PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshalls best friend Speaks out!!!

Elevation inc
06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11884998

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Imagine this: Your best friend, a man who has cried alongside you through each of your gut-wrenching heartbreaks over the past couple of years, is now taking a beating in the court of public opinion far worse than any he has taken on the football field as an NFL receiver.

That's the situation Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Mike Walker is in right now since Brandon Marshall, the Denver Broncos Pro Bowl receiver, happens to be his best friend. As the football world -- including many in the media -- tears Marshall apart, some of it due to self-inflicted wounds, Walker wants to stand up for his friend.

His message, one he will tell to anyone, is this: Brandon Marshall is not a bad guy.

"For them to bash him the way he's being bashed does hurt," Walker said. "I know him. I know how he is. He isn't a bad guy. He isn't what they are saying he is."

But to hear others talk, especially after events of the past couple of years, the name Brandon Marshall is synonymous with evil.

He's the latest to step forward and fill the role of diva receiver, a supposed malcontent, a look-at-me player who only cares about himself and somehow seems to stay in the headlines -- mostly due to bad off-field behavior.

Marshall has stayed in the legal system since he came to the Broncos three years ago. He has been arrested three times, been accused of hitting his girlfriend and had some other domestic issues. He was also arrested for DUI two years ago.

That led to a league-imposed suspension for one game last season, putting him clearly in the crosshairs of those who judge.

A recent report on ESPN portrayed Marshall as abusing his former girlfriend, even striking her. Marshall denied the report and also relayed to the network that the girlfriend asked for money in exchange for dropping the charges.

Walker knows both well. He said there is no way Marshall hit the woman.

"Never in my life have I seen him put a hand on a woman," Walker said. "I know he didn't do that. I know Brandon wouldn't do that. Brandon has taught me a lot about how to treat ladies, about opening the door and stuff like that. He would never hit a woman."

I asked Walker, in his third season with the Jaguars, if he had a sister. He does. So I asked him if he would let Marshall date his sister.

He didn't hesitate.

"Definitely," he said. "And that's the God honest truth."

Walker and Marshall have known each other since they were seniors in high school. They were roommates for three years at the University of Central Florida and played the same position. A bond developed, one that continues with daily phone calls.

"He's my brother," Walker said. "He's my best friend."

When Walker tore up his knee as a junior at UCF, he broke down on the bench. Tears flowed for both.

"He was crying with me and then went back in and helped us win the game," Walker said. "That's him."

Marshall was there when Walker lost his father to cancer last year. Walker also lost a close friend in a bar shooting a short time before that. Marshall was in attendance when Broncos corner Darrent Williams was killed after an incident at a bar, so they have something else in common -- sadly, losing a friend way too early.

The fact that Marshall was at the bar that night, and he admitted that an altercation involving his cousin had something to do with the shooting, only enhances the thinking that trouble follows him, fair or not.

That's why when Marshall suffered a serious gash to his arm when he fell through a television set while wrestling with his brother, the football world came down hard on him. Some questioned whether it was really an accident, even though Marshall insisted it was.

Walker was there. He swears it was an accident.

"What did he do so wrong?" Walker said. "He was playing around with his brother and slipped and fell. What's so wrong with that?"

Despite the injury, and that one-game suspension, Marshall was once again one of the NFL's best receivers last season, proving he was not just a one-hit wonder in 2007. He has had more than 100 catches each of the past two seasons, hauling in 226 passes in that time.

That's why he wants a new deal and it's why he stayed away from the team's recent minicamp. Marshall has two years left on a deal that is set pay him around $2 million in 2009. For his skill set, and numbers, that's way too low. That's why he has asked to be traded and the Broncos are said to be considering it.

Walker said Marshall's discontent with the team is about money, but also stems from the trade of Jay Cutler as well as the way his hip injury was handled last season.

"They kept saying he was soft and his hip wasn't an issue, but it bothered him in camp and they didn't believe him," Walker said. "They made it seem like it was nothing big. And it bothered him all year and he had to have surgery. So it was something big."

