PDA

View Full Version : Fight Night Rd 4- 360/PS3

Shazam!
07-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Anyone who has played Fight Night Rd. 3 (FN3) will be right at home in Fight Night 4 (FN4), so then it is a must have.

FN3 was and still is a great fighting game. For some reason losing in FN is like a bad paper cut. A loss stings more than other fighting games or 2 player games. Especially when you have to see that devastating upper cut that cracked your jaw in slow mo, to the taunting delight of your opponent. One word- Rematch! The fights are lengthy and I've had a few matches go at least an hour. The 360 and PS3 versions of FN3 were merely upgraded ports from the PS2 and XBox versions. FN4 was built specifically for the new generation of consoles with HD in mind and the difference is staggering.

You can no longer use a button layout this time to fight, 'Total Punch Control' is the only option on the right stick, with blocking, stance and haymaker modifiers on the triggers. Veterans of the series will have no problem adjusting to the slightly different system as it plays almost the same. Players who used the buttons will have to get used to the stick. It's easier to use this time around and with a little practice, button vets and rookie fighters alike will be throwing bags of bricks in no time.

The career mode is revamped, but I am slightly disappointed with it. It's improved over FN3's, and gone is the terrible rivalry fighters but it still isn't dramatic enough of a difference. The training games to upgrade your fighter are ridiculously hard, and if you auto-train you only get half the upgrade. So later on when meeting tough fighters you'll be at a severe disadvantage in the stats department if you went this route. Since the AI is much improved over FN3, you'll have to work on practicing the mini games to upgrade your fighter.

Don King's Prizefighter (2K Sports, 2008), didn't have the graphics or a good fighting system that was comparable which was a disappointment, but the career mode was like a story mode and FAR, FAR, FAR BETTER than any FN so far. If I have one complaint about this game, this is the biggest. I mean it's not that it isn't serviceable, it's good. But seeing what 2K can do with a clearly inferior boxing game EA could've done better, especially with the ESPN license.

Gameplay is similar to FN3, but gone are the 1 hit haymaker KO contests which bordered on the ridiculous with some players. The punches thrown are much faster this time and the collision detection is better, so glancing blows won't hit with full damage as they did before. The game makes you Master the Sweet Science and you will have to use a bit of strategy to break through your opponents defense. If you can't block or dodge competently you're in trouble. The jab is still effective but doesn't do as much damage as in FN3.

You can make any kind of character you want with any style, the creation options are exhaustive. There's a new corner system that rates you on how you did in the previous round to improve you when coming out for the next one, punches thrown, landed for you vs. the opponent, and so on all effect this.

The graphics are awesome. Your boxer moves with such fluidity and the real fighters look dead on that from a distance someone would think it's a real PPV fight. The fighter's entrances are improved complete with fireworks. The arenas and crowds look better too. The sweat is better and the blood and damage to the face is much more realistic than the red blotches from before. The slo-mo KOs are devastating and great to watch, another big upgrade this time.

The sound is well done and the punches sound crushing. The crowd's thunderous chants backing the fighter who is winning is a thrill (if it's you). Joe Tessitore's ESPN commentary is much better and less repetitive than before.

There are over 40 legendary boxers including Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Ricky Hatton and Lennox Lewis just to name a few. I still cannot understand why no Larry 'The Easton Assassin' Holmes has never made an appearance. He was one of my faves.

The online mode will be around for a LONG TIME, and finding opponents will be easy for a few years, as FN's life cycle isn't yearly with other sports games like Madden. The only problem was a player can throw in the towel at any time, so if you're kicking ass your fight could be cut short by a sore loser.

FN4 is the must have for any fan of the series, as it continues down the road of it's predecessors. The career mode just could've been better and is the only thing that holds it back from complete sickly greatness that EA seems to never nail. It's still the best representation of virtual boxing ever. The game is great fun on the couch passing the controller around with buddies or family. For big boxing fans, eager first time virtual video pugilists looking to throw hands in the ring, or sports fans in general, you can't go wrong with FN4. It's a knockout.

Rated T for Teen- Blood, violence and mild language

9/10

MasterShake
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I played the crap out of FN:R3. First game besides Oblivion I got 1000 achievement points on. I'll check it out, I liked the create a character. My favorite ones were Rocky and Drago from Rocky IV.

Shazam!
07-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Another minor complaint I have is that Ali is practically a weakling. I know that Mike Tyson was a big factor in FN4 and they're both on the cover to create a what-if dream fight. Ali is way too weak to take on Tyson in the game. I hit Tyson with hundreds of 1-2 combos and devastating uppercuts and haymakers over and over again, and the damage Ali gives is a joke. I know the jab has been toned down a bit, but the jab is one of the most important shots in boxing, and masters of the jab are difficult to fight.

I also think a prime Ali would've beaten a prime Tyson without any problem.

I hope they include some downloadable fighters too, the heavyweight roster could use some better fighters. Tommy Morrison from Rocky V? C'mon. James Toney? Please. Why not have Buster Douglas, the first fighter to beat Tyson because he's in the game? Riddick Bowe? No Michael or Leon Spinks? They included Lennox Lewis which I was disappointed that he wasn't in FN3 after being in FN2. George Foreman is a great addition, but it woulda been cool if they had young George and old George. Larry Holmes damnit.

Still great and can't stop playing.

aberdien
07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Those boxing games are always fun.

Timmy!
07-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Liked FN3 a lot. My friends refuse to fight me on that game. Have been waiting for FN4.

sneakers
07-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I played the crap out of FN:R3. First game besides Oblivion I got 1000 achievement points on. I'll check it out, I liked the create a character. My favorite ones were Rocky and Drago from Rocky IV.

Shake, I reached half-mast when you mentioned the word "oblivion"...

Shazam!
07-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Fight Night Round 4 DLC Details Revealed
Button punches, new game content coming your way late summer.
By Jim Reilly. IGN.com

July 7, 2009 - Fans clamoring for face button controls just got their wish.

Electronic Arts announced plans today to release several downloadable content packs for Fight Night Round 4 on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. One of which being a free update made available in September that allows players to map punches to the face buttons on the controllers.

Another DLC update released later in August will include a new training gym, new gameplay sliders, and new equipment. Xbox 360 owners will also be getting an exclusive alternate version of Sugar Ray Leonard.

"The depth and variety of new content we have planned this summer is going to make one of the most critically acclaimed games on the market even better," said senior producer, Dean Richards in a press release.

"Among the new content in development, our new button control scheme will give fans a choice for how they want to throw punches in the game. We strongly believe that the refined Total Punch Control is the most intuitive way to throw punches in Fight Night Round 4, but we also want fans of the franchise to have an option."

EA did not say when or how many more DLC packs fans can expect to see.

Italianmobstr7
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
fight night round 4 sucked. I took it back already. what a crappy, unrealistic game.

Shazam!
07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm with you, but the graphics are the best seen in a boxing game. The career mode was a mega disappointment for me, the computer AI too scripted, and getting KOs is far too difficult. I like FN3 better and Prizefighter's career mode totally blows it away.

Shazam!
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I wanted to expand on this before but I couldn't, I had to go. Anyway...

The thing about FN4 is the parts are greater than the whole.

The game is awesome for 2P going at it in a room with friends passing around the controllers or having matches online.

The graphics are excellent and much better than FN3.

The 1 hit KO is gone and that's a good thing. That was my one biggest complaint about FN3, when I was getting the hang of it and playing a seasoned vet, I couldn't get out of the first round. He'd just haymaker me into the daze, and then KO me. Once I got the hang of it, I dished out crushing humiliating defeats in revenge so badly. Now we are even and a fight can go on for an hour. It also took out the realism, how many fights end in Rd. 1 with 3 punches thrown?

The comp AI is cheap, meaning that times it will automatically block the corresponding punch thrown as soon as the animation begins, and randomly let shots through. Sure it makes it more difficult, but it is a cheap way of improving the AI. There are sliders to adjust this auto-blocking, but it's a cheap technique to make the career/single player mode harder.

I made this review based on the whole package, and I still stand by giving it a high score based on the entire experience. As I said the parts are greater than the whole and the single player is lacking. But gameplay, multiplayer, graphics and online function, FN4 is the king of the ring.

I recommend Don King's Prizefighter on 360 for the career mode only to any boxing fan. It's fantastic.