PDA

View Full Version : Vic Carucci: Rookies to Have Biggest Impact in 09

WARHORSE
06-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Hes got Ayers at number one and Knowshon at number six. I hope hes right.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810143e3&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lonestar
06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Moments after the Washington Redskins made Brian Orakpo their first-round pick last Saturday, Jim Zorn was asked if the highly touted defensive end would play this season.

"He's going to play," Zorn said without hesitation.

Several NFL player-personnel people share that expectation about Orakpo and others selected in the early rounds of the draft. They see immediate contributions from rookies on both sides of the ball, but are especially confident that the defensive choices will provide the greatest impact because they generally can rely more on raw athletic skill while learning the ropes of the pro game.

2009 NFL Draft

How large a contribution any of the rookies make is debatable. This year's college crop was widely viewed as being shy of exceptional talent, thus prompting so many downward trades.

Nevertheless, there will be rookies who make their presence felt during the 2009 season.

"I feel like I'm ready to play wherever they ask me to play," defensive end Robert Ayers said shortly after the Denver Broncos made him the second of their two first-round picks.

Here's a list of the top 10 draftees most likely to have an impact as rookies:

1. Robert Ayers, DE, Denver Broncos

Pick: First round/18th overall
He can play end or outside linebacker, making him particularly valuable this season as the Broncos convert from a 4-3 to 3-4 scheme. Most talent evaluators considered him the best outside linebacker prospect in the draft, even though he was only a one-year starter and had only nine career sacks at Tennessee. But Ayers is a remarkably talented and versatile athlete who can rush the passer, play the run, and drop into coverage. New Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan figures to make the most of all that Ayers has to offer.

2. Jason Smith, OT, St. Louis Rams

Pick: First round/Second overall
Smith steps off the Baylor campus and into a gaping hole created by the release of Orlando Pace. Coming anywhere near what Pace accomplished in a career that has assured him a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame won't be easy, but Smith has the rare combination of size (6-foot-6, 309 pounds) and quickness to be highly effective blocking for the run as well as protecting the passer. He played left and right tackle in college, and, given Alex Barron's impressive work on the left side during minicamp earlier this month, Smith could open his rookie season on the right side.

3. Brian Orakpo, DE, Washington Redskins

Pick: First round/13th overall
The surprise fall out of the top 10 of the former Texas standout figures to provide an instant upgrade to a defense that ranked near the bottom of the league with only 24 sacks in 2008. Orakpo's impressive combination of strength and speed should allow defensive coordinator Greg Blache to use him as a strong-side linebacker to stop the run on early downs and as a pass-rushing end. Orakpo should also benefit greatly from having the game's most dominant tackle, Albert Haynesworth, drawing blockers inside.

4. B.J. Raji, DT, Green Bay Packers

Pick: First round/Ninth overall
As yet another club shifting from a 4-3 to a 3-4, the Packers had to have an anchor in the middle. Raji should give them a good one right away. At the very most, he'll have a chance to unseat Ryan Pickett as a starter. At the very least, the former Boston College star should see considerable playing time alternating with Pickett and will likely have a regular spot as an inside rusher on passing downs.

5. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver Broncos

Pick: First round/12th overall
He looks to be an ideal fit for the scheme being installed by new coach Josh McDaniels. Although McDaniels runs a spread offense that utilizes short passes as an extension of the running game, he does seek balance from a strong ground attack. And he wants runners who are well versed in all aspects of the scheme. At Georgia, Moreno displayed excellent instincts when it came to picking the best openings created by the zone blocking the Bulldogs employed. Moreno also did a nice job of running routes and in pass protection, two other qualities that should help ensure he'll have a significant role as a rookie.

6. Percy Harvin, WR, Minnesota Vikings

Pick: First round/22nd overall
Provided the off-field character issues that caused him to plummet to a spot where his enormous skills say he shouldn't have been available don't resurface, Harvin should make a huge impact. The former Florida standout is a dynamic playmaker, and he should go a long way toward allowing the Vikings to stretch opposing defenses. That assumes, of course, that Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson can consistently get the ball in his hands.

7. Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco 49ers

Pick: First round/10th overall
Thanks largely to his amazingly productive final two seasons at Texas Tech, Crabtree was universally seen as the best receiver in the draft. And maybe he is. He certainly has the size (6-1 and 214 pounds) and athleticism to be an immediate difference-maker, presuming he makes a full recovery from foot surgery. Despite questions about his lack of speed, he routinely got good separation on his routes. The question is, do the quarterback-challenged 49ers have someone who can take advantage of all of his talent?

8. Hakeem Nicks, WR, New York Giants

Pick: First round/29th overall
There might not be a more NFL-ready receiver in the draft than Nicks. At 6-1 and 212 pounds, he has the frame and the skills to fill the game-breaking vacancy created by the release of Plaxico Burress, even though that wasn't a role Nicks filled at North Carolina. Nicks' 12 touchdown catches and 1,222 receiving yards as a junior last season certainly seemed Burress-like. And he apparently showed enough savvy to convince the Giants not to follow through on a trade for someone with more experience, such as Cleveland's Braylon Edwards.

