PDA

View Full Version : NBA Signings

Denver Native (Carol)
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/02/ariza.rockets.ap/index.html

Source: Rockets agree on multiyear deal with Ariza

Posted Jul 2 2009 11:17PM

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Rockets have reached a multiyear deal with free agent Trevor Ariza, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Thursday night.

The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because NBA rules prohibit announcing free-agent deals until next week, said the Rockets offered Ariza the full mid-level exception for the first year, about $5.6 million.

Ariza is coming to Houston just as Ron Artest decided to leave and play for the Los Angeles Lakers. Ariza is likely to take Artest's spot in the Rockets' starting lineup.

The 6-foot-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season, which ended with the NBA championship.

The 24-year-old Ariza earned $3.1 million last season and he boosted his value during the playoffs, when he averaged 11.3 points, 4.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists.

Ariza was acquired by the Lakers in a trade from Orlando in November 2007. He just completed his fifth NBA season after being drafted by the New York Knicks with the 43rd overall pick in 2004.

Ariza said after the Lakers' championship run that he was hoping to stay there. But his agent, David Lee, told KRIV-TV in Houston that Ariza got the impression that the Lakers didn't want him anymore.

"It was never about the money," Lee said. "It was about being at a place where he felt wanted and appreciated."

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey did not immediately return a phone message on Thursday night.

He flew to Las Vegas on Thursday to meet with Ariza, a sign that he was already expecting Artest to leave.

The Rockets will need Ariza's versatility and perimeter shooting early next season, because they know they'll be missing Tracy McGrady for the bulk of next season. The seven-time All-Star is recovering from microfracture surgery on his left knee and could be out until February.

The Rockets are also awaiting a definitive prognosis on Yao, who sustained a hairline fracture in his left foot in the playoffs. Morey made an aggressive pitch to free agent center Marcin Gortat shortly after the free agency period began on Wednesday.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/02/artest.lakers/index.html

The Los Angeles Lakers are not content to stand pat in defense of their latest championship.

They reached an agreement Thursday with Houston Rockets free agent forward Ron Artest on a five-year deal using the team's mid-level exception that would pay Artest a little more $32 million based on last season's mid-level amount of $5.585 million. Artest will have an out in the contract after the fourth season, according to a source, and will be allowed to make the contract into a three-year deal if he changes his mind between now and next Wednesday, the first official day that players can sign contracts for the 2009-10 season.

The 29-year-old Artest might be inclined to go for a shorter deal to give him the chance at another contract after this one expires. By signing for three years, Artest would regain his "Larry Bird" rights, which allow a team to go over the salary cap in order to re-sign its own players and pay those players an additional year's salary. That would also apply if Artest wanted to leave the Lakers after three years; he'd get an additional year if the Lakers agreed to a sign-and-trade deal for him.

If he took fewer years, Artest would also be gambling that the economy will improve by the time his Lakers contract expires, allowing him to make up some of the money he'd be sacrificing at the front end of the deal.

But the big news is that Artest is bringing his unique skill sets--and his unique, quirky, occasionally dangerous life--to a Lakers team that was mostly free of drama this past season en route to the franchise's 15th NBA championship.

"Ron's really excited," said his agent, David Bauman, "really jazzed. He's looking forward to playing with a winner."

Assuming Phil Jackson comes back for the final year of his contract, dealing with Artest will be a challenge for Jackson much like Dennis Rodman, who joined the Bulls for the second half of that team's six titles in eight seasons in the 1990s.

Other contending teams like the Cavaliers tried hard to woo Artest, but the opportunity to play in Los Angeles, with its potential ancillary opportunities for income, was a large factor in his decision to go with the Lakers.

On the court, the Lakers are adding one of the league's top on-ball defenders to their team, teaming Artest and Kobe Bryant, who've had their own individual battles over the years. The two have the potential to be a top perimeter defensive duo, much as Artest and Houston's Shane Battier had great success in tandem this past season.

Artest was actually close to reaching an agreement on a contract extension last week with the Rockets, but those plans were thrown into uncertainty when Houston learned that center Yao Ming's injured foot wasn't healing at all, and might keep him out for part or all of next season. Not knowing Yao's short-term or long-term future with the Rockets made them less enticing to Artest, even though Houston could, and did, offer him more money to stay.

Agreeing to terms with Artest effectively ends the Lakers' pursuit of their own free agent small forward, Trevor Ariza, who was not interested in re-signing for the mid-level amount. Ironically, Ariza was meeting with the Rockets in Las Vegas on Thursday while Artest was agreeing to take his old job with Los Angeles.

The Lakers bombarded Artest with all manner of communication.

Bryant, who'd gotten into numerous trash-talking on-court spats with Artest over the last couple of seasons, sent Artest numerous texts since the start of the negotiating period Wednesday morning. Hall of Fame great Magic Johnson called Artest on Wednesday as well. And Artest had lunch this afternoon with Lakers majority owner Jerry Buss.

He was already inclined toward Los Angeles. He'd expressed great interest in going to the Lakers near the end of his stay with the Kings, and was courtside during last year's Finals between Los Angeles and Boston.

