PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2012 NFL Team Preview - Broncos

EmDiggy
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_n6_f_rZc

Good afternoon Broncos fans! Here's my Season Preview for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

SoCalImport
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
very nicely done, as usual. great timing too because I am FEINDING for some football.

two criticisms. I'm not sure why Walton has to have an "all pro" type season. He just needs to be better.

Also: 3rd in the AFC west?!?! Are you serious??

NightTerror218
07-09-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4_n6_f_rZc

Good afternoon Broncos fans! Here's my Season Preview for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

Em,

How do you figure we are 3rd in the AFC West? Last season AFC West was 8-8 across the board basically. Our defense was not great but as you pointed out we have upgraded it a good amount with players coming back from injury and new players. Upgrade at the Qb position and more experience for a fairly young team.

I would agree that it could be tough with KC. But honestly do you think that Cassel can carry that team? If you compare the KC and Den offenses, they both were strong rushing teams but look at QB position, who would you put your money on?

SD lost VJ and he was always a problem, Gates is not getting any younger, their line was horrible last season. SD is trending down and have not really shown signs that is can get back to that level.

BroncoWave
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
It really does blow my mind how anyone have us finishing 3rd in the division. Yes our division is tough, but we only have 2 teams different in our schedule than the other teams in our division. Not a huge difference. We bring back most of the starters from a division winning team and hugely upgrade at the QB position but people think we will regress? That just doesn't make sense to me. It makes no sense to put a team other than the Broncos as the division favorites.

NightTerror218
07-09-2012, 05:50 PM
It really does blow my mind how anyone have us finishing 3rd in the division. Yes our division is tough, but we only have 2 teams different in our schedule than the other teams in our division. Not a huge difference. We bring back most of the starters from a division winning team and hugely upgrade at the QB position but people think we will regress? That just doesn't make sense to me. It makes no sense to put a team other than the Broncos as the division favorites.

Huge upgrades to the secondary too.

BroncoWave
07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Huge upgrades to the secondary too.

And at TE. I just don't see where we are worse. Maybe a LB while DJ is out but that's really it.

I get the argument of Berry and Charles coming back for KC, but their QB is still Cassel.

NightTerror218
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
And at TE. I just don't see where we are worse. Maybe a LB while DJ is out but that's really it.

I get the argument of Berry and Charles coming back for KC, but their QB is still Cassel.

IMO KC had a better roster last season. But we took bigger strides with Manning, Porter, Adams. Not to mention like Em said we have Warren and Big Vick back who were suppose to be starters last season.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
The Broncos and Giants have the hardest schedule in the league by far, they could be in 3rd place before they hit their bye week?

Wait? Did this EmDiggy dude just mention Kevin Vickerson and ProBowl in the same sentence? Cool beans.......

BroncoWave
07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
The Broncos and Giants have the hardest schedule in the league by far, they could be in 3rd place before they hit their bye week.......

We play TWO different teams than the other teams in our division. TWO. If we find a way to split those games we'll be fine.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2012, 07:44 PM
We play TWO different teams than the other teams in our division. TWO. If we find a way to split those games we'll be fine.

It's the timing and location that makes the difference, imo.......

SR
07-09-2012, 07:46 PM

KC also lost Carr

EmDiggy
07-09-2012, 11:55 PM
very nicely done, as usual. great timing too because I am FEINDING for some football.

two criticisms. I'm not sure why Walton has to have an "all pro" type season. He just needs to be better.

Also: 3rd in the AFC west?!?! Are you serious??

Thanks Buddy! I made the statement about Walton & Clady because they can't have any leakage up front because of the extra precaution wit Manning. Blind side pressure (Clady) and Middle Pressure (Walton) will be tough for Manning to get out of because of the injury concern.. Until he takes that first hit, then its a question mark.

Em,

How do you figure we are 3rd in the AFC West? Last season AFC West was 8-8 across the board basically. Our defense was not great but as you pointed out we have upgraded it a good amount with players coming back from injury and new players. Upgrade at the Qb position and more experience for a fairly young team.

I would agree that it could be tough with KC. But honestly do you think that Cassel can carry that team? If you compare the KC and Den offenses, they both were strong rushing teams but look at QB position, who would you put your money on?

SD lost VJ and he was always a problem, Gates is not getting any younger, their line was horrible last season. SD is trending down and have not really shown signs that is can get back to that level.

