PDA

View Full Version : Sakic to retire

Italianmobstr7
07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
DENVER -- Joe Sakic, the Colorado Avalanche's longtime captain who led the team to two Stanley Cup titles, will retire Thursday and end his 20-year NHL career, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because Sakic, a 13-time All-Star, will formally announce his decision Thursday in a news conference.

Sakic, who turned 40 on Tuesday, has been the face of the franchise since the team relocated to Denver from Quebec in 1995. He teamed with Patrick Roy, Peter Forsberg and Adam Foote to capture the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001.

It's been a storied career for Sakic, who's won championships and league MVP honors, and led Team Canada to an Olympic gold medal in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4311866

LordTrychon
07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
*sigh*

Thanks for everything, Joe.

Best Captain a team could wish for.

:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12769476

A standout 20-year career will come to an end

The news that Avalanche fans had hoped never to hear is nevertheless official: Joe Sakic has decided to retire from the Avalanche.

The Denver Post has confirmed that the Avalanche captain will retire Thursday at a 1 p.m. press conference at Inverness Hotel.

After a 20-season career that is sure to land him in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Sakic had mulled a 21st. Instead, he'll walk away as the Avalanche's all-time leading scorer with 625 goals and 1,641 points in 1,378 games — all with the same franchise.

Injuries started to catch up with Sakic last season, limiting him to only 15 games. He had surgery for a herniated disc and wasn't able to make it back for the final weekend of games last season, something he wanted to do.

He began his NHL journey in 1988, and has had a career that spanned five U.S. presidents. Wearing No. 88 his first season (1988-89) with Quebec, Sakic then adopted the No. 19 that became synonymous with him.

Sakic has won two Stanley Cups with Colorado in 1996 and 2001. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in '96, with six playoff game-winning goals, then an NHL record. He also captained a Canadian Olympic team that won a gold medal in 2002, taking tournament most valuable player honors.

Despite several enormous contracts, including one that temporarily made him the highest-paid player in the game, Sakic has always maintained a grounded, humble nature. He never had a whiff of controversy in his career, becoming a role model for many of the game's top young players.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
:salute: :salute:THANKS CAP'N JOE :salute: :salute:

One of the best hockey players ever

pnbronco
07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
This seemed fitting. I didn't think I would be this sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfeh9DtXE7Q

MasterShake
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Too bad he had to go out on a down season. Oh well, thanks for the Stanley Cups! You made me a hockey fan in 1997 and I will continue to cheer the Av's.

BroncoAV06
07-07-2009, 07:44 PM
We all knew it was coming but man when I saw the headline today I was sad.

Sakic was the Avalanche, one of the best performers in the game ever, brought pride to the city of Denver and all Avalanche fans around, he was our captin, and will always be remembered as the greatest Av ever!

MOtorboat
07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
My favorite memory of Joe:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2001/gallery/sakic-to-bourque.jpg

Classy. The man was nothing but the classiest guy in sports.

After they won, we were sitting around my buddies couch in Chadron, NE, and I was standing in front of the tv so no one could see, because I was crying (my buddy's gf noticed...and we laughed, we are Avs fans)...seriously, that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Joe wouldn't even really hoist it, he just gave it to Ray, and hell, Ray was only his teammate for like four months. That's just friggin class.

Broncospsycho77
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree with MB. That moment is the best memory I have of hockey. Joe knew it, and it takes a guy with an unmatched amount of class to do something like that at that very moment. Right to Borque. Beautiful.

Take it easy, Joe. You earned it.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12769476

The news that Avalanche fans had hoped never to hear is nevertheless official: Joe Sakic has decided to retire from the Avalanche.

The Denver Post has confirmed that the Avalanche captain will retire Thursday at a 1 p.m. news conference at the Inverness Hotel.

After a 20-season career that is sure to land him in the Hockey Hall of Fame, Sakic had mulled a 21st. Instead, he'll walk away as the Avalanche's all-time leading scorer with 625 goals and 1,641 points in 1,378 games — all with the same franchise.

"He'll go down as one of the best to ever play the game," Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky said.

Injuries started to catch up with Sakic last season, limiting him to only 15 games. He had surgery for a herniated disc and wasn't able to make it back for the final weekend of games last season, something he wanted to do.

