PDA

View Full Version : Rumors Fly That Brandon Marshall Is Broke

Tned
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Posted on Profootballtalk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/03/rumors-fly-that-brandon-marshall-is-broke/

Rumors Fly That Brandon Marshall Is Broke
Posted by Mike Florio on July 3, 2009 1:28 PM

Receiver Brandon Marshall's ongoing desire to leave Denver is rooted in two concerns. First, he doesn't like the manner in which the team's physicians handled a hip injury that ultimately required surgery. Second, he wants a new contract.

The more accurate description as to the latter factor could be that he needs a new contract.

There's talk in league circles that Marshall has run out of money. If that's true, at least one league source isn't surprised.

"Why does a guy who was a fourth-round draft pick live in three different places?" the source said regarding Marshall's residences in Denver, Atlanta, and Orlando.

Frankly, we find it hard to believe that Marshall is facing money troubles, if in fact he is (and we're not reporting that he is -- we're only saying that some league insiders think that he is). After pocketing a signing bonus of $420,000 in 2006, Marshall earned a base salary of $275,000 as a rookie, a base salary of $360,000 in 2007, and a base salary of $445,000 in 2008 (less two game checks, one for a suspension and one for a fine). Also, because of his stellar performances to date in his career, escalators in Marshall's rookie deal have pushed his 2009 salary to $2.198 million.

Of course, Marshall likely will be able to easily afford those three houses -- and more -- once he gets paid like the elite receiver he is. But it's not going to happen soon, unless someone blows the Broncos away with a trade offer.

Our pal Adam Schefter thinks the Broncos wouldn't say "no" to a first-round draft pick (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/02/broncos-willing-to-listen-offers-for-brandon-marshall/). But we think it would take more than that to get the Broncos to give Marshall a one-way ticket out of the "f--king city (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/06/30/brandon-marshall-on-denver-i-hate-this-f--king-city/)" he supposedly hates.

If Marshall isn't traded, he likely won't be getting a big-money deal in the near future. As we understand it, the Broncos don't plan to devote any more cash to the 2009 edition of the team, likely due to a lingering bad economy and concerns previously stated by owner Pat Bowlen regarding the current player-compensation system under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Bottom line? If Brandon really is broke, he might want to consider getting a short-term loan. After all, he'll make plenty of money once the season starts, and a huge payday is looming.

Of course, if he can't scare up any cash (if he in fact is running out of it), there's always bankruptcy.

In the end, it might be the best way for Marshall to keep his Ms. Pacman video game (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/01/vicks-new-bankruptcy-plan-seems-more-feasible/), if like Mike Vick he actually owns one.

WARHORSE
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Did you see that rumor that just flew by?

Theyre just flyin all over these days.

I must say, that its not really something Im concerned about. Tell his agent to give him some kupe.

MadMax
07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Interesting find...

If it's true does this favor or hurt the Broncos? I think it favors us in the long run because it means BM is more likely to blink first and take whatever offer Pat Bowlen has already put on the table. Course it's also another judgment concern with Brandon not that we had enough of those already. :tsk:

Tned
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Interesting find...

If it's true does this favor or hurt the Broncos? I think it favors us in the long run because it means BM is more likely to blink first and take whatever offer Pat Bowlen has already put on the table. Course it's also another judgment concern with Brandon not that we had enough of those already. :tsk:

If true, it puts Marshall in a very tough place when it comes to holding out. If he holds out for 10 games, he will lose something in the neighborhood of 2/3rds his 2009 salary, which is not the way to get out from under his financial troubles.

"Jerry, show me the money...."

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Veeeeery interesting..

I suspect there is alot of truth to the story..

I doubt that anyone short of a loan shark would give this MAROON any money.. considering his history and hysteria, it would be what you call a bad deal..

odds are he has spent alot of money traveling and on housing and he has been banking on getting a new deal.. I also have to wonder if mike did indeed make him and jay promises on the side, of a huge payday if they performed last year..

that would explain him running out of cash..

