PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Poised to Perform

Lonestar
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
By Chris Gentilviso
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Go back to the little things and they'll translate into the big things.

That was the message Broncos receiving legend Rod Smith gave to the team's current corps of receivers at the close of a June passing camp session.

Reunited with Head Coach Josh McDaniels, Chad Jackson looks to make an impact for the Broncos this season

For Chad Jackson, one of those little things arrived last season.

His first catch with the Broncos came for 19 yards, in the first quarter of a resounding 34-17 win over the then-first place New York Jets. The reception put his team in the red zone, and led to a 10-point advantage.

"It's been a while since I've caught a pass, and it felt good to actually get the ball and run with it," Jackson said during passing camp.

It was his first catch since 2006. It was his only catch in 2008. But that reception set the tone for Jackson to shift his focus to bigger things in 2009.

Three weeks away from his first training camp with the Broncos, the four-year receiver has already formed his motto for what he'd like to accomplish.

"There's a lot of people out there that know what I can do," Jackson said. "I just haven't done it in a while. But once I get the ball this season, I can show everybody what I can do."

Jackson's comfort stems from the fluid feel he already has for Head Coach Josh McDaniels' offensive system.

With McDaniels as his coordinator in 2006, Jackson demonstrated his big-play capabilities. Three of his 13 catches during that rookie season were for touchdowns, and McDaniels' playbook is back in play to help him replicate those numbers.

"I know the offense already," Jackson said. "Knowing all the plays, that's kind of an advantage I have. So I'm thankful for that."

Along with that advantage, Jackson sports an awareness of the 11 other receivers getting their feet wet in the new system. He and new arrival Jabar Gaffney, who also previously played for McDaniels, are serving as models of how to grasp the nuances.

"Just different routes," receiver Eddie Royal said. "Hearing the different terminology. Just learning where to line up. We're having fun with it and getting better every day."

While Jackson is well in the mix at receiver, he is already a known commodity on special teams. The 6-foot-1 speedster tied a team record last season, netting 162 yards on eight kickoff returns.

If asked to complete the same role this season, he would oblige.

"I'll happily do it," Jackson said. "I have no problem doing it - whatever I can do to help the team."

In helping the team as best as he can, Jackson is concurrently helping himself reach professional heights he knows he's capable of.

"I feel like I have a chance right now," he said. "I know what I'm doing and I know I can go out there and compete with these guys and guys across the league."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9138

just FWIW Marshall did not get to here Rods advise..

Shazam!
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
just FWIW Marshall did not get to here Rods advise..

It's almost to the point good friggin' riddance.

After the last few years since 2006, I know not to buy current Broncos jerseys. Classic Elway, Smith, Atwater, TDs, and all future Broncos greats only.

Northman
07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
I dont know, i have a feeling we will be ok even if Marshall doesnt come back.

CoachChaz
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Eventually Jackson has to be good somewhere just so he can prove me right.

SoCalImport
07-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Wasn't He a bit of a workout warrior? I remember folks being high on him as possibly the best WR in a week draft at the position.
SO he's fast, and strong. Sounds like a sure fire future GOAT to me:)

Actually I'm thinking that McDaniels knows what he's doing bringing these guys in that know the system...just a guess.

nevcraw
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
another lovely offseason fluff piece.

stay tuned for next week: "Greek Readies for Season with New Shiny Tape Scissors".

BroncoNut
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
shucks. I thought this was another Michael Jackson thread and that the king of pop had ressurected.

GEM
07-08-2009, 01:59 PM
shucks. I thought this was another Michael Jackson thread and that the king of pop had ressurected.

He popped up out of the coffin in Thriller mode. ;)

BroncoNut
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
He popped up out of the coffin in Thriller mode. ;)

that would be awesome if that really happened.

Lonestar
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Wasn't He a bit of a workout warrior? I remember folks being high on him as possibly the best WR in a week draft at the position.
SO he's fast, and strong. Sounds like a sure fire future GOAT to me:)

Actually I'm thinking that McDaniels knows what he's doing bringing these guys in that know the system...just a guess.

I'm thinking Josh is smart as a fox.. he has enough folks on the team that can help bring the other kiddies along.. answer those questions in the huddle if someone say WTF is that call..

Right now if nothing else, he is insurance for BM taking a dump on the team .. which we all know would be beyond stupid but he has played that card 5 or 6 times already so it would not surprise me..

Why are all almost WRs stupid..

BroncoNut
07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking Josh is smart as a fox.. he has enough folks on the team that can help bring the other kiddies along.. answer those questions in the huddle if someone say WTF is that call..