He began his NHL journey in 1988, and has had a career that spanned five U.S. presidents. Wearing No. 88 his first season (1988-89) with Quebec, Sakic then adopted the No. 19 that became synonymous with him.

"For me, it was an honor and a priviledge to play with such a player and such a classy guy like Joe," said former Avs forward Ian Laperriere. "The game just lost one of the best ambassadors that ever hit the ice."

Sakic has won two Stanley Cups with Colorado in 1996 and 2001. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy in '96, with six playoff game-winning goals, then an NHL record. He also captained a Canadian Olympic team that won a gold medal in 2002, taking tournament most valuable player honors.

"The only player I kind of wanted to be a little like was Joe Sakic, kind of that clutch performer that everyone looked to and was able to score goals that win games and overall, the respect he has," said Anaheim Ducks star Ryan Getzlaf.

Despite several enormous contracts, including one that temporarily made him the highest-paid player in the game, Sakic has always maintained a grounded, humble nature. He never had a whiff of controversy in his career, becoming a role model for many of the game's top young players.

Sakic by the numbers

20 ... Seasons played for the Avalanche. No other active player has been with a team longer. Only four players have scored more points with one franchise: Gordie Howe (Detroit, 1,809), Steve Yzerman (Detroit, 1,755), and Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh, 1,723).

15 ... Was the Nordiques' second draft pick in 1987, 15th overall. The team selected defenseman Bryan Fogarty first at No. 9.

8 ... Ranks eighth all time in the NHL with 1,641 career points.

5 ... Seasons with at least 100 points. He is the Avalanche's all-time leader in nearly every offensive statistical category, including games played (1,378), goals (625), assists (1,016), points (1,641), power-play goals, short-handed goals and game-winning goals.

2 ... Stanley Cup championships.

Sakic's plaudits:
# Two-time Stanley Cup champion
# Conn Smythe Trophy (1996 playoff MVP)
# Hart Memorial Trophy (2001 season MVP)
# Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (2001 sportsmanship)
# 13-time NHL All-Star
# Three-time NHL First-team (2001-02, 2004)
# World Championships Gold medal (1994)
# Olympic Gold medal (2002)
# World Cup gold medal (2004)

To quote:

# Said Edmonton coach Pat Quinn, who won a gold medal as coach of Canada with Sakic in 2002:

"There's a book about 'Level5' leaders and all the great ones have skill and other things but the last level that makes them special is humility. Joe had that. He wanted to make other people feel better. He didn't want to be the guy with the crown on his head."

"In 2002, Joe, Steve Yzerman and Mario Lemieux were the real keys to bringing the team together. I remember I was searching for lines for a couple of games and nothing was happening. I decided to put Joe with Simon Gagne and Jarome Iginla. After practice, Joe came over to me and said 'thanks.' He said 'these kids are just awesome. Thanks.' That turned into our best line at the Olympics."

# Said Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock:

"His speed was intimidating. He would race from his blueline to the other one and set up shop. Not many players are like that, maybe Gretzky. You could feel a goal coming with Joe. He would get on the cycle or get open in the slot and as a coach you would be going 'Oh no!' He didn't miss the net."

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2009, 09:52 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/07/07/farewell-joe-2/

I’m going to re-post a blog I wrote April 9, about Joe Sakic. He will retire Thursday, The Post confirmed just now. I still mean what I wrote back then:

It takes a lot to get me to tear up or get my adam’s apple lodged deep in my throat (OK, OK, I did cry like a baby at the end of “Philadelphia” with Tom Hanks. It happens people!)

But normally I have that journalist’s mien in emotion-producing moments. I’m supposed to stay like a cyborg, is basically what you’re taught. No cheering in the press box, no favoritism to the people you cover, no emotion of any kind toward the story. The story is the story, not my emotions to it.

But, listen, I’m probably going to choke up a little at the Joe Sakic retirement press conference - one that I expect to happen at some point soon.

I predicted all through last summer that Sakic would play this year. And I’m predicting now that Sakic will retire after this, his 20th season. And, as I’ve said before, I do hope I’m wrong. But I don’t think I will be.

Anyway, the news tonight was that Captain, our Captain, can’t play this weekend. We had all sorts of fun scenarios for this weekend. Sakic would take to the ice in an otherwise meaningless game to a rousing, roaring 10-minute standing ovation. He would bow in return, salute the crowd and play the games against Vancouver and St. Louis.
Sakic would score the winning goal in the finale, then come out for one last twirl of the ice as the No. 1 star. An unforgettable last roar would engulf Sakic as he waved to the fans one last time, maybe a tear noticeable on a cheek. Then, he would skate off the ice forever, triumphant, basking in horns, hats and happiness tossed to him by fans.