Tned
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Veeeeery interesting..

I suspect there is alot of truth to the story..

I doubt that anyone short of a loan shark would give this MAROON any money.. considering his history and hysteria, it would be what you call a bad deal..

odds are he has spent alot of money traveling and on housing and he has been banking on getting a new deal.. I also have to wonder if mike did indeed make him and jay promises on the side, of a huge payday if they performed last year..

that would explain him running out of cash..

Actually, I doubt he would have too much trouble finding banks willing to lend him money, which is how he is likely paying for the three houses. However, you still have to pay the mortgage payments, utilities, big parties NFL big shots are supposed to play, etc.

You have to realize that a banker will look at his W2 and his salary (which si $2 million this year), not base their decision on our 'fan'atical opinions of the players we like or don't like.

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Actually, I doubt he would have too much trouble finding banks willing to lend him money, which is how he is likely paying for the three houses. However, you still have to pay the mortgage payments, utilities, big parties NFL big shots are supposed to play, etc.

You have to realize that a banker will look at his W2 and his salary (which si $2 million this year), not base their decision on our 'fan'atical opinions of the players we like or don't like.

I suspect that is part of the reason being house poor, he is in a cash flow issue to many bankers screwed the pooch already betting on the come line..

Well since I'm just looking at it as a business man.. knowing the likely hood based on his past actions he may be unpaid for much of the upcoming year I would not do it unless I had any access/liens on his holdings..

you also have to realize that of the 2.2 mil he is supposed to get the fed, state and now his property taxes to the counties where he has houses are likely to get a HUGE part of that money..

T.K.O.
07-03-2009, 03:42 PM

true however said "banker" would also look at the possibility of a suspension and or hold out.
banks arent taking the risks they were a couple years ago
not saying he wont get paid from somebody but his future is more up in the air than some may think
when you have alot of existing debt its hard to get loans,and none of us knows the current status of what he owes.
maybe he's been counting on that big payday and already maxed out his credit?
either way i wish we would just give him that big extension with the "trouble clauses" and be done with it !
enough drama for 1 offseason already......lets get down to the basics of making this a playoff team again !!!!!!!!

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
true however said "banker" would also look at the possibility of a suspension and or hold out.
banks arent taking the risks they were a couple years ago
not saying he wont get paid from somebody but his future is more up in the air than some may think
when you have alot of existing debt its hard to get loans,and none of us knows the current status of what he owes.
maybe he's been counting on that big payday and already maxed out his credit?
either way i wish we would just give him that big extension with the "trouble clauses" and be done with it !
enough drama for 1 offseason already......lets get down to the basics of making this a playoff team again !!!!!!!!

as the article said it is also rumored the Pat is not planing on spending any more more this coming year..:salute:

which considering the economy would be a wise thing to do.. :salute:

I know I am not spending anything more than I have to at this point..:mad:

marshall should get his ass back to DEN and earn the money he is due.. so far he is about 18-20 practice sessions behind the rest of the current WR except Brandon #3 (Lloyd)....

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Two Words 'Federal Bailout'

Okay seriously, his play deserves better pay.

If it were truly character that was the chief concern for FO in regards to the makeup of their players, then they should cut their entire roster, and sign the Peace Corps intramural flag football team.

Foochacho
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Wonder how much money he has had to pay his lawyers over the years? If he is broke he better start reporting to anything that is mandatory, last thing he needs is thousands of dollars worth of fines.

BroncoWave
07-03-2009, 05:47 PM
If it were truly character that was the chief concern for FO in regards to the makeup of their players, then they should cut their entire roster, and sign the Peace Corps intramural flag football team.

It's not about BM being a bad character guy, it's about that bad character being one bad incident away from completely screwing over the team. What sense does it make to give someone an enormous deal who is one incident away from being gone half the season when he hasn't proven that he can go a whole year without being arrested for a dispute with a girlfriend?

