PDA

View Full Version : Rick Upchurch battling cancer, raising money for chemo

broncofaninfla
07-06-2012, 11:56 AM
For those of you that don't know, Rick Upchurch was the best returner this team has ever had bar none. He was one heck of a player for Denver and my first favorite player. As a kid I mailed him two football cards to sign. He not only signed them both but mailed me back a box of Broncos goodies signed by him and other players at that time. To say that impacted me would be an understatment. It's sad to see a player like this struggling for money to pay medical costs, epecially given how much some of these players make in this day and age.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/02/rick-upchurch-battling-cancer-raising-money-for-chemotherapy/

broncofaninfla
07-09-2012, 11:44 AM
More on this story.

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/former-bronco-rick-upchurch-embraced-warmly-by-puebloans/article_1a7edb4e-c3ff-11e1-8fff-0019bb2963f4.html

TXBRONC
07-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Upchurch was one of my favorite players when I was growing up.

It is sad to here that he struggling with his health and wih paying his bills.

broncofaninfla
07-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Upchurch was one of my favorite players when I was growing up.

It is sad to here that he struggling with his health and wih paying his bills.

Agreed. He was the original number 80 and a very exciting player to watch not to mention a total class act .

GEM
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
And the multi billion dollar NFL conglomerate can't step in and help these former players. :rolleyes:

broncofaninfla
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
And the multi billion dollar NFL conglomerate can't step in and help these former players. :rolleyes:

Agreed!

FanInAZ
07-17-2012, 07:07 PM

Bree$ had to get paid.

Dzone
07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Rick Upchurch is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet. Always smiling. Always has a nice word for everyone he meets. I knew him well when he and his wife lived in Colorado.
I hope he will be ok. God Bless Rick Upchurch.

cowboyman
05-20-2020, 12:08 PM
This situation is so sad, of course I will help him

BroncoJoe
05-20-2020, 12:27 PM
This situation is so sad, of course I will help him

Uh, he's been in remission since 2015...

Denver Native (Carol)
05-20-2020, 01:50 PM
Uh, he's been in remission since 2015...

Yes, the article posted was done in 2012. Here is an article from 2017 which states:

"Five years ago Rick was diagnosed with CML, Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. He has been in remission for 4 years. He credits his outlook to the “Boss Man”, his wife Donna. She says get your butt up and out of the house."

article - Ring of Famer Rick Upchurch Speaks to our Club!
https://denverbroncosqbclub.com/2017/01/02/ring-of-famer-rick-upchurch-speaks-to-our-club/

BroncoJoe
05-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Where are these people coming from that bump 5-10 year old threads?

Jsteve01
05-20-2020, 10:41 PM

It's more the players but a guarantee Pat Bowlen would have taken care of Upchurch. The issue is that the players union has zero care for the older guys that paved the way for these ridiculous salaries. I knew Mike Montler who blocked for Oj and was the center in our first Super Bowl team.

He wouldn't even watch the NFL because he was so disgusted that the current millionaire players refused to even cover insurance for the older guys. He finished his working career working for ups. Horrible and it's always tainted my view when talking about situations like Upchurch having to raise money. There should be a fund for any tenured former player who needs help.

GEM
05-21-2020, 06:44 AM
It's more the players but a guarantee Pat Bowlen would have taken care of Upchurch. The issue is that the players union has zero care for the older guys that paved the way for these ridiculous salaries. I knew Mike Montler who blocked for Oj and was the center in our first Super Bowl team.

He wouldn't even watch the NFL because he was so disgusted that the current millionaire players refused to even cover insurance for the older guys. He finished his working career working for ups. Horrible and it's always tainted my view when talking about situations like Upchurch having to raise money. There should be a fund for any tenured former player who needs help.

It's not the current players problem. It should be the NFL's problem. The best example is the year the hof rolled out a former Browns player in a wheelchair battling dementia. His kids said great honor but what their father really needed was for the NFL to help with his medical bills. The NFL needs to right the wrongs of the past of their organization, not the players.

MOtorboat
05-27-2020, 04:06 PM
That’s about as scummy of a bump troll bot post as has ever been made.

Well done.