Dirk
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12668317

Moss: Atwater a big hitter even in retirement
By Irv Moss
The Denver Post
Posted: 06/23/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 06/23/2009 03:31:43 PM MDT

Could it be that the sharp focus on Steve Atwater's signature play as a member of the Broncos' defense has diverted too much attention from his Hall of Fame credentials?

Even today, Atwater can be stopped on the street by strangers and be taken back to Sept. 17, 1990. It was "Monday Night Football" and the Kansas City Chiefs, featuring powerful running back Christian Okoye, were playing the Broncos at Mile High Stadium.

The Broncos won 24-23, but Atwater's crushing, head-on hit on Okoye is remembered more than the score. The tackle earned Atwater the nickname "The Assassin" and showed that the 6-foot-3, 217-pound safety from Arkansas could meet any NFL running back and hold his own.

"It's amazing how many people who saw that game still remember me for that play," said Atwater, who played for the Broncos from 1989-98. "I get a kick out of it. Some would tell me they watched me play when they were in high school. They looked like they were older than me."

Atwater wasn't a one-play phenomenon. From his position in the Broncos' secondary, Atwater set a team record with seven consecutive appearances in the Pro Bowl from 1990-96. He was selected all- pro in 1991, 1992 and 1996. After the Broncos picked him in the first round of the 1989 draft, he started all 155 games in his Denver career.

Atwater was at the top of his game in Super Bowl XXXII, when the Broncos won their first NFL championship by beating the Green Bay Packers 31-24 on Jan. 25, 1998, in San Diego. He contributed six tackles, a sack and a forced fumble.

"A big part of my success was our defensive system that allowed me to make plays," Atwater said. "It was suited for me. The two Super Bowl victories definitely were the highlights. The first one was special because it represented so much to the franchise. It did a great deal in overcoming the previous losses we had."

Steve Atwater played safety so well, he ended up in the Broncos' Ring of Fame.

After leaving the Broncos, Atwater played the 1999 season with the New York Jets. He remembers a tough October afternoon when the Jets came to Denver and won 21-13.
"It felt really odd being on the other sideline," Atwater said. "I was crying, and I remember looking over to the other sideline and thinking to myself, 'That's my team over there.' "

Atwater keeps track of the Broncos from his home base in Atlanta. He founded a real estate management company after retiring from the NFL. The company has offices in 30 states, including Colorado.

"I was a little bit shocked when Mike Shanahan was let go," Atwater said. "I know that Mike and Pat Bowlen had a great relationship. It was a tough decision, but when you run a business, there are tough decisions that have to be made."

Atwater, 42, believes he left the Broncos on good terms. His feelings were enforced when he was inducted as a member of the team's Ring of Fame in 2005.

"I think a lot of people wondered how I would take it when I was released after the 1998 season," At- water said. "I had a conversation with Mike and Pat and I understood it was a business decision. I had to deal with it, but I came back and retired as a Bronco. The end comes either because of retirement or because of injuries."

As for the Hall of Fame, Atwater takes the lack of attention in stride.

"There are players from all over the league who aren't in the Hall of Fame but think they should be," Atwater said. "I think I'm deserving, but I'm not too disappointed about it. For some reason, the Broncos' defense hasn't gotten the respect it deserved."

Atwater noted that a lot of former players believe the voting system is flawed. They think players and fans should be involved in the voting, instead of a selection committee of sports media. Atwater would vote for a number of former Denver defensive stars, including Dennis Smith, Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright, Tom Jackson, Billy Thompson, Karl Mecklenburg and Rulon Jones.

"I love coming back to Denver for the Broncos' reunions," Atwater said. "We have a great fraternity of players who shed blood and tears together. More than all the games and the money, the things that I took from it and enjoyed the most were the lifelong friendships I made throughout the league."

Atwater bio

Born: Oct. 28, 1966, in Chicago

High school: Lutheran North, St. Louis

College: Arkansas

Family: Wife Letha; sons Stephen, DiAndre and Paris; daughter Malaysia

Hobby: Golf, but tears up the course

Goal: To visit Africa

Dirk
06-24-2009, 07:50 AM
What great memories Atwater gave us!

Shazam!
06-24-2009, 08:41 AM
If he didn't play for Denver he'd have much higher accolades.

The guy gave the wood like anyone else could.

Having a saftey like Lynch reminded me of the ole' days when we had Atwater. Hopefully Dawkins can remind us of those days again too.

Wasn't at all happy when Shanahan let him go, he cut an important part of the Super Bowl team. Dumbass.

Dirk
06-24-2009, 08:52 AM
If he didn't play for Denver he'd have much higher accolades.

It's such a shame that that is one of the most true statements about any Broncos players. (Elway excluded but it took winning the SB for the football world to finally give him his due)

broncofaninfla
06-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Defintely one of the all time great Broncos.

Shazam!
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
It's such a shame that that is one of the most true statements about any Broncos players. (Elway excluded but it took winning the SB for the football world to finally give him his due)

If he was a Cowboy, a Redskin, a Steeler, a Giant, or a 49er back in the day he'd be 'one of the best ever' or 'he re-invented Safety position', it's pathetic.

Dirk
06-24-2009, 09:25 AM
If he was a Cowboy, a Redskin, a Steeler, a Giant, or a 49er back in the day he'd be 'one of the best ever' or 'he re-invented Safety position', it's pathetic.

Exactly! :tsk:

Northman
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
******* great article. I too was pissed when Denver cut him but like Steve i understood it was business. But he was/is a guy that GETS it. Had Elway never existed he would of been my alltime favorite player.

Superchop 7
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Gradishar was the first "Bronco" to define toughness.

Then Atwater.

Then Wilson.

I do not include Lynch or Romo as they were imports.

It was such a priveledge to watch these guys, it is such a shame that the HOF voting is so flawed.

Atwater and Lott were as good as it gets.

Shazam!
06-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Gradishar was the first "Bronco" to define toughness...

Even though he played offense, that'd be Floyd Little for the title of 'first' IMO.