PDA

View Full Version : Broncos pledge $50,000 to colorado wildfire relief efforts

Tned
06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Denver Broncos Press Release

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 27, 2012

BRONCOS PLEDGE $50,000 TO COLORADO WILDFIRE RELIEF EFFORTS

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Wednesday pledged to make a $50,000 donation to assist with relief efforts for the wildfires burning in Colorado, Owner Pat Bowlen announced.

“On behalf of the Denver Broncos, I extend our deepest sympathies to those who have been affected by the devastating fires throughout Colorado and the region,” Bowlen said. “In particular, my thoughts are with those who have lost their homes or live in the evacuation areas.

"I also would like to commend the dedication of the firefighters, medical personnel, volunteers and the numerous organizations that are working around the clock to respond to these tragedies. Their contributions are heroic, selfless and truly immeasurable.

“This is our home, and we need to do whatever we can to take care of our neighbors. If at all possible, I encourage our fans to help however they can in providing relief during this time of need.”

For information about contributing to the Colorado wildfire relief efforts, please visit: http://www.helpcoloradonow.org.

ShaneFalco
06-27-2012, 06:02 PM
class team

2- Minute Warning
06-27-2012, 06:07 PM
AWESOME, makes me proud.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Just heard this on ch9 news - Very proud of you Mr. Bowlen :salute:

NightTerror218
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
:salute::salute::salute:

Simple Jaded
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Somewhere, the Monforts just looked at the ceiling and started whistling.......

turftoad
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Makes me proud too. However, $50,000 will last about two minutes fighting those fires. Wish it would have more for those people affected by it.

sneakers
06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
does it not rain in colorado?

ShaneFalco
06-27-2012, 08:23 PM
it rains for like 5 seconds and stops. this summer is so hot for some reason

Simple Jaded
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
This is a really dry season, we usually get more rain. A lot of places are canceling 4th of July fireworks already.......

Dzone
06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Mr. Bowlen is a good dude.
Hopefully this will motivate Kroenke and Monforts to step up to the plate

OrangeHoof
06-28-2012, 12:26 AM
It's a commendable gesture but that's lunch money for Peyton Manning. The Broncos could do better.

The Glue Factory
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Makes me proud too. However, $50,000 will last about two minutes fighting those fires. Wish it would have more for those people affected by it.

Depends on where that money goes. Over the weekend when it was burning totally uncontrolled, residents were dropping off supplies to the Red Cross evacuation centers directly. Monday the Red Cross requested that money be donated since they had enough supplies and the money would allow them to more efficiently replenish any supplies that got low. I'm sure $50k would go a long way with the Red Cross.

I am proud to be a Springs residend with how this community came together during the first days of this fire.

The Glue Factory
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
This is a really dry season, we usually get more rain. A lot of places are canceling 4th of July fireworks already.......

It's been a really dry 2 years! We've only gotten about 20% of the normal precipitation for those two years. Any forested area is the driest tinder just waiting for an excuse to catch fire.

It's not surprising we've had the wild fires we have had in the state. This one is suspicious as there was absolutely no weather on Saturday to cause a fire. FBI is investigating. If it is arson I'd think it suitable that the arsonist be tied to a spite and slowly roasted over a fire for the same amount of time as this fire burns. Keeping him hydrated for a few weeks might be a little difficult though.

Ravage!!!
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Depends on where that money goes. Over the weekend when it was burning totally uncontrolled, residents were dropping off supplies to the Red Cross evacuation centers directly. Monday the Red Cross requested that money be donated since they had enough supplies and the money would allow them to more efficiently replenish any supplies that got low. I'm sure $50k would go a long way with the Red Cross.

I am proud to be a Springs residend with how this community came together during the first days of this fire.

Exactly. The Broncos aren't going to buy new homes for people. But 50,000 to red-cross supplies can go a long ways.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Somewhere, the Monforts just looked at the ceiling and started whistling.......

from article:

In addition to the collection, the Colorado Baseball Club has pledged a significant donation to the fire relief efforts.

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/2012/06/28/rockies-fans-colorado-fire-victims-friday-saturday-games/12392/

NightTerror218
06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
damn bark beatles, blame them too

Krugan
06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
being over critical here, but 50k in a 30 million dollar bucket is just a drop, that 30 mil was from several days ago

kinda like the amount of rain you all have seen lately

would like to see the top 10 players on this team each match, then I could be proud, again over critical

OrangeHoof
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
You would think the Avs could at least donate some ice or something...

Superchop 7
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
The money is nice, but I would hope a few of the players go to the schools where the evacuees are, words of encouragement and a bright moment in a dark time.

The Glue Factory
06-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Pretty much everyone that was evacuated could go back to their homes last night. Unfortunately, there's 346 families that have to find alternate living arrangements until their home is rebuilt.

NightTerror218
06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
The money is nice, but I would hope a few of the players go to the schools where the evacuees are, words of encouragement and a bright moment in a dark time.

4 of them and some cheerleaders are at High Park Fire

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/06/28/broncos-meet-high-park-fire-evacuees-fire-firefighters/14088/

BroncoNut
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
dang, there goes our cap space

Chef Zambini
07-02-2012, 10:44 PM

red cross does heavy promotions during natural disasters to fill their coffers,
they ALWAYS prefer money to other donations of food and clothing!
sorry folks, but red cross is not one of the top performers when it comes to return on donation
their 'administration costs" are amongst some of the highest in the "industry",
last time I checked less then 80 cents of every dollar actually went to relief.
sorry, thats reality.
I have no idea what other funds have been set-up, but I encourage everyone to do their homework before they make donations!

And god bless those who do make donations and we all pray for the recovery of the effected families.

Chef Zambini
07-02-2012, 10:46 PM
being over critical here, but 50k in a 30 million dollar bucket is just a drop, that 30 mil was from several days ago

kinda like the amount of rain you all have seen lately

would like to see the top 10 players on this team each match, then I could be proud, again over criticalwow, must be nice to be able to make honest comments like this without being villified.

The Glue Factory
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
wow, must be nice to be able to make honest comments like this without being villified.

said the pot to the kettle.

OrangeHoof
07-03-2012, 12:21 PM
sorry folks, but red cross is not one of the top performers when it comes to return on donation
sorry, thats reality.
I have no idea what other funds have been set-up, but I encourage everyone to do their homework before they make donations!

And god bless those who do make donations and we all pray for the recovery of the effected families.

I've heard stories about Red Cross spending too much on bureaucracy and fancy offices for themselves while using every disaster as a fundraising opportunity more than a distributor of relief aid. Sure they do enough to get on tv and get 800 #s up and websites up to receive donations but I've also heard tales where they've just gone in there and made a big show while doing very little.

The Glue Factory
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
sorry, thats reality.

Nevermind that I was stating that providing money would be used better than donating goods and used the Red Cross as an example.

While appreciative of all the canned foods, bottled water, lip balm, socks and other hard goods that have been donated, officials with several agencies, including Care and Share, say the biggest way to help now is by donating money that can go toward long-term assistance or be used for targeted purchases.

“Basically, a cash donation gives us the ability to be more agile,” said Laine Hendricks, spokewoman for the Salvation Army’s Emergency Disaster Services.

Entire article is here: Colorado Springs Gazette (http://www.gazette.com/news/food-141122-fire-pounds.html)

Ravage!!!
07-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm actually pretty impressed that nearly 80% of every dollar goes to relief. Thats just 20% on overhead.

Chef Zambini
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
people alot smarter and more in the know than me have flat out suggested that the red cross sees disasters as fund-raiser opportunities.
Thats why they ALWAYS want money over donations of food, clothing, shelter ,water etc.
even if those items are needed !
nothing wrong with your post, I just suggest that those wanting to donate and make a difference check out other avenues than the red cross.

Ravage!!!
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
people alot smarter and more in the know than me have flat out suggested that the red cross sees disasters as fund-raiser opportunities.
Thats why they ALWAYS want money over donations of food, clothing, shelter ,water etc.
even if those items are needed !
nothing wrong with your post, I just suggest that those wanting to donate and make a difference check out other avenues than the red cross.

I see what you are saying, and they might be right. However, one can easily see how money would be MUCH easier on any organization that travels around the nation (and world) for relief. Even locally, material donations would then take man-power to distribute such items to where they are needed. Then, you have items you don't need, and then have to take such items and store them.

Money can then easily be distributed where ....anywhere....without having to physically store or move donated material. Administratively, I can easily see where money donations are easier to deal with than trying to coordinate drop points, shipping trucks, manpower to separate.. and then redistribute material goods.

