 1 following a disturbance with his fiancée, Michi Nogami, who also was charged.

The charges against Marshall and Nogami were dropped the next day.

"The NFL has confirmed that based on their own investigation there will not be a suspension or any discipline issues as a result of Mr. Marshall's arrest on March 1," said Marshall's attorney Harvey Steinberg. "I had been in touch with the NFL since right after the incident occurred and we were under the belief that what took place would not rise to the level of any form of discipline."

Marshall is still facing a court case later this month in Atlanta stemming from misdemeanor battery charges against his former girlfriend, Rasheedah Watley. That case, however, is expected to be continued to a later date, which means once Marshall recovers from offseason hip surgery, he can concentrate on the 2009 season.

Marshall left the Broncos' offseason minicamp last week to rehab in Orlando.

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
"The discipline he received last year (one-game suspension without pay plus an additional fine of one game check) did not include the resolution of the March '08 incident, which is pending," league spokesman Greg Aiello told The AP.

"The pending case will be subject to review when appropriate," Aiello said. "The notification he received from our office (Tuesday) applied only to the March 1 incident of this year."

:noidea:

The NFL.com story was posted two days AFTER the Denver Post and whatever blog decided that they knew what was going on.

Like it or not, Marshall is still facing a possible suspension, per the league office.

Lonestar
07-11-2009, 05:19 PM
:noidea:

The NFL.com story was posted two days AFTER the Denver Post and whatever blog decided that they knew what was going on.

Like it or not, Marshall is still facing a possible suspension, per the league office.

yes that is how I see it also..

he could get fined to suspended.. I suspect the later IF he pleads out or is found guilty and I also suspect it will be much harsher that the 1 week he got last time..

which was speculated to be at 8 weeks and then they announced 3 weeks, which IIRC was reduced to 2 weeks and one suspended IF he went to anger management cases which seemed to have failed him in the 01 march incident..

all after pleadings from mike.. and friends

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 05:26 PM
yes that is how I see it also..

It's really not about how we see it, it's what the NFL has said. That's what they said, and that's what Marshall faces.

The initial story came out about him not facing punishment from the Atlanta incident, and it needed to be clarified that he still could face punishment from the court case. Thus the two versions of the story from the AP.

LordTrychon
07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Not arguing that Marshall doesn't still face those charges.

That has nothing to do with the incident that seemed to stop the negotiations with Marshall though.

If we give him $8 Mill a year, and he misses half the year, we only pay him $4 Mil.

If we have the cap space, what is it? That we're afraid we need the room to add a real DT? Gonna make a few more splashes in FA now?

Lonestar
07-12-2009, 11:32 AM

That has nothing to do with the incident that seemed to stop the negotiations with Marshall though.

If we give him $8 Mill a year, and he misses half the year, we only pay him $4 Mil.

If we have the cap space, what is it? That we're afraid we need the room to add a real DT? Gonna make a few more splashes in FA now?

but if he is only here have the year he is taking up a roster spot that we could use.. I'm not so sure that the money does not go to NFL charities or something.. which mean it comes off the CAP.. not only that but any signing bonus is wasted also..

Northman
07-12-2009, 11:51 AM

On the flipside whats the rush? Brandon has no leverage and everything regarding the off the field issues are by his own doing. Why does Denver need to do anything right now? Why cant they just wait until after the trial to make a decision? Are you afraid we might hurt his feelings and he may try and force a trade? Oh wait, we are already at that point arent we? So why rush to make a player happy who may still face a suspension and hasnt shown the ability to make smart decisions even now? Brandon is already unhappy so at this point there's no need to do anything except wait.

The Broncos dont owe him anything contrary to some people's belief. Brandon had trouble before he was even drafted and Denver took a chance on him in hopes that he would learn from his mistakes. Sure, the guy is a baller but you cant just rely on that anymore like you could in the past. And we know Brandon's agent isnt going to let Brandon sign anything unless it has guaranteed money attached to it. If im Brandon's agent i sure as hell dont let him sign anything because ive seen what can happen with a team like Dallas and Owens. And if im Denver i dont sign him either because i can see the same situation and know that it could be a waste of money.

But unfortuantely for Brandon he isnt in a position like Terrell Owens because he doesnt have the freedom to shop around UNLESS a team is willing to give up the ghost to get him. So far, no team has offered Denver anything of real worth or he would already be gone. Which only tells me that other teams understand the risk with Brandon as much as Denver does. Cutler didnt have to worry about that because he doesnt have those off the field issues and his market value is much higher. So why it is that some fans think that Denver should rush out and sign Brandon is a head scratcher for me. There is no rush as it will cost Denver NOTHING to let him sit. People will say, well we need him to win. Well, we dont know that. Patriots did just fine without a standout receiver for years. Are we on the same scale as them? No, but we do have a coach who understands the concept behind it.

And since most fans and the media think we are going to tank this season anyway having Marshall there or not will make no difference at this point. As i pointed a few weeks ago. We dont even know if Denver has already offered Brandon a new contract. And my guess is if they did it had some sort of stipulations on it but wisely (on Marshall's agents part) he would of declined it. Personally, its a dumb move from the perspective that Brandon hasnt proven that he can stay clear of trouble off the field. He may not be facing charges of battery from his current fiance but the fact that it was YET another incident involving a domestic issue only tells me and most likely the Bronco organization that Brandon still has things to work on.

And you just cant reward a player for stuff like that regardless of what he does on the field. The Cowboys have learned the hard way that it just doesnt work.

MOtorboat
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM

It's never about salary. It's about signing bonus, and right now, he doesn't deserve one.

LordTrychon
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
On the flipside whats the rush?

Fair argument... at this point, there obviously isn't a rush... and I don't blame them for not extending him when he got upset... but I felt they should have when they first started negotiating with him and those charges got dropped.

It's never about salary. It's about signing bonus, and right now, he doesn't deserve one.

Fair enough too.

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:15 PM

He's under contract, rav. And has an entirely new system to learn, teammates to meet, and most importantly, a new QB to catch from.

I'd think even you would agree that this is NOT how to go about it, NOR the time to do it.

He should have been in DV rehabbing WITH the team....learning the playbook....sitting in on meetings.... watching practices, et al. Just by showing his determination and dedication would shine nicely on him, and I'm thinking, Bowlen.

Regardless, i don't believe they will do ANYTHING with him until after his day in court.

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM

or

Hmmmmmm.....

Brainwashed or Jocksniffer

We report....you decide. :D

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM

And lest we forget.....

....the TEAM is now susceptible to fines/lost draft picks, for their players' transgressions.

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:25 PM

It's AD, and KM is NOT in the same league. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM

:laugh::confused::rolleyes::lol:

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Show me a team without a Center with a full plethora of wr's....

...vs a team with a Center and a WR corp minus 1.

I'll take the latter.

dogfish
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Show me a team without a Center with a full plethora of wr's....

...vs a team with a Center and a WR corp minus 1.

I'll take the latter.

show me a team with both, and i'll take that over either previous option. . . .

rcsodak
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
show me a team with both, and i'll take that over either previous option. . . .

You SHUT YOUR MOUTH when you're talking to me.......!!!!!!

:D

dogfish
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM
lol. . . one of the best lines ever. . .