None of that will happen, as Sakic said tonight he won’t be able to play this weekend.

Now, we’re left with the very real possibility that Sakic’s official goodbye will take place in front of cyborg journalists like me. Cameras will click, keyboards will clickety-clack and that will be it. Not exactly a “Shane riding off into the sunset” final vision.

But I know there’s a very real chance I’ll choke up some. Tears might be tough to keep back under the eyelids, too. We’ll see.

But Sakic is probably the one guy who could get me like that. I probably have spent more time in his near physical environment than I have with both my wives together. (Sorry hun, yeah, you can buy that fancy purse I I was hemming and hawing on from before, now that this admission is part of a google cache forever and ever. G’head).
I have often wondered why the following memory has always stuck with me, but maybe I now know why - and why the realization of that knowledge could make me choke up when Sakic calls it quits.
The scene: It’s September, 1995, and I’m sitting at the front of the Avalanche team bus as it begins a multi-city exhibition game tour throughout much of North America. I’m a rookie reporter, on my first road trip. I think I’ve packed ever last article of clothing I have for the week-long trip, but my coat is rather thin and the next stop is Montreal.

Sakic comes on the bus and tells me, “Hope you brought your overcoat.” That’s it, nothing more. He obviously saw my coatwear would be insufficient, and holding out hope I have a thicker garment somewhere in my suitcase. Alas, I didn’t.

I don’t really know why this is one memory that has stuck with me, 14 years later, but I’m sure I can now guess that it had something to do with Sakic’s concern for a nobody reporter like me - probably a superficial concern, yes - but something nonetheless. That little moment said a lot about Sakic - and absolutely nothing has changed over all these years of me being the daily reporter on this team.
Without getting too deep, the moment showed that Sakic was a superstar who still cared about the little guy, or who at least had a little time for the little guy.

Seriously, I was as greenhorn about the game of hockey as they came on that bus ride. Yeah, I’d grown up watching Bobby Orr and my beloved Bruins every night as a little kid and seen a lot of other hockey on TV and then covered DU and the Grizzlies. But - and I still shudder at this - that first preseason road trip through places like Cornwall, Ontario and Hamilton, Ont. and Montreal itself - it showed me, and fast, that I didn’t know a damn thing about the game, the real game. I’ve been playing catch-up ever since.

Through that trip, and through every one since, Joe Sakic changed NOT AT ALL as a person. NOT….AT…….ALL. Honestly, it has surprised even a now-jaded newspaper veteran like the one I am now. Most guys I’ve seen who started out humble but came into some big success in the game, they kind of evolve into a semi-”entitled” persona. Hockey has always had the most humble and genial of players toward the media and public. But lots of them develop an attitude that, hey, “I deserve something on the scale of who I am now”-kind of thing.

There was NOT ONE TIME in 14 years of covering Sakic on a daily basis where I even remotelyconsidered that he’d changed at all, even when the yearly paychecks went from $2 million a year, to $7 million a year to almost $11 million a year.

Joe Sakic was, quite possibly, the most amazingly consistent player AND person I’ve ever come across. He got his point-a-game for 20 straight NHL seasons. Think about that, and how hard that is (it is).
Now think about how much harder it is to stay on an emotional even keel every night in those 20 years, with media bothering you every night, dozens of fans EVERY DAY wanting something from you - a signature here, a quick cell phone pic there. Now add on the pressures of playing on a team expected to win a Stanley Cup ever year, the pressures that come to a guy making almost $11 million a year, three kids, a wife, and you still got….a guy who was just amazingly even-keeled.

When I sit back and think about Joe Sakic, it somehow, for me, keeps coming back to that day on the bus. A high-paid, star player looking over at the dorky red head in the next seat and wondering if he’d dressed warm enough.

Having spent more time probably in the near vicinity of Sakic than I have with two wives (that purse, I’m OK with Coach, hun), I’ve gotten to know a lot more about Joe Sakic, who he is, what he’s really like, I can tell all of you that he’s as real as they come, just a great person - whether he makes $6 million a year, or $18,000. I KNOW if he made only the 18, he’d be just like he is now.