Right now if nothing else, he is insurance for BM taking a dump on the team .. which we all know would be beyond stupid but he has played that card 5 or 6 times already so it would not surprise me..

Why are all almost WRs stupid..

he might very well be.

dogfish
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Eventually Jackson has to be good somewhere just so he can prove me right.

:hahaha:

lol. . . . man, back on the old mania board, people were UNBELIEVABLY hyped over jackson. . . i got scoffed at for saying santonio holmes would be the better pro. . . . almost makes me wanna go back over there and bump a few dusty old threads just to drop the ol' "i tolda ya so!"

:laugh:

CoachChaz
07-08-2009, 02:39 PM

lol. . . . man, back on the old mania board, people were UNBELIEVABLY hyped over jackson. . . i got scoffed at for saying santonio holmes would be the better pro. . . . almost makes me wanna go back over there and bump a few dusty old threads just to drop the ol' "i tolda ya so!"

You could undoubtedly find quite a few on the Freak that had me glorifying CJax and promotong Denver to draft him.

dogfish
07-08-2009, 02:59 PM
You could undoubtedly find quite a few on the Freak that had me glorifying CJax and promotong Denver to draft him.

people on mania were seriously losin' their minds-- i'd never seen that kind of hype for any other prospect. . .

naturally, i'd love to see jackson fulfill his potential here, and i do tend to think that he'll have as much chance here as he's ever going to-- doogie's system seemed very WR-friendly in NE. . . i think you have to call him a long shot to ever blow up at this point in his career, but there's no reason that he can't develop into a competent third, fouth or fifth receiver. . . he's probably worth keeping in that capacity just due to his physical ability and knowledge of the offensive scheme-- although, he'd really improve his chances if he could show something on special teams. . .

IF we keep marshall, the competition at WR is going to be pretty damn fierce. . . marshall, royal, stokley and gaffney would seem to have the top four spots locked up. . . and i would expect mckinley to be given every chance to earn a roster spot, as they seemed awfully high on him-- don't know how much he can be expected to contribute this year, though. . . with the spread doogie likes to run, i would think we'll keep six wideouts, so if mckinley does make the final cut that leaves everyone else fighting for one spot. . .

horsepig
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Remember that these guys are very young. A light might just pop on in his head that says, "Hey, quit frickin around and show these guy what you are really capable of.".

It has happened many times before. There are also one hell of a lot of football players selling used cars that were only one select play from maybe catching a coaches eye and becoming a great NFL player.

How the hell did Meck do it?

Lonestar
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Remember that these guys are very young. A light might just pop on in his head that says, "Hey, quit frickin around and show these guy what you are really capable of.".

It has happened many times before. There are also one hell of a lot of football players selling used cars that were only one select play from maybe catching a coaches eye and becoming a great NFL player.

How the hell did Meck do it?

same thing for TD until he made that stupendous tackle on ST IIRC in Japan.. he was about to be cut..

almost to a man on the sideline the players said WTH who was that..

that was the play that got him on the team, at least as a ST player.

A few weeks later mikey was praising him as a RB.. HE was not getting any reps before the tackle.. the thought was he was going to get cut why waste them on someone that is not going to be around..

Plus I suspect his confidence was not on the moon either.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Well then Marshall needs to get his ass hear so he can here Rod Smith's advice, somebody has got to sit him down and say: "Dude, your gonna have to get you're ass hear so you can here Rod Smith's advice! Ya here?".......

TXBRONC
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM

I remember you saying that. I also remember how Jackson was considered the best wide receiver in the draft yet he slipped into the second round if I recall correctly.

Jackson has a familiarity with the offensive system McDaniels is installing but that doesn't mean he's proficient with it. If that's the case he wont be of much help to any receiver who is new to the system.

OrangeHoof
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
This may be the only thread about a Jackson not related to Michael.

NameUsedBefore
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
How many receivers have been scrubs for their careers but turned it around in the final stretch?

horsepig
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
How many receivers have been scrubs for their careers but turned it around in the final stretch?

How about Eddie Mac & Steve Watson?

horsepig
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Jack Dolbin?

NameUsedBefore
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Chad Jackson had about a dozen catches and 150-yards to his name last season.

The dude is a walking injury.

dogfish
07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
how many receivers have been scrubs for their careers but turned it around in the final stretch?

TXBRONC
07-10-2009, 11:23 AM
How about Eddie Mac & Steve Watson?

There are always exceptions to the rule but that doesn't Jackson will be one.