PDA

View Full Version : Former Denver Broncos' star to open a restaurant in Grand Junction

Denver Native (Carol)
07-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Vance Johnson, one of the Broncos' "Three Amigos" alongside Mark Jackson and Ricky Nattiel, is set to open Vance's Epicurious near First and Grand in Grand Junction in Smashburger's former location. He also owns VJ's Outlaw Ribbs in Parachute.

Johnson came to the Western Slope in 2001. He decided to move to the Grand Valley after witnessing the Downtown Farmers' Market while in town for a kids football camp. "I did not want to leave Grand Junction," Johnson, 49, said. "I called up home and told them to pack my stuff ... It was Mayberry for me."

Vance's Epicurious will boast a diverse menu, with East Coast-style pizza, fish tacos from the West Coast, barbecue from the Midwest (including items from his Parachute restaurant), Hawaiian dishes, and of course, burgers. The burger menu will include sandwiches for every team in the AFC West, such as the Bronco and Raider Burgers. The restaurant will have a full bar, and breakfast will be served on weekends.

rest - http://business-news.thestreet.com/denver-post/story/former-denver-broncos-star-open-restaurant-grand-junction/1

OrangeHoof
07-06-2012, 09:22 PM
One of the big mistakes I see over and over again is when someone opens a restaurant in the boonies with a "diverse menu" or an exotic specialty only to find out the locals are basically meat and potatoes folks who thinks burgers and fries out is a big night.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
One of the big mistakes I see over and over again is when someone opens a restaurant in the boonies with a "diverse menu" or an exotic specialty only to find out the locals are basically meat and potatoes folks who thinks burgers and fries out is a big night.

Grand Junction is a beautiful mountain town http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/cms/d/three_quick_getaways.php

Pudge
07-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I've met him in parachute. Pretty good food. He even gave me an autographed shot glass that my roommate put in the dishwasher and ruined

Softskull
07-06-2012, 11:08 PM
He makes his pancakes shaped like footballs, slathers them in butter and personally throws them at you. When you drop the slimy cakeballs (they are uncatchable), he barks "that's what it's like to catch an Elway pass".

But if I was picked in the second round, they'd be throwing me a football instead of a freakin' pancake.

dacoats
07-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I always hated that group of Wr's, so overrated.....

Simple Jaded
07-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Who ever said they were anything special? See, to use the word "overrated" you have to first know the meaning of the word. For example, from my understanding of the word I'm fairly certain that you're an idiot.......

dacoats
07-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Who ever said they were anything special? See, to use the word "overrated" you have to first know the meaning of the word. For example, from my understanding of the word I'm fairly certain that you're an idiot.......
I don't understand?

Chef Zambini
07-07-2012, 09:32 AM
so much hate, so little pancake syrup.
the raider burger wont sell and propably tastes like shit

nevcraw
07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
can't wait for TC!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2012, 05:50 PM

overrated by who???????

Npba900
07-07-2012, 09:50 PM

I enjoyed watching Vance play. I bought his autobiography and gained great insight on his career while a Bronco. He was a great route runner--deep threat and had great speed. Vance did have injury issues and had problems staying healthy at times; and had off the field issues with alcohol. But hey it was the 80's and 90's it came with the territory.

Dzone
07-08-2012, 05:18 AM
The Three Amigos were pathetic. How many balls did they drop?

sneakers
07-08-2012, 06:29 AM
Restaurants have a very slim profit margin.....and yet pro athletes seem to think they are immune to this....

Chef Zambini
07-08-2012, 10:02 AM
the best operating restaurants return a 20% profit, and these are the tightest ships in the industry with a hefty liquor sales in the mix! MOST are lucky to return a 10 % profit margin at the end of the month!
these days, investors wanting to off-set profits in OTHER investments are the few willing to open a restaurant and open and run at a loss for the first few years!
they off-set the profits from their other companies, and enjoy the prestige and bennys of being restauranteurs !
managing a restaurant is a no glam, long hours, unappreciated job, I know i did it for 20 years !
if VJ is opening a second location, he must be doing well, however, that is no guarantee that his new concept will be a success.
especially trying to seel a raider burger !
he shouls instead offer a "raider cake' and when guests ask about it refer them to the urinal !

Chef Zambini
07-08-2012, 10:03 AM
The Three Amigos were pathetic. How many balls did they drop?more than the vienna boys choir

turftoad
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Zam, you should apply for a job!

Chef Zambini
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Zam, you should apply for a job!thats a long commute, scottsdale to grand junction.

Simple Jaded
07-08-2012, 09:55 PM
thats a long commute, scottsdale to grand junction.

The owner of a restaurant make bank, dude, l bet they could just fly you in like they do at Area 51. How far are you from Area 51?.......

Chef Zambini
07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
area 51 wouls be a greaT NAME FOR A BAR.

Jsteve01
07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Vance is a dick. Plain and simple. He's burned bridges at every turn. Failed to take adequate care of the many kids he fathered and all in all acted the ***** to people here in Grand Junction. Mark Jackson on the other hand is one of the coolest people I've ever met. Very down to earth, and fun to have a beer with (which I've done on multiple occasions).

Simple Jaded
07-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Vance is a dick. Plain and simple. He's burned bridges at every turn. Failed to take adequate care of the many kids he fathered and all in all acted the ***** to people here in Grand Junction. Mark Jackson on the other hand is one of the coolest people I've ever met. Very down to earth, and fun to have a beer with (which I've done on multiple occasions).My brother-in-law met him once in a bank and apparently he was a total *****, Johnson was literally bragging about how much he was depositing so loud that even Jackson was rolling his eyes. Take it fwiw because my brother-in-law is kind of a dick too.......

Dzone
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I've heard from numerous sources that Vance Johnson is a total ********...Thinks he's gods gift to women.
And if hes not taking care of his kids, then he is really a dick. Nobody is going to go to his restaurant if he is an arrogant ********.

MOtorboat
07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
He lived on South Ridge Golf Course in Ft. Collins near the end of his Broncos playing days and shortly after.

I believe he garnered three domestic assaults there.

Pudge
07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
The reason his restaurant was a success in parachute was the oil field with limited options. But every time I talked to him he was really nice