PDA

View Full Version : Positional Power Rankings: QB packages (Fox Sports)

turftoad
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
This is ugly. Broncos at #32 for QB positional ranking packages.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9735822/Positional-Power-Rankings:-QB-packages

Tned
06-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to post this. It is QB packages, so it includes the backups, but obviously Orton and Simms aren't getting much love at Foxsports.

turftoad
06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone was going to post this. It is QB packages, so it includes the backups, but obviously Orton and Simms aren't getting much love at Foxsports.

I don't know if we are #32 or not but probably not far off.

The regular season will determine that.

Tned
06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't know if we are #32 or not but probably not far off.

The regular season will determine that.

Yep. What Orton does on the field with McDaniel's scheme will matter more than this ranking.

topscribe
06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I personally don't necessarily agree with it, but I can see their reasoning.

Some of it might be backlash from Cutler's exodus. We have all read and read
again, ad nauseam, that "Orton is no Cutler." While it is true that Orton does
not have physical tools to Cutler's degree, neither do Manning or Brady, frankly,
so I'm more inclined to optimistically wait and see.

Meanwhile, how could the position be ranked much higher with not only Orton
being an unknown for us, but Simms also, who has not been healthy enough to
show what he can do?

-----

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Since no reporter type likes either bill or any of his spawn this makes sense.

What happens on the field has more relevance.

Will we be top ten EOY probably not but then we weren't last year either in scoring or winning and that is what counts.

T.K.O.
06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
they have the ravens in better shape than the giants? i,m not worried about this particular ranking,i dont see how we are #32 the niners have nobody and the raiders will likely end up with garcia after about 3-4 weeks of getting crushed.
i would have liked us to pick up garcia though....dude still has game !
all in all id say we will get mid-level play out of orton ,wont be top 10 but wont be bottom 10 either.
and hopefully combined with an improved defensive effort and the best running game in the league(oh yeah i said it) CHAMPIONSHIP!:elefant:

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Even I think 32nd is low, is it possible for Sage Rosenfels and Shaun Hill to be overrated?.......

BroncoTech
06-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I think that a couple years ago Orton was a 3rd string backup to Brian Griese, and that's the stuff nightmares are made of. I hated the Griese years, knowing we still had the super bowl pieces and nothing to show for it.

On the bright side there's only up from here.

NameUsedBefore
06-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I'd move us to right below the Vikings, but beyond that I agree that our QB outlook is utter crap atm. It reminds me of the Buccaneers of the past years more than anyone.

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, I think that a couple years ago Orton was a 3rd string backup to Brian Griese, and that's the stuff nightmares are made of. I hated the Griese years, knowing we still had the super bowl pieces and nothing to show for it.

I think the Griese years are a good comparison for Denver right now, only there aren't many SuperBowl pieces on defense.

I remember defending Griese a lot, not because he was that good (I didn't like him at all), but because people expected him to be something he's not, Griese and Orton are very similar but this time around I don't think people have those kinds of expectations.

It's a sad commentary when the Denver Broncos have regressed far enough at QB that Broncos fans have lowered their annually sky-high expectations for the position, but it seems like that's exactly where the Broncos are at the moment.......

tripleoption
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Like has been pointed out, we'll see how the season goes. Perhaps the Broncos deserve to be #32. All I have to say is that rankings are simply someone else's opinion.

MasterShake
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I stopped reading when I saw the Chargers at #3. Then I threw up on my laptop. I'll be back.

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 07:30 PM
"But Caleb Hanie and Brett Basanez as backups? Chicago's front office should be ashamed to head into the season with no proven backup."

They had to trade their proven backup to get their proven starter, that's not so bad.......

Tned
06-28-2009, 07:51 PM

A young Griese would probably play pretty well in McD's offense.

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM

His scheme does take advantage of brains over brawn..

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 08:15 PM
I would think a brilliant offensive mind like Josh McDaniels would be equally able to take advantage of Brawn as Brains, and just because you can get by with Griese at QB, it doesn't mean you have to.

And you had better develop an All-Time Great defense if you plan on doing more than just getting by.......