Chef Zambini
07-03-2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277
the CEO of the american red cross makes over 500K annual salary, the red cross has a 3 star, not 4 star rating.
they do have an excellent PR department.

The Glue Factory
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I see what you are saying, and they might be right. However, one can easily see how money would be MUCH easier on any organization that travels around the nation (and world) for relief. Even locally, material donations would then take man-power to distribute such items to where they are needed. Then, you have items you don't need, and then have to take such items and store them.

Money can then easily be distributed where ....anywhere....without having to physically store or move donated material. Administratively, I can easily see where money donations are easier to deal with than trying to coordinate drop points, shipping trucks, manpower to separate.. and then redistribute material goods.

Actually, that was the point I was making. Chef decided to take exception with my choosing the Red Cross as an example of charitable organizations. Colorado Care and Share as well as Salvation Army are other charities doing very good work that have also asked for monetary donations over donations of goods.

Ravage!!!
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277
the CEO of the american red cross makes over 500K annual salary, the red cross has a 3 star, not 4 star rating.
they do have an excellent PR department.

The Red Cross is a HUGE corporation. Of course he makes a good salary, as every CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation does.

The Glue Factory
07-03-2012, 03:46 PM
The Red Cross is a HUGE corporation. Of course he makes a good salary, as every CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation does.

For a multi-billion dollar organization a 500k salary is pretty small. I doubt Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs or most other CEOs of for profit corporations of similar size would accept that kind of salary.

Ravage!!!
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
For a multi-billion dollar organization a 500k salary is pretty small. I doubt Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs or most other CEOs of for profit corporations of similar size would accept that kind of salary.

Roger Goodell does pretty well

Chef Zambini
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
ello
For a multi-billion dollar organization a 500k salary is pretty small. I doubt Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs or most other CEOs of for profit corporations of similar size would accept that kind of salary.WTF are you talking about?
its not like the CEO is generating sales or is the heir to a family recipe !
its a charity,HELLO?
she is making a half million dollars every year that people donate to help OTHERS in need!
people who have lost their homes, loved ones and theur loives are in shambles !
'ill skim a half mill off the top every YEAR, thank you?
try to ignore that zam posted the comments and get your head on straight !
\ does the CEO of the humane society make a half million dollars ?

Ravage!!!
07-04-2012, 01:32 PM
elloWTF are you talking about?
its not like the CEO is generating sales or is the heir to a family recipe !
its a charity,HELLO?
she is making a half million dollars every year that people donate to help OTHERS in need!
people who have lost their homes, loved ones and theur loives are in shambles !
'ill skim a half mill off the top every YEAR, thank you?
try to ignore that zam posted the comments and get your head on straight !
\ does the CEO of the humane society make a half million dollars ?

dude, how much do you expect her to make running a corporation the size.. the SIZE.. of the Red-cross?? How many people do you suppose have the skill-set to run such an organization? You think that the Red-cross didn't hire a head-hunting company to find, and steal/hire/get a person that is capable of handling such a HUGE task? This isn't some run-by-night company in the least. Do you think she, nor ANYONE that has her skills, would simply run such a huge company on pennies when they are being sought after by companies around the country?

Then, would you WANT someone that isn't worth the kind of money that good CEO's make, to be in charge of the Red Cross??? If you were on the board that is responsible for overseeing such a large corporation, would you trust just ANYONE to be the lead? No. Guess what comes with a price, quality.

SKIMMING is not exactly how things are run, and you are showing your ignorance by thinking people, ANYWHERE, work for free purely because the name of the corporation.

American Red Cross CEO makes 455,000.00. Wayne Parcell (Humane Society) makes 250,000.00 a year. But the CEO of the American Meat Institute, makes 738,000.00 a year.

The Red-Cross CEO makes just a lil more than the CEO for the non-profit American Farm Bureau Federation.