Marshall had surgery on the hip in March, and is back on track to be on the field again this season.

So where will he play? Do the Broncos trade him or do they make him come back? Do they give him a new deal or make him wait?

One thing's for certain: He's a risk. Even Walker understands teams will view his friend that way.

"You have faults, but look at what he brings to that team," Walker said. "If they want to work out a contract, they can work it out. Put stuff in it. Put clauses in it. Put stuff in it that will penalize him if he gets in trouble so you can pay the man. He deserves it. He's a good guy. Whoever pays him will see that. I know it. Brandon Marshall isn't who everybody thinks he is."

just another perspective in a long off-season....enjoy:salute:

shank
06-24-2009, 01:02 AM
If they want to work out a contract, they can work it out. Put stuff in it. Put clauses in it. Put stuff in it that will penalize him if he gets in trouble so you can pay the man. He deserves it.

i agree.

Shazam!
06-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Poor, poor Marshall.

Why would he sign a contract with all the 'Ifs' in it? I doubt he would do that.

BroncoWave
06-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Poor, poor Marshall.

Why would he sign a contract with all the 'Ifs' in it? I doubt he would do that.

If he's the good guy that he claims to be then he should have no problem signing a contract with behavior provisions.

Elevation inc
06-24-2009, 02:13 AM
If he's the good guy that he claims to be then he should have no problem signing a contract with behavior provisions.

from the sounds of it he hasnt even been offered any kind of extension, one even with provisions, so how can he have or not have a problem with it, if it hasnt been offered.

Many media speculate a deal was turned down by marshall but currently the only hard info is that talks are ongoing beteween marshalls agent and the denver FO.

There is no substantial evidence a contract has even been cosidered with provisions.

Quite frankly i belive marshall would sign a big raise in pay even with provisions.....

Elevation inc
06-24-2009, 02:15 AM
Poor, poor Marshall.

doubt away, you have no proof so your doubtful claim is unfounded, you have no idea what has or hanst been offered just like the other media talking heads....

LRtagger
06-24-2009, 06:39 AM
doubt away, you have no proof so your doubtful claim is unfounded, you have no idea what has or hanst been offered just like the other media talking heads....

I SERIOUSLY doubt the Broncos would move forward trading Marshall without first presenting what they felt was the best contract they could offer him. If he and his agent are in contact with the Broncos FO and the Broncos trade him, then we can conclude that Brandon and the Broncos could not come to an agreement on a contract.

This can especially be ruled as fact if the Broncos make Brandon come back, he stays out of trouble for a year, and still ends up leaving next year.

You are right, it is all speculation, but I seriously doubt the Broncos trade Brandon away without at least offering him what they feel is fair for both parties.

I know they traded away Jay, but remember they tried everything they could to prevent that from happening. I think they will do the same here.

Den21vsBal19
06-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Before he can even think of a new contract, provisions or not, he needs to get his ass into camp at the end of the month and prove his fitness.......has the numbness in his hand gone, and is his hip fully recovered from surgery?

Then they can start talking $$$s & penalties.

Serious question though.....................how does a suspension, if it were to happen, effect the team with regards to the roster & cap?

Nomad
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Cry me a river, why feel sorry for a millionaire who can't grow up! Is Marshall going through anger management, alcohol classes/volunteering to speak out against drunk driving and volunteering his time/money to the YWCA and in the meantime rehabbing his so called 'hip'. Sure it sounds like alot, but if he's really trying to be a better man and wants to prove it, this is what he needs to be doing.

If he'd be doing all of this then I could say the BRONCOS are being a little hard on the guy. Plus the BRONCOS would throw in all the clauses. Bowlen should guarantee him at midseason he'll get what he wants if he can prove his worth on the field and signs the contract with the clauses. Otherwise, Marshall has dug his own hole regarding his off the field issues and can't be trusted to behave and isn't in Dove Valley!!!