Benetto
06-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Honestly, I can care less what any body has to say about the Broncos before they even play ONE game..With ONE month before mini camps...

Fox should stick to fraudulent reality shows and Idols...Not sports.

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I would think a brilliant offensive mind like Josh McDaniels would be equally able to take advantage of Brawn as Brains, and just because you can get by with Griese at QB, it doesn't mean you have to.

And you had better develop an All-Time Great defense if you plan on doing more than just getting by.......

maybe he could have BUT brawn did not give it a chance now did he once he got his panties in a wad...

we all know now that once mikey left and bates did not want to be on the team jay wanted out at any cost..

me I would have set him on his ass till his attitude got right..

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
maybe he could have BUT brawn did not give it a chance now did he once he got his panties in a wad...

we all know now that once mikey left and bates did not want to be on the team jay wanted out at any cost..

me I would have set him on his ass till his attitude got right..

Fans of Josh McDaniels ought not be running smack about getting attitudes right, it's McDaniels attitude that's made the majority of this offseason forgettable.

Benching Cutler makes perfect sense, btw, you may hurt your trade value but when all is said and done you could have traded him for that 37th pick and saved that 2010 No1 for aquiring another Brian Griese.......

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 08:38 PM
It's Cutler's attitude that's made the majority of this offseason forgettable.

Fixed it for you.

I also love how everyone has drawn a line in the sand over Cutler/McDaniels. It's quite pathetic, actually.

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
Broncos fans pathetic? pft.......

topscribe
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I stopped reading when I saw the Chargers at #3. Then I threw up on my laptop. I'll be back.

Isn't that the second time you've done that?

You've got to stop abusing that thing . . .

-----

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Broncos fans pathetic? pft.......

I don't know what "pft" means, but automatically calling people "fans of McDaniels" as people who don't mind that The Child was traded is pathetic.

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know what "pft" means, but automatically calling people "fans of McDaniels" as people who don't mind that The Child was traded is pathetic.

I still can't figure out what this is saying.......I'm pathetic? So be it.

I'm clearly in over my head, all I was saying is that Jr shouldn't be criticizing The Brawn/The Child when he is such a huge fan of Josh McDaniels, both are guilty of the same things.

Btw, you've obviously positioned yourself on one side of that line that you think is so pathetic, I also couldn't help but notice that you've stooped to name-calling, I love irony.......

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 09:44 PM

I'm clearly in over my head, all I was saying is that Jr shouldn't be criticizing The Brawn/The Child when he is such a huge fan of Josh McDaniels, both are guilty of the same things.

Btw, you've obviously positioned yourself on one side of that line that you think is so pathetic, I also couldn't help but notice that you've stooped to name-calling, I love irony.......

The argument is pathetic.

I guess that was beyond you, so yes, you are over your head. No one is a big fan of McDaniels, especially in the manner in which you refer to it.

Rational people understand that he must be given more than an off-season to prove that it was or wasn't a good move. I will condemn him just as much as you when he proves that he sucks. But, I will refrain from making the idiotic assumption that he is a failure without even coaching one game. I can't explain how idiotic that is.

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 10:02 PM

For the record I have not stated I love Josh. But merely want to see how he does.

As it is certain that mike was not getting it done the last few years. Josh brings a fresh perspective to DEN and cry baby jay could/did not wish to try it.

Now jay has an arm there is no doubt about that BUT whether he had the brains or attitude to play in the new scheme that was being introduced here is.
Like it or not both jay and mike are gone.

Josh and Orton are are both broncos and whom I now support.

Superchop 7
06-28-2009, 11:16 PM
There is a serious flaw in their grading.

You put anyone behind our o-line and they will produce.

I don't like our QB's, but get real.

Middle of the pack is where I see it.

BroncoTech
06-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Yes he'd play pretty well for the first 2 games then fall apart like a Walmart suit like he did in every other system he was in.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
For the record I have not stated I love Josh. But merely want to see how he does.

As it is certain that mike was not getting it done the last few years. Josh brings a fresh perspective to DEN and cry baby jay could/did not wish to try it.