The Lakers are the latest among the NBA's elite class to make a major talent acquisition since the end of The Finals. The Cavaliers, who lost in the Eastern Conference finals to Orlando, formally introduced center Shaquille O'Neal, picked up from Phoenix a week ago, to their fans in Cleveland yesterday. The Magic, which lost to the Lakers in the Finals, traded for eight-time All-Star guard Vince Carter on draft night. The Spurs picked up forward Richard Jefferson from the Bucks; the Celtics, Spurs and Magic all are in hot pursuit of Pistons free agent big man Rasheed Wallace.

Boston lead owner Wyc Grousbeck, general manager Danny Ainge, head coach Doc Rivers, Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce all went to Detroit on Thursday to formally present Wallace with an offer for the full mid-level exception. But they left town without Wallace agreeing to a deal. Wallace will visit San Antonio and Orlando next week, according to a source, before making up his mind. Wallace is not likely to visit Cleveland.

Magnificent Seven
07-02-2009, 10:58 PM
They signed Artest because Cleveland got Shaq. The world is expecting to see Lakers vs. Cavs in NBA Championship games for 2010.

CoachChaz
07-06-2009, 08:20 AM
They signed Artest because Cleveland got Shaq. The world is expecting to see Lakers vs. Cavs in NBA Championship games for 2010.

Until something happens to prove otherwise, I think the odds are heavily in favor of this happening

SoCalImport
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
As an LA fan let me be the first on here to say...I'd rather have kept Ariza.

MOtorboat
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
As an LA fan let me be the first on here to say...I'd rather have kept Ariza.

Why, by signing Artest, you've now officially removed the only defender in the league that has given Kobe any real significant problems.

EMB6903
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Why, by signing Artest, you've now officially removed the only defender in the league that has given Kobe any real significant problems.

not really, Artest was rarely on Kobe during his time in Houston and in that western conference semi's Battier matched up on Kobe. Not to mention the extra luggage Artest brings with him... It will be interesting to see how those two play together... Both demand the ball a ton offensively to be effective, I wouldnt be shocked if it was a bust personally.

I'd also go with Ariza at 24 that showed tons of upside in the triangle offense over Artest as well.

I wouldnt be too down if I was a Houston fan about swapping Ariza for Artest.

BroncoAV06
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
not really, Artest was rarely on Kobe during his time in Houston and in that western conference semi's Battier matched up on Kobe. Not to mention the extra luggage Artest brings with him... It will be interesting to see how those two play together... Both demand the ball a ton offensively to be effective, I wouldnt be shocked if it was a bust personally.

I'd also go with Ariza at 24 that showed tons of upside in the triangle offense over Artest as well.

I wouldnt be too down if I was a Houston fan about swapping Ariza for Artest.

Sure Artest has had a past but can Kobe/Jackson not reel him in? I think Artest will blend in well, he does not demand the ball a ton to be effective, he is always around the top in steals and grabs boards, just plays an all around game.

Hedo to Toronto and Wallace to the Celtics.

EMB6903
07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
good thing Hedo signed with Toronto... Portland would have been that much deeper had they signed him.

Great news!

Denver needs to try and sign Grant Hill... Also would love to try and trade for Tyson Chandler as well so they can move Nene into his original position where he over powers every PF in this league.... Hes so much more productive offensively playing at the 4 instead of the 5.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/05/wallace.celtics/index.html

For Rasheed Wallace, the lure of playing with Boston's superstar-laden lineup was just too much to pass up.

The Celtics have reached an agreement with Wallace on a two-year deal for the mid-level exception, which was $5.585 million last season and is expected to rise for the 2009-10 season. Figures for all salary cap exceptions and the cap itself will be finalized this week after the league and the Players' Association complete their audit of league finances.

Wallace played the last six seasons with the Detroit Pistons, where he won an NBA championship in 2004. He heads to a Celtics team loaded with veterans such as Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and hoping to make at least one more title run.

Wallace was in the process of scheduling visits to San Antonio, Orlando and Dallas this week. But the Celtics' team recruiting, with Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, coach Doc Rivers, general manager Danny Ainge and majority owner Wyc Grousbeck all coming to visit Wallace in the Detroit suburbs last week moved the 35-year-old into action sooner than expected.

The notion of playing with three All-Stars, including a certain Hall of Famer in Garnett and a possible one in Pierce, plus the opportunity to compete for a championship solidified Wallace's desire to play for the Celtics.

"He decided to forgo the other trips and stuff and decided he's going to Boston," Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland said late Sunday evening. "When he sat down and thought about it some over this weekend, he thought Boston, in his mind, was the best fit for him, in terms of his skill set and what they already had. He decided, 'why waste time? I don't have to hassle over it.'"

Wallace has averaged 15 points and 6.9 rebounds in 14 NBA seasons. He averaged 12 points and 7.4 rebounds last season.

Devilspawn
07-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Im more excited about next year.