CoachChaz
06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
My assumption from a business stance is the FO will wait and see what the doctors final prognosis is on his hip and then offer him an incentive laden, provisional contract. After that...it's up to BMarsh.

Elevation inc
06-24-2009, 07:53 AM
I SERIOUSLY doubt the Broncos would move forward trading Marshall without first presenting what they felt was the best contract they could offer him. If he and his agent are in contact with the Broncos FO and the Broncos trade him, then we can conclude that Brandon and the Broncos could not come to an agreement on a contract.

This can especially be ruled as fact if the Broncos make Brandon come back, he stays out of trouble for a year, and still ends up leaving next year.

You are right, it is all speculation, but I seriously doubt the Broncos trade Brandon away without at least offering him what they feel is fair for both parties.

I know they traded away Jay, but remember they tried everything they could to prevent that from happening. I think they will do the same here.

i agree and never stated we would trade him without an offer, in fact he is still on the team so the whole trade thing is unfounded as well......my point is no one really knows if there was an offer or not and whether or not we are even seriously considering trading him, thats my point.....

Shazam!
06-24-2009, 08:36 AM
i agree and never stated we would trade him without an offer, in fact he is still on the team so the whole trade thing is unfounded as well......my point is no one really knows if there was an offer or not and whether or not we are even seriously considering trading him, thats my point.....

Neither do you, so stop acting like you do. It is therefore up for speculation on an internet forum such as this.

These aren't regular working people. Marshall wants to get PAID. If there are too many restrictions in his new contract with big inclusions of chances he WON'T get paid for whatever the reason, why would he commit? It wouldn't make sense.

I dont think it looks too good. I hope they hammer it out, but I'm not optimistic. Baby Jay taught him the right way to do things.

Northman
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM

And yet neither do you.

Elevation inc
06-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Neither do you, so stop acting like you do. It is therefore up for speculation on an internet forum such as this.

These aren't regular working people. Marshall wants to get PAID. If there are too many restrictions in his new contract with big inclusions of chances he WON'T get paid for whatever the reason, why would he commit? It wouldn't make sense.

I dont think it looks too good. I hope they hammer it out, but I'm not optimistic. Baby Jay taught him the right way to do things.

lol....i never stated i do know whats going on...., i use a thing called objectivity to make opinions. thats the point, if you can show where i state or push my view to one side i will eat crow. problem is i dont do that i stay the objective line untill there is proof not speculation to make a conclusion.

in this case its simple there is no proof only speculation, thats not opinion thats fact, and that is where i reside untill proof comes out to refute what i feel.

that hasnt happend yet, so i will continue to objectively let people know they dont really know or have proof of what happened without the facts.

I have no clue what was said or done and i dont argue as such, i argue that there is no proof eitehr way, which is in fact closer to the truth than any of the speculation that goes on......

its really quite simple.....

Elevation inc
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
And yet neither do you.

*sigh*

i never said i do.....i never argued either way, the arguement was that there is no proof. forgive me for being a person that likes proof and cold hard facts to make a informed opinion rather than baseless speculation.....

Elevation inc
06-25-2009, 01:12 AM

becasue denver holds the cards and if he doesnt commit he may lose out on eligibilty for FA if the CBA fails...and becasue its the best chance he has for a big payday with all his question marks.....

Shazam!
06-25-2009, 01:21 AM
becasue denver holds the cards and if he doesnt commit he may lose out on eligibilty for FA if the CBA fails...and becasue its the best chance he has for a big payday with all his question marks.....

Actually, his best chance for the payday is getting traded and a new contract with a team that won't give him all the restrictions Denver should ask for.

Character is be a major issue here. Marshall is showing little, despite what his friends may say. The guy has so many other issues and a hair away from a possible major suspension next time. We don't need a Plaxico. He's a risk no matter how you cut it.

Elevation inc
06-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Actually, his best chance for the payday is getting traded and a new contract with a team that won't give him all the restrictions Denver should ask for.