Here, here are some of Non-profit CEO salaries:

American Meat Institute ................... $738,987.00
American Kennel Club ................... $737,067.00
National Milk Producers Federation ... $647,632.00
ASPCA ....................................... $516,710.00--Ed Sayres, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
American Red Cross ..................... $455,690.00
American Farm Bureau Federation .... $420,415.00
HSUS ........................................$252,540.0 0

But before you complain about the salaries it takes for these CEO to run a non-profit (donation) corporation, here are some CEO salaries for profit corporations:

Merrill Lynch ........ $83,785,021.00
American Express $50,126,585.00
Walt Disney ........ $27,665,413.00
Coca-Cola .......... $21,648,740.00
Tyson Foods ....... $15,302,009.00
ConAgra Foods .... $13,452,747.00

Chef Zambini
07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
the "company is a CHARITY !
itsd NOT a fortune 500 company. will someone else please undertake the task of putting these folks straight, lord knows they wont listen to me, and in fact are ONLY defending this
outrageous salary because I posted a comment to the contrary.
the ONLY reason !
half a million dollars every year to be a figure-head of a charity is ludicrous !
its almost criminal !

MOtorboat
07-05-2012, 12:04 AM
How in the world did this nice thread about the Broncos caring about the citizens of Colorado get screwed up?

Chef Zambini.

Dude. Shut up.

Timmy!
07-05-2012, 05:04 AM
Maybe zam wanted the broncos to point, laugh, and then give them all the finger instead :noidea:

Chef Zambini
07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
exactly how many of you are going to come out of your little clown car
BTW there are a half dozen threads relating to this tragedy, maybe they should be combined, and maybe some of you might want to make it more about the best way to help these folks in need rather than just seeking out another occasion to try and be my adversary?
the pattern is old and redundant, YOU folks are the ones that turn every thread , ALWAYS to be contradictive, no matter where it takes you ! seriously?
you want to defend a chaurman of a CHARITY, fueled by DONATIONS to help desoerate people or animal;s in need for making a half million dollars a year?
what is your motivation?
zam hate, thats pretty pathetic.

Ravage!!!
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM
the "company is a CHARITY !
itsd NOT a fortune 500 company. will someone else please undertake the task of putting these folks straight, lord knows they wont listen to me, and in fact are ONLY defending this
outrageous salary because I posted a comment to the contrary.
the ONLY reason !
half a million dollars every year to be a figure-head of a charity is ludicrous !
its almost criminal !

It is a company. Its run like a company...as it should. As you can see, I listed SEVERAL non-profit organizations (which you call charities)... INCLUDING the one you tried to use as an example... the Human Society. He makes a quarter of a million dollars. Just like the CEO for the COMPANY for takes charity for the abused animals.. makes more than the Red-Cross CEO.

You continue to show your ignorance.

I get it, you think that Charities could use 100% of the money to go to the intended charity. But you just said that just under 80% of Red Cross money goes to the supplies (and I honestly doubt that much goes, I'm guessing much less)...thats a VERY large percentage. Trucks don't run on their own. People that drive the trucks, don't work for free. Warehouses to store supplies, aren't donating their space. The thousands of people that go through training to organize and run something as large as the red cross across the nation, don't work for free.

I'm sorry that your bubble of reality has been popped when you find out that people in powerful positions, make good money even when they work for non-profit organizations. But the truth is, to suggest that the CEO of the Red-Cross is purely a "figure head".... well....is stupid.

The only thing criminal right now, is that it's legal for you to breed.

Ravage!!!
07-05-2012, 11:35 AM
BTW, the CEO of the Red Cross is not a woman. As of 2010, Marsha J. Evans, was no longer employed by the American Red Cross. According to United Press International, Gail McGovern took over as CEO of the American Red Cross in 2008 at an annual salary of $500,000 plus a signing bonus of $65,000.

Brian Gallagher, President and CEO of United Way, and currently earns $1,037,140 a year.

UNICEF's Executive Director, Anthony Lake, earns $201,351 a year.

Chef Zambini
07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
tuse your energy to defend millionaires who head charities that live off the donations of people trying to help other people in need ! its a good use of your time and effort. show me where i said they should not be paid! a half million dollars is exorbatant! and if it wasnt zam making tht staement, most likely you would agree.
there are countless articles regarding return on donation and the ratings of charities, red cross is NOT amongst the top performers.

this will be my LAST post on the matter, afterall this should be about those in NEED, not this childish little feud that the zam bashers feel compelled to wage in EVERY thread !

want to help the fire victims, do your research before you donate !

MOtorboat
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Dear world,

Don't donate because even non-profit organizations have CEOs.

