PDA

View Full Version : David Stern is a douche - the official NBA Draft Thread 2012

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Talk amongst yourselves.

chazoe60
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
He's worse than Selig, and that's saying something.

The NBA is a joke.

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I love how greasy Cal is ALWAYS at the NBA Draft. That dude is sleazier than Stern.

slim
06-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I've heard this is a pretty weak draft....I'm not sure how anyone can tell.

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
I've heard this is a pretty weak draft....I'm not sure how anyone can tell.

Talent.

There's a lot of potential role players, not many potential superstars.

Davis and Kidd-Gilchrest are probably the only superstar potential players.

But there are probably 20-30 guys that might stick around in the league for a while.

dogfish
06-28-2012, 07:01 PM
He's worse than Selig, and that's saying something.

The NBA is a joke.

that's funny. . . i was juuuuust getting ready to start a poll about that. . .

MO, where's the insider tips?

i still think beal has at least as much potential as kidd-gilchrist. . . and i'm still far from convinced that even one legit superstar (on court-- the marketing definition is much, much looser) comes out of this draft. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
I love how greasy Cal is ALWAYS at the NBA Draft. That dude is sleazier than Stern.

Who is greasy Cal?

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Who is greasy Cal?

John Calipari, head coach of Kentucky.

See if I can remember his stops...UMass (Marcus Camby), the New Jersey Nets (?) or was it the Celtics, then Memphis (Derek Rose), and now Kentucky.

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
that's funny. . . i was juuuuust getting ready to start a poll about that. . .

MO, where's the insider tips?

i still think beal has at least as much potential as kidd-gilchrist. . . and i'm still far from convinced that even one legit superstar (on court-- the marketing definition is much, much looser) comes out of this draft. . .

This:

BILL SIMMONS: Let's keep moving: With the no. 3 pick for Washington, I'm grabbing Bradley Beal, the silky smooth two-guard who definitely bought Ray Allen's jumper on eBay. I love this pick even though I watched all four of Florida's NCAA Tournament games and never at any point thought to myself, I'm watching the no. 3 pick in June's draft. Is it a red flag when the alleged best scoring guard available from college basketball couldn't average 15 points a game or make 34 percent of his 3s? I'm not trying to be a dick — it's a serious question.

CHAD FORD: Hmmm … I'm frightened to tell you that Beal's performance in the SEC and NCAA tournament were his best games of the year.

SIMMONS: Uh-oh.

FORD: The 34 percent on 3s is a valid question for everyone that sees those Ray Allen comps and says … "What the hell?" Here's the thing on Beal — that Florida team was so dysfunctional all season, Beal was playing at small forward, a position he never played before in his life. He was a ballhandling guard in high school who was best creating his shot off the dribble. In Florida they used him as a spot-up shooter. He never found his rhythm until they put the ball in his hands in the SEC tournament, and then he looked much more like the elite prospect we saw in high school.

Everyone thinks that, returned to the right role, he's Eric Gordon 2.0. Without any other guaranteed superstars in the draft, that's worth pick three and makes him a great fit in Washington, a team without a real shooter or two-guard on their roster.

SIMMONS: I just spent the past 10 minutes watching his YouTube clips, so I'm totally ready to have an opinion here. Are we sure Beal is Gordon 2.0? The best thing about Gordon other than his stroke is that he's built like a tank — he loves driving into the paint, bouncing off bigger guys and finishing around the rim. Beal is a few inches taller; really, he's more like a young Mike Miller, which means we're going to need permission from the Committee of Cross-Racial NBA Comparisons to make that comparison. I just asked them; they said they needed 24 hours.

Quick question in the meantime: We both like MKG more than Beal, but Beal has more value because both Washington (picking third) and Cleveland (picking fourth) want him. Is it fair to say that Washington HAS to flip picks with Charlotte to get him? And if they do, what would they have to trade?

FORD: Washington has the 32nd pick, fairly valuable because there's lots of depth in this year's draft. That would give the Bobcats 31 and 32. But Cleveland's offer is better: 4 and 24. That's why the Cavs are in the lead. I think the Cavs should just stay put and let Kidd-Gilchrist fall into their lap.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8100861/ford-vs-simmons

I know it's just two opinions, and I know I just read this the other day, but it threw up some red flags for me. I like both of these writers. Now, writers can always be wrong...

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Harrison Barnes might fit in really nicely in Oakland.

dogfish
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Harrison Barnes might fit in really nicely in Oakland.

why, did he have a recent shooting incident that involved bullets and not basketballs?

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:18 PM
why, did he have a recent shooting incident that involved bullets and not basketballs?

lol...

No, because he might not have to start right away, and that will give him a chance to get acclimated, and he's the best athlete in the draft.

Curry, Rush, Jefferson, Wright and Biedrins should start, assuming they all will be on the roster in October. And Barnes can come off the bench, eventually replacing Rush or Jefferson at the 2 or 3.

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Hell, I forgot about Lee and Bogut for Golden State.

But, then again, that starts to have the feel of the Nuggets. Too many roll players, no star.

And very little defense.

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Does anyone ever say anything bad about a pick, especially the one's actually in attendance?

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Leonard is probably the first "reach."

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Steve Nash is gone.

Dear Steve,

Your talents are wanted.

Sincerely,
LeBron

BroncoAV06
06-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Jones and Sully could interest the Nuggets here.

BroncoAV06
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Or this:

Ken Berger‏@KBergCBS

Evan Fournier to Denver with the 20th pick, source says.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Benjamin Hochman ‏@nuggetsnews

Source tells me ‪#Nuggets‬ will take Fournier

MOtorboat
06-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, there goes the idea that the rookie is going to get playing time...

dogfish
06-28-2012, 09:23 PM
man, if OKC can develop perry jones, and add that kind of length and athleticism to what they already have. . . they might dominate most of the next decade. . . SMH