PDA

View Full Version : Prototype- 360/PS3

Shazam!
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Prototype (PT) is a sandbox style action game published by Activision for 360 and PS3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/PROTOTYPE.jpg

You are Alex Mercer, infected with a virus in a quarantined Manhattan that is under military lockdown. The virus is spreading and infecting people and creating grotesque monstrosities (as is always the case with those damn deadly gaming viruses) as it spreads and worsens.

You can shift into a variety of forms and turn your arms into various weapons. You can also pick up various firearms for use, but your own powers are better.

You consume other people and feed off them for life and you manifest their thoughts (which spread the story throughout most of the game). You can even become them for infiltration missions (such as enemy soldiers) and escaping the army by concealing yourself as one of their own soldiers, or quickly blending in a crowd of panicked civilians.

Alex controls very smoothly and easily, and in no time you'll be sprinting around Manhattan and making pole-vault-like-super-leaps through downtown NYC. He has tons of cool moves that are upgradeable, and a variety of forms. Some may say there are too many moves and the like, but you'll definitely find something for your taste.

This game is brutally violent to the max.

Some battles are chaotic and remind me of Dynasty Warriors, with nearly a hundred enemies, infected citizens, and innocent panicked pedestrians running for their life on screen at once in any major battle. Not to mention the cars, tanks, choppers, and monsters too.

The combat does get repetitive, but your onslaught is just a bloody dance of death it's so much fun. Picking up cars and trucks and using them as missiles for downing choppers is a treat, or you can just jump at one to take it down or jack it (when you unlock the ability). You have so many powers you feel unstoppable.

The virtual Manhattan is a giant playground for all your wild abilities. There are representations of the George Washington Bridge, Third Avenue Bridge, Washington Square Park, Central Park, the Zoo, and other notable NYC landmarks.

PT tries to do a good job of trying to make you feel like a ruthless killing machine, something like the Terminator but it ultimately fails. Towards the end of the game you have so many moves you feel that you should be nearly unstoppable, but you are not. You have all these killer moves, but the game is merciless with cheap deaths sometimes. Against some of the tougher enemies, once you get stuck in his attack animation, there is nothing you can do to stop it, AND other enemies can hit you too when you're stuck. So you pretty much have to avoid the enemy and wait until it's done with it's attack animations. So, it rewards you for doing nothing. Kind of lame when you're supposed to be the most powerful being on the island. It would've been better with a simple parrying move with a button sequence or something that you see in so many games nowadays.

You even have all these defensive powers but they are rendered useless too often. Sure, when low on health just run up and absorb some civillians for some more HPs. But after the 100th time, it loses something regardless of how brutal the animations are that you've seen a thousand times already.

I enjoy tough games and I consider myself a pretty skilled gamer, but the game pacing sometimes ruins the balance and all the chaos going on may overwhelm some, especially if you've never played the crowd-clearing combat genre.

The story is decent enough, told through flashbacks and sequences of what people knew as you consume them.

The graphics are pretty good but Manhattan could've been more detailed. Mercer and the soldiers are detailed well enough, but too many pedestrians are aliased. There's a variety of cars but you can't drive them (except the military vehicles). There is so much going on at once at any moment, the framerate never dips at all so it makes up for it. That part is impressive.

The sound is ok, with lots of gunfire, explosions, and gut churning knifings as you tear through the hordes but nothing sets it apart. The music is dramatic when it needs to be and the radio chatter of the military is varied enough that it sounds different most of the time when they call in strike teams and air raids. The shrills of the screaming citizens are great. The voice acting is ok.

There is a ton of side missions, races, scripted events, collecting and the like, but it is almost too many and after awhile they will seem like a waste of time. The side quests are all boring and seen before in many other games.

Being able to go anywhere is cool and running up the side of the Empire State Building to the top never gets old, and surfing down the side of a skyscraper using a severed torso as a surfboard is always a helluva lot of fun too. However, there are a few issues that hold this title back. It's all good fun but it could've been more.

7/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood and gore, intense violence and language

EDIT- I made a few additions and lowered my score as with more playing time some and a longer experience with the game some of it's problems are more apparent. Since someone may base a purchase on what an actual user may think as opposed to what a site like IGN or Gamespot may say, I want to be as honest and detailed as I can with my time playing.

Shazam!
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Couldn't wait to finish it.

MasterShake
06-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I wonder how this compares to Infamous? They both look pretty good.

NameUsedBefore
06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Wish I had a T.V. to hook up my Xbox into. Looks good, it and inFamous both.

shank
06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
played infamous. lots of fun.

MasterShake
06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Wish I had a T.V. to hook up my Xbox into. Looks good, it and inFamous both.

I think Infamous is PS3 only.

shank
06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
^ it is.

Shazam!
06-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Some of the differences as far as I know are Infamous has moral paths and choices where Alex is just a killing machine, and Prototype is brutally violent, kind of like the 'Alex Mercer Chainsaw Massacre'.

ikillz0mbies
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Shazam!-Perfect analysis of the game.

I bought the game last week, but I haven't finished it yet. I am at the level where I have to fight Elizabeth Greene. So I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents of the game thus far.

This game is a 'hack-and-slash sandbox' game. From the top of my head, I compare this game to Heavenly Sword, Wolverine (hack and slash) and True Crime (in terms of the sandbox playing style). It is a little bit unfair to compare Prototype to Infamous because one is just outright killing anything that moves, while the other is based on good or bad actions.