After the other reporters left tonight, following his announcement he can’t play again this year, it was just me and Sakic left in the Avs’ locker room. As it often has over the years, the subject came around to Seattle Mariners baseball. He’s a huge fan, and is somewhat encouraged with a 2-2 start, and also with the return of “junior” - Ken Griffey.

Being a lifelong Red Sox fan, I’ve enjoyed lording it over Sakic in the last few years. “I’ve got two rings in the last four years” I love reminding him. “How many you got?”
One time over a year ago, at some function we were at, I made the same crack at Sakic, about the rings. That’s obviously when I pushed him too far one night. He raised one hand and flashed a REAL championship ring, one of his Avs rings. After nearly having my retinas burned from the sudden flash of light, I did a quick hosanna and acknowledged his overall edge to me in greatness.

And then Sakic asked if I wanted a drink from the bar, and we had a good laugh about it when he returned.

Yeah, I’m gonna tear up big time when he quits.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Slideshow

http://photos.denverpost.com/photoprojects/galleries/sportsgalleryV6.html#id=album-4364&num=1

Top 10 Joe Sakic goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfeh9DtXE7Q

Joe Sakic tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVBuLmblvHc&NR=1

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12773213

The Iceman goeth.

In Croatian the word pobjednik means "champion."

In English the name Sakic stands for "champion."

Gentleman Joe Sakic, champion, hockey player, humanitarian.

Hockey offers the hard, cold statistics of goals, assists and points.

Here are the soft, warm statistics of life about Citizen Sakic:

Goals — Reached his only hockey goals, becoming a player, becoming a good teammate, becoming a champion.

Assists — Raised funds to provide more than 7 million meals for Food Bank of the Rockies.

Points — Won titles in the NHL, the Winter Olympics, the World Junior Championships, the World Cup of Hockey, the World Championships and, his first, the Canadian National Midget Championships.

We're losing a winner.

MVP. Most valuable pobjednik.

Joe Sakic is a credit to his parents, his children, his wife, the Avalanche, the Nordiques, Canada, Colorado and the game he has played so well for so long.

He has been a living legacy for the four Swift Current Broncos mates who died the night of Dec. 30, 1986, when the team bus skidded off an icy road on the way to a game.

Years ago in the Vancouver, British Columbia, suburban home Sakic gave his parents, I talked with the Croatian immigrants about their famous son. "Joseph," his mother called him. "Joey," his father said, and added: "The family name is "Sackich." They couldn't teach him English — he spoke only Croatian as a small boy — but they taught him manners, class, a strong work ethic and how to dream. They had realized their own dream by escaping an oppressive authority.

Even on that day, Joe seemed embarrassed when they said that as a kid smaller than the rest, he would come home after dominating a game and, rather than talk about his performance, would sit in the hallway polishing his skates, then go to his room and practice his English.

He would idolize Wayne Gretzky, and soon enough Sakic would be considered the Next Great One. He didn't disappoint.

Joe married his teenage sweetheart, Debbie, and the only surprise at the ceremony was that he said more words — "I do" — than he would for years in the NHL and actually included "I" in a sentence for one of the few times in his life.

Truthfully, when Joe Sakic arrived in Denver in 1995, few here had any clue.

"Joe Who?"

When the Avalanche won the Stanley Cup that season, and Joe was named the playoffs' MVP and hoisted the trophy at City Hall, everybody knew who Joe was.

The second time the Avalanche won the Cup and it was presented to Joe, in 2001, he eschewed the captain's tradition of skating with it around the rink. He immediately handed Lord Stanley's Chalice to Ray Bourque, who had toiled in Boston without a title.

Joe was never me-first. He was humbled upon becoming the highest-paid player in the sport, humbled by all the personal awards, humbled by the No. 1 star of the game acknowledgements.

He always has spoken softly and carried a big stick.

There have been two other humbling moments in the superstar's career.

In 1991, he became the first cut from the Canada Cup team. He determined he would never be cut again by any team. In 1998, he played in the first Olympics to include professional hockey players, but injured a knee and had to watch as the Canadians lost in their sport.

In 2002, Sakic was named the MVP in the Olympics at Salt Lake City as Canada won the gold under team leader Gretzky. Sakic played again in 2006 and could finish his career at the Olympics next year in his hometown of Vancouver.

If there is any right in the world of sports, Sakic's adopted hometown of Denver will erect a statue outside The Can with Joe Sakic holding up the Stanley Cup and surrounded by kids.

The Avs' recent No. 1 draft choice said he idolized Joe Sakic.

Nobody who has played the game with and against Joe can twist mouths to say anything negative about Joe. Even during the depths of hockey's ugliest rivalry, the Red Wings praised Joe. Nobody outside the game who has ever met Joe or even watched his horrible wrist- shot putts on a golf course can twist minds to say anything disapproving about Joe.

A man who celebrated his 40th birthday Tuesday still looks like and acts like and seems like he could play the game, and love the game, forever.

But he has won it all. He has chosen to retire, but he will be remembered as one of the two best professional players in Denver for all time.

Joe Sakic is a champion, a pobjednik, with a heart as big as the arena and as gold as his Olympic medal.

The Iceman's Cups runneth over.

Thnikkaman
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I will miss watching him skate. It pained me to root against him and Roy in 2002 during the Olympics. He is the John Elway of Hockey.

Medford Bronco
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I remember Joe Sakic as a young player with the Quebec Nordiques wearing
number 88 or 89 as a rookie before changing to his number to the more famous 19 as the Nordique captain before moving to Colorado in 96.

I was so happy when the Avs beat the Panthers and their rat throwing in 96.
What team with Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Deadmarsh, Mike Ricci, Scott Young, Ozolinch (sp)
and Uwe Krupp and Adam Foote. What a team

Then in 2001 when the had acquired Bourque to get him his Cup finally with Chris Drury
and Alex Tanguay as well with most of the above players.

Great player but even a more classy person. The NHL and sporting world will miss
Joe Sakic. Your next stop, Toronto for the HHOF induction in 3 years.

:salute: Joe

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
The following will cover Joe's press conference:

Sakic, a 13-time All-Star, is expected to formally announce his decision to retire Thursday at a news conference. You can watch it live on FOX 31 at 1:00 p.m. or watch live streaming coverage here on KDVR.com.

Also, live streaming on:

http://cbs4denver.com/

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Susie Wargin, 9 sports, stated a few minutes ago that the Avs will be retiring Joe's number at the home opener this year.

SR
07-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm more sad about this than I was Patrick Roy or John Elway,

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Not sure if it is on Fox, but Altitude is carrying it live

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Joe's presser and more Joe videos on nhl.com

Presser video link http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=379&id=44820

underrated29
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Is it a good retirement or a sad one...

I cant see it, but i would hope that it is more of the celebration type of retirement presser. That is the feeling i get right now is that it is one of those kinds.

not the sad one like shanny and bowlen.

insight?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Is it a good retirement or a sad one...

I cant see it, but i would hope that it is more of the celebration type of retirement presser. That is the feeling i get right now is that it is one of those kinds.

not the sad one like shanny and bowlen.

insight?

some a little sad - here is a recap:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=119014&catid=339

DENVER - Joe Sakic, the long-time center and captain of the Colorado Avalanche, announced his retirement Thursday afternoon at an emotional news conference, saying playing hockey was all he ever wanted to do.

During the news conference, the normally reserved Sakic frequently choked up and Avalanche President Pierre Lacroix also became very emotional.

Sakic read from a prepared statement to the 1,200 people who had assembled at the start of the news conference at the Inverness Hotel.

"I thought this was going to be a lot easier, growing up you know you're going to face this moment one day. And you know there comes a time for every athlete who has to decide when it's time to move on," Sakic said near tears.

He talked about going to his first hockey game when he was 4 years old, "I knew then that I wanted to be a hockey player. It's all I ever wanted to do after that."

"After having the privilege of playing for 20 years, I'm leaving the game of hockey with nothing but great memories and a sense of accomplishment," Sakic said. "The game has given me more than I ever dreamed of, and for that I am truly grateful."

"Hockey has given me everything," Sakic said. "It's one of the perks of playing until you're 40 is you're pretty blessed to play in front of your kids for so many years and not everyone has a chance to do that. I've missed a lot of their activities and now I'm excited for the next chapter and it's my turn to stay home and take them to and from their activities and just watch them."

"He [Sakic] is the perfect example of outstanding integrity," Lacroix said.

"My family and I are privileged to know you," Lacroix told Sakic in a thick voice. "And we are convinced we are better people because of you. You make everyone around you so much better."

The Avalanche also announced Thursday the team will retire Sakic's No. 19 prior to the team's first home game of the 2009-10 season. That time, date and opponent have yet to be announced.

It will be just the third sweater retired in the 14-year history of the Avalanche, joining Patrick Roy (33) and Ray Bourque (77). The organization also retired four sweaters when they were the Quebec Nordiques.

"It is appropriate and deserving that we launch the season by honoring Joe's accomplishments," Lacroix said in a statement. "We can't put into words what he meant to this franchise and to our hockey fans."

Sakic was regarded as a quiet superstar, known for his clutch scoring - tallying an NHL-record eight overtime goals in the playoffs - and his class.

Governor Bill Ritter also took the podium during the afternoon news conference, saying he was there to speak the voice of the people of Colorado.

"I think Joe, you're in a class all of your own," Ritter said. "You played with great integrity, you played with grace and you played with humility. And those are not only uncommon, but in their combination in you they almost seem unique."

Sakic captured the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy for sportsmanship in 2001, showing his true character by handing the Stanley Cup over to Ray Bourque after winning the title and letting the longtime defenseman skate it around the ice.

Avalanche defenseman Adam Foote also spoke during the news conference, representing Sakic's teammates.

"The one memory, other than the big clutch goals we keep hearing about, that I think really shows what kind of person you are, and people have touched on it, and that will never be forgotten is when you were presented the second Stanley Cup. The humble superstar that you are, you stood back, and you let a gray-bearded 22-season veteran [Bourque] who was waiting patiently like a young boy on Christmas morning hoist his first Stanley Cup," Foote said. "That class act of yours might go down in history as one of the NHL's most memorable moments that united the entire hockey world."

The news of Sakic's retirement was first made Tuesday - his 40th birthday.

Sakic had been in the NHL for 20 seasons - joining the organization when they were the Quebec Nordiques. He was the 15th overall pick by the Nordiques in the 1987 NHL Draft.

Sakic says his back injury gave him the first clue that he might have to stop playing hockey.

"I kind of had an idea that this probably would be my last year," he said. "I tried real hard to come back and play a few games and see if I could do it, but over the summer you have to face reality and I just didn't think that I could be the player that I want to be."

The center was a driving force in guiding the Avalanche to two Stanley Cup championships in 1996 and 2001.

Sakic's best season statistically was the 1995-1996 championship campaign - the first as the Colorado Avalanche. He scored 51 goals, 69 assists and 120 points through a full 82-game season. It's no surprise his second-best season was when the Avs won their second cup after the 2000-01 season, recording 54 goals and 64 assists.

After that season, his numbers drastically dropped. His best season after winning the second Stanley Cup was the 2006-07 campaign when he scored 36 goals and had 64 assists for 100 points.

Sakic has not played with the team since Nov. 28, 2008, when he was active in one shift of a 2-1 loss to Phoenix. He only played in 15 games during the 2008-09 season, scoring two goals and making 10 assists. Sakic's last game with a goal was on Oct. 25 in 1 4-1 win over Edmonton.

The 2008-09 season for Sakic was cut short after that game. He strained his back in the team weight room and then broke three fingers attempting to clear snow from a mechanical snowblower at his home.

Never an intimidating presence - he's only 5-foot-11 and 195 pounds - he made up for it with speed, determination and intelligence. There are only four players in league history that have scored more points with one franchise than Sakic: Gordie Howe (1,809) and Steve Yzerman (1,755) with Detroit, Mario Lemieux with Pittsburgh (1,723) and Wayne Gretzky with Edmonton (1,669).

Sakic also was remarkably consistent, scoring 30 or more goals in a franchise-record nine different seasons.

He leaves as the team's leader in virtually every offensive category.

"His leadership, sportsmanship and respect for the game of hockey are legendary," Avalanche owner E. Stanley Kroenke said.

Sakic made his NHL debut on Oct. 6, 1988, picking up his first assist against the then Hartford Whalers. Two nights later against New Jersey, he scored his first goal.

That would be a familiar occurrence.

"Joe's contributions have been invaluable and his achievements speak for themselves," Lacroix said. "I find myself very much like a hockey fan, filled with a tremendous sense of satisfaction which comes from having had the opportunity to know him as a person, to have watched him play and simply appreciate him as a complete professional."
(Copyright KUSA*TV with the Associated Press, All Rights Reserved)

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.milehighhockey.com/2009/7/9/943512/joe-sakic-retirement-press

Alot of different stuff on above link, plus the following:

Also, there will be replays on Altitude, starting tonight at 6:00

Where to watch:

For those in the Denver area, Altitude will be showing the conference live:

Altitude will televise the Avalanche Press Conference for Joe Sakic on Thursday, July 9 at 1:00 p.m. live. Kyle Keefe will host the event, with Peter McNab and Norm Jones at the desk and Mike Haynes conducting interviews.

The also will be replaying it at 6:00 pm, 10:00 pm, 12:00 am and on Friday at 7:00 am (all Mountain Time).

Also:

NHL Network US will re-air the Joe Sakic tribute program at 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. ET tonight, and at 10:00 a.m., 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. ET on Friday, July 10. NHL Network Canada will re-air Sakic's press conference at 10:00 p.m. ET tonight, and at 1:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m., ET on Friday, July 10.

To continue the celebration, NHL Network will air 12 hours of Sakic-themed programming Saturday and Sunday from Noon to 6 p.m. ET. The full schedule of NHL Network Presents: A Sakic Salute is as follows, all times Eastern and subject to change

SR
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Damn I wish I had the NHL Network. This is a truly sad day.

pnbronco
07-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Damn I wish I had the NHL Network. This is a truly sad day.

Yes it is a sad day. I watch part of the reply on Altitude and cried through half of it. I am such a wimp, but hearing and seeing all he did just kept filling my eyes up. Esp since he is sooo nice. They said on the news last night that with the funds he and Debbie have raised for Food Bank of the Rockies that "I think" over 10 million meals have been given out, talk about a number to be proud of.

Anyway it looks like the Avs web site has the Press Conference broken down in the different sections. It's kind of funny I noticed today that I had posted 19 times on the Avs site in 2 years, I just laughed this morning and figured it was appropriate given the day. I know that this will pass, but dang it today I just kept finding myself really sad.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12806404

Forty minutes before his official retirement speech, Mighty Joe Sakic sat in the Inverness Hotel's green room, which was painted gray, and took a bite out of a turkey sandwich and his life. Joe's wife, Debbie, was to his left, and his friend and longtime teammate Adam Foote to his right. His son Mitchell and the twins, Chase and Kamryn, as kids are wont to do, were all over the place.

An intrepid intruder interrupted.

"You looking for scoops?" Debbie laughed.

"No, I'm looking for the buffet. Hi, Joe. What's new?" I asked.

"I'm retiring," Joe said.

"I've heard. But, then, you've always been shy and retiring, Quoteless Joe," a nickname I tagged him with 14 years ago.

He will not be, let's face it, confused for Will Rogers. More like Roy Rogers, the strong, silent type.

"I'll give you a scoop," Joe said.

STOP THE PRESSES!

"At the last game at the arena, I looked up at the Jumbo-Tron, and they showed the back of my head. Everybody could see that I had a bald spot. You can't play hockey with a bald spot, so I'm hanging up the skates."

Quoteless Joe finally said hello with a good quote as he said goodbye.

Joe gave me a bunch more scoops, but not a sandwich, before he walked over to the conference room to face the live TV cameras, the media parasites, the young Avalanche (Matt Duchene appears), his old teammates ("Goose" Gusarov reappears) and the speech he dreaded to give, not because he hadn't fully made up his mind to retire, but because Joe would prefer three pucks and two fists in the face from the Red Wings to talking about himself.

• Sakic, born and bred near Vancouver, British Columbia, to be a hockey icon, will live permanently in Denver.

"I love Colorado. This is our home," he said.

Like John — the only other professional athlete who belongs in the same sentence with Joe (who also will become the first career player on his Denver team in the Hall of Fame) — Sakic came, saw, conquered and chose to stay.

"The time of year I love the weather the most here is the fall, and I've never really gotten to experience the mountains and Denver in the fall because I was always playing and traveling. We've already planned our first fall," he said.

• Sakic would like to rejoin the Avalanche in a management (not coaching) position. He wants to be a hockey executive, just like the player he idolized, Wayne Gretzky, and just as John wanted to be a football executive. Sakic probably will one day be his former team's vice president/general manager, a role John never got with his former team, and possibly club leader for the Canadian Olympic team.

Avs president Pierre Lacroix came into the room as Sakic said he enjoyed turning 40 on Tuesday.

"The best years for a man are from 40-50. You've got so much more ahead," Lacroix said.

• Sakic has a golf coach and hopes that within a year his wrist-shot putts and slap-shot 3-wood will be off the charts, not off the pipes.

• Sakic will become a soccer dad. Now, Debbie can ice skate or play golf while Joe totes the kids in the SUV to practice and the mall. CapSak will be a great leader as youth hockey coach. "Joe drives ... he scores ... chicken fingers for everybody and holds up the supersized Ice Cream Cup."

"It's his turn," Debbie said.

• Sakic will not be like Brett Favre and unretire. He's like John and will remain retired. The bodies commanded them. Sakic's weakness as a young hockey player was his lack of leg strength. "He worked tirelessly to develop his legs," Foote said. Now, following the back injury last season, Sakic doesn't have the leg strength anymore.

• Sakic and his family will leave Monday for Swift Current, Saskatchewan, where he last played minor-league hockey for the Broncos and where, at a local high school, he met Debbie.

His scoop-providing finished, but not his sandwich, Sakic was beckoned to cross the courtyard and go before the lights and give his speech. His 20-year career in the National Hockey League "has gone so fast. It seems like yesterday I was introduced as a first-round draft choice," said the man with the tousled hair who looked uncomfortable in a dotted tie.

I have written some unflattering comments about many athletes in Denver since 1974, but I never wrote anything negative about Citizen Sakic — except his dull quotes (then) and his bald spot (now). He was the best of his team on and off the ice and the best in this town and among the best ever in his sport.

In the main room, Sakic didn't cry, but his soft voice cracked a few times as everyone nearby wept. At the end of a short video showing some highlights of Joe's career in hockey — it could have been longer and more exciting than "Gone With The Wind" — people in the room rose for a standing ovation. A jaded member of the media was uncertain. I pulled him up off his chair. Joe is the exception to the rule.

I was asked by the Avs to represent the press and the fans and say something about Joe. First, I gave him my tie (emblazoned with a hockey player — Joe his own self).

Unlike "Shoeless" Joe Hardy in "Damn Yankees," "Quoteless Joe" Sakic never sold his soul to the devil — or the Devils. He sold his soul to his family, his community, his charities, his teammates, his game.

Joe Hardy was a fictional great. Joe Sakic is a factual great. I am media, and I am a fan of Joe's. He's the preeminent good guy in sports.

As usual, Sakic thanked everyone else for his success Thursday afternoon. We thank you, Joe.

The pleasure was all ours.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Denver Native (Carol)
07-10-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12790073?source=searchles

Peter Forsberg will not be on hand today to see Joe Sakic announce his retirement from the Avalanche. But he'll be there in spirit.

Forsberg, who starred with Sakic to form a deadly 1-2 punch at center in Colorado, called Sakic "one of the most important people in my life."

"I owe him a lot," Forsberg told the Swedish newspaper Expressen. "He really helped me when I came to Quebec, as a young European player a little nervous about what was ahead."

Forsberg was at the Pepsi Center to see Sakic at the Avalanche's final regular-season game in April. Although he has yet to make his own retirement official, Forsberg said it "doesn't look good" that he'll play in the NHL again because of foot injuries.

Forsberg, like a lot of Sakic's close friends and teammates, enjoyed a needling relationship.

"We always had a little competition going on between us on who had won most championships and trophies," Forsberg said. "Sakic used to tease me that I never won a World Junior Championship while he did, and my answer was always 'but how many Olympic gold medals do you have?' I knew I had one more."

SR
07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I can't tell you how much time I've spent watching old clips of the Avs and guys like Deadmarsh (just watched the fight with Ed Jovonovski...sorry if I spelled that wrong....that was the beginning of the end of his career), Stephanne Yelle, Podein, Eric Messier, Forsberg, Drury, Tanguay, Hejduk, Sakic, Foote, Claude Lemeuix, Patty Roy, Theo Fleury, Blake, Bourque, etc. It makes me sad. I grew up watching these guys play for the team I love and now they're all gone minus Hejduk and Foote. Sakic was always the centerpiece of this team and with him retiring we are definitely turning a new leaf. It's refreshing but sad at the same time.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
For those who get Altitude, tonight at 6:30 MST, tribute to Joe Sakic.