Character is be a major issue here. Marshall is showing little, despite what his friends may say. The guy has so many other issues and a hair away from a possible major suspension next time. We don't need a Plaxico. He's a risk no matter how you cut it.

this is true, I know it and so does the rest of the fanbase

but the point is he holds no cards he played the one card he had and that was to whine and complain....from a buisness standpoint for marshall it was smart, but there isnt a team out there that will offer him a big contract without restrictions even if he does get traded.

Your correct he does have many many issues going right now, which makes it even less likely for a team to make a worthwhile offer, or even take that risk

there are to many questions for any team to make that call right now. Anquan boldin is a great reciver and he is only garnering 2nd rd pick offers right now.

We would not get compensation worthy of what he has done, and while bowlen may have suggested they will accomodate marshall(still unfounded) im guessing the people that actually give advice to bowlen (ellis, xanders,MCD) are telling him to chill and make brandon sit.....

based on the article, i think marshall is a good guy who made a big string of bad decsions, including holding out, but i dont feel he is going anywhere....

rcsodak
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM

Maybe he'll kick his agent to the street, and pull a Maurice Clarett. Be his own 'agent', and play for incentives only! :lol:

$500k - TD
$10k - recpt
$3M - 2010 Roster Bonus
etc

rcsodak
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
from the sounds of it he hasnt even been offered any kind of extension, one even with provisions, so how can he have or not have a problem with it, if it hasnt been offered.

Many media speculate a deal was turned down by marshall but currently the only hard info is that talks are ongoing beteween marshalls agent and the denver FO.

There is no substantial evidence a contract has even been cosidered with provisions.

Quite frankly i belive marshall would sign a big raise in pay even with provisions.....

:coffee:

rcsodak
06-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Before he can even think of a new contract, provisions or not, he needs to get his ass into camp at the end of the month and prove his fitness.......has the numbness in his hand gone, and is his hip fully recovered from surgery?

Then they can start talking $$$s & penalties.

Serious question though.....................how does a suspension, if it were to happen, effect the team with regards to the roster & cap?

If he's on the 53, he's on the cap.

Elevation inc
06-26-2009, 02:58 AM

lets delve into the basics for you.... belief is a form of oipinion one i wasnt announcing as a statement of fact but of belief.

so when i tell one to doubt away becasue they are trying to make a statement of fact without construing it as there belief or opinion i am not in error.

perhaps you should read everything more carefully next time. I am a very objective poster on this board.

i do my best to make sure my beliefs are construed as a belief or opinion not as a fact or word of Law......

im human and make mistakes, but i wasnt out of line in the previous conversation.

I have no idea why you decided to pick 2 quotes and make it look like you were a tough guy taking a dig on a message board with your lame ass coffe smiley

I get your the resident Smart ass around here, and for the most part its hilarious, because its usually right, in this case it isnt....

Den21vsBal19
06-26-2009, 06:48 AM
If he's on the 53, he's on the cap.
So there's a bloody good reason not to give him a new deal until his legal problems are sorted out :tsk:

rcsodak
06-26-2009, 08:12 AM
lets delve into the basics for you.... belief is a form of oipinion one i wasnt announcing as a statement of fact but of belief.

so when i tell one to doubt away becasue they are trying to make a statement of fact without construing it as there belief or opinion i am not in error.

perhaps you should read everything more carefully next time. I am a very objective poster on this board.

i do my best to make sure my beliefs are construed as a belief or opinion not as a fact or word of Law......

im human and make mistakes, but i wasnt out of line in the previous conversation.

I have no idea why you decided to pick 2 quotes and make it look like you were a tough guy taking a dig on a message board with your lame ass coffe smiley

I get your the resident Smart ass around here, and for the most part its hilarious, because its usually right, in this case it isnt....

.....ALL those words.......

....and yet.........