Now jay has an arm there is no doubt about that BUT whether he had the brains or attitude to play in the new scheme that was being introduced here is.
Like it or not both jay and mike are gone.

Josh and Orton are are both broncos and whom I now support.

Assuming Josh McDaniels is a failure before he ever coaches a game makes me irrational, pathetic and idiotic, but assuming Cutler didn't have the brains or attitude to play in the new scheme is not irrational, pathetic and idiotic?

Funny how that works, funny how the Jayhate goes unchallenged but when it comes to McDaniels, anything less than "I'm waiting til they play a game" is trolling.

"You can be as negative and immature as you want just as long as it's towards somebody I don't like"<-- That's the very definition of "Pathetic".

Btw, I never assumed Josh McDaniels will be a failure, I've already said I expect the Second Coming.......

Shazam!
06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Cutler was nothing but immature and showed he will be uncooperative before MCDaniels was even named or introduced as Coach by publicly throwing a hissyfit.

This team was unmotivated, uninspired, unprepared and generally sloppy. McD has every right to do whatever he sees fit for this marginal .500 football team and the joke of the AFCW last season. After watching so many gut-wrenching game I welcome the change.

Denver did not lose John Elway II.

People root for the uniform first and players second.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Hey, the QB wearing our uniform may suck but at least he's not immature. Awesome.......

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Speaking of Brian Griese, I remember Broncos fans being so offended that he was uneffected by the possibility if Shanahan going to Florida, "If he goes he goes, if he stays he stays", but now that Cutler was upset that Shanahan was fired, he's "Immature and uncooperative".

Now that's rational.......

Shazam!
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM
So, Cutler was cooperative and mature then?

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Going to bat for the coaches that made you what you are is immature and uncooperative?

That's neither here, nor there, think what you want, I'm just pointing out the irony. I couldn't care any less either way, I'm more concerned about their ability on the football field than their future as "Mature" Politicians.......

LRtagger
06-29-2009, 09:11 AM
This is so stupid...were the Bears #32 last year? Because if they werent, then this is OBVIOUSLY biased.

T.K.O.
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
mcdaniels is the coach of THE DENVER BRONCOS....cutler is the qb of THE CHICAGO BEARS .
therefore i am a fan of mcdaniels NOT cutler .seems pretty simple to me !:D

and as for the brains over brawn argument...both cutler and orton are smart guys and could probably beat anybody on this site at arm wrestling so....
but seriously mcd's system definately depends more on decision making than arm strength so i dont see the point of that issue.
we will win more games in the next 2 years than chicago,i do believe that !:salute:

In-com-plete
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd give my left testicle to have Brian Griese right now.

And that . . . makes me wanna puke.

NorthernLights
07-01-2009, 08:21 PM
It looks like they have changed around some of these rankings from when this was first published. Hmmmm, are they allowed to do that?

FanInAZ
07-02-2009, 02:56 AM
There are 124 QBs factoring into this ranking. :confused: What percentage of these QBs have ever taken a snap in the NFL? :confused: What percentage will take a snap this year? :confused: What percentage will even be on a NFL roster come opening day? :confused: I doubt that the Niners will carry 5 QBs and the Raiders 6. Then again, I really should put anything past them.

Bottom line, QBs or not like any other posistion because teams that win only play one per game barring injuries or ineffectiveness. They don't come out for breathers, situational substitutions or change of pace players.

:confused: Therefore, how can you accurately rate a teams entire QB package when you have no way of knowing who will even get a chance to play? :confused:

If someone wants to rate Kyle Orton as our projected starter, I'd be interested. :coffee: As far as this ranking chart, I could care less. :coffee:

LRtagger
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
hahaha i just noticed that they call Matt Cassell a "Stud" lolol

underrated29
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
m
we will win more games in the next 2 years than chicago,i do believe that !:salute:

Why do you say that???? Just curious.

As i see it, the bears will win 10-12 games this year. Next year they could win even more.

For us, i see about 10 wins, next year i see a lot more wins, because we will be familiar with mcd system and we wont have the toughest schedule in the league.

ftr- the bears have one of the easiest shcedules this coming year.(on paper that is, but hey- i would rather their schedule than ours)

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 08:04 PM
This is so stupid...were the Bears #32 last year? Because if they werent, then this is OBVIOUSLY biased.

I think that the Bears probably were rated 32nd on alot of lists last season. I think that Kyle got a bad rap though. I also think that Griese got a bad rap. He was a solid qb for a team who's fans were used to phenomenal.

Lonestar
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I think that the Bears probably were rated 32nd on alot of lists last season. I think that Kyle got a bad rap though. I also think that Griese got a bad rap. He was a solid qb for a team who's fans were used to phenomenal.

in which decade were bears QBs phenomenal?..

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
There are 124 QBs factoring into this ranking. :confused: What percentage of these QBs have ever taken a snap in the NFL? :confused: What percentage will take a snap this year? :confused: What percentage will even be on a NFL roster come opening day? :confused: I doubt that the Niners will carry 5 QBs and the Raiders 6. Then again, I really should put anything past them.

Bottom line, QBs or not like any other posistion because teams that win only play one per game barring injuries or ineffectiveness. They don't come out for breathers, situational substitutions or change of pace players.

:confused: Therefore, how can you accurately rate a teams entire QB package when you have no way of knowing who will even get a chance to play? :confused:

If someone wants to rate Kyle Orton as our projected starter, I'd be interested. :coffee: As far as this ranking chart, I could care less. :coffee:

AMEN! Only teams who are worried about their starting QB, worry about who their backup is. Who is Brady's backup? Who is Manning's backup? Who is Brees' Backup? Who really cares?

ursamajor
07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
in which decade were bears QBs phenomenal?..

I was talking about Denver-Greise came in after Elway.

LRtagger
07-03-2009, 07:55 AM

Perhaps they were, I generally don't look at these lists unless they are linked directly from this forum.

But I doubt they were dead last at the QB position last year. I wouldn't argue in the least that we should be ranked lower than we would have been with Jay here, but I would consider Orton/Simms tandem about on par with Orton/Grossman. Orton/Grossman were not ranked 32 last year. Without even looking I can guarantee it.

I mean with Jay still here and Chris behind him I wouldnt be surprised if we would have been top 10 on this list. Top 15 at the very least. Orton seems to unjustifiably get slammed by certain media outlets. He is not an elite QB by any means, but he most certainly is not the worst starter in the NFL.

I think alot of outside writers still have a bad taste in their mouth about our offseason and they portray that through articles and preseason rankings. You can see it a lot on the Fox Sports website. I would almost wonder if somone on the inside there is a friend of Jay or Mike.

NorthernLights
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Did you guys happen to see which team was number 1?

Ouch! I think I just dislocated by shoulder by patting myself on the back. That really hurts.

ursamajor
07-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Did you guys happen to see which team was number 1?

That list is wortless. The writer contradicts himself, and doesn't even give a clear feel for how he is actually coming up with his ranking. Observe,

#6 Patriots

The man is back, and all of New England can breathe sighs of relief. But what if Brady, the three-time Super Bowl champion, gets hurt again? Well, we scoffed at the Pats' chances last September when Mr. Perfect got injured because Matt Cassel — a dude who had not started a game since freaking high school. Then Cassel turned in a Pro Bowl season. Could Bill Belichick do it again with NFL mysteries O'Connell, Gutierrez and Hoyer? Highly unlikely.

now,

#18 Chicago

Well, at least now the Bears finally have one legitimate, top-shelf QB. They just may not have anyone behind him if Cutler ever gets hurt. First, how good is Cutler? Critics point to his offseason pouting in Denver, his 18 interceptions in 2008 and fact that he's never led a team to the playoffs. But he did have a horrible defense in Denver, which on paper the Bears should be an improvement. But Caleb Hanie and Brett Basanez as backups? Chicago's front office should be ashamed to head into the season with no proven backup.

Between the two I saw the walking inury report Schaub becked up by Orlovski and Grossman. The only thing that those two backups have 'proven' is that they give away games like government cheese.