The Nets are coming to Brooklyn and even though I am and always be a Knicks fan, it'll be exciting to have them... and maybe Lebron and Wade... in BK. :shocked:

dogfish
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Denver needs to try and sign Grant Hill... Also would love to try and trade for Tyson Chandler as well so they can move Nene into his original position where he over powers every PF in this league.... Hes so much more productive offensively playing at the 4 instead of the 5.

i'd love to see tyson chandler in denver, but how much does grant hill really have left?

Dortoh
07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Denver will ink Anderson to 5 year back loaded deal for around 25 mil

NO LINK :)

dogfish
07-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Denver will ink Anderson to 5 year back loaded deal for around 25 mil

NO LINK :)

that's okay, carol already posted one in the nugs thread. . . . :laugh:

good move for denver. . . i wonder if we're still interested in chandler, and what they're going to do about kleiza. . . .

Dortoh
07-08-2009, 10:10 AM
that's okay, carol already posted one in the nugs thread. . . . :laugh:

good move for denver. . . i wonder if we're still interested in chandler, and what they're going to do about kleiza. . . .

I'm always late to the party :laugh:

I love this IMO the man has turned it around and proved it last year. Pay the man

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090709/SPORTS04/907090402/1004/SPORTS/Pacers+reach+deal+with++free+agent+guard+Dahntay+J ones

The Indiana Pacers have landed their first free agent acquisition of the offseason.

The Pacers agreed to a four-year, $11 million deal with Denver Nuggets free agent guard Dahntay Jones late Wednesday night. The fourth year is a player option.

"(Pacers president) Larry Bird and (general manager) David Morway contacted me the first night of free agency and expressed a lot of interest in Dahntay," Jones' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said. "The Pacers are getting somebody that competes with an edge and is a lockdown defender. He's going to bring a defensive mind-set to the team."

Bartelstein was assisted by Aaron Mintz on the deal. Bird and Morway were unavailable for comment.

Jones started 71 games for Denver, which reached the Western Conference finals last season. He averaged 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds.

Jones, a defensive-minded player who doesn't need the ball to be effective, will give the Pacers needed help on a depleted wing.

The team didn't pick up its option on Marquis Daniels, Mike Dunleavy is out indefinitely with a knee injury and Stephen Graham is an unrestricted free agent.

"I've watched a lot of the Pacers games since we had three guys on the roster last season and we were intrigued by their team," Bartelstein said. "Dahntay is a multidimensional player that can defend three positions."

The Pacers are expected now to turn their attention to restricted free agent guard Jarrett Jack.

Bird and Morway have had preliminary discussions with Jack's agent, but a deal is not imminent. The Pacers will go only so far in matching an offer for Jack.

"Jarrett's representative wants to get a feel for the market and find out what kind of interest there is in him . . .," Morway said. "We expect to be able to re-sign Jarrett."

The Pacers have also expressed interest in former Northwest High School standout Rodney Carney. Carney's athleticism fits coach Jim O'Brien's style.

The Pacers appear close to re-signing restricted free agent Josh McRoberts, who is playing on their summer league team in Orlando. Morway said he hopes to get a "deal done shortly" with the forward.

Buff
07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Anyone see Gortat bitching about the Magic matching his $34 million contract?

Poor guy has to make $30 mil and won't even get to be a starter.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-24-2009, 06:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4354227

The Portland Trail Blazers have offered point guard Andre Miller a three-year contract after failing in their efforts to acquire New York Knicks restricted free agent David Lee, sources close to the process said Friday.

Miller's contract would be worth $21 million, with $14 million guaranteed and $7 million included as a third-year team option, a source said.

Miller's agent, Andy Miller, confirmed his client will be signing a multiyear deal with the Blazers as early as Friday but declined to offer details, ESPN Radio 1080 in Portland has reported.

Miller, an unrestricted free agent, had been balking at signing a one-year offer from the Philadelphia 76ers, and the Blazers were one of only two teams with the money to give him more than the mid-level exception.

The Blazers have been looking for a veteran point guard for the past couple of seasons and have flirted with everyone from Jason Kidd to Kirk Hinrich.

With Miller, the Blazers would get a savvy veteran who excels as a physical, post-up guard.

Before they committed to Miller, the Blazers made a strong push for Lee, a power forward. On Tuesday night, Blazers coach Nate McMillan and front-office executives Kevin Pritchard and Tom Penn had dinner with Lee in Las Vegas to make their recruiting pitch.

One source said the Blazers offered Lee a variety of options, including an opt-out clause that would have made him an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2011.

But the Knicks and Portland could not agree in discussions Thursday on any kind of a sign-and-trade deal, and the Blazers did not want to risk losing Miller over the seven-day waiting period had they chosen to use their cap space to tender an offer sheet to Lee, which New York would have had the right to match.

Lee, attending Team USA's mini-camp in Las Vegas, confirmed the Tuesday night recruiting meeting and said he was intrigued by the possibility of playing for Portland, although he never thought a deal was close.

"At this point it's going to come down to sign-and-trades vs. trying to get something worked out with New York," Lee told ESPN.com. "Sign and trades, with base-year and compensation and all that stuff, can get complicated. But I think there's enough teams out there that we've had contact with that are excited about trying to get something done that it's a possibility we can do it."