PDA

View Full Version : bleacher report marshall for boldin ?

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Should Swap Boldin, Marshall by Seth Doria (Analyst)
11 84 reads
Opinion
July 01, 2009

Normally, talking about disgruntled NFL receivers goes right up there with a Bill Belichick press conference on the originality scale. There’s just been so much said and written and blathered about that it’s just not fun anymore.

But watching the latest news tidbit on Brandon Marshall on Tuesday (reportedly told a cop he hated Denver during a 2007 traffic stop), I had a thought:

Brandon Marshall for Anquan Boldin.

That could work.

Both are Pro Bowl receivers (Boldin three, Marshall one). Both have multiple 100-plus reception seasons. Both have multiple 1200-yard receiving seasons.

The trade would allow both teams to come out on the other side having ditched out on their own disgruntled player while not losing any on-field talent. That’s an incredibly difficult thing to accomplish (see the Broncos’ trade of Jay Cutler to Chicago), and the primary reason why both guys are still stuck in unhappy situations.

There are a few factors that could tilt the scales one way or the other, but they even out when considered in aggregate.

Boldin is 28 (29 in October) and Marshall turned 25 in March. Also, Boldin has only played the full schedule twice in his six seasons, missing a combined 16 games.

Marshall has only missed two games in his three-year career, and the one he missed over the last two seasons was due to a suspension, not injury.

Author Poll
Who would you rather have?

Anquan Boldin Brandon Marshall vote to see results Those are both factors in favor of Marshall.

But—and this is a biggie in today’s NFL—Boldin has a clean record.

Marshall, on the other hand, already has the aforementioned suspension on his record. He’s been arrested/cited somewhere between three and 300 times since entering the league and is just one small slip-up away from feeling the full wrath of Commissioner Goodell.

That’s a plus for Boldin.

Think about this from the teams’ perspective.

Denver gets rid of Marshall, a total pain in the ass who will likely ditch out after a year anyway. Instead, they get one of the toughest wide receivers in the league, a guy who still showed up and gave it everything he had despite a two-year-running conflict over his contract (no small thing).

And unlike replacing Cutler with Kyle Orton, the Broncos can actually sell this to their fans as an improvement in on-field talent. Boldin and Eddie Royal would still be one of the best WR duos in the AFC, and definitely the best in the AFC West.

Arizona, meanwhile, gets to end its ongoing drama regarding Boldin’s contract and replace him with Marshall, an absolute beast on the field with seven 100-plus receiving yard games over the past two seasons (Boldin has five).

And can you imagine being an NFC West defensive coordinator facing a trio of Larry Fitzgerald, Marshall and Steve Breaston? That’s arguably scarier than Fitzgerald-Boldin-Breaston, if only because Marshall is a little bit more flexible in stretching the field than is Boldin.

Would this trade ever happen? Probably not. Like so many “what-ifs” during the NFL offseason (or any other league’s offseason), chances are fairly high this goes nowhere. Why take a chance when you can do nothing instead?

So Marshall is likely destined to be a malcontent in Denver, waiting to get franchised next season, then hold out.

Then he'll get hurt (hamstring, quad or something like that), and finally hit free agency, get paid big by Al Davis, then get robbed, beat up and left unconscious in an alleyway after spraying champagne on unhappy patrons at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas (That was a Javon Walker reference if you didn’t recognize it).

And Boldin will likely finally get a new deal with Arizona, then get unceremoniously traded or released in three years after injuries slow him down just enough to no longer force the defense to respect his deep ability (think Torry Holt, except Boldin actually accepts contact rather than falling down like a soccer player).

But maybe working with Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner actually settles down Marshall, and instead of Javon Walker, he becomes a modern-day Cris Carter.

And maybe playing in Josh McDaniels’ system prolongs Boldin’s health (worked for 32-year-old Randy Moss) and he goes on to be the best Broncos receiver since Rod Smith.

Maybe.

We’ll see.

Author Poll

Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall
vote to see results
Author Poll Results

Anquan Boldin
71.4%

Brandon Marshall
28.6%

Total votes: 14
Rate This Article

tumbana
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Not happenening. That trade makes absolutely NO sense for the Cardinals, which is why the title says SHOULD. It's an opinion piece.

Boldin wants out because he wants a new contract.

Marshall wants out because he wants a new contract.

Boldin is relatively healthy.

Marshall is coming off hip surgery.

Boldin has 2 years left on his contract.

This is Marshall's contract year.

Boldin never gets in trouble and I don't believe he has ever skipped anything mandatory.

Marshall has a pending trial in August and has had past behavior that make him possibly one incident away from a lengthy suspension.
Anquan Boldin is also better and has already shown in his career that he can dominate without much more talent around him.

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
once again thanks for your brilliant unsight..:salute:

please come again

underrated29
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
this guy just now thought of the boldin for marshall trade......He is a smart one.

i didnt even read the article, but thanks for posting tko.

I would gladly every day have brandon or boldin. Brandon has yet to even begin to maximise his potential. And he is almost as good as boldin. In some ways better, in some ways worse. Yes there is the off field incidents, but you cant always have a WR who is a badass and team player, and perfect off field. Thats why Rod Smiths are so rare.

Brandon for me please.

tumbana
07-01-2009, 01:27 PM
once again thanks for your brilliant unsight..:salute:

please come again

Thanks.

LRtagger
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
he can dominate without much more talent around him.

LOL what...he's not even the #1 on his team.

I've been proposing this deal since day one. But I suggested throwing in a 3rd round selection along with Brandon.

BroncoWave
07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't think the Cardinals are that dumb though. We'd have to give them more than just Marshall. I'd be ok with BM and a 3rd.

tumbana
07-01-2009, 01:37 PM
LOL what...he's not even the #1 on his team.

I've been proposing this deal since day one. But I suggested throwing in a 3rd round selection along with Brandon.
He's not the #1 on his own team because Fitzgerald is just ridiculous and the best WR in the NFL. It's not like he has Eddie Royal on the other side of him. There is a reason they are the best WR tandem in history. Boldin had the best numbers of any WR for a good part of the season despite missing games and getting crushed and badly injured. He came back and still played great. My statement is true. Look at his numbers pre-Fitzgerald and Warner. You can even include Fitzgerald's rookie season since he wasn't as big a part of the offense until the next year. Go ahead and let me know what you find.

LRtagger
07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
He's not the #1 on his own team because Fitzgerald is just ridiculous and the best WR in the NFL. It's not like he has Eddie Royal on the other side of him. There is a reason they are the best WR tandem in history. Boldin had the best numbers of any WR for a good part of the season despite missing games and getting crushed and badly injured. He came back and still played great. My statement is true. Look at his numbers pre-Fitzgerald and Warner. You can even include Fitzgerald's rookie season since he wasn't as big a part of the offense until the next year. Go ahead and let me know what you find.

I'm not saying he's not a stud, but that doesn't prove your point valid. You said he has shown to be a great receiver THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER without much talent around him...sorry, but he was only the top dog for one year and probably a big reason he wants out of AZ because he is playing second fiddle to the best WR in the game.

And actually, Fitz had more catches and yards than Boldin in 04 (Fitz's rookie year). Boldin has been the #2 since 04 after he was stellar his rookie season (03). He was only in the league for one year w/o Fitz and two without Kurt. The best season of his career was Kurt's first year in AZ when they threw the ball over 650 times.

So no, your statement is not true. Boldin has had plenty of talent around him....at least on the offensive side of the ball in regards to the passing game.

But yes Boldin is better than Marshall. I would take Boldin all day over Marshall. Which is why Marshall is crazy if he expects to make top 5 money with his history.

tumbana
07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not saying he's not a stud, but that doesn't prove your point valid. You said he has shown to be a great receiver THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER without much talent around him...sorry, but he was only the top dog for one year and probably a big reason he wants out of AZ because he is playing second fiddle to the best WR in the game.

And actually, Fitz had more catches and yards than Boldin in 04 (Fitz's rookie year). Boldin has been the #2 since 04 after he was stellar his rookie season (03). He was only in the league for one year w/o Fitz and two without Kurt. The best season of his career was Kurt's first year in AZ when they threw the ball over 650 times.

So no, your statement is not true. Boldin has had plenty of talent around him....at least on the offensive side of the ball in regards to the passing game.

But yes Boldin is better than Marshall. I would take Boldin all day over Marshall. Which is why Marshall is crazy if he expects to make top 5 money with his history.

03 counts. Considering he was a rookie and was pretty much the only player on offense worth anything, that's pretty impressive, so he did show he could do it alone. In 05, he played two less games and still put up identical stats. IHe can do it without Fitzgerald and that's the point I am trying to make.

LRtagger
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
He could maybe do it without Fitz, but to say Fitz and Kurt haven't been a total and complete asset to the guy is utterly wrong. He has had plenty of talent around him...one HOF WR and a probable HOF QB.

He was great in 03 as a rookie, but one great year does not prove that he would have continued doing it.

Regardless I think he would be a great #1 on any team and definitely an asset to the Broncos. Like I said I would throw a mid-round pick with Marshall to get him here.

underrated29
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Id rather just give brandon the contract he deserves and keep our picks for some DT and any other needs we have next year.

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
03 counts. Considering he was a rookie and was pretty much the only player on offense worth anything, that's pretty impressive, so he did show he could do it alone. In 05, he played two less games and still put up identical stats. IHe can do it without Fitzgerald and that's the point I am trying to make.

hmmmmmm.... yet another double standard presented to you by tumbana....the folks who brought you such classics as "cutler made marshall" and "recievers arent any good unless they have a great qb"....blah blah blah
so let me get this straight....marshall and royal will now suck that orton is our qb,but warner had nothing to do with boldin and fitz having their best seasons......got it !:D

tumbana
07-01-2009, 04:08 PM
hmmmmmm.... yet another double standard presented to you by tumbana....the folks who brought you such classics as "cutler made marshall" and "recievers arent any good unless they have a great qb"....blah blah blah
so let me get this straight....marshall and royal will now suck that orton is our qb,but warner had nothing to do with boldin and fitz having their best seasons......got it !:D

Boldin and Fitz have ALREADY SHOWN they can do it without a great QB. Marshall and royal have not. They are also both significantly better than Marshall and Royal. They are the best duo in history. Marshall and Royal are not. That's why simply swapping Marshall and Boldin don't work, which I explained earlier in the thread.

Also look at Steve Breaston since Warner has arrived to show how a good QB can have an effect on the non-elite WRs if you want to. Notice how the Cardinals couldn't get anywhere until they got a good QB and their DEFENSE caught fire and RUNNING BACKS were actually being used.

GEM
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM

If you want to have smack conversations, we have a forum for that. I think you have received enough warnings on this issue that if you can't move over there yourself, we can do that for you.

Dirk
07-02-2009, 05:38 AM
You know...I just want guys that WANT to be in Orange and Blue. I am sick of the "trade me" crap. Just give me a guy with talent and a desire to win and be a Bronco and I am good with that.

It they don't want to play in Denver....seeya buh-bye!