PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Admits He's "Never Really Ran Routes Much"

TheReverend
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Pertinent section:

"To get to play with a future Hall of Famer, I knew I had to step my game up and get in my book more, run routes more, because I never really ran routes much. So I thought it was gonna be a challenge, and it has been so far. But it's been good, too." [...]

"You're gonna have to run the whole route tree now. The comebacks, the slants, the posts, the ins. And I didn't have to do that much when I was my first couple of years in the league."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-aboard-broncos-receivers-actually-learn-routes-065559673--nfl.html

TheReverend
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Was pretty obvious in his performance. In b4 somehow "Tebow's Fault"

BroncoWave
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't think anyone who watched the Broncos play would say it's Tebow's fault. Given the good chemistry they had I don't think there is any "fault" to be had there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, he's been healthy for about, what, six games in his career? It shouldn't be a surprise he hasn't ran the whole tree a whole lot. :laugh:

Nevertheless, it honestly just sounds like the way DT talks. If he didn't have a pretty high wonderlic score to go along with his exceptional college gpa I would be tempted to think he was dumber than a box of rocks.

Simple Jaded
06-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Was pretty obvious in his performance. In b4 somehow "Tebow's Fault"

Was pretty obvious that Tebow can consistently hit about 20% of the routes on an NFL field.......

sneakers
06-30-2012, 12:12 AM
He did go to college at a place that ran the Triple Option, so to be fair, he never really had a chance to run them in college.

djmikehoncho
06-30-2012, 04:30 AM
im shocked by this news, completely and utterly shocked.

OrangeHoof
06-30-2012, 11:37 AM
McDaniels clearly took him based on raw physical skills and little else. While that may work in some systems, it won't work in a Manning system where you are expected to be where Peyton expects you to be at all times so he can throw the ball where you are expected to be before you've even made your cut.

Hopefully, DT has the brains to figure this out and devote himself to precision timing routes and decision trees.

Northman
06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
He did go to college at a place that ran the Triple Option, so to be fair, he never really had a chance to run them in college.

^This.

Anyone who does a little research will know that he played in a unfriendly WR system.

silkamilkamonico
06-30-2012, 02:54 PM

You can tell, he's absolutely amazing at getting open when the QB is scrambling, and making plays on the ball to beat his defender. Dude's going to be an absolute monster in the NFL when he becomes more polished.

Cugel
06-30-2012, 03:27 PM
What was the point of running precise routes when Tebow can't throw most of them? :coffee:

Tebow couldn't throw a timing pattern over the middle of the field. He got to the point where he didn't even dare most of the time. Every pass over 10 yards was a sideline pattern so he knew if he screwed it up and threw inaccurately, he wouldn't be intercepted.

With Tebow it was a lot more important for Demaryius to improvise and try and adjust to Tebow's wild throws than be in a precise spot, since Tebow couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his throws!

Exactly the opposite of Manning. Manning throws to a spot and expects his WRs to BE THERE when the ball arrives.

If they're not and there's an interception then they're going to get an earful on the sideline! He demands perfection, which simply means: know where you are supposed to be on the play; if the play changes know your assignment on the new play and don't get confused. If you're supposed to block on a play know and execute your assignment.

I have no idea what Demaryius can do if he becomes more disciplined. But he is a physical specimen so I imagine he can do well in Manning's system if he applies himself.

And if he doesn't get it down, he's going to be an unhappy camper because Manning will throw to the guy who's open and is where he's supposed to be, on time.

nevcraw
06-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Yay - another Tebow bashing thread derail....

DT as mentioned came from and option system with no routes, he's been injured, and has played the deep threat in Denver.. He's learning on the job as anyone else does.. he will be #5 WR in the next 2 - 3 years..

SR
06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

DT as mentioned came from and option system with no routes, he's been injured, and has played the deep threat in Denver.. He's learning on the job as anyone else does.. he will be #5 WR in the next 2 - 3 years..

I haven't seen anyone say anything about Tebow that wasn't true. Don't turn it in to something it's not

Simple Jaded
06-30-2012, 08:03 PM
So in a thread about Tebow you can blame Thomas, Decker, McCoy, McDaniels, Elway, the price of gas, but in a Thomas thread you can't point out the thoroughly F'n obvious?

Typical.......

Rick
07-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Maybe I havn't read some of the reports right or they have misrepresented them but everything I have heard seems to suggest that Thomas is looking real good with Manning throwing him the ball.

nevcraw
07-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I haven't seen anyone say anything about Tebow that wasn't true. Don't turn it in to something it's not

what does that have to do with anything?
dude is in NY -- can we let it rest. JC! the thread was about Thomas and people want to bash tebow for what?? was thomas tearing it up with KO at the helm.. umm no. THomas caught fire with Tebow running the ship.. just saying.

nevcraw
07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
as he did the back half of last year.. the kid is going to be a stud..

ShaneFalco
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
i love how people blaming tebow. man some of you must really dislike that kid

MOtorboat
07-01-2012, 04:04 PM
From the article:

What were Broncos practices like before Peyton Manning? Everyone splits into their individual groups, and the receivers all run over to the receivers coach and ask, "Hey coach, what are we working on today?" And then the receivers coach looks over and sees Tim Tebow launching footballs into the fourth row and says, "I really don't think it matters, boys."

Rick
07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
as he did the back half of last year.. the kid is going to be a stud..

Exactly which is why I believe the route running to be overblown. Some receivers have to run a perfect route to get open, and some just flat out get open.

