PDA

View Full Version : NFL Power Rankings Version 2.0

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Adrian Peterson (AP) By Adam Caplan
Senior NFL Reporter
Posted Jun 30, 2009

Will the probable addition of Brett Favre put the Minnesota Vikings over the top? Which teams have the best chance to dethrone the Pittsburgh Steelers?...Find out inside.

1) Pittsburgh Steelers: Don't underestimate the signing of veteran WR Shaun McDonald. Don't be surprised if he beats out Limas Sweed for the third receiver role? Kraig Urbik will eventually be the starter at right guard, it's just a matter of when.

Last Ranking: 1

Needs Still to be Filled: WR (depth), C, S (depth)

2) Philadelphia Eagles: It looks like WR Kevin Curtis (groin) will be fine by the start of training camp. An underrated issue is the shuffling on the offensive line. Also, if this team is to go far in the playoffs, Donovan McNabb will have to be more consistent. The talent is there for this team to win it all.

Last Ranking: 2

Needs Still to be Filled: TE

3) New York Giants: Who will step up at receiver and fill Plaxico Burress's shoes? Who will back up Brandon Jacobs at running back? Will the defense take a step back with a new coordinator calling the plays? Time will tell.

Last Ranking: 3

Needs Still to be Filled: S (depth), WR (veteran depth)

4) Minnesota Vikings: With the probable addition of Brett Favre, this team could go deep in the playoffs. But is Favre really the answer at 39? The offensive line looks to be a big issue. Can they handle the loss of Matt Birk? Can Percy Harvin stay out of trouble and prove to be worth a first-round pick? They have to find a reliable nickel back. Is Tyrell Johnson ready to start at strong safety?

Last Ranking: 7

Needs Still to be Filled: RG, C, DT (depth), S (depth), CB (depth)

5) Indianapolis Colts: It will be interesting to see how the coaches handle the running back rotation between Joseph Addai and Donald Brown. Look for Austin Collie to come in and be a factor right away as their third receiver. It also will be interesting to see how the defense does with Larry Coyer running the show. The coaching changes might have an effect, but probably not as much as some think.

Last Ranking: 4

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DT

6) Atlanta Falcons: The offense looks to be complete now with the addition of Tony Gonzalez. But defensively, who can rush the passer other than John Abraham? Can they find a solid cover cornerback within their roster? Can they stop the run?

Last Ranking: 5

Needs Still to be Filled: DT (depth), DE, CB, S

7) San Diego Chargers: If LaDainian Tomlinson gets hurt again can Darren Sproles handle a lot of touches in Tominlson's absence? Can Shawne Merriman rebound from a lost season due to injury? The secondary needs to be more consistent. Can Antonio Cromartie bounce back? Lots of upside with this team, but several questions need to be answered.

Last Ranking: 6

Needs Still to be Filled: RB, DE

8) Baltimore Ravens: How will they help Joe Flacco at receiver? They need a downfield threat badly. Can they run it better than last season? Does Willis McGahee have anything left? Defensively, can Greg Mattison effectively replace coordinator Rex Ryan? Lots of questions here, but they should be a solid team.

Last Ranking: 8

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DE

9) New England Patriots: Running the ball consistently might be a problem and who will provide depth at receiver? Since they run a spread offense, can Joey Galloway give them quality snaps at 37 years old? The return of Tom Brady could mean they'll make the playoffs for sure. The secondary, which was poor last season, should improve with the additions at cornerback and safety. But failing to sign Jason Taylor could come back to haunt them, so can they find a consistent pass rush?

Last Ranking: 9

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, RT, OLB

10) New York Jets: Who will catch the ball opposite Jerricho Cotchery? Can new head coach Rex Ryan get anything out of OLB Vernon Gholston? Can they find quality play at cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis?

Last Ranking: 10

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DE (depth), OLB, S (depth)

11) Tennessee Titans: Finally, this team may actually have a decent group of receivers. The defense is going to miss Albert Haynesworth. His departure is what will keep them from going deep in the AFC playoffs. It's hard to believe the defensive end position wasn't dealt with in the off-season.

Last Ranking: 11

Needs Still to be Filled: G (depth), DE, CB (depth), S

12) Carolina Panthers: This team can't afford to fall behind. They are built to run, not to pass. Who will rush the passer besides the inconsistent Julius Peppers? Can they find a suitable nickel back after cutting Ken Lucas?

Last Ranking: 12

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DE, DT (depth), CB (depth)

13) New Orleans Saints: You can call this a pinball offense. No one will be able to stop them consistently. But the defense is going to be an issue once again.

Last Ranking: 13

Needs Still to be Filled: RB, DT, OLB

14) Arizona Cardinals: The offense should be very good again, but can they run the ball better? The defense looks to be shaky again. The offense will probably have to score at least 24 points for this team to win each week.

Last Ranking: 14

Needs Still to be Filled: TE, C, DE, CB

15) Houston Texans: You have to wonder what general manager Rick Smith is thinking about when he decided that Chris Brown would be an adequate backup to Steve Slaton. Other than that, the offense is looking good. Defensively, the front-seven should be improved, but the secondary looks to still be an issue.

Last Ranking: 15

Needs Still to be Filled: RB (depth), G, DE (depth), S

16) Green Bay Packers: RT, DE, OLB

Last Ranking: 16

Needs Still to be Filled: The interior of the offensive line looks to be a little shaky. The front-seven looks to be the issue on defense as they make the conversion to the 3-4.

17) Dallas Cowboys: The receiver position continues to be the biggest issue this team has on offense. The front-seven is strong, but the secondary looks to be a bit shaky.

Last Ranking: 17

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, OLB (depth), CB (depth), S (depth)

18) Chicago Bears: Can they find anyone who can be a consistent pass catcher opposite Devin Hester? Don't be surprised if TE Greg Olsen leads the team in receptions.

Last Ranking: 18

Needs Still to be Filled: QB (backup), WR, G, CB

19) Miami Dolphins: This team is likely to take a step back based on their personnel at several positions. They lack consistent playmakers at receiver and could use an upgrade at tight end. Cornerback is looking a bit questionable at this point, but they do have youth in back of the starters.

Last Ranking: 20

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, TE

20) Washington Redskins: The key for this offense is for Clinton Portis to stay healthy and for another receiver other than Santana Moss to become a factor in the passing game. If Devin Thomas becomes a big factor, this team could surprise in 2009. Defensively, they must find pass rush help.

Last Ranking: 19

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, RT, OLB

21) Seattle Seahawks: It's almost hard to believe that they didn't sign or trade for a back to compete against Julius Jones for playing time. It has to be a concern that two out of their top three receivers are coming off of injury issues.

Last Ranking: 21

Needs Still to be Filled: RB (depth), DT (depth)

22) Buffalo Bills: The departure of LT Jason Peters is going to be a problem for their offense. Can they find anyone else other than Aaron Schobel to rush the passer? Why did they sign CB Drayton Florence who struggled the past few seasons with the Jaguars and Chargers?

Last Ranking: 22

Needs Still to be Filled: LT, DE

23) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The quarterback position is the key for their offensive consistency this season. Can this defense rebound after the collapse down the stretch from last season?

Last Ranking: 23

Needs Still to be Filled: DE, DT, CB (depth)

24) Cincinnati Bengals: The offensive line looks to be a major issue, but at least Carson Palmer is back behind center. Can Cedric Benson handle being their starting running back for 16 games? The defense is probably going to surprise some people this season, but depth is an issue at various positions.

Last Ranking: 25

Needs Still to be Filled: LG, C, DT, DE, CB

25) Denver Broncos: Can Kyle Orton admirably replace Jay Cutler at quarterback? Will Brandon Marshall play for the Broncos this season? Can the defense stop anyone?

Last Ranking: 24

Needs Still to be Filled: DE, OLB (depth), CB

26) San Francisco 49ers: The quarterback position will be the overriding issue all summer for this team on offense. Defensively, who will put pressure on the quarterback? Can CB Dre' Bly adequately replace Walt Harris?

Last Ranking: 26

Needs Still to be Filled: QB, OLB, S, CB (depth)

27) St. Louis Rams: While their offensive line looks to be significantly improved, QB Marc Bulger looks to be on the downside of his career. Who will catch passes this season? The receiver position continues to be an issue. Defensively, while there will be an adjustment in scheme and philosophy, talent on that side of the ball is still an issue. But, new head coach Steve Spagnuolo will bring a badly needed attitude adjustment this season, which should result in a better overall record.

Last Ranking: 28

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DT, DE

28) Cleveland Browns: Quarterback and receiver are the big issues on offense. Defensively, they must find a way to rush the passer.

Last Ranking: 27

Needs Still to be Filled: RB, WR, TE, OLB, CB

29) Oakland Raiders: They should try to become a power running team and control the clock to have any chance to win. They have three backs that can form a nice committee. Defensively, it's clearly a work in progress. The addition of DE Greg Ellis will help, but the pass rush still looks to be questionable.

Last Ranking: 29

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, DE, CB

30) Detroit Lions: The offense might surprise people this season. They are really deep at receiver. The quarterback position is the key to any offensive improvement. The defense is the problem area. Expect them to be more aggressive this season.

Last Ranking: 31

Needs Still to be Filled: G, DE, DT, MLB

31) Jacksonville Jaguars: I never thought I'd say it, but they will miss Matt Jones at receiver. How much does Torry Holt have left? Who will start opposite him?

Last Ranking: 30

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, TE, DT, CB

32) Kansas City Chiefs: The offense might wind up being decent, but the defense will be the team's downfall this season. The secondary should be solid, but the front seven is where the problems are.

Last Ranking: 32

Needs Still to be Filled: WR, OLB (pass rusher)

http://den.scout.com/a.z?s=101&p=2&c=876060&refid=400

topscribe
07-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Team needs CB? :pound:

So much for credibility . . .

-----

NightTrainLayne
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Team needs CB? :pound:

So much for credibility . . .

-----

I was just trying to figure that out myself. :confused:

BigDaddyBronco
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess we are solid at DT. :confused:

Tned
07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I was just trying to figure that out myself. :confused:

Not everyone is convinced about Goodman, mostly because I think I read that last year was more or less a career year for him. We don't have a proven nickel back, so after Champ, there is quite a bit of question marks. Many people think that Bly to Goodman is a downgrade.

Foxworth is gone, so that leaves Bell, Williams, Smith and a couple others competing for the nickel and dime spots, with Goodman being question mark in terms of whether he will be an upgrade or downgrade from Bly.

Tned
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM

I certainly am concerned about NT, maybe less concerned about the DTs when we play 4-3. I don't know that the author knows crap, but I have read some that think Fields can be a solid NT. I know that the comment on Rotoworld was that the rest of the league missed out on fields, and I am not ready to right off Marcus Thomas at NT. However, we need to see some preseason and regular season before any of us will know for sure.

Tempus Fugit
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
The Patriots are listed at #9. That's enough, just there, to make the list absolutely worthless.

NameUsedBefore
07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Stop looking at the Broncos for a second.

Look at that top-12.

This list is horrible.

gobroncsnv
07-01-2009, 08:51 PM

I was thinking same... I have more comfort with DE than I do at DT...

Shazam!
07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
That article is absolute CRAP, and no better than what anyone here can do either. In fact, Gmoney could do a team by team analysis 10x better.

frenchfan
07-02-2009, 01:52 AM
That article is absolute CRAP, and no better than what anyone here can do either. In fact, Gmoney could do a team by team analysis 10x better.Shazam, please stop bashing G~Money...

Only 10x better than this crap ????? :tsk:

:laugh:

I don't care about rankings... let's see it on the field ;)

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
The Vikings are ranked number 4-nuff said. I said in my sig that Favre in Minny would guarantee that the Bears will sweep them, but i didn't explain why.

Lovie Smith knows how to beat Favre, and beat that Defense. Since Lovie's arrival in Chicago in '04, Brett Favre has only thrown 5 tds against the Bears, while throwing 15 ints-3 of them pick 6's. He also only has one win against Chicago.

Lovie Smith as the defensive coordinator of the Rams also took Favre behind the woodshed in their meetings.

The Vikes arent going to be much of a factor for the foreseeable future. Favre is only a bandaid. Right now a QB rivalry is sparking up in the North between Chicago and Greenbay. Both teams have found the answer at QB-possibly even the Lions if Stafford pans out. The Vikings are going to be left behind. As it stands, the Bears and the Pack are going to be fighting it out flip flopping as the number 1 and 2 teams in that Div. over the next 10+ years.

topscribe
07-02-2009, 06:18 PM
The Vikings are ranked number 4-nuff said. I said in my sig that Favre in Minny would guarantee that the Bears will sweep them, but i didn't explain why.

Lovie Smith knows how to beat Favre, and beat that Defense. Since Lovie's arrival in Chicago in '04, Brett Favre has only thrown 5 tds against the Bears, while throwing 15 ints-3 of them pick 6's. He also only has one win against Chicago.

Lovie Smith as the defensive coordinator of the Rams also took Favre behind the woodshed in their meetings.

The Vikes arent going to be much of a factor for the foreseeable future. Favre is only a bandaid. Right now a QB rivalry is sparking up in the North between Chicago and Greenbay. Both teams have found the answer at QB-possibly even the Lions if Stafford pans out. The Vikings are going to be left behind. As it stands, the Bears and the Pack are going to be fighting it out flip flopping as the number 1 and 2 teams in that Div. over the next 10+ years.

The Lions are going to need a lot more than Stafford, even if he does pan out.

But don't you think you might be underestimating the Vikings? They have
some very good players in several positions. I always thought they were one
QB away from giving anybody else a very hard time on the field.

-----

Lonestar
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

-----

obviously a lovie fan that has difficulty getting past the jealousy in being the scum of the division for so long..

I beleive everyone knows that the Vikings have perhaps the best OLINE and DLINE in the NFL.. one of the top RB's to go with them.. but they have sucked at QB since EVER..

get a good QB or better and it is their spot in the SB to lose.

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 07:17 PM

-----

Defensively they were only slightly better then the Bears in rushing average-They Bears were better then the Vikes in pass ave. Yards per play, they were equal. They were also neck and neck in 3rd down average. They have a good d line that is true, but their secondary is easy to pass on. Not to mention that the Wall of Williams will be suspended for multiple games this season. They also don't force a ton of turnovers. Yes, Peterson is a beast running the ball-so was Sanders. And Sanders didnt fumble as much. Did Sanders bring alot of division titles to Detroit?

The Bears last season were less talented then they are now. They also had a tougher schedule. Look at the ATL, Carolina, and Tampa games, and you see a team that should have been 12-4 underachieved its way to a 9-7 record.

The Bears this season have an easier schedule, and are more talented. They also have made a serious coaching upgrade (Marinelli @ DL coach). Baring numerous key injuries, they should take the north.

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
obviously a lovie fan that has difficulty getting past the jealousy in being the scum of the division for so long..

I beleive everyone knows that the Vikings have perhaps the best OLINE and DLINE in the NFL.. one of the top RB's to go with them.. but they have sucked at QB since EVER..

get a good QB or better and it is their spot in the SB to lose.

Look at the the list of NFC North Champs over the last 5 seasons, and then repeat that again with a straight face.

Lonestar
07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Look at the the list of NFC North Champs over the last 5 seasons, and then repeat that again with a straight face.

:D

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 08:12 PM

:D

I noticed that there was no longer a straight face :lol:

tumbana
07-02-2009, 08:54 PM

I COMPLETELY agree 100%. The Bears and Packers both have more young talent and also both have significantly better coaching. The Vikings' best players on both sides of the ball for a majority are old and don't have many years left. Their secondary is horrible and is not talented at all. The Williams wall will get suspended and is also old as dirt, their only good DB isn't that young and he alone isn't going to make up for everyone else. Their one decent WR is is a one trick pony and is going to turn 29, they have no QB for the future, Hutchison is getting old. The guy they drafted doesn't have a set position. I can go on and on. The average age and overall young talent on both sides of the ball is inferior to the real two teams of the NFCN. Their window of opportunity to actually truly contend IMO is closing in the next 2 years and I think they know that which is why they are trying so hard to get a washed up Favre. Also to to save the coaches' behinds. How often do they get picked preseason champs and never come close? If they can't pull it off, they are going to end up in rebuilding mode.

I noticed you started posting here, did you get banned from Broncosmania for styling on those guys as well?

topscribe
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM
I COMPLETELY agree 100%. The Bears and Packers both have more young talent and also both have significantly better coaching. The Vikings' best players on both sides of the ball for a majority are old and don't have many years left. Their secondary is horrible and is not talented at all. The Williams wall will get suspended and is also old as dirt, their only good DB isn't that young and he alone isn't going to make up for everyone else. Their one decent WR is is a one trick pony and is going to turn 29, they have no QB for the future, Hutchison is getting old. The guy they drafted doesn't have a set position. I can go on and on. The average age and overall young talent on both sides of the ball is inferior to the real two teams of the NFCN. Their window of opportunity to actually truly contend IMO is closing in the next 2 years and I think they know that which is why they are trying so hard to get a washed up Favre. Also to to save the coaches' behinds. How often do they get picked preseason champs and never come close? If they can't pull it off, they are going to end up in rebuilding mode.

I noticed you started posting here, did you get banned from Broncosmania for styling on those guys as well?

No, he didn't. There's a big difference between you and him.

-----

tumbana
07-02-2009, 09:08 PM
No, he didn't. There's a big difference between you and him.

-----

We both style on the chumps on Broncomania. I did it more often and did so brutally and the mods didn't like me killing the kool-aid fest by hitting posters up with straight facts. Feels good man.

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 09:17 PM

No im not banned. Topscribe invited me. I did however allow myself to get drug down into flame wars, and it got me put on probation. Actually I got a 50 point infraction for asking a poster who said the name 'Simms' (as in Phil Simms) made him physically ill "how does it make you feel, knowing that there is a good chance that the name "Simms" could be across the back of the starting QB of the Denver Broncos". Even some of the Bronco faithful think it is crap for what i was given a 50 pointer for. Im not tripping about it though.

I have Bronco bashed at times, only in response to Bear bashing. Those that really know me know that I do like the Broncos. They beat what looked to be an unstoppable Packers team in the SB. I'll always be grateful for that. I was being negative about them was in response to certain situations. I also don't hate Orton. After what we had the couple of decades at QB he was a breath of fresh air. That being said I am ecstatic we have Cutler.

I also came to the realization that I could use plain fact to refute any bear bashing that may occur in the future. I think that most Chicago fans are very knowledgeable about football, and are more then capable to remain level headed and insult free while still driving their points home. A from what it appears to be on this board (unlike BroncosCountry), a little sarcasm is ok, there is no need to be nasty about things.

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
We both style on the chumps on Broncomania. I did it more often and did so brutally and the mods didn't like me killing the kool-aid fest by hitting posters up with straight facts. Feels good man.

Not really. I like good debate. Love it. It can be done and won without name calling, and insult. That feels better.

tumbana
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
No im not banned. Topscribe invited me. I did however allow myself to get drug down into flame wars, and it got me put on probation. Actually I got a 50 point infraction for asking a poster who said the name 'Simms' (as in Phil Simms) made him physically ill "how does it make you feel, knowing that there is a good chance that the name "Simms" could be across the back of the starting QB of the Denver Broncos". Even some of the Bronco faithful think it is crap for what i was given a 50 pointer for. Im not tripping about it though.

I have Bronco bashed at times, only in response to Bear bashing. Those that really know me know that I do like the Broncos. They beat what looked to be an unstoppable Packers team in the SB. I'll always be grateful for that. I was being negative about them was in response to certain situations. I also don't hate Orton. After what we had the couple of decades at QB he was a breath of fresh air. That being said I am ecstatic we have Cutler.

I also came to the realization that I could use plain fact to refute any bear bashing that may occur in the future. I think that most Chicago fans are very knowledgeable about football, and are more then capable to remain level headed and insult free while still driving their points home. A from what it appears to be on this board (unlike BroncosCountry), a little sarcasm is ok, there is no need to be nasty about things.
I like to have a little fun. This board allows me to do that. At Broncomania, notice how all of my biggest arguments were when the Bears were involved or when it came to bashing Cutler and giving Orton more credit than he deserved while he was a Bear. I started getting impatient because I kept getting notifications for merely responding in the same fashion that a poster from there would to me. Also guys like Dennis and that KO8 guy were really annoying because it was obvious what fans they really were. Guys kept reporting me, calling me a troll, etc. Ended up getting banned. Oh well, what can you do?

topscribe
07-02-2009, 09:37 PM

You will be happy to know that ONE mod cannot do that to you over here,
and that is why. Severe actions on a poster are decided by a forum of the
mods. I know your situation, and the only thing I will say is that I have seen
questionable actions taken on a few posters over there. I am familiar with
yours, and I deem it very questionable--and you and I were seldom on the
same side of an argument, so that wasn't "cronyism" on my part.

I invited you over because I deemed you a good poster despite what
happened there.

Okay, now this thread is thoroughly hijacked, and I am heavily involved.

:focus:

-----

topscribe
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM

Far as I could see, you were correctly banned.

And I want it publicly known that I did not invite you over here.

Now, :focus:

-----

Lonestar
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I like to have a little fun. This board allows me to do that. At Broncomania, notice how all of my biggest arguments were when the Bears were involved or when it came to bashing Cutler and giving Orton more credit than he deserved while he was a Bear. I started getting impatient because I kept getting notifications for merely responding in the same fashion that a poster from there would to me. Also guys like Dennis and that KO8 guy were really annoying because it was obvious what fans they really were. Guys kept reporting me, calling me a troll, etc. Ended up getting banned. Oh well, what can you do?

you just might try scope..:D