I don't think Cassel can get it done. He's average imho. But the way the Chiefs are buitl: Run Game, Defense, Special Teams.. he will be put in a situation like he was in 2010 where he was pretty much told to not screw it up. SD still has defensive question but offensively, they can score...and you still need points to win ball games. I think until the OL proves it can pass block, the running game proves it can survive without a mobile QB taking that extra guy out of the box then its a 3rd place finish in my book for the Broncos

Yes you upgrade at QB, but you also change the dynamics of why the team was successful. Having a mobile QB like a Tim Tebow/VY/Vick dictates defensive coverage. Teams are reluctant to play man because of the threat of the run..which also limits the type of games & stunts you can run up front on the LOS..thus enabling the offense to put up huge rushing numbers and throw to wide open WRs. Yes Manning is better, but now the rest of the offense has to catch up skill wise outside of a few players. Mobile QBs mask a lot of an offense's deficiencies

True Cassel is still Cassel..he's going to be the best handoff QB in the league. His passes will mostly come off play-action and short routes

IMO KC had a better roster last season. But we took bigger strides with Manning, Porter, Adams. Not to mention like Em said we have Warren and Big Vick back who were suppose to be starters last season.

Keep an eye on Porter.. I'm a Saints fan and Porter has yet to finish a season healthy... Hopefully Bolden develops and moves Porter to Nickel where he can maximize his talents

SR
07-10-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks Buddy! I made the statement about Walton & Clady because they can't have any leakage up front because of the extra precaution wit Manning. Blind side pressure (Clady) and Middle Pressure (Walton) will be tough for Manning to get out of because of the injury concern.. Until he takes that first hit, then its a question mark.

What injury concern?

It amazes me how people that are considered "smart" on the Broncos are so ignorant to Manning's neck.

Timmy!
07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Injury concern? Oh u mean the nerve damage in the neck....might want to looking that a bit before thinking Manning is any more prone to injury than any other QB.

The dynamic of the offense will change yes, for the better. No more 8 in the box to focus on the run all game long. Our offense will include the forward pass, which is a good thing.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
KC also lost Carr

They lost their pass-catching TE.. Tony Moeaki, as well. The chiefs lost a LOT of their top talent VERY early in (or before) the season last year.

But they still have Cassel

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Not only is Manning's neck not an "injury concern"....but I believe that although we won't have Tebow's rushing yardage to add to our totals, I don't believe our running game decreases. Last year people were able to stack the LoS because they didn't respect the pass threat from neither Orton, nor Tebow. Now there is no way they can stack against the run with Manning throwing the ball. Thats going to help our running game, imo.

TheReverend
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the laugh

SR
07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
They lost their pass-catching TE.. Tony Moeaki, as well. The chiefs lost a LOT of their top talent VERY early in (or before) the season last year.

I meant in the off-season. Carr is no longer a Chef.

CrazyHorse
07-10-2012, 11:08 AM
3rd in the AFC West? I say barring injury problems we at least get a wild card.

underrated29
07-10-2012, 11:54 AM
KC also lost Carr

Which is a HUGE loss, especially when they replaced him with Stanford "ill let the receiver run any" Routte. KC still has a nasty defense, but nothing we cannot overcome anylonger now. Flowers is a stud and can cover, same with berry. But we still have stokes, tamme, dressen, and knowshon and or hillman out of the backfield. KC is in trouble until they fix their QB issues.

MasterShake
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm just going to assume this video was a mistake and he meant 3rd Seed instead of 3rd place. I personally can't wait for a few playoff games at Mile High again.

*Holds Hands Over Ears*

LALALALALALALALA!

Mike
07-10-2012, 01:16 PM

And Crennel. Bowe still hasn't signed as well.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
And Crennel. Bowe still hasn't signed as well.

I think Weiss was a MUCH MUCH more important coach to their staff than any of the rest of them. I was so happy when Weiss left our division to coach college again.

NightTerror218
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Not to mention SD took a huge loss of Tolbert and VJ departing. Gates has not been amazing either. I think the offense is going to drop off a little.

Cugel
07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Denver certainly COULD finish 3rd in the division, but only due to a rash of unexpected injuries to key players. And Manning is not likely to be one of them.

If Manning is only 80% of the player he was in 2010 he still would have over 3,200 yards passing and 25 TDs -- instead of over 4,000 and 31 TDs. That would be enough.

As for KC, we saw last year how important having an elite QB is in the NFL instead of Matt Cassel. The Giants are basically a .500 team and proved it through most of last season -- until Eli Manning lifted the team onto his back and carried them to a SB championship.