Superchop 7
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Get a money manager you idiot.

horsepig
07-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Me thinks BM don't know too much about handling $$$$.

Northman
07-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Here's an idea, sell two of your houses.

Northman
07-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Two Words 'Federal Bailout'

Okay seriously, his play deserves better pay.

What are you saying? That the entire football team slaps around their wives and girlfriends?

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Here's an idea, sell two of your houses.

Hopefully one of them isn't the one in Denver

Sorry I couldn't resist :elefant:

frauschieze
07-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Smack forum is thattaway ----------->

BroncoAV06
07-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Smack forum is thattaway ----------->

I would call that frustration.

Don't you have to take a risk in this situation? "IF"'a big if you can get a contract done with clauses in it that would take some of the blow away if he were to have more legal issues the Broncos would only take a slight hit money wise and everyone thinks we will be fine without him so that should not be a big deal then right? I find it hard that the Broncos would be so money in a situation like that.

You can talk about character, team, system all you want but the only thing we know for sure is that Royal and Marshall produce. Defense/special teams all have to prove themselves this season so why not give Orton another weapon with an actual running game.

Northman
07-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Don't you have to take a risk in this situation? "IF"'a big if you can get a contract done with clauses in it that would take some of the blow away if he were to have more legal issues the Broncos would only take a slight hit money wise and everyone thinks we will be fine without him so that should not be a big deal then right? I find it hard that the Broncos would be so money in a situation like that.

You can talk about character, team, system all you want but the only thing we know for sure is that Royal and Marshall produce. Defense/special teams all have to prove themselves this season so why not give Orton another weapon with an actual running game.

How do you know that he hasnt already been offered a contract with clauses and he simply turned it down?

BroncoAV06
07-03-2009, 08:38 PM
How do you know that he hasnt already been offered a contract with clauses and he simply turned it down?

I don't, just my opinion. This off season its really hard to know what is actually going on in Denver.

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
What are you saying? That the entire football team slaps around their wives and girlfriends?

It was tongue in cheek exaggeration to illustrate that in the end talent is what teams value the most.

BroncoWave
07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
It was tongue in cheek exaggeration to illustrate that in the end talent is what teams value the most.

Marshall's talent won't do us any good if he gets suspended again, which is why Denver is in no haste to give him a huge raise. This is what you fail to understand.

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Marshall's talent won't do us any good if he gets suspended again, which is why Denver is in no haste to give him a huge raise. This is what you fail to understand.

No, it boils down to this, "Is Brandon to be seen as a long term piece of the Denver Broncos puzzle?"

If he is, pay/extend him.

If he isn't (if this is the case-Denver wont match offers made him as a RFA) deal him now while you can receive some value for him.

If they don't see him in their long term plans, and just decide to let him play out his last season, at the end of the season when his contract is up, they wont have anything, and he will be gone.

On a side note, this whole "Brandon needs to prove he can stay out of trouble, then he will get paid" theory is pure speculation. The team hasn't made any statements that this was their stance.

He has maximum trade value now-no big cap hit, and he is fresh off of back to back 100 catch seasons, with the pro-bowls to boot.

His value isn't hurting due to his off field activities. It has more to do with the fact that their are 2 other elite wide outs available in FA or via trade. It has more to do with supply and demand, than it does with fears of Marshall's off field conduct.

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 09:54 PM
No, it boils down to this, "Is Brandon to be seen as a long term piece of the Denver Broncos puzzle?"

If he is, pay/extend him.

If he isn't (if this is the case-Denver wont match offers made him as a RFA) deal him now while you can receive some value for him.

If they don't see him in their long term plans, and just decide to let him play out his last season, at the end of the season when his contract is up, they wont have anything, and he will be gone.

On a side note, this whole "Brandon needs to prove he can stay out of trouble, then he will get paid" theory is pure speculation. The team hasn't made any statements that this was their stance.

He has maximum trade value now-no big cap hit, and he is fresh off of back to back 100 catch seasons, with the pro-bowls to boot.

His value isn't hurting due to his off field activities. It has more to do with the fact that their are 2 other elite wide outs available in FA or via trade. It has more to do with supply and demand, than it does with fears of Marshall's off field conduct.

you raise good point does he fit into DEN long range plans, but it does not matter (SEE BELOW)..

since as it stands mar$hall is a RFA till the end of 2011.. so even if we give him a #1 pick status we can match the offer or get their #1 choice should anyone decide to give him a huge contract..

that is what is know as sitting in the cat birds seat.. as it stands he has to play for pay or sit out the season and be accumulating big fines.. if he is indeed in a money crunch as stated in the rumors he is screwed.. and DEN has all the leverage.. they do not have to do anything but allow him into camp if he is not PUP when training camp comes around and if he does report he has already racked up $35K in fines for missing the last camp..

if they decide to trade him they can indeed wait for the BEST OFFER.. right now his face shield has written in white shoe polish #1 OBO..

SoCalImport
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM

So, let him sit out. He'll eventually realize it's time to shut up and play or lose all hope of a big contract with ANY TEAM.
Then if B.Marsh manages another big #'s season, Tag him. THEN trade him if that's what's gonna happen (eg: He still wants out) He'll be worth more in trade at that point having "stayed out of trouble" for a whole season.

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 10:51 PM
you raise good point does he fit into DEN long range plans, but it does not matter (SEE BELOW)..

since as it stands mar$hall is a RFA till the end of 2011.. so even if we give him a #1 pick status we can match the offer or get their #1 choice should anyone decide to give him a huge contract..

that is what is know as sitting in the cat birds seat.. as it stands he has to play for pay or sit out the season and be accumulating big fines.. if he is indeed in a money crunch as stated in the rumors he is screwed.. and DEN has all the leverage.. they do not have to do anything but allow him into camp if he is not PUP when training camp comes around and if he does report he has already racked up $35K in fines for missing the last camp..

if they decide to trade him they can indeed wait for the BEST OFFER.. right now his face shield has written in white shoe polish #1 OBO..

That's if Next season goes without a CBA.

I think they will extend the current one by a year if both sides cant completely iron a new one out in time

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 11:19 PM
That's if Next season goes without a CBA.

I think they will extend the current one by a year if both sides cant completely iron a new one out in time

the owners either get a full blown new one or they go without.. the owners are taking it in the shorts giving 60% of the revenue to the players..

they are not backing off of this one.. they have the players by the short hairs right now.. the class of 2006 and younger are being held captive> they will not get new contracts and they will be RFA for the next two years atleast..

Since the average life span of a NFL player is about 4.5 years, lots of them are going to vote for almost any change the owners want to give them..IMO

ursamajor
07-04-2009, 12:18 AM
the owners either get a full blown new one or they go without.. the owners are taking it in the shorts giving 60% of the revenue to the players..

they are not backing off of this one.. they have the players by the short hairs right now.. the class of 2006 and younger are being held captive> they will not get new contracts and they will be RFA for the next two years atleast..

Since the average life span of a NFL player is about 4.5 years, lots of them are going to vote for almost any change the owners want to give them..IMO

I seriously doubt they have them by the 'short hairs'. I dont think they want another strike

Lonestar
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I seriously doubt they have them by the 'short hairs'. I dont think they want another strike

they have them just where they want them.. considering the average life span in the NFL is 4.5 years. they now have about 50% and growing of the players about to become UFA and are now RFA till the end of 2011.. that is getting super cheap players till then.. and all of those folks where and are looking for big paydays..

The owners are in the drivers seat on this one.. the players can't afford to strike and if they do most teams will bring in other talent to play not counting the players who will cross the picket lines..

strikes almost NEVER work out for the members they always lose more than they make in the deal.. and since most of the NFL players will not be playing in 5 years they want their money NOW..

not like auto workers who will be there for 30+ years.. and are looking for retirement and medical..

rcsodak
07-04-2009, 01:01 AM

Well, Tned...as I'm sure you're aware, W2's are from the Preceding year....not the current.
And his $2M is based on him PLAYING! Hardly comforting for a bank, especially these days.

Frankly, he'd prolly have a better shot at a loan if he were working for minimum wage.... :coffee:

Shazam!
07-04-2009, 01:06 AM
The more rumors that fly around about Marshall, the less I like him.

rcsodak
07-04-2009, 01:18 AM
The more rumors that fly around about Marshall, the less I like him.
I started getting that feeling when he started digging in his pants for his TD prop. :coffee:

sneakers
07-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Some of these guys graduate from college, and they don't know how to balance a checkbook.

SoCalImport
07-04-2009, 07:29 AM
what's a checkbook?

Tned
07-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, Tned...as I'm sure you're aware, W2's are from the Preceding year....not the current.
And his $2M is based on him PLAYING! Hardly comforting for a bank, especially these days.

Frankly, he'd prolly have a better shot at a loan if he were working for minimum wage.... :coffee:

I'm painfully aware of how our income is reported and taxed.

I'm just saying I think it is highly unlikely he would have trouble going to a bank, showing the $1.5 million he has had in the last 3 years, a contract showing he will make $2 million plus this year and not be able to get a loan.

A banker isn't going to be reading BroncosForums, rotoworld or other rumor sites speculating about whether or not Marshall would holdout for 10 games. Even if he did, he would still get something like 6/16ths of his $2 million plus salary (minus some training camp fines), so would still have his highest earning year to date, to the tune of between $600-800k.

Bankers are about making money and relationships. When they have a guy that has averaged $500k a year in income, will take in between $600k and $2million plus this year, and will likely start making $6-10 million a year in another year or two, they will be lining up to create the relationship now on his VERY good, income, so that they will get to work with him when he has the multi-million dollar annual income.

T.K.O.
07-04-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm just saying I think it is highly unlikely he would have trouble going to a bank, showing the $1.5 million he has had in the last 3 years, a contract showing he will make $2 million plus this year and not be able to get a loan.

A banker isn't going to be reading BroncosForums, rotoworld or other rumor sites speculating about whether or not Marshall would holdout for 10 games. Even if he did, he would still get something like 6/16ths of his $2 million plus salary (minus some training camp fines), so would still have his highest earning year to date, to the tune of between $600-800k.

Bankers are about making money and relationships. When they have a guy that has averaged $500k a year in income, will take in between $600k and $2million plus this year, and will likely start making $6-10 million a year in another year or two, they will be lining up to create the relationship now on his VERY good, income, so that they will get to work with him when he has the multi-million dollar annual income.

all true but you fail to consider his current debt, its quite possible he has extended himself well beyond his ability to repay already.
he and his creditors may have assumed he would get his big payday already and he has'nt
also his 3 homes have likely depreciated a great deal and he may be "upside down " on those loans as well.

Shazam!
07-04-2009, 01:59 PM
It just shows how bad a lack of leadership by example is when you have too few of those types of players on the team. It proves how diluted this became over the years. Instead of having a Rod Smith-type as a role model vet for BM, he has Jay, which would show him if you whine and bitch enough and not be a team player, you can get what you want and the 'I'm bigger than the team' type of mentality that McDaniels is trying to get rid of.

Lonestar
07-04-2009, 02:07 PM
It just shows how bad a lack of leadership by example is when you have too few of those types of players on the team. It proves how diluted this became over the years. Instead of having a Rod Smith-type as a role model vet for BM, he has Jay, which would show him if you whine and bitch enough and not be a team player, you can get what you want and the 'I'm bigger than the team' type of mentality that McDaniels is trying to get rid of.

This Is IMO the essence of this situation..

no one player is bigger than the TEAM.. nice to have, but normally detrimental to the focus of the TEAM..

hopefully he will figure it out soon and be the player we all hope he can be..

Shazam!
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
The only man ever bigger than the team was John Elway and we may never see a player of that caliber in our lifetimes in a Broncos uniform. They're almost all sacrificial at this point, especially after Cutler. If they can survive and contend without him and McD pulls it together all bets are off the table.

rcsodak
07-05-2009, 02:02 AM

You talk like BM is some great money making person, tned....

.....I'd say hardly!

If it's true about his money problems, I'd say after looking at his financials, that a banker might actually balk at giving him any more money....
...at least without out him putting up something for collateral!

But what the hell do I know.....

...my neighbor is a self employed plumber...having just filed CH7 7mos ago.....and just showed up with a $18k boat.

:coffee:

horsepig
07-05-2009, 09:36 AM

I agree AV, this BS only goes so far. We had a very good offense that couldn't get it done in the red zone. Does that mean that all the players are/were bad?

Hell no, they cannot continue to just take this team apart. Defense, yeah, but the O was headed in the right direction. Hillis is the bruiser we've lacked (he also can be a 15 carry TB on my team) and things look pretty good there.

The defense is right out of the "twilight zone" now. Who frickin knows.

LRtagger
07-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I dont get it...even if he gets the trade he requested there is no guarantee that he gets a big contract this year even with a new team...actually it is very unlikely he gets one even if he is traded.

Nomad
07-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont get it...even if he gets the trade he requested there is no guarantee that he gets a big contract this year even with a new team...actually it is very unlikely he gets one even if he is traded.

You're probably right! What's Marshall going to do then when the other team doesn't give him a big contract until he proves he can still play at the level he did before the surgeries and if he can remain out of trouble.

Looking at the thread title, it would seem the BRONCOS have the upper hand in this one situation. Marshall won't get paid and will actually be paying fines so it's a no win for him. I have no sympathy for people who go broke when they make a living like this. I was listening to FSR the other day and they were speaking of the expenses some pro athletes have and it's mind blowing for an average family like mine. I understand they make alot more than I do but everyone has to put money away for tough situations. And pro athletes and hollywood stars are just niave to the fact!!!!

Lonestar
07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
You're probably right! What's Marshall going to do then when the other team doesn't give him a big contract until he proves he can still play at the level he did before the surgeries and if he can remain out of trouble.

Looking at the thread title, it would seem the BRONCOS have the upper hand in this one situation. Marshall won't get paid and will actually be paying fines so it's a no win for him. I have no sympathy for people who go broke when they make a living like this. I was listening to FSR the other day and they were speaking of the expenses some pro athletes have and it's mind blowing for an average family like mine. I understand they make alot more than I do but everyone has to put money away for tough situations. And pro athletes and hollywood stars are just niave to the fact!!!!

It is just a WAG for me that anyone that trades for him will indeed give him a huge contract as they are going to be desperate after giving a #1 or more for him..

there is always a moron owner like al, jerry or daniel out there that knows more than their GM does..

we all know as does he Xman is in the cat birds seat:

he can't talk to anyone nor can any team talk to him or it is tampering.

he has a valid contract in DEN..

if he sets out TC he does not become a UFA IF the CBA is fixed by the EOS this year..

if the do not get a new CBA he is a RFA till the end of 2011..

if he is a RFA we will place a #1 tender on him and have the right to match..

if he does not report he is fined daily..

he has already saved the Broncos 35K in salary cap this year..

Now what strong points does he have?

still waiting to hear one or see one....

note my sig..

broncohead
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM

I would say he would get a new contract. A big contract? No but probably bigger then what we would offer. If a team trades for him they know he only has 1 year left on the current contract so they would want to try and extend.

Simple Jaded
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Why is PFT posting rumors about money making the Broncos decisions? It's just wild speculation and fact-less hate spewing.

What a troll.......

MOtorboat
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
It's just wild speculation and fact-less hate spewing.

What a troll.......

lol

LTC Pain
07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
BM is broke.......between his ears! :listen:

rcsodak
07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
I had a really good BM this morning.

:couch:

T.K.O.
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I had a really good BM this morning.