PDA

View Full Version : Chris Baker story on denverbroncos.com

titan
06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Ready for the Big Leagues

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It's the first day of the team's final minicamp, and the music blaring from the speakers has begun to die down. Suddenly, Michael Jackson's "Beat It" kicks in, and one player inevitably begins to show off some dance moves.

A 6-foot-2, 326-pound defensive lineman is dancing and laughing on the sideline -- the same player who one week later would help judge a touchdown dance contest at the Denver Broncos Boys and Girls Club.

It's Chris Baker, who proclaims that "dance is my thing." The rookie free agent is a lot of fun off the field, but when he steps in between the white lines, it's all business.

"Right now I'm just doing whatever the coaches ask me to do and wherever I can contribute, that's what I'm going to do for this team," he said.

And if his time in college is any indication, he might be able to contribute at a variety of positions along the defensive line.

He began his collegiate career at Penn State University, where he earned a starting role in just his sophomore year. As a starter in 2007, he helped the Nittany Lions' defense finish No. 7 in the nation against the run, allowing only 87.9 rushing yards per game. He also led the defensive line in tackles in a season that culminated with a victory against Texas A&M in the Alamo Bowl.

During his two seasons at Penn State, he played in 20 games and recorded 43 tackles and 4.5 sacks. Baker transferred to Hampton University for his junior season, but he said he feels the experience he gained playing in the competitive Big Ten Conference

"I'm pretty sure it helps, because a lot of the guys from the Big Ten you're going to see in the NFL," he said. "A lot of times we went to bowl games, and we played against the Tennessees and Florida States, so you're going to go against NFL talent. It really helps just going against some of the quote-unquote best players in the country."

At Hampton he proved that theory, anchoring the Pirates' defensive line and showing a knack for making big plays at both the nose tackle position and defensive end. He totaled 69 tackles, 8.5 sacks -- for 60 yards lost -- and one blocked kick in 11 games.

Baker's play earned him first-team All-MEAC honors, and after one season with the Pirates, he felt he was ready for a jump to the professional ranks.

"I just felt like I didn't have a lot more to prove at Hampton," he said. "I went in there and I did what I expected to do."

So the 326-pound defensive lineman started preparing for the NFL Draft. He was invited to the NFL Combine and he put on a solid show, finishing ninth in the vertical jump among defensive linemen and tying with Robert Ayers in the 20-yard shuttle run.

Then April 25 rolled around, and Baker said he was told he could be picked anywhere from the second round to the fourth round. By the end of April 26, he was a free agent, having gone undrafted. He said it was a disappointment, but a number of teams started calling right away trying to sign him.

The Broncos were one of those teams, and Baker said he believed he could make an impact on the defensive line in Denver right away, so he headed to Dove Valley.

"Everything just didn't work out with the draft process, but I'm happy that I'm here," he said. "I've got my opportunity and now I've just got to make the best of my opportunity."

That opportunity started when he signed as an undrafted free agent on April 27, and has continued throughout two minicamps, passing camp and offseason conditioning that ends on Friday. He said he has been working to impress coaches and teammates alike throughout his two months in Denver, and the defensive line as a whole has been very accepting of him and the rest of the rookies. They're willing to help out with the playbook and even with plays during practice, Baker said.

"They'll pick on you in the locker room, though," he smiled. "That's about it."

One of the most helpful parts about camps so far has been getting a small taste of the Broncos offensive line, which allowed just 12 sacks last season and helped the team tie for second in the league with a 4.8-yards-per-carry rushing average. Baker said facing that unit, even without pads on, has been a big benefit.

"It always helps to go against the best," he said. "If you go against the best you're going to make yourself better. So it's a benefit to have a good O-line like the one we have here."

That same benefit could come in handy for the defensive line as a whole. Baker said he's looking forward to training camp, where the unit can begin to come together and prepare to silence some of its critics when the 2009 campaign rolls around.

"People are always going to have their opinion, but all you can do is work hard and just do the best that you can do," he said. "When the season comes, just work as hard as you can and do what you can do and let your play talk for itself."

SoCalImport
06-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty stoked that Baker came to Denver.
He appears (never saw him play) to have plenty of talent, but probably needs to get stronger, especially if He ever wants to play NT.

If I remember correctly, a relatively high profile URFA will make more than a guy drafted in the 6-7th round anyway, Once He's signed....

Lonestar
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty stoked that Baker came to Denver.
He appears (never saw him play) to have plenty of talent, but probably needs to get stronger, especially if He ever wants to play NT.

If I remember correctly, a relatively high profile URFA will make more than a guy drafted in the 6-7th round anyway, Once He's signed....

Unless I am misreading this HE IS signed to our team..

And unless he royally screws up should be a VERY solid NT in a couple of years.. the only question about him was between the ears commitment to staying out of trouble.. ..

the ball is in his court..

broncofanatic1987
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Baker does seem to have his head on right. He certainly made a good decision in signing with the Broncos. He has a real chance to make the team and perhaps even start with a team like the Broncos as opposed to a team with an established defense. Hopefully he has the talent to help make the Broncos' defense better than it has been in the past.

Lonestar
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Baker does seem to have his head on right. He certainly made a good decision in signing with the Broncos. He has a real chance to make the team and perhaps even start with a team like the Broncos as opposed to a team with an established defense. Hopefully he has the talent to help make the Broncos' defense better than it has been in the past.

I suspect he is a year or so away from alot of playing time.. Until he build upper body strength he will not excel in the NFL.. he has the size needed no doubt about that..

I think he can be a force down the line..

Requiem / The Dagda
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
A force down the line where? Most people think he's going to be a prime nose tackle here, despite the fact he played a majority of his time outside in college. Wish him the best, but I doubt much will happen.

SoCalImport
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
A force down the line where? Most people think he's going to be a prime nose tackle here, despite the fact he played a majority of his time outside in college. Wish him the best, but I doubt much will happen.

Most people would LOVE for him to become a prime NT because that's what we need most.
If that's not how it pans out, I certainly have no problem with a talented 3/4 DE who rolls at over 320 lbs (although 6'2 is not ideal for that position)

WARHORSE
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Of course hes going to pan out. Good things happen to good orgs.

Thats us!