.....I'll stick with my "lame ass" :coffee:

Shazam!
06-26-2009, 08:35 AM

This is an internet forum. This subject is up for debate and obviously a lot of speculation.

People are talking about their OPINIONS and you somehow construe them as FACT. Yet, everyone's opinion is somehow lesser than your because you somehow believe you are 'objective'.

NEWSFLASH- None of us here are objective about the Broncos who are Broncos fans.

And your opinion is no less valid, whether someone loves Marsh or thinks he sucks, or thinks personally he is a scumbag.

I know I'm not the only one who saw this either.

Superchop 7
06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Why would Marshall want to be on a losing team ?

Do whatever it takes to get out of your rookie contract and move forward Brandon.

You have an upside, learn from your mistakes.

Simple Jaded
06-26-2009, 10:00 PM

Do whatever it takes to get out of your rookie contract and move forward Brandon.

Because it's not about Brandon Marshall or haven't you heard? It's about the team.

The good news is, apparently the Broncos are better off without Brandon Marshall.......

Lonestar
06-27-2009, 12:40 AM

he has been on a losing team even with his bud cutler.. had houckli not given the game to the Broncos on the fumble call that one was all but in the books as a LOSS.. and had in the same game the first interception we got been re-viewable it may have been even more lopsided than it was..

just because we moved alot of yards between the 20's does not mean we were a very good TEAM last year.. one of the reasons mike is gonzo..

so far marshall has not learned from his mistakes.. or for that matter jays..

Elevation inc
06-27-2009, 01:54 AM
.....ALL those words.......

....and yet.........

.....I'll stick with my "lame ass" :coffee:

and you should its fitting, since a civilized conversation is above your ability of understanding....

Elevation inc
06-27-2009, 01:57 AM
This is an internet forum. This subject is up for debate and obviously a lot of speculation.

People are talking about their OPINIONS and you somehow construe them as FACT. Yet, everyone's opinion is somehow lesser than your because you somehow believe you are 'objective'.

NEWSFLASH- None of us here are objective about the Broncos who are Broncos fans.

And your opinion is no less valid, whether someone loves Marsh or thinks he sucks, or thinks personally he is a scumbag.

I know I'm not the only one who saw this either.

um i am objective, and i am not calling any ones opinions wrong, i am simply saying there arent enough facts to make a informned decision either way, why is that so hard to figure out????

i wasnt attacking anyones opinion including yours....i was implying that neither side of the arguement had enough facts at this juncture to make a proven informed decision either way....

seriously dont know why thats so hard for people to figure out.....

roomemp
06-27-2009, 11:11 AM

I am a huge Broncos fan...What team do you like. I can tell its not the Broncos :D

rcsodak
06-29-2009, 01:37 AM
and you should its fitting, since a civilized conversation is above your ability of understanding....

And what's funny, is the fact that in my 2 posts regarding yours, not once did I not be "civilized"......

.....nor attack your posts with labeling them as "lame" or "above (my)ability of understanding".

"If you keep your mouth shut, it's more difficult to put your foot in it."-unknown

rcsodak
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM
um i am objective, and i am not calling any ones opinions wrong, i am simply saying there arent enough facts to make a informned decision either way, why is that so hard to figure out????

i wasnt attacking anyones opinion including yours....i was implying that neither side of the arguement had enough facts at this juncture to make a proven informed decision either way....

seriously dont know why thats so hard for people to figure out.....

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=682735&postcount=20

You're the only one having a hard time of it. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 02:35 AM
It's above my "ability of understanding" why anybody would think that cool smilie is "lame ass", it's not the smilie that's lame ass, it's what the user thinks that smilie projects that's lame ass.......

Elevation inc
06-29-2009, 02:52 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=682735&postcount=20

You're the only one having a hard time of it. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

:lol: @ 3 coffe smileys....lol

I belive is bolded...and your telling me im the one having trouble???? lol

hilarious, i called your coffe smily lame not your post, you know as well as i do you posted your coffe smily as a