9. Rey Maualuga, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Pick: Second round/38th overall
The former USC Trojan figures to be an immediate difference-maker in the middle of the Bengals' defense and could prove to be a steal in the second round. He hits hard, plays the run exceptionally well, and has enough speed and athleticism to be an asset in pass coverage. Working next to former USC teammate Keith Rivers, Maualuga should do plenty to help improve the NFL's 12th-ranked defense last year.

10. Pat White, QB, Miami Dolphins

Pick: Second round/44th overall
He's an ideal fit for the offense that gave us the "Wildcat" last season. With his tremendous versatility and explosiveness, the former West Virginia standout provides the Dolphins' strategists with all sorts of possibilities as a passer, runner, and receiver. He should have plenty of opportunities to make an impact as a rookie, either on his own or as a complement to other playmakers.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810143e3&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

McKeough
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I remember these same 'experts' being all over Jarvis Moss, too...

:elefant::elefant:

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Hopefully Ayers makes an impact at OLB, although we have no reason to think it's even possible I'm hoping Ayers can be an Adalius Thomas type of player, only better.......the Adalius Thomas that played in Baltimore, not the one who may have stolen Bill Belicheat's aura of infallibility.

Denver fans better damn well hope that Alphonso Smith is in the top5 of impact rookies too.......

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Denver fans better damn well hope that Alphonso Smith is in the top5 of impact rookies too.......

Because this year is the only one that counts...:rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
06-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Because this year is the only one that counts...:rolleyes:

This year is the only one that doesn't count?.......

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
This year is the only one that doesn't count?.......

Not a very wise comment...

rcsodak
06-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Hes got Ayers at number one and Knowshon at number six. I hope hes right.

5. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver Broncos
;)

rcsodak
06-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Hopefully Ayers makes an impact at OLB, although we have no reason to think it's even possible I'm hoping Ayers can be an Adalius Thomas type of player, only better.......the Adalius Thomas that played in Baltimore, not the one who may have stolen Bill Belicheat's aura of infallibility.

Why is that?

Just think....if you play your cards right, you might even have next year to whine/complain about the same player & trade!

Oh, lucky us! :rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Why is that?

Just think....if you play your cards right, you might even have next year to whine/complain about the same player & trade!

Oh, lucky us! :rolleyes:

You like to whine/complain about people that whine and complain, don't you? You act as if you have no choice but to whine/complain about me whining and complaining, but you do, still you insist on whining and complaining.

Oh, lucky us!

The Broncos and their fans are going to need Smith to be an impact player to make that trade worth it, that's why.......

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Not a very wise comment...

It wasn't a comment, is was a question.......

Buff
06-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Link, from the little I know about you--I like you, you're a funny guy... But do you even like the Broncos anymore? Honest question. In most of your posts you refer to Broncos fans with an implication that you aren't part of that group.

Elevation inc
06-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Link, from the little I know about you--I like you, you're a funny guy... But do you even like the Broncos anymore? Honest question. In most of your posts you refer to Broncos fans with an implication that you aren't part of that group.

most of its probally stems from the enormous amount of attacks he recived from the get go, because he didnt agree with the higher calling of MCD acolytes....lol......

link dont get mad...lol but.....

im certain his penchant for sticking with his comments the way he has done lately is more a way of entertainment watching the masses fall all over themselves to complain about his complaining......lol.....

those that know link, know he just wants wins on the field from denver, and while everyone has there own opinion, he should be allowed to make his decision of when he thinks denver is a competent team, without getting ridiculed for not jumping on the pro MCD bandwagon right away.

i mean i am happy with the direction we are heaed, but lets face it...we havent won a single thing or proven anything so far since MCD has been hired....its just fact.....some people stay strictly with facts to make opinions and others use optimisim....neither way is wrong......

Buff
06-29-2009, 03:39 AM
most of its probally stems from the enormous amount of attacks he recived from the get go, because he didnt agree with the higher calling of MCD acolytes....lol......

link dont get mad...lol but.....

im certain his penchant for sticking with his comments the way he has done lately is more a way of entertainment watching the masses fall all over themselves to complain about his complaining......lol.....

those that know link, know he just wants wins on the field from denver, and while everyone has there own opinion, he should be allowed to make his decision of when he thinks denver is a competent team, without getting ridiculed for not jumping on the pro MCD bandwagon right away.

i mean i am happy with the direction we are heaed, but lets face it...we havent won a single thing or proven anything so far since MCD has been hired....its just fact.....some people stay strictly with facts to make opinions and others use optimisim....neither way is wrong......