When Thomas gets better at running routes he will be even more dangerous but Manning is a smart enough guy to realize that just because Thomas doesn't run a picturesque route doesn't mean he shouldn't be looking for him as often as possible because the guy is a beast and if healthy has the ability to be one of the best in the league.

In his last 7 games last year he had 35 catches, on pace for 80 catches over 16 games in a run oriented offense, with a QB that let's face it, needs development still, and with out running his good routes.

Thomas will be fine.

Poet
07-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Seeing how he was an awful route runner in college, this is not a shocker.

SR
07-01-2012, 06:56 PM
what does that have to do with anything?
dude is in NY -- can we let it rest. JC! the thread was about Thomas and people want to bash tebow for what?? was thomas tearing it up with KO at the helm.. umm no. THomas caught fire with Tebow running the ship.. just saying.

You said it was a Tebow bashing derail, but no one has said anything about Tebow that isn't true. Therefore it's not bashing. Unwad your panties. Thomas was also on IR while Orton was playing, so there goes that argument

dacoats
07-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Pertinent section:

"To get to play with a future Hall of Famer, I knew I had to step my game up and get in my book more, run routes more, because I never really ran routes much. So I thought it was gonna be a challenge, and it has been so far. But it's been good, too." [...]

"You're gonna have to run the whole route tree now. The comebacks, the slants, the posts, the ins. And I didn't have to do that much when I was my first couple of years in the league."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/peyton-manning-aboard-broncos-receivers-actually-learn-routes-065559673--nfl.html

yeah why would you want to run routes as a WR. What a waste of time and poor logic by this lad. I mean wouldn't you want to run better routes with an inferior QB, to help him out?

Answer: Hell No!

Give me a break, you guys aren't winning anything

TXBRONC
07-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Seeing how he was an awful route runner in college, this is not a shocker.

It's a bit silly to mention college considering he played in an option style offense.

NightTerror218
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Funny when he was healthy to play with Orton he barely had any catches, big when. But with Tebow when he could just run and try to get open his stats got much better. This very well could have reflected on both of them. DT just had to get open, Tebow locked onto him and waited till he got open. Either way Thomas is going to have to learn the routes with Manning because if he is not going to be exactly where Manning wants him he will throw to his next WR, Decker who can run some pretty clean routes.

Poet
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
It's a bit silly to mention college considering he played in an option style offense.

So did Percy Harvin, and he runs routes just fine. His route running ability was a big concern for a reason. When teams were looking to draft him, they didn't just go "oh...well he played in an option style offense in college."

BeefStew25
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
So did Percy Harvin, and he runs routes just fine. His route running ability was a big concern for a reason. When teams were looking to draft him, they didn't just go "oh...well he played in an option style offense in college."

Finish chewing before you talk.

Poet
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Replace the word chewing with swallowing and you have a sentence uttered by Rex to you.

Ravage!!!
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I think people take DT's comments almost TOO literally. Did he run routes... of COURSE he did. What did they have him do at WR, just run around? No. He ran routes. When the scouts viewed his tapes coming out of college, do you think they saw just some tall guy running around the field without direction? Of course not. He ran routes. Maybe not as "precise" as what the coaches and Manning are asking of him to do, now....but he ran routes.

dacoats
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I think people take DT's comments almost TOO literally. Did he run routes... of COURSE he did. What did they have him do at WR, just run around? No. He ran routes. When the scouts viewed his tapes coming out of college, do you think they saw just some tall guy running around the field without direction? Of course not. He ran routes. Maybe not as "precise" as what the coaches and Manning are asking of him to do, now....but he ran routes.

I agree, it is a shame the he was too dumb to understand he was running them

shank
07-07-2012, 05:03 PM
i'm not worried about DT. He wasn't asked to run precise routes in college, but he obviously has skills to do so... just like dacoats has never been asked to have intercourse with a woman, but if ever given the chance i'm sure he would rise to the occasi- actually, shit, that's a terrible example.

MOtorboat
07-07-2012, 05:25 PM
i'm not worried about DT. He wasn't asked to run precise routes in college, but he obviously has skills to do so... just like dacoats has never been asked to have intercourse with a woman, but if ever given the chance i'm sure he would rise to the occasi- actually, shit, that's a terrible example.

DT doesn't have to run precise routes like Marvin Harrison or Wes Welker, because he is so big, physical and fast. That said, he'll learn to run more precisely with Manning under center, for sure. He ran go routes in college. I think McDaniels had him working a lot on finding soft spots in zones and running go routes to acclimate his talents to the NFL level and with Tebow it didn't matter what route he ran, Tebow didn't know where he was, or couldn't anticipate where he was at the end of said route, so he used his abilities to improvise and it worked for him.

The receivers will not have to improvise as much next year, because Manning will get the ball out on time, and DT is now in his third year and they won't be acclimating him to the league, just the system.

dacoats
07-07-2012, 06:34 PM

dude please change your avatar you look like a total tool shed, you clown

SR
07-07-2012, 06:49 PM

That is a picture of TheReverend. Beef is making fun of someone, you clown.

BeefStew25
07-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Hey man. Where are you from?

dacoats
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey man. Where are you from?

outside the place that gave you freedom so you can hug trees all day and hug mountains

dacoats
07-09-2012, 08:37 AM
That is a picture of TheReverend. Beef is making fun of someone, you clown.

i didn't ask you, what are you trying to post count up or something? The guy looks like a total tool box and needs to start working out instead of drinking at the frat party.

BeefStew25
07-09-2012, 08:44 AM
outside the place that gave you freedom so you can hug trees all day and hug mountains

Juarez?

Chef Zambini
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
ymca ?

Jsteve01
07-09-2012, 06:44 PM

wow you're douchiness is exhilarating