If your QB is better than the other guy's QB in this league you are going to win most of the time, given even a mediocre supporting cast. Peyton Manning's entire career was spent going to the playoffs with very mediocre teams, not any better than the current Broncos.

He won the SB the one time he actually had some good play on defense for the entire playoffs. I will be surprised if Denver doesn't win the division and at least 10 games. That will mean a home playoff game and a good chance to advance at least to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Then it would come down to how well the Broncos match up against that 2nd round team to determine whether they can advance to the Conference Championship.

Cugel
07-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Not to mention SD took a huge loss of Tolbert and VJ departing. Gates has not been amazing either. I think the offense is going to drop off a little.

Their entire team outside of Phillip Rivers has suffered a serious talent decline from 4 or 5 years ago when they had an elite team.

They have lost: Jamal Williams, L.T., Darren Sproles, Vincent Jackson, Shawne Merriman and Tolbert. Every one of them was an elite playmaker. They have not replaced any of them with comparable talent.

NightTerror218
07-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Their entire team outside of Phillip Rivers has suffered a serious talent decline from 4 or 5 years ago when they had an elite team.

They have lost: Jamal Williams, L.T., Darren Sproles, Vincent Jackson, Shawne Merriman and Tolbert. Every one of them was an elite playmaker. They have not replaced any of them with comparable talent.

They have Rivers, Mathews and Floyd. I am not happy with Royal there. But those 4 players are the entire offense.

SR
07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Matthews will be a monster once he gets the whole staying healthy thing down

underrated29
07-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Knowshon moreno

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Not to mention, Micheal Turner

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM

Eh... maybe. I think he's an average back, with average speed. I've not yet been very impressed with him.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Knowshon moreno

Moreno will NEVER be a monster

SR
07-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Eh... maybe. I think he's an average back, with average speed. I've not yet been very impressed with him.

I loved him in college and coming out of the draft. Secretly I've been rooting for him to break out. So far he has looked very average, but he has the ability to be very good.

topscribe
07-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Yes you upgrade at QB, but you also change the dynamics of why the team was successful. Having a mobile QB like a Tim Tebow/VY/Vick dictates defensive coverage. Teams are reluctant to play man because of the threat of the run..which also limits the type of games & stunts you can run up front on the LOS..thus enabling the offense to put up huge rushing numbers and throw to wide open WRs. Yes Manning is better, but now the rest of the offense has to catch up skill wise outside of a few players. Mobile QBs mask a lot of an offense's deficiencies

Yes, Em, but understand that Tebow caused a lot of offensive deficiencies.
For pass blocking, all I have to do is to look back to 2008 and see what they
did. They had what many thought was one of the better lines in football, and
Clady, Kuper, and Harris were on that line. Between them and Manning's quick
release, I'm not worried about pass blocking.

I'm also not worried about the running game. As you noted in your analysis,
the Broncos do have quality RBs, and the run blocking is the line's strength.
Plus, the passing threat will keep that extra safety out of the box, who was
there almost full time last year.

I personally don't see anybody in the AFCW staying with the Broncos. The
reason the Broncos won the Division last year was their defense, despite the
inept offense. Now they have a better defense and an unstoppable offense.
The only reason I can see of a failure this year is Peyton's health, which you
mentioned. But I have to believe Peyton and the doctors, who unanimously
gave him a bill of health.

My compliments on your production, Em. It was informative and entertaining.
Well done. 1502

xzn
07-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Broncos with Manning healthy = Division Champs easily, sleeper contenders

Broncos with Manning injured = Division cellar looking at top ten draft picks

Stay healthy Peyton!

topscribe
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Yes, and they have to come back healthy for KC. They have a bunch of players
coming back from serious injuries.

TXBRONC
07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Great job as usual Em. :salute:

I get what about running the ball and how that can effect coverage. IIRC Denver was facing defenses that were putting 8 or more guys in box on pretty regular basis. That was because they didn't have a lot of fear of Tebow being able to get the ball down field consistently. With Manning at the helm that becomes less of a problem because defensive coordinators are going be concerned about Manning beating over the top. That in turn can help the run game.

Simple Jaded
07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
"Yes you upgrade at QB, but you also change the dynamics of why the team was successful"-- EmDiggy

Successful? No, they changed the dynamic of why the offense was so easy to defend and utterly unwatchable.......