I bought Prototype over Infamous for the fact that you can pretty much consume and kill anything and anyone. I thought that this feature would be more fun and to the fact that the streets are filled with 'zombies' (the infected).

Taking place in New York, it's great to see the actual landmarks and places that are there. The upgradable moves are great (my personal favorite is the Whiplash). There is also the ability to take over a tank or a helicopter, but that's it. The graphics are actually not that bad. I read reviews on this game and most of them knocked on the graphics. The only thing I found a problem was that there were a few instances against the Hunters. When the Hunters were chasing me through the rooftops, they got kind of glitchy. But other than that I have no other complaints about the graphics.

Now comes the things I have a problem with the game. The game is way too chaotic and cluttered when battle ensues. The strike team that gets called when Alex gets caught after a period of time just gets annoying and those floating censor machines get too much in the way. Once the strike team is called, next thing you know, there are a hundred helicopters and tanks surrounding you. Same with the amount of hunters that go after Alex. There will be like 10 different Hunters pounding away.

Defensively, the shield was rather useless. The armor was ok, it just makes you slower and takes away the gliding ability. When it comes to devastator, I didn't really use it much because I didn't have enough time to pull it off. When I reached critical mass to pull it off, I got hit with rocks and getting attacked by the strike so I didn't really have a chance to use it.

I'm a decent gamer, so maybe it's my skill level that warranted the complaints. But thus far, I give the game a 6.5/7 out of 10.

Shazam!
07-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Shazam!-Perfect analysis of the game.

I bought the game last week, but I haven't finished it yet. I am at the level where I have to fight Elizabeth Greene. So I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents of the game thus far.

This game is a 'hack-and-slash sandbox' game. From the top of my head, I compare this game to Heavenly Sword, Wolverine (hack and slash) and True Crime (in terms of the sandbox playing style). It is a little bit unfair to compare Prototype to Infamous because one is just outright killing anything that moves, while the other is based on good or bad actions.

I bought Prototype over Infamous for the fact that you can pretty much consume and kill anything and anyone. I thought that this feature would be more fun and to the fact that the streets are filled with 'zombies' (the infected).

Taking place in New York, it's great to see the actual landmarks and places that are there. The upgradable moves are great (my personal favorite is the Whiplash). There is also the ability to take over a tank or a helicopter, but that's it. The graphics are actually not that bad. I read reviews on this game and most of them knocked on the graphics. The only thing I found a problem was that there were a few instances against the Hunters. When the Hunters were chasing me through the rooftops, they got kind of glitchy. But other than that I have no other complaints about the graphics.

Now comes the things I have a problem with the game. The game is way too chaotic and cluttered when battle ensues. The strike team that gets called when Alex gets caught after a period of time just gets annoying and those floating censor machines get too much in the way. Once the strike team is called, next thing you know, there are a hundred helicopters and tanks surrounding you. Same with the amount of hunters that go after Alex. There will be like 10 different Hunters pounding away.

Defensively, the shield was rather useless. The armor was ok, it just makes you slower and takes away the gliding ability. When it comes to devastator, I didn't really use it much because I didn't have enough time to pull it off. When I reached critical mass to pull it off, I got hit with rocks and getting attacked by the strike so I didn't really have a chance to use it.

I'm a decent gamer, so maybe it's my skill level that warranted the complaints. But thus far, I give the game a 6.5/7 out of 10.

No, it isn't you. I think they thought that they'd make certain parts of the game extremely difficult to balance out your powers, but that is a cheap way out. Then they should just not let you be all powerful or portray you as such. Hell, they codenamed you Zeus!

I've played the shit out of games like Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors and other crowd-clearing games so the frantic insanity of the combat didn't bother me. Just certain elements of the Blackwatch military and Hunters makes the game infuriatingly difficult at times.

Here's an example of the cheap balance- why couldn't you pick up and throw tanks? You can pick up one of the military personnel transport trucks and throw it 3 miles into the sky to take out a chopper, but you can't pick up a tank? Huh? It would make the game too 'easy' to just throw the tanks that come at you, even when there are choppers firing endless missiles at you. Huh.

The graphics were good I thought but a few things needed more detail. I think it is the sacrifice for having so many things going on at once and keeping a solid framerate that didn't dip at all. If you stopped on any street there are more pedestrians and cars than any street seen in GTA4. Also the different pedestrian's actions gave them a little personality I thought. Even when some looked the same they acted differently.

There is a plot twist that I didn't expect though and the ending is good.

ikillz0mbies
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Let me ask you, how did you get past the 3 stages of Elizabeth Greene? I'm having trouble getting past the 2nd stage because of those damn green orbs. I am currently using the whiplash attack to inflict damage from a distance. Should I be doing something else?

Shazam!
07-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I drop attacked from the nearby roof repeatedly and ignored the Hunters until I needed health.

You have to damage it enough then go to work on it when it is stunned. You have to do this like 3 times.

Up the street there is a newstand. If you go behind it, it will block the orbs fired at you while you replenish health from the Hunters or infected citizens.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

ikillz0mbies
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I will try that ASAP. Thanks!

Shazam!
07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Lemme know how it works. Happy to help.

NameUsedBefore
07-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Interesting game thus far. Crappy voice acting but the story is still interesting enough to keep playing.

ikillz0mbies
07-10-2009, 12:15 AM
I finally got past the stage! Thanks for the tips Shazam. That news stand really saved my ass a few instances. Made it much easier to attack the base.

Shazam!
07-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Happy to help bro.