PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft: Broncos Target Lumpkin

iLands
07-10-2012, 06:02 AM
The league’s 2012 Supplemental Draft will be held on Tuesday and eight players are eligible to be selected. *One of the prospects in the draft is former Alabama A&M linebacker Larry Lumpkin, who was ruled*ineligibly for the 2012 college football season.

The draft gives players often labeled as character-flawed a chance to*rectify*their football careers. *Players who were unable to*petition*the league for early entry into the NFL Draft and find*themselves*ineligible*for their upcoming college season may enter the Supplemental Draft as underclassmen.

Players are rarely selected in the draft however as teams are wary of players who, for whatever reasons, were not held in high*regard by their college coaches. *After the Supplemental Draft order is finalized, teams wishing to select a player submit the name of the player and round they want to select him in to the league. *The team that bids that highest round pick is awarded the player bid on and that selection is forfeited from the team’s*corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft.

And if your still reading, yes, this is all relevant to the Denver Broncos. Because the team has reportedly shown interest in one of the players eligible for the draft.

Team scouts representing the Broncos have been talking with Alabama A&M Offensive Coordinator*Cedric Pearl, who serves as A&M’s NFL*liaison, about Lumpkin and are seeking information on his background.

“They’re interested in Larry,” Pearl told Reggie Benson of The Huntsville Times. “They’ve seen him on film. They know what he can do. They’re trying to get information on his background.”

Lumpkin spent two seasons at A&M before transferring to Carson-Newman College after the 2010* season. *Measuring up and weighing in at**6-0, 234 pounds, Lumpkin was a high school star and led*the Carson-Newman with a team-high 94 tackles, including 62 solos, and also had 10 tackles for loss enroute to earning All-South Atlantic Conference first-team honors last season.

His talent on the field was undeniable, but Lumpkin struggled with off-the-field problems.

“Larry was a playmaker for us, but he had a lot of issues,” A&M’s inside linebackers Coach*Jay Martin*said. “He was constantly late for meetings and he would miss practice at least one day a week. *He was very undisciplined. He would have helped us, but he didn’t want to be here.”

That’s likely not what the Broncos wanted to hear. *But if the team is willing to take a chance on his character concerns, they could benefit from his*athletic*abilities.

It seems unlikely that the Broncos would use a future draft selection on such a high-risk-moderate-reward prospect, but they have shown interest. *The Supplemental Draft will be held on Thursday, July 12th at 1 p.m. (ET).

http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/38938/broncos-buzz/broncos-interested-in-unique-draft-prospect/

Thought I'd share. Could we be getting another Bronco? Is this a move that FED is considering due to DJ's suspensions?

SoCalImport
07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
[I]

“Larry was a playmaker for us, but he had a lot of issues,” A&M’s inside linebackers Coach*Jay Martin*said. “He was constantly late for meetings and he would miss practice at least one day a week. *He was very undisciplined. He would have helped us, but he didn’t want to be here.”

http://broncotalk.net/2012/07/38938/broncos-buzz/broncos-interested-in-unique-draft-prospect/

Thought I'd share. Could we be getting another Bronco? Is this a move that FED is considering due to DJ's suspensions?

So what round/pick would we be looking at sacrificing next year? Anything higher than 6th round is a definate NO THANKS.

MileHighCrew
07-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Seems liek a high risk/reward kind of gamble.

I guess I can look it up, but who are some noteable supplemental draft picks over the years that have made an impact?

MileHighCrew
07-10-2012, 10:15 AM
List of NFL Supplemental Draft PicksEntry # Year Drafted Player Position Round NFL Team College Reason For Entering Supplemental Draft
1 1977 Al Hunter RB 4th Seattle Seahawks Notre Dame Suspended from the team for violating dormitory visitation rules.[69]
2 1978 Johnnie Dirden WR 10th Houston Oilers Sam Houston State dropped out of college after two years.[70]
3 1978 Rod Connors RB 12th San Francisco 49ers USC dropped out of college with eligibility remaining.[71]
4 1979 Rod Stewart RB 6th Buffalo Bills Kentucky
5 1980 Matthew Teague DE 7th Atlanta Falcons Prairie View A&M
6 1980 Billy Mullins WR 9th San Diego Chargers USC declared ineligible when it was discovered that he gained credits simultaneously from four junior colleges in the fall of 1977 in order to gain entry to USC.[72]
7 1981 Dave Wilson QB 1st New Orleans Saints Illinois declared ineligible amid questions about his high school transcript and junior college stay.[73]
8 1981 Chy Davidson WR 11th New England Patriots Rhode Island
9 1982 Kevin Robinson DB 9th Detroit Lions North Carolina A&T
10 1985 Bernie Kosar QB 1st Cleveland Browns Miami (FL) Graduated after his junior year.[74]
11 1985 Roosevelt Snipes RB 8th San Francisco 49ers Florida State suspended from the team for a poor class attendance record.[75]
12 1986 Charles Crawford RB 7th Philadelphia Eagles Oklahoma State Crawford missed his senior year with an injury and declared for the supplemental draft amid questions about whether his eligibility would be extended.[76]
13 1987 Brian Bosworth LB 1st Seattle Seahawks Oklahoma Bosworth did not declare for the draft before its deadline.[77]
14 1987 Dan Sileo DT 3rd Tampa Bay Buccaneers Miami (FL)
15 1987 Cris Carter WR 4th Philadelphia Eagles Ohio State Carter was suspended before his senior season for signing with an agent.[78]
16 1988 Ryan Bethea WR 5th Minnesota Vikings South Carolina
17 1989 Steve Walsh QB 1st Dallas Cowboys Miami (FL) Walsh did not declare for the draft before its deadline.[79]
18 1989 Timm Rosenbach QB 1st Phoenix Cardinals Washington State Rosenbach did not declare for the draft before its deadline.[79]
19 1989 Bobby Humphrey RB 1st Denver Broncos Alabama
20 1989 Brett Young DB 8th Buffalo Bills Oregon
21 1989 Mike Lowman RB 12th Dallas Cowboys Coffeyville Community College
22 1990 Rob Moore WR 1st New York Jets Syracuse Moore graduated from college with a year of eligibility remaining, and did not declare in time for regular draft.[80]
23 1990 Willie Williams TE 9th Phoenix Cardinals LSU
24 1992 Dave Brown QB 1st New York Giants Duke Brown graduated from college with a year of eligibility remaining, and did not declare for the NFL until after the regular draft had been held.[81]
25 1992 Darren Mickell DE 2nd Kansas City Chiefs Florida Mickell was suspended from team for senior season for undisclosed violations of team rules.[82]
26 1994 Tito Wooten DB 4th New York Giants Louisiana-Monroe
27 1994 John Davis TE 5th Dallas Cowboys Emporia State
28 1995 Darren Benson DT 3rd Dallas Cowboys Trinity Valley Community College
29 1998 Mike Wahle OT 2nd Green Bay Packers Navy Wahle was suspended for senior season by the NCAA after testing positive for steroids.[83]
30 1998 Jamal Williams DT 2nd San Diego Chargers Oklahoma State Williams was declared academically ineligible before his senior season.[84]
31 1999 J'Juan Cherry DB 4th New England Patriots Arizona State
32 2002 Milford Brown OL 6th Houston Texans Florida State He had used up his five year competition eligibility.[85]
33 2003 Tony Hollings RB 2nd Houston Texans Georgia Tech He was academically ineligible for the 2003 college season.[86]
34 2005 Manuel Wright DT 5th Miami Dolphins USC Chose entering the draft over not playing college football while trying to regain his academic eligibility.[87]
35 2006 Ahmad Brooks[88] LB 3rd Cincinnati Bengals Virginia He was dismissed from his college team.[89]
36 2007 Paul Oliver S 4th San Diego Chargers Georgia He left college because of academic problems.[90]
37 2007 Jared Gaither[90] OT 5th Baltimore Ravens Maryland He was declared academically ineligible in college.[91]
38 2009 Jeremy Jarmon DE 3rd Washington Redskins Kentucky "He tested positive for a banned substance."[92]
39 2010 Harvey Unga[93] RB 7th Chicago Bears BYU His request for readmission to complete his senior year was denied.[93]
40 2010 Josh Brent[93] NT 7th Dallas Cowboys Illinois He was "...reportedly academically ineligible for the 2010 [college] season."[94]
41 2011 Terrelle Pryor QB 3rd Oakland Raiders Ohio State He faced a five game suspension in college.[95]

ok so I decided to answer my own question.

turftoad
07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I would say (as the article says) we are interested in him. Not neccesarily targeting him.

If we can get him on the cheap, I'd be OK with that.

dogfish
07-10-2012, 10:45 AM
i guess you can never have too many tiny linebackers. . .

OrangeHoof
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Put him down for a 7th. If he doesn't pan out, you really haven't lost much and if he succeeds, it will look like a steal. And, yes, maybe he just gets us through DJ's suspension before he gets into trouble. Maybe that is worth a seventh.

Keep in mind also folks that with our free agent spending binge it will be almost impossible for us to get any comp picks next year so the draft choices we have are probably all we're going to get. (Man, the Colts are going to get a bundle of comps...)

SoCalImport
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Put him down for a 7th. If he doesn't pan out, you really haven't lost much and if he succeeds, it will look like a steal. And, yes, maybe he just gets us through DJ's suspension before he gets into trouble. Maybe that is worth a seventh.

Keep in mind also folks that with our free agent spending binge it will be almost impossible for us to get any comp picks next year so the draft choices we have are probably all we're going to get. (Man, the Colts are going to get a bundle of comps...)

from what I read the Cowboys are showing the most interest and you know that if they like him then Jerry will overpay.

topscribe
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Lumpkin must have a lot of talent. That's the only reason I can see gambling
a draft choice for him. But I wouldn't think D.J. is the issue. Thinking of
replacing a guy with off-field issues with another who apparently has even
worse off-field issues wouldn't seem to make sense to me . . .

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't think DJs troubles have anything to do with this guy. He's not even in the mix for starting, he's purely special teams and potential at most.

Personally, hearing about him missing practices once a week and meetings give me the reason to just pass on this kid, he just doesn't 'get it' at all.

LTC Pain
07-10-2012, 01:20 PM
from what I read the Cowboys are showing the most interest and you know that if they like him then Jerry will overpay.

Link???

Traveler
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Lumpkin must have a lot of talent. That's the only reason I can see gambling
a draft choice for him. But I wouldn't think D.J. is the issue. Thinking of
replacing a guy with off-field issues with another who apparently has even
worse off-field issues wouldn't seem to make sense to me . . .

My guess is they are interested in him, but only as CFA. If he has the character concerns expressed by his former coaches, he probably won't be selected in the SD.

Superchop 7
07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Gordon is a stud.....the rest FA.

SoCalImport
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Link???

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lb-larry-lumpkin-getting-look-185109242--nfl.html

"According to the Huntsville Times, both the Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos have expressed interest in Lumpkin, who was an All-South Atlantic Conference first-team selection after leading Carson-Newman in tackles last season"

Ziggy
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I'll believe it when someone names a single rookie that John Elway has brought in with major character concerns.

Cugel
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
For the Broncos to draft him they'd have to think he would have a chance to make the 53 man roster. And that would mean that they think he's better than several other players already here. It doesn't sound likely.

However, suppose NOBODY drafts him and he's available as an undrafted FA next year? They might want to bring him in for a look.

Clearly he has maturity issues, but then LOTS of 22 year olds do. It's rather a lot to expect that everybody has their act together by the time they graduate from college. I've known many who did not. Sometimes a player can simply get into a conflict with his college coaches. That doesn't necessarily mean that he can't play in the NFL, but it does raise concerns. They're not committing to giving him a big signing bonus or anything more than the league minimum contract if he makes the team.

Personally, If I were Elway, I'd talk to the kid and find out what I thought about him.