PDA

View Full Version : Not Your Quinn-tessential Rookie (Merged)

Dirk
07-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Not Your Quinn-tessential Rookie

Richard Quinn has embraced the opportunity to learn from the Broncos' veteran tight ends.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL's most heralded players are ones capable of making an impact with or without the ball.

Broncos rookie Richard Quinn is on course to join that club.

In college, the 6-foot-4 tight end established himself as a standout blocker. Head Coach Josh McDaniels saw something else when selecting him in the 2009 NFL Draft: soft hands.

"He didn't catch a lot of balls at (the University of) North Carolina, but that wasn't because he can't catch," McDaniels said. "They didn't use him that way very much in their system, in their scheme, but he showed very good hands during the course of the spring."

Along with those strong hands comes a strong head on his shoulders. The 22-year-old has made use of his first two months with the Broncos, soaking in as much knowledge as possible to prepare for his first pro season.

"I always try to pay attention to what the veteran guys are doing first so when it's time for me to go up, I know exactly what to do," Quinn said.

That shadowing process has been aided by the presence of established tight ends on the Broncos' roster. When searching for veteran advice, Quinn has three proven sources in Daniel Graham, Jeb Putzier and Tony Scheffler, who sport a combined 16 years of NFL experience.

To top it off, Graham has previous experience in McDaniels' system, which makes use of the multi-faceted skill set that the position requires.

"It's difficult for a tight end in this offense," Graham said. "We have to know so much, just like everybody else. But tight ends, we do so much -- in the blocking game, in the passing game -- so we have to know a lot. It's tough if you don't understand it."

Quinn has yet to experience that problem to date. Under the tutelage of Graham, he has pinpointed the intangibles that define strong pro tight ends -- knowing what to do at the line of scrimmage, being fast off the ball and measuring the right depth on passing routes.

Beyond fostering an early recognition of those skills, Graham has helped Quinn brew an equally important trait: confidence.

"It makes me feel very comfortable," Quinn said of Graham's help. "Going out on the field and when it comes for me to run a play, I'm feeling pretty confident. That's been a big help -- just having him give me those little words of advice and stuff like that to execute a play -- and things to work on."

While Quinn has confidence in his own skills, McDaniels has confidence in the rookie's role for the upcoming season. The coach believes he adds a new thread to an already diverse corps.

"He can catch the ball, he's got soft hands, we can move him, and he certainly can handle his own on the line as a blocker," McDaniels said. "But when you're going to use two and three tight end packages during the course of the season, you'd love to have three guys that you feel good about. To have three guys that can run block, pass block, catch passes in the passing game and make an impact at more than one thing, I think that's very valuable to us."

As for Quinn, he's nothing but ready for the start of camp -- the day when he can display the value of taking those extra steps.

"I feel like I'm getting there," he said. "I'm feeling pretty confident right now and I just want to keep that to help me transition into the phase of training camp."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9132

Dirk
07-01-2009, 06:43 AM
It's great to see good news from time to time out of an offseason full of bad news!

SoCalImport
07-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Quinn sounds like he may be the real deal, and Graham has a huge contract....just sayin

LRtagger
07-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Three TE sets with Graham, Scheff, and Quinn...Hello Endzone.

Dirk
07-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I agree. More and more, news comes out that McD actually knew what he was doing when going after the players that he did. Maybe those that are still hanging him over the draft should step back and think more positive. (did I say that out loud???)

LRtagger
07-01-2009, 08:11 AM
No dude, it is asinine to think the guy that designed the entire offense would know what players would work best in it.

He should have only drafted the players that everyone mocked him to draft.

Dirk
07-01-2009, 08:25 AM
:lol:

T.K.O.
07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
it could well be a tough year to be a bronco fan,but everyone should be just a little excited about all the changes going on.
sure we lost a qb and a formerly great coach....maybe a beast of a wr eventually as well, but we have a system being installed that has proven to be one of the most prolific in league history. we got arguably the best young (potentially) rb to come along since a.p.,and last but not least there is a good chance we will have a defense by the end of next season!!!!!wooo hoo:defense:
i am excited to see whta happens in 09' and think we might surprise alot of folks and win the division (as long as the bolts have their patented slow start)
but even more so about 2010.by then mcd will have a good grip on the team and nolan will have his guys in place . and we fans can go into the season "expecting" instead of "hoping" to make the playoffs !:salute:

p.s. oops off topic...what i meant to say is i think we got some steals in the draft and quinn looks like he might be one of them !

