PDA

View Full Version : You'll Probably Be Encouraged When You See This.....Yep....Im Sure Of It.

WARHORSE
07-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Im sending you a link to a website that tracks passes in the air and
YAC % for QBs. Why would that be encouraging to any of us Broncos fans I guess would be the question.

The thing thats encouraging is Matt Cassells stats. Why would that be encouraging? Because of all the QBs in the league last year, Matt Cassells passes only averaged 3.1 yards per pass on the fly.

Even more staggering, is the huge difference in YAC % for Cassells passing vs the other QBs in the league.

Of all the passing yards that Cassell put up last year, a whopping 57% of them came after the catch. Yes, thank Wes Welker for the bulk of that. But thats not the point. Its the way McDaniels Offense set up the WRs, with screens, and misdirection.

Anyone think Orton can pass for 3.1 yards per pass this year? I think so. He did better than that playing in Chicago.

Chicago.

Home of the.............Bears?

Read the site, its self explanitory.

You know whats the most exciting? Brandon is one of the best YAC receivers in the league when healthy. Id say even better than Welker. (healthy)

Eddie as well will fit the Welker role in our offense.

That includes the RBs, of which we got three that excel at catching out of the backfield. Buckhalter, Moreno and Hillis.

BRONCOS BABY.:salute::salute::salute:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/01/air-yards-2008.html

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
its official....i am encouraged !:elefant:
good read thanx !

rationalfan
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
hey, what happened to this board? when did it become a glass half full kind of place?

'bout frickin' time.

underrated29
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
wARHOrse has always been a glass overflowing kinda place.

I try to be a glass almost full kinda place.
And most others are a glass half full kinda place.
JR is a glass shattered in full kinda place.

But maybe war is rubbing off on some people.

:beer:

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 04:18 PM
wARHOrse has always been a glass overflowing kinda place.

I try to be a glass almost full kinda place.
And most others are a glass half full kinda place.
JR is a glass shattered in full kinda place.

But maybe war is rubbing off on some people.

:beer:

no it is just getting closer to la-la time when all the reports out of TC are on the moon and no one shows anything in preseason..

everyone has over ananlyzed the wonderful draft choices we have made..

and how bad all the trades were to other teams..

NameUsedBefore
07-01-2009, 05:41 PM
All this shows us is that

A) Anyone can be good with the dump-pass.

meaning

B) Orton's dump-pass style isn't exactly remarkable.

C) One could use these kind of stats to show McDaniel's "work" with Cassell to be overrated but I thought that anyway.

WARHORSE
07-01-2009, 06:34 PM

meaning

C) One could use these kind of stats to show McDaniel's "work" with Cassell to be overrated but I thought that anyway.

It also shows us that you can win with a QB that doesnt turn the ball over, and only needs the arm strength to throw it 3.1 yards.

Heck, my arm strength is overkill in this offense.

We have guys who can move the ball downfield at every position on offense in YAC.

Every position.

Not to mention a returning killer 5 (6 with Graham) on the Oline, who have yet to play a year together.

tumbana
07-01-2009, 06:39 PM
50% or Orton's yards were from YAC. Also, you have to include completion percentage since while both QBs had 3.1 yards per pass through the air, Cassel completed about 63% of his passes compared to Orton's 58.5%.

Forgot to add Orton's completion percentage 1-10 yards was 65.8% while Cassel's was 68.9%.

Tned
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
50% or Orton's yards were from YAC. Also, you have to include completion percentage since while both QBs had 3.1 yards per pass through the air, Cassel completed about 63% of his passes compared to Orton's 58.5%.

Forgot to add Orton's completion percentage 1-10 yards was 65.8% while Cassel's was 68.9%.

Got any O-line stats for us?

NameUsedBefore
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
It also shows us that you can win with a QB that doesnt turn the ball over, and only needs the arm strength to throw it 3.1 yards.

Heck, my arm strength is overkill in this offense.

We have guys who can move the ball downfield at every position on offense in YAC.

Every position.

Not to mention a returning killer 5 (6 with Graham) on the Oline, who have yet to play a year together.