Signed,
Zam

Timmy!
07-05-2012, 12:31 PM
So the company i work for matched my donation dollar for dollar.......but since it has a ceo who makes a big salary i should feel guilty.

Ravage!!!
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
So the company i work for matched my donation dollar for dollar.......but since it has a ceo who makes a big salary i should feel guilty.

Yes

NightTerror218
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Anyone have an update on the containment?

dacoats
07-05-2012, 05:36 PM
I wonder how much the taxpayers will donate for his new renovations to the stadium

I bet it won't be $50,000

The Coats paid 100 mil for their new stadium, the taxpayer paid 672 mil. what a joke

The Glue Factory
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Anyone have an update on the containment?

95% with 100% expected by the end of the day. Fire crews have been demobilizing this week. We're down to 775ish from over 2,000 last week.

More news here:
KKTV.com (http://www.kktv.com/news/wildfires/headlines/Waldo_Canyon_Fire_90_Percent_Contained_161385535.h tml)

The Glue Factory
07-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Now the big worry is the typical summer thunderstorms we get. They can drop upwards of 1 inch of rain an hour and under normal conditions create flash flooding (search Big Thompson Flood for an extreme example) but with the denuded valleys flash flooding is an even bigger concern. And not just for the rest of this month, but for the next couple years to come.

As I look out the window right now, the rain is coming down pretty hard. Fortunately I'm a few miles away from the burn area and it may not be raining there at all, or it was raining this hard 15 to 30 minutes ago. Rain patterns are erratic this time of year.

NightTerror218
07-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Now the big worry is the typical summer thunderstorms we get. They can drop upwards of 1 inch of rain an hour and under normal conditions create flash flooding (search Big Thompson Flood for an extreme example) but with the denuded valleys flash flooding is an even bigger concern. And not just for the rest of this month, but for the next couple years to come.

As I look out the window right now, the rain is coming down pretty hard. Fortunately I'm a few miles away from the burn area and it may not be raining there at all, or it was raining this hard 15 to 30 minutes ago. Rain patterns are erratic this time of year.

Sorry the civil engineer in me is coming out. What are the soils like? Is bed rock shallow? Do you know if they are taking erosion/sediment control measures to help direct water or protect against erosion?

The Glue Factory
07-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry the civil engineer in me is coming out. What are the soils like? Is bed rock shallow? Do you know if they are taking erosion/sediment control measures to help direct water or protect against erosion?

No clue about any of that, but I'm sure erosion issues will be addressed as best as possible. It's hard to do a lot when you're looking at an 18,000 acre area (something like 30 square miles or so) of mountainous terrain. The Hayman fire (about 10 years ago and over 125,000 acres) had a lot of reclamation after that fire. Forestry service will go in and plant trees and stuff to help the scar left from the burn recover. Fortunately, Waldo Canyon has a couple of good sized "islands" of forest within the perimeter that will help speed the recovery.

The Glue Factory
07-09-2012, 08:11 AM
For those complaining the players haven't done anything for the community...

There is a free family fun night on Monday for those who lost homes in the Waldo Canyon Fire. ...at iT'Z... with members of the Denver Broncos, Miles the Denver Broncos mascot, [and] Denver Broncos Cheerleaders...

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/Family_Night_For_Those_Who_Lost_Homes_In_Fire_1617 49205.html

NightTerror218
07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
No clue about any of that, but I'm sure erosion issues will be addressed as best as possible. It's hard to do a lot when you're looking at an 18,000 acre area (something like 30 square miles or so) of mountainous terrain. The Hayman fire (about 10 years ago and over 125,000 acres) had a lot of reclamation after that fire. Forestry service will go in and plant trees and stuff to help the scar left from the burn recover. Fortunately, Waldo Canyon has a couple of good sized "islands" of forest within the perimeter that will help speed the recovery.

Well true. If the fires calm down sometimes the firefighters will do reclamation work too (if they are paid).

If there is a lot of silts and clays in the soil then there can be a ton of erosion. But I wonder if they will use seed/mulch (hydroseed) to get a lower ontop of the soil to prevent the rain from causing massive erosion. If some areas you can mechanically divert and "roughen" the terrain to slow down water to protect spoils.

I specialize in erosion control for my company. Hmmm if I could start a company to focus on rehabilitation of burned out forests to promote regrowth and protect from erosion. Could be worth it,