PDA

View Full Version : From the Top: That Sinking Feeling

Tned
06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Please visit football.com if you would like read the full article.

Football.com is also looking for some Broncos' video bloggers. I believe there is some information on their home page, or if you contact me, I can put you in contact with them.

Thanks

T

From the Top: That Sinking Feeling

Over the last decade, the Broncos have fallen from Super Bowl contenders under Mike Shanahan to the current expansion-caliber team.

By Chris Cluff
Updated: June 24, 2009
How did the Denver Broncos sink to this point?

Over the last decade, the Broncos have fallen from Super Bowl contenders under Mike Shanahan to the current expansion-caliber team under the new management of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders.

Since Shanahan led Denver to back-to-back Super Bowl titles in John Elway's final two seasons, the Broncos have won just one playoff game. They have made the postseason just four times in those ten years, but not since 2005.

And, in the past three months, they have only gotten worse. They traded disgruntled franchise quarterback Jay Cutler, then gave up next year's first-round pick in a draft-day deal and now have to deal with another unhappy star in wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

How did the Broncos get to be such a mess? Well, start with owner Pat Bowlen. He was blinded by the bling of those Super Bowl trophies and allowed Shanahan to wield total power of the franchise for far too long. Shanahan's personnel decisions in the 2000's were mostly horrendous, and coach Shanahan found it increasingly difficult to make up for GM Shanahan's poor drafts and signings.

Read the full article at football.com (http://www.football.com/articles.php?aId=834)

BroncoJoe
06-24-2009, 06:48 PM

Football.com is also looking for some Broncos' video bloggers. I believe there is some information on their home page, or if you contact me, I can put you in contact with them.

Thanks

T

I didn't click on the link, but this statement:

How did the Broncos get to be such a mess? Well, start with owner Pat Bowlen. He was blinded by the bling of those Super Bowl trophies and allowed Shanahan to wield total power of the franchise for far too long. Shanahan's personnel decisions in the 2000's were mostly horrendous, and coach Shanahan found it increasingly difficult to make up for GM Shanahan's poor drafts and signings.

pretty much sums up my feelings.

Tned
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I didn't click on the link, but this statement:

Yea, that statement (which I am not saying I agree with) is what Jr has been saying for a few years, so I'm sure he will like it. :D

pnbronco
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Yea, that statement (which I am not saying I agree with) is what Jr has been saying for a few years, so I'm sure he will like it. :D

Like it, the man will be doing a happy dance :elefant: and we will probably hear a woot and holler in what ever state you live in. Sorry Jr, you know it's true....:D

nevcraw
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Boy, that article ran out of steam in hurry..

WARHORSE
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
The buck last stops on Bowlens desk.

He understands it.

We understands it.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin.

My money is on the Broncos.:coffee:

Shazam!
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Shanahan stayed too long and never wanted to rebuild until it was too late. He should've resigned when Elway retired, saying "My job is done, I did what I set out to do here and the team is better than when I arrived" and let Kubes take over back then.

Sure the Cutler fiasco was a black eye this offseason, but I'm happy with McDaniels thus far, am excited to see a new offense and hope that Nolan can put something into Denver's pathetic defense of the last two years.

Simple Jaded
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
For the most part, Mike Shanahan the GM is what got Mike Shanahan fired, it seems almost cliche to say that now, but after all the mistakes that Mike Shanahan the GM made, it was a move that Mike Shanahan the Head Coach made that was the straw that broke the camals back.......Bob Slowik.

Shanahan was well on his way to overcoming the mistakes his GM made, imo, with all the talent they'd breought in on offense, all he needed was time to work on the defense, but the sheer magnitude of Slowik's sucktitude was just too much to overcome.......I think Bowlen knew that (or Joe Ellis, whatever).

I think Shanahan knew Slowik had nothing to work with on defense and was willing to give him more time because of that, he just didn't know that the players on defense had nothing to work with either.

Assuming the rumors of Bowlen giving Shanahan a "Fire Slowik" ultimatum are true, it's sad when the owner can see something the HC can't, especially this owner.

But, if this is the plan that charmed the pants off Bowlen and Ellis, they don't have much room to talk at this point, either.......

Lonestar
06-25-2009, 03:25 AM
Like it, the man will be doing a happy dance :elefant: and we will probably hear a woot and holler in what ever state you live in. Sorry Jr, you know it's true....:D

If it is the truth, that I believe it to be, it is not a happy dance, but a sad decade of Broncos history for all of us..

It does not take a brain surgeon to see what happened to the franchise..

I just do not understand, why either no one cares or also was blinded by the bling of the two Lombardi's..

Been a Bronco fans since day one and this past 10 years has been one fubar after another from the GM side.. damned fine coaching till the last couple of years..

Could still be happening as we speak but I am hoping what I hear out of Joshes mouth about TEAM players and commitment is not just empty words to buy time..

I guess time will tell.. been watching them for almost 50 years.. a few more won't hurt..

SR
06-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Nothing I haven't heard before was said in that article...same ol song and dance over and over and over. It's a bit played out now.

Dirk
06-25-2009, 05:34 AM

I totally agree. Sometimes a person needs to step back and look at things to make a change. I don't think Shanny could do that unfortunately. :tsk:

Superchop 7
06-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Bowlen has no one to blame but himself.

weazel
06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
For the most part, Mike Shanahan the GM is what got Mike Shanahan fired, it seems almost cliche to say that now, but after all the mistakes that Mike Shanahan the GM made, it was a move that Mike Shanahan the Head Coach made that was the straw that broke the camals back.......Bob Slowik.

Shanahan was well on his way to overcoming the mistakes his GM made, imo, with all the talent they'd breought in on offense, all he needed was time to work on the defense, but the sheer magnitude of Slowik's sucktitude was just too much to overcome.......I think Bowlen knew that (or Joe Ellis, whatever).

I think Shanahan knew Slowik had nothing to work with on defense and was willing to give him more time because of that, he just didn't know that the players on defense had nothing to work with either.

Assuming the rumors of Bowlen giving Shanahan a "Fire Slowik" ultimatum are true, it's sad when the owner can see something the HC can't, especially this owner.

But, if this is the plan that charmed the pants off Bowlen and Ellis, they don't have much room to talk at this point, either.......

blaming it on Slowick is the easy way out.

Shanny blamed the DC every year for the last 8. We had a revolving door of DC's and it was always their fault. It was never Shanny's or the Shanny's players fault, always the DC.

Lonestar
06-26-2009, 03:26 PM
blaming it on Slowick is the easy way out.

Shanny blamed the DC every year for the last 8. We had a revolving door of DC's and it was always their fault. It was never Shanny's or the Shanny's players fault, always the DC.

yet since he hired them, supervised then and for the most part did not give them toys to play with.. guess who was really responsible..

JONtheBRONCO
06-27-2009, 07:38 AM

What is there to agree or disagree with? Most of the decisions made by Shanahan in the early part of 2000 to the later were horrendous. Not saying I didn't love Shanahan, because I truly did... but the results speak for themselves. The statement is a fact.

elsid13
06-27-2009, 08:15 AM
"brought in Xanders from Atlanta."

This statement in the article is incorrect, it implies that Bowlen brought in Xanders this off season to run the GM slot, when in actually Shanahan brought him on board last off season to manage the cap.

roomemp
06-27-2009, 11:13 AM
What about the Cowboys....They haven't won a playoff game in 13 years or so.

horsepig
06-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Who?

MOtorboat
06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Expansion-caliber? Awesome analysis. I stopped at the sub-head. What did the rest of it say?

rcsodak
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks

T

Who in the hell is this moron.....a journalism dropout?

1.You can tell he knows nothing about the franchise when he moronically states that Denver "gave up next year's first-round pick in a draft-day deal". Is he the only one that doesn't know that they had two?

2. Then somebody must have told him of their yardage rankings last year, "and the Broncos will be hard pressed to field an offense that was as productive as the one that ranked second in the league in 2008."
Last I looked, it's points that win games, not yards between the 20's.

3. And he must not have looked at the changes that have been made on the Dline, since last year, since he states "The front seven is one of the worst in football,".

4. Then when he was running out of things to type, somebody must have thrown out a name and he ran with it...." and the secondary is still reeling from the shooting death of promising cornerback Darrent Williams in January 2007." Gee.....a year and a half ago, and nearly all of the secondary is new, with the exception of Champ. But the way this idiot writes, nothing has changed.

5. Bowlen just brought in Xanders? That's funny......that's not what his bio says.

Was this article written this year, or a year ago? :tsk:

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Denver did give up next years No1 in a draft day deal and the Front Seven is one of the worst in football.

You're welcome.......