PDA

View Full Version : Casey Wiegmanns High School coach killed

Superchop 7
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Former NFL High School Coach of the Year Ed Thomas was shot and killed by one of his former players this morning, according to MSNBC.com and the Des Moines Register.

The highly respected coach of NFL players Aaron Kampman, Jared DeVries, Casey Wiegmann and Brad Meester was shot in the head at point-blank range by Mark Becker, 24, a former Aplington-Parkersburg High School player, per the reports.

Becker was promptly apprehended after the shooting and has been charged with first-degree murder.

No motive has been disclosed at this time following the tragedy.

According to the Register, Thomas was shot several times in front of roughly 30 players that were working out at the time. No one else was hurt, and grief counselors are attending to the students.

Becker was involved in a high-speed chase over the weekend in Cedar Falls after he allegedly smashed windows with a baseball bat and smashed his car into a garage door.

Becker also allegedly ran a stop sign before a chase began where he reportedly gunned his car up to 100 mph and hit a deer. He was cited with multiple traffic charges, including eluding, speeding and reckless driving.

In the past, Becker has pleaded guilty to possession of drugs, criminal mischief and assault.

Thomas’ death has caused considerable sadness.

“I’ve sobbed,” Superintendent Ed Thompson said. “I’ve cried. I’ve hugged my son. It’s a senseless deal.”

There hasn’t been any immediate reaction from Kampman and other former players, but they are aware of the incident.

Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel wrote on his Twitter account that Kampman, who’s practicing today in Green Bay, isn’t expected to comment on the incident.

CoachChaz
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
With a track record like that, I can see why he wasnt in jail to begin with.

:sarcasm:

WARHORSE
06-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Senseless.

Im wondering what the motive was, cause something obviously upset the man with the coach.

Dirk
06-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Unbelievable. What is this country coming too? It seems like every day we read something that just doesn't make sense.