PDA

View Full Version : David Bruton expects to make an immediate impact on ST

Lonestar
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Smooth Landing

David Bruton expects to make an immediate impact for the Broncos this season on special teams. PHOTO: KYLE SONNEMAN, DENVERBRONCOS.COM

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- David Bruton had a feeling he was destined to be a Bronco.

"I had a hunch that I'd probably go to Denver after my trip out here and the difficulties we went through just to make sure I got here," he said.

On the day of his meet-and-greet with Broncos brass this spring, Bruton left his Miamisburg, Ohio home to make the 20-minute trip to Dayton International Airport. He had no idea he'd be reprising the role of Steve Martin in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

The former Notre Dame product missed a 6:20 a.m. flight out of the airport because of unforeseen traffic just before the break of dawn.

"I have no idea why there was traffic," Bruton said. "Maybe construction? I have never seen traffic at five o'clock in the morning."

With few flights to Denver scheduled for the rest of the day, Bruton made the 78-mile trek to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport for a soon after departing flight. But trouble struck again.

"I missed that one, too," Bruton said.

Eventually, the safety did arrive at Dove Valley and, despite the difficulties associated with his journey to team headquarters, he apparently made a strong impression on team management.

Earlier in the spring, Bruton could tell the club had interest in his skill set. During his senior campaign with the Irish, the 6-foot-2, 219-pounder posted a team-high four interceptions and, for his efforts, was named an honorable mention All-American by The NFL Draft Report. Soon after, defensive backs coach Ed Donatell flew to South Bend, Ind. to work him out in person at Notre Dame's training facility.

Still, Bruton, like his collegiate counterparts, waited to find out his professional fate at April's NFL Draft. Surrounded by family, friends and old high school coaches at a local restaurant in Miamisburg, Bruton watched as the Broncos nabbed him in the fourth round of the draft, with the 114th overall pick.

"It was just a very emotional day and a very important day," he said. "I had a lot of smiles. I was very excited."

After sharing draft day with family and friends, Bruton quickly realized he'd be sharing the field with former collegiate comrades. David Grimes, who was a co-captain with Bruton for Notre Dame last season, joined the Broncos as a college free agent on Apr. 27. Third-year pros Darius Walker and Ryan Harris, who acted as big brothers for Bruton during his underclassman years in South Bend, are also on the club's roster, and have helped ease his transition to the NFL.

"My college family is here," Bruton said. "It definitely helps (the transition) because you have people you are comfortable with, people you knew for four years -- not just people you heard of on TV. You actually knew these people; you actually went through the ringer with them."

So far, Bruton is looking to repay the Broncos for their belief in his game.

Through organized team activities, Bruton has displayed a strong work ethic. He was a mainstay at Dove Valley during minicamps and passing camps and was a fixture during voluntary workout sessions.

Bruton's showing himself to be a student of the game, too. During secondary meetings, he has been sitting next to seven-time Pro Bowler Brian Dawkins, picking the veteran's brain on how to read an offense and how to attack the quarterback.

"Less than two percent get to make it to this level and everybody has their own special talents," Bruton said. "Like they've said, they can find a different guy like you, so you've got just to keep putting in work, day in and day out."

This season, Bruton hopes to set himself apart from the pack by establishing himself as a key clog on all of the club's special teams units. With the Fighting Irish, he quickly built a reputation as one of the top special-teams gunners in the country. In total, he was a part of 596 special-teams plays during his collegiate career.

"It's something I've always taken pride in, especially early in my college career," Bruton said. "I did it in high school and have always excelled at it."

Bruton said he is willing to do anything and everything special teams coordinator Mike Priefer asks of him this season. The same goes for all of his coaches. After all, he is still looking for ways to reimburse the team for the extra frequent flyer miles he racked up on that pre-draft visit.

"Before the draft, my dad always used to joke, 'They invested a lot of money in you just trying to get you there for that one (pre-draft) day," Bruton said. "You'll probably go there. You owe them."'

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9139

Lonestar
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I did not realize we had 4 golden domers on the squad..

Looks like our team has shifted from DAFTING from the SEC, to players from Norte Dame..

MOtorboat
07-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Looks like our team has shifted from DAFTING from the SEC, to players from Norte Dame..

Well, we only drafted two of them...

BroncoWave
07-08-2009, 07:47 PM

How have we shifted from drafting from the SEC when both of our first rounders were from there?

MOtorboat
07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
BTW, if Denver moves away from drafting SEC players, they are idiots.

dogfish
07-08-2009, 08:52 PM

five, if you count chris baker. . . .

horsepig
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Nice fluff piece JR. Except it's not fluff at all. Maybe if BM had that same approach to his career he just might end up as HOF material.

Bruton's rook attitude reminds me of Jerry Rice's attitude throughout his career. A pretty solid role model.

Lonestar
07-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Nice fluff piece JR. Except it's not fluff at all. Maybe if BM had that same approach to his career he just might end up as HOF material.

Bruton's rook attitude reminds me of Jerry Rice's attitude throughout his career. A pretty solid role model.

please do not credit me with it I just pasted it in to the forum..

That is about the extent of my literary talents.. I like to read, but would starve as a writer..

rcsodak
07-11-2009, 02:42 AM

Now we're going to be God's Team! :beer:

rcsodak
07-11-2009, 02:47 AM
BTW, if Denver moves away from drafting SEC players, they are idiots.

Yeah.....

....cuz the team sure found a game winner/consummate teammate with that 1st round SEC QB. :coffee:

And that 1st round Dlineman.... :coffee:

SEC=ALL HYPE

tumbana
07-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah.....

....cuz the team sure found a game winner/consummate teammate with that 1st round SEC QB. :coffee:

And that 1st round Dlineman.... :coffee:

SEC=ALL HYPE

That 1st round SEC QB is a darn good one.

rcsodak
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM

Hmmmmm....is he?

I'd say that's yet to be decided.

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Troll douche.

dogfish
07-11-2009, 07:54 PM
*WHOOP*

Threadjack alert!!

what the hell does david bruton and his potential impact on our special teams possibly have to do with jay cutler?

MOtorboat
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
*WHOOP*

Threadjack alert!!

what the hell does david bruton and his potential impact on our special teams possibly have to do with jay cutler?

Um. Nothing.

CoC violation.

Action?

SM19
07-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I hope he's as good as advertised; God knows we need some impact special teamers.

Lonestar
07-12-2009, 02:07 AM
I hope he's as good as advertised; God knows we need any impact special teamers.

edited for accuracy