I agree, fans have every right to be pessimistic just as they have the right to be optimistic. The thing that I keep coming back to is that his posts almost read like a Raiders troll nowadays, they are almost always pointing out negative aspects of the team and they are usually very antagonistic... Which is why I alluded to his usage of "Bronco Fans." ex: "Bronco fans better hope Alphonso Smith yada yada etc. etc." Why not just say "I hope Alphonso Smith yada yada." The way I read it, it's like he's referring to another group of people.

And that was just one example, he uses that particular term fairly often. It's almost like he doesn't view himself as a Bronco fan anymore.

But anyway, I really shouldn't make this thread about Link, he is obviously entitled to his own opinion. I'm just genuinely curious as to where he stands nowadays.

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 03:43 AM

Of course I'm a Broncos fan, but I don't like 'em very much.

But, by "Broncos fans" I mean Broncos fans as a whole, not specific people, and aware of the fact that not all are the same. When I post, I refer to Broncos fans the same way I refer to the Broncos, I don't say "We" or "Us" or "Our", as in: "We lost because our defense failed us", and I try not to single people out for things we're all guilty of. And truth be told, I'm very much guilty of some of the things I criticize other Broncos fans for.

That's the way it's always been with me, long before this whirlpool of bullshit, the only difference being; people tend to enjoy it more when I'm on their side. What used to get me thousands of CP's now makes me a "Wild, fact-less speculation and hate spewing troll".

I will always be a Broncos fan, but when people say I'm not the fan they think I should be, I take it as a compliment, I can't see myself paying lip-service to something I have strong feelings about.

I will always be a Broncos fan, but I explain my current attitude by saying that I will always be a Metallica fan, but lately their music just plain sucks.......and to me, most of the music the Broncos are making lately just plain sucks.......

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 03:53 AM
I agree, fans have every right to be pessimistic just as they have the right to be optimistic. The thing that I keep coming back to is that his posts almost read like a Raiders troll nowadays, they are almost always pointing out negative aspects of the team and they are usually very antagonistic... Which is why I alluded to his usage of "Bronco Fans." ex: "Bronco fans better hope Alphonso Smith yada yada etc. etc." Why not just say "I hope Alphonso Smith yada yada." The way I read it, it's like he's referring to another group of people.

And that was just one example, he uses that particular term fairly often. It's almost like he doesn't view himself as a Bronco fan anymore.

But anyway, I really shouldn't make this thread about Link, he is obviously entitled to his own opinion. I'm just genuinely curious as to where he stands nowadays.

Of course I'm a Broncos fan, but I don't like 'em very much.

But, by "Broncos fans" I mean Broncos fans as a whole, not specific people, and aware of the fact that not all are the same. When I post, I refer to Broncos fans the same way I refer to the Broncos, I don't say "We" or "Us" or "Our", as in: "We lost because our defense failed us", and I try not to single people out for things we're all guilty of. And truth be told, I'm very much guilty of some of the things I criticize other Broncos fans for.

That's the way it's always been with me, long before this whirlpool of bullshit, the only difference being; people tend to enjoy it more when I'm on their side. What used to get me thousands of CP's now makes me a "Wild, fact-less speculation and hate spewing troll".

I will always be a Broncos fan, but when people say I'm not the fan they think I should be, I take it as a compliment, I can't see myself paying lip-service to something I have strong feelings about.

I will always be a Broncos fan, but I explain my current attitude by saying that I will always be a Metallica fan, but lately their music just plain sucks.......and to me, most of the music the Broncos are making lately just plain sucks.......

See what I mean? My posts have never changed, they're just harder to stomach now that there is so much negativity surrounding the Broncos.......

LRtagger
06-29-2009, 09:04 AM

Not really.

You have to look at it this way:

Smith with one year under his belt learning from Champ, Dawkins, etc is going to be a better player in 2010 than a rookie CB coming into the league next year.

Smith will have the opportunity to have one more year learning from Champ than would a 2010 draftee. And the new regime feels that Smith is a first round talent...so it makes all the sense in the world why they would mortgage a 2010 1st round pick to get a first round CB a year early. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, but it's not like the idea is dumbfounded. It does make sense.

Until Smith proves himself, we wont know if it was worth it...but it's not like the trade doesnt make sense. They feel he is a first round player and they get him a year early to learn from the vets that probably wont be around much longer.

Just because we traded next year's first for him doesn't mean he has to produce THIS YEAR. After all, without the trade he wouldnt even be on the team this year anyways. But it DOES mean that he will need to be a big part of this team's future. If he doesn't get much PT this season, but he ends up having an All-Pro career and taks over for Champ when he retires, then I would consider the trade successful. I think most fans would agree.

It's so funny...critics are calling Denver's draft one of the worst in the NFL...some ranking it with the Raiders...yet at the same time, we have potentially two of the top 5 rookies in the league?? Yea, the Broncos made some questionable moves in the draft, but they are following a paticular idea in rebuilding this team. They might not have picked the players that we all wanted, but at least they are drafting players they feel will fit their system and give us the best shot at winning.