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 09:20 AM
I noticed the PUTZ was mentioned before Schefter in the article .. One has to wonder if that means something other than them being in alphabetical order..

Remember that PUTZ was Jakes relief value and had great hands when making the catch.. was like a BIG Eddie (Timex) MAC almost always took a HUGE hit when making the catch..

Also seem to remember Nate being on the team still but was not mentioned.

If Quinn is indeed Grahams potential replacement because of a huge contract. It may be a year or two before he does.. Or perhaps a huge reason for Graham accepting a smaller contract from here on out..

frauschieze
07-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I noticed the PUTZ was mentioned before Schefter in the article .. One has to wonder if that means something other than them being in alphabetical order..

Remember that PUTZ was Jakes relief value and had great hands when making the catch.. was like a BIG Eddie (Timex) MAC almost always took a HUGE hit when making the catch..

If Quinn is indeed Grahams potential replacement because of a huge contract. It may be a year or two before he does.. Or perhaps a huge reason for Graham accepting a smaller contract from here on out..

Jackson's long gone.

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Jackson's long gone.
:salute:
I was pretty sure they brought him back, maybe it was PUTZ I was thinking off .. does anyone remember when Nate got cut?

frenchfan
07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
it could well be a tough year to be a bronco fan,but everyone should be just a little excited about all the changes going on.
sure we lost a qb and a formerly great coach....maybe a beast of a wr eventually as well, but we have a system being installed that has proven to be one of the most prolific in league history. we got arguably the best young (potentially) rb to come along since a.p.,and last but not least there is a good chance we will have a defense by the end of next season!!!!!wooo hoo:defense:
i am excited to see whta happens in 09' and think we might surprise alot of folks and win the division (as long as the bolts have their patented slow start)
but even more so about 2010.by then mcd will have a good grip on the team and nolan will have his guys in place . and we fans can go into the season "expecting" instead of "hoping" to make the playoffs !:salute:

p.s. oops off topic...what i meant to say is i think we got some steals in the draft and quinn looks like he might be one of them !We won't rebuild a team in only 1 year... Especially our D...
This is a 1st step... More to come next year IMO.

Sure, I would have liked to keep Jay, but what is done is done... I'm dying to see what Orton can produce in McD's system...

What I like about this offseason is the spirit... Dove Valley won't be a soft place anymore... Work, work work... And play 200%... that's how I like my players... Talent is one thing... But work and dedication is another... Both works... Of course, the best is when you have both of them at the same time...

Damn... the offseason is always toooooo looooong... :D

:beer:

Traveler
07-01-2009, 10:10 AM

I'm guessing that Putzier is the odd man out unless he excels on ST's.

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm guessing that PUTZ is the odd man out unless he excels on ST's.

I'd be surprised to see them carry less than 4 TE's.. NE for example carried 5 last year..

titan
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
whoops - sorry i missed the earlier post. Interesting article and encouraging that quinn may contribute more this year than I expected.

Lonestar
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
dup threads merged..

rcsodak
07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
:salute:
I was pretty sure they brought him back, maybe it was PUTZ I was thinking off .. does anyone remember when Nate got cut?

Thankfully, Nate-the-hanger-on got cut early on, along with the other overpaid/underachieving vets.

WARHORSE
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I agree. More and more, news comes out that McD actually knew what he was doing when going after the players that he did. Maybe those that are still hanging him over the draft should step back and think more positive. (did I say that out loud???)

No, but we're feelin ya.:D

WARHORSE
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I like Quinn. I was shocked when we drafted him, but after researching him and watching what little tape there is of him that I could find, I like the pick big time.

Having two really good blocking TEs who can catch and run is a problem for defenses. Having three gives you matchup abilities that no one else can pose for opposing defenses.

Within 10-12 yards and in of the goaline, Id think our TEs pose a real problem for our opponents. Are we gonna run or are we gonna pass? And if we're gonna pass, which, and how many of our three TEs is gonna squirt out for you to cover, and whos gonna cover them?

rcsodak
07-04-2009, 12:46 AM
I like Quinn. I was shocked when we drafted him, but after researching him and watching what little tape there is of him that I could find, I like the pick big time.

Having two really good blocking TEs who can catch and run is a problem for defenses. Having three gives you matchup abilities that no one else can pose for opposing defenses.

Within 10-12 yards and in of the goaline, Id think our TEs pose a real problem for our opponents. Are we gonna run or are we gonna pass? And if we're gonna pass, which, and how many of our three TEs is gonna squirt out for you to cover, and whos gonna cover them?

Ooohhhhhhh.....

...if it only worked out that way...... :tsk: