PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Jack Del Rio

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio talks about reuniting with Head Coach John Fox and his expectations for the defense in a Q&A.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - After nine seasons as the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Jack Del Rio joined the Broncos in late January to run the team's defense.

It's the first time Del Rio has been a defensive coordinator since 2002, when he worked with then-Head Coach John Fox in Carolina.

Now reunited with Fox, Del Rio said he's looking to bring some of the "Orange Crush" mentality back to the Denver defense. He spoke with DenverBroncos.com about his move to Denver, his relationship with Coach Fox and the benefit of being a former player.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/QA-with-Jack-Del-Rio/58ab776b-e610-4edf-93ba-91c3c37a093a

Chef Zambini
07-11-2012, 02:26 PM
thanks, but mostly cotton candy, not alot of substance.

Dzone
07-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Are you really lazy, or is that just a rumor?

NightTerror218
07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Question for people.....With Del Rio now hired. What are the expectation of the defense. With that new signings on both sides of the ball and new conditioning staff. How do you think the defense will rank?
Top 5?
Top 10?
Middle of the pack?
Same as last season?

I am hoping a Top 10. With Peyton and McCoy running the offense I think Fox will focus more on the defense with Del Rio. I def think we will improve from last season. I am hoping for less injuries due to new conditioning too.

xzn
07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
JDR is ambitious. His best shot at getting another HC gig is to get a ring with his old buddy, Fox.

I'm pumped that Denver has real "football guys" like the above two and JAE, at last!

The Franchise seems headed in the right direction for the first time in a long time. Like JDR said: it's just a great time to be involved with the Broncos organization.

xzn
07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Overall, it seems like Fox's guys are regathering @ altitude. From the new strength team, to Magazu and JDR it really feels like they know what they're doing. Screw McDaniel's cheating / OnTheJobTraining and Shanahan's arrogant hubris.

G_Money
07-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I doubt we'll be top-10. Most high-scoring passing teams don't also have great defensive numbers. The extra possessions granted by the quick strikes means extra chances for the other guys to get on the board, and playing with a big lead can make defenses able to take risks that allow late-game touchdowns once the game's out of reach.

I look for a defense that can hold teams to field goals or punts early while we score touchdowns, then pin their ears back and get after the passer once the lead's established. Our first draftpick is a pass-rusher, last year's rookie extraordinaire is a pass-rusher... we should have a team designed to bring it, which means occasionally giving up those yards and scores that drop defensive rankings.

I don't care about defensive rankings as much as I care about early scoring. It will determine our style of play. Strong scoring D that gives way to aggressive D as the game wears on is just fine with me.

~G

NightTerror218
07-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I doubt we'll be top-10. Most high-scoring passing teams don't also have great defensive numbers. The extra possessions granted by the quick strikes means extra chances for the other guys to get on the board, and playing with a big lead can make defenses able to take risks that allow late-game touchdowns once the game's out of reach.

I look for a defense that can hold teams to field goals or punts early while we score touchdowns, then pin their ears back and get after the passer once the lead's established. Our first draftpick is a pass-rusher, last year's rookie extraordinaire is a pass-rusher... we should have a team designed to bring it, which means occasionally giving up those yards and scores that drop defensive rankings.

I don't care about defensive rankings as much as I care about early scoring. It will determine our style of play. Strong scoring D that gives way to aggressive D as the game wears on is just fine with me.

~G

Don't forget Fox likes controlling the clock and likes having a good running game. I think we will seed a good amount of rushing attempts and wearing down defenses while giving our defense a break. The patriots had a top 10 defense several times since 05 and they are a high scoring passing team. I think we will have of a ground game then them. The fell off in last 2 or 3 years.

Canmore
07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

~G

Well said. We need to score early and let the D pin their ears back and attack. That would be the ideal situation. I would be perfectly happy with a top five scoring offense and a middle of the road to top ten defense. With our schedule I think that is going to be difficult though.

Simple Jaded
07-13-2012, 10:11 PM
It's nice to finally have a HC that other coaches wanna work with.......