PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworlds AFC West Minicamp Report

Dirk
06-24-2009, 07:39 AM
I figured I would throw this up. I didn't see it anywhere else. If it is...my bad. :D

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=33010

Denver Broncos: Though the big news has been Brandon Marshall's trade request, he has very little leverage and the Broncos appear willing to wait him out. Whether he'll be in camp or not, he's expected to be recovered from hip surgery by then.

After entering OTAs with a competition at quarterback, Josh McDaniels ruined all suspense by naming Kyle Orton the starter. Orton has picked up McDaniels' system quickly and will be a high upside fantasy option if the Broncos can smooth out Marshall's ruffled feathers.

Eddie Royal is expected to rack up plenty of receptions in the offense's Wes Welker role … Tony Scheffler has enjoyed his first healthy offseason and McDaniels has promised to rely on him heavily despite his traditionally unfriendly tight end system … Knowshon Moreno is officially behind Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan, but he's already being used on passing downs. Expect Moreno to climb the depth chart in training camp.

Kansas City Chiefs: New coach Todd Haley's biggest impact has come on the scales where the team has lost a combined 340 pounds this offseason. Tackle Brandon Albert and receiver Dwayne Bowe both arrived at more than 20 pounds over their playing weight and were told to slim down pronto.

Bowe has tuned down his antics during OTAs, and a greater commitment should ensure that he will fill Tony Gonzalez's shoes as the new go-to option in Kansas City. Brad Cottam, expected to take Gonzo's place at tight end, was told that he'll have to win the job in training camp.

Although new quarterback Matt Cassel has impressed Haley with his work ethic and intelligence, the Chiefs have yet to lock him up to a long-term deal … Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters and veteran linebacker Mike Vrabel have skipped all voluntary activities, with Waters offering no assurance that he'd arrive to training camp on time … Larry Johnson has been on his best behavior and is no longer a strong candidate for release.

Oakland Raiders: There's been no official word from Raiders coaches, but the beat writers all expect Darren McFadden to take the backfield reigns from Justin Fargas. McFadden has regained his trademark explosiveness and is expected to be a main cog in the passing game. Michael Bush has also looked great and is expected to contribute to the phasing out of Fargas.

First-round receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey recently re-injured his right hamstring after already being sidelined for over a month. For a player so reliant on speed, it's an ominous sign. In his absence, Chaz Schilens has stood out as the team's best receiver. Javon Walker, who underwent yet another knee surgery, has yet to see the practice field. Underappreciated tight end Zach Miller is fully recovered after early offseason sports hernia surgery.

JaMarcus Russell has been heavily criticized for both his poor play and his subpar work ethic since early May. Staging a private workout with his receivers before training camp may help to rehabilitate his reputation. With veteran Jeff Garcia nipping at his heels, Russell can't afford to start the season as poorly as he started 2008.

San Diego Chargers: It's been a quiet offseason in San Diego, with Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Shawne Merriman all entering the final season of their contracts. Though Rivers and Gates were expected to be priorities for extensions, there's been nothing but the sound of chirping crickets thus far.

LaDainian Tomlinson is reportedly "as healthy as ever" and has even seen some action as the quarterback in "Wildcat" drills. Coach Norv Turner has stated his intention to get LT upwards of 320 carries this season. Despite signing his franchise tender in late August, Darren Sproles is expected to test free agency in 2010.

Third receiver Malcom Floyd's aborted his foolish holdout and finally signed his one-year tender in mid-May … While Vincent Jackson remains at risk of suspension for his second DUI charge, he's been dominant in spring practices. Beat writer Kevin Acee is predicting a "jump-off year" for V-Jax … Shawne Merriman finally returned to practice in early May, but the team held him out of the remainder of OTAs as a precaution.

Dirk
06-24-2009, 07:42 AM
These next couple of months (and a half) are going to go soooooo slow. I can't wait until we see this "new" team on the field!

WARHORSE
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I figured I would throw this up. I didn't see it anywhere else. If it is...my bad. :D

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=33010

San Diego Chargers: It's been a quiet offseason in San Diego, with Philip Rivers, Antonio Gates and Shawne Merriman all entering the final season of their contracts. Though Rivers and Gates were expected to be priorities for extensions, there's been nothing but the sound of chirping crickets thus far.

This was the most interesting point in all of that.

I like it.

I like it alot.:coffee:

Dirk
06-25-2009, 05:13 AM
This was the most interesting point in all of that.

I like it.

I like it alot.:coffee:

If it were the Raiders I would like it...but the Chargers aren't going to screw up by not signing Gates, Merriman and Rivers.