PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos News & Notes

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Posted Jun 28, 2009

Broncos Update takes a look at where the team stands as they prepare for the 2009 season, and what the loss of Brandon Marshall might mean in the long run.

The Denver Broncos already lost quarterback Jay Cutler this offseason, so dealing another Pro Bowl offensive player is far from ideal. Receiver Brandon Marshall wants to be dealt, but the Broncos don't appear in a rush to accommodate that wish.

That could lead to more drama for a team that has had its share this offseason. Marshall could hold out of training camp, creating a distraction.

Marshall would also fall behind in learning the new offense and working with new quarterback Kyle Orton, which would hurt the team on the field. Marshall hasn't practiced at all this offseason because of hip surgery.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he's willing to go with the receivers that are willing to play for him, which he might have to do if Marshall digs in and doesn't report to the Broncos for a while.

OFFSEASON STANDOUT: Tight end Tony Scheffler started his offseason wondering what his role was with the team. As OTA practices went on, it became very apparent that McDaniels will find a big role for him. The Patriots weren't tight-end friendly with McDaniels calling plays, but Scheffler is the kind of talent McDaniels has to utilize. He is fast and has great hands, and is a matchup problem for most teams. Also, Scheffler had a healthy offseason, and could have a breakout year if he avoids injuries this season.

LINEUP WATCH: The Broncos are set in the middle of the defense with Andra Davis and D.J. Williams holding the inside linebacker spots. On the outside, it's a little tougher to project, especially since the team decided to move on without Boss Bailey, who was coming off major knee surgery and was released.

Most of the best options - Elvis Dumervil, Darrell Reid, Tim Crowder and rookie Robert Ayers - are natural 4-3 defensive linemen making the adjustment to playing standing up. Ayers spent most of the latter part of the minicamp practices at outside linebacker and not end, but the coaching staff plans to use him in both spots.

ROOKIE IMPRESSIONS: While Knowshon Moreno was running behind LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter for the offseason practices, the Broncos will use the 12th overall pick of the draft often this season. His exact role is uncertain - McDaniels liked to use a full committee in New England with many backs providing different looks - but he has shown he has the ability to play in the NFL. As soon as he shows a veteran-like command of the playbook, he should move quickly up the depth chart.

INJURY WATCH: Although all eyes are on Marshall and his potential holdout, he is still recovering from hip surgery. The team hopes he would be physically ready to go by the start of training camp, but they haven't had a chance to test it out. If the team decides not to trade Marshall, and Marshall comes to camp, his health will bear watching.

CONTRACT TO WATCH: The main issue Denver has before training camp will be with Marshall, but the Broncos also have two first-round picks to sign. Denver has never had two first-round picks in team history. There will be a challenge to get Moreno and Ayers both signed before the first practices. The Broncos have had a great track record getting their draft picks into camp on time

http://den.scout.com/2/875563.html

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 07:57 PM
• Denver claimed receiver C.J. Jones(notes) off waivers. Jones spent time with Cleveland in 2003 and with New England in 2008, with current Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. The team could be stocking up on depth in light of Brandon Marshall’s potential training camp holdout.

• Broncos center Casey Wiegmann(notes) is one of four NFL players to play for Ed Thomas, the legendary Iowa high school football coach at Aplington-Parkersburg who was tragically shot and killed on June 24. Wiegmann released a statement through the team talking about Thomas.

“I was extremely saddened to hear the news this morning about the passing of Coach Ed Thomas,” Wiegmann said. “He was a great Christian man. I learned a lot from him, both as a player and a man.”

• Spencer Larsen(notes), who played fullback and linebacker for the Broncos last season, started the offseason getting a lot of reps at linebacker, but spent much of the latter part of the team’s camps at fullback. He should provide depth on both sides of the ball for the Broncos.

• Jarvis Moss(notes), the team’s 2007 first-round pick, has been working at outside linebacker but didn’t get much practice time with the first two units this offseason. Moss, a natural 4-3 end, might need to make an impression in training camp to get off the roster bubble.

Quote To Note: “I cannot begin to count the number of lives he affected in this community. I know I carry many of the lessons I learned from him with me every day. My family and I pray for Coach Thomas’ family.” - Wiegmann, on the shooting of Thomas, his high-school coach.

Strategy And Personnel

The Broncos signed the first of their 10 draft picks, TCU center Blake Schlueter(notes), a seventh-round pick, in early June. Aside from trying to come to a resolution on Brandon Marshall’s situation, the team’s biggest issue before training camp will be hammering out deals with all of their draft picks.

Denver will also keep an eye on the waiver wire. The Broncos claimed receiver C.J. Jones off waivers on June 24, showing they’re still working to reshape the roster. Denver would have to consider any help on the defensive line or at linebacker, but impact players aren’t easy to find on the street during the summer.

horsepig
06-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Man, I hope Moss is not just a total washout. The Goodman's are gone, good man. Defense wins and we haven't even sniffed a freat defeensive player since, well DJ?

DJ?

dogfish
06-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Man, I hope Moss is not just a total washout. The Goodman's are gone, good man. Defense wins and we haven't even sniffed a freat defeensive player since, well DJ?

DJ?

twenty sacks his first two years was pretty damn good production from doom, especially for a fourth rounder-- but you're right for the most part, we haven't drafted shit for impact defenders in a long time. . . hopefully ayers can break that trend. . .

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 02:19 AM
I was hoping that a coach that would teach the pass rushers something other than a bullrush would actually help Moss make a contribution.......

sneakers
06-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Wasn't it John Elway's Birthday yesterday? (or is it tomorrow?)

Traveler
06-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Arizona has a potential "bust" problem with DT Alan Branch (6'-5" 338). If either Moss or Branch don't make an impact during training camp, it might be worth it for Denver to look into swapping the two players.

Arizona seems to need a 4-3 DE and we need another big body NT. Of course if this were to happen, Denver should get another pick or picks thrown in since Moss was a 1st rounder and Branch was selected in the second round.

All that said, my hope is that Moss can make the adjustment and become a force at OLB for us.

SoCalImport
06-29-2009, 10:57 AM
If Moss finds no place of consequence on this team THIS year, I'd be amazed if we got ANYTHING of consequence (pick or player) for him.

broncofaninfla
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Arizona has a potential "bust" problem with DT Alan Branch (6'-5" 338). If either Moss or Branch don't make an impact during training camp, it might be worth it for Denver to look into swapping the two players.

Arizona seems to need a 4-3 DE and we need another big body NT. Of course if this were to happen, Denver should get another pick or picks thrown in since Moss was a 1st rounder and Branch was selected in the second round.

All that said, my hope is that Moss can make the adjustment and become a force at OLB for us.

I like this idea!