Cassell, and Orton for that matter, had more than just a short-dump game going on. Cassell inherited one of the best offenses in NFL history. Holy shit, he played good? How amazing. Orton actually had a decent ground game supporting him which put 8 in the box since no one is ever going to seriously respect Orton's arm. Orton also had what I like to call a "defense", as did Cassell.

There's a little more to their wins than just dink'n'dunking down the field.

tumbana
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Got any O-line stats for us?

No, but I can tell you neither QB is very mobile.

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 09:26 PM

meaning

i hope we become the king of the "dump pass"
yeah that must be why bowlen hired mcdaniels.....
oh yeah brady got 50 f'n touchdowns with the dump pass.....
and cassell just got a sweet contract after mcD showed him how to be a QB.

do you ever look at the bright side ?
just sayin'

tumbana
07-01-2009, 09:31 PM
i hope we become the king of the "dump pass"
yeah that must be why bowlen hired mcdaniels.....
oh yeah brady got 50 f'n touchdowns with the dump pass.....
and cassell just got a sweet contract after mcD showed him how to be a QB.

do you ever look at the bright side ?
just sayin'

Brady didn't just throw dump off passes. He is one of the best down field passers in the game and has one of the prettiest deep balls in the game.

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 09:31 PM

If you take a look at Cutler’s completion percentage its at 62.3% and sticks him at tied for 14th in the league,last year...so your point is?
orton is better than cutler? right ?
you just cant win...cherry picking stats is for people who only listen to themselves....oh i guess you didnt hear that !

tumbana
07-01-2009, 09:36 PM
If you take a look at Cutler’s completion percentage its at 62.3% and sticks him at tied for 14th in the league,last year...so your point is?
orton is better than cutler? right ?
you just cant win...cherry picking stats is for people who only listen to themselves....oh i guess you didnt hear that !

I have no idea what your post is trying to say. Orton's smaller completion percentage make him better? I'm confused.
I'm trying to show that Orton did have guys who can get YAC and him averaging the same yards through the air per pass doesn't tell the whole story. Just showing two sides of the coin so that fewer Broncos fans who buy into Orton being a future hall of famer or the next Tom Brady get epically let down because of people cherry picking and skewing thing. I have been let down by the "promise" of past QBs before. Not fun.

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I have no idea what your post is trying to say. Orton's smaller completion percentage make him better? I'm confused.
I'm trying to show that Orton did have guys who can get YAC and him averaging the same yards through the air per pass doesn't tell the whole story. Just showing two sides of the coin so that fewer Broncos fans who buy into Orton being a future hall of famer or the next Tom Brady get epically let down because of people cherry picking and skewing thing. I have been let down by the "promise" of past QBs before. Not fun.

well then you are sure putting alot of "eggs in cutlers basket"
nobody on this board has ever said that orton is a future hall of famer
on the other hand cutler himself seems to be pretty sure he is.
as well as most bears fans.
maybe ....maybe not
given both qb's records i think its still possible (but unlikely )for both

tumbana
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
well then you are sure putting alot of "eggs in cutlers basket"
nobody on this board has ever said that orton is a future hall of famer
on the other hand cutler himself seems to be pretty sure he is.
as well as most bears fans.
maybe ....maybe not
given both qb's records i think its still possible (but unlikely )for both

No, we know Cutler is a good QB and we also won't be asking him to do everything. So, I'm good.

WARHORSE
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Cassell, and Orton for that matter, had more than just a short-dump game going on. Cassell inherited one of the best offenses in NFL history. Holy shit, he played good? How amazing. Orton actually had a decent ground game supporting him which put 8 in the box since no one is ever going to seriously respect Orton's arm. Orton also had what I like to call a "defense", as did Cassell.

There's a little more to their wins than just dink'n'dunking down the field.

Sure there is.

Not saying any different.

I dont think anyone, me included, is saying this makes Orton our saviour and messiah.

But take a look at what the Patriot offense did last year with Cassell, I mean, go look at some tape, and I think you gotta come away thinking our offense is every bit as talented as theirs is from the perspective of the skill positions, sans QB.

Gaffney was a huge part of that offense, and Im looking forward to him playing the third role for us.

NightTrainLayne
07-01-2009, 10:23 PM
No, but I can tell you neither QB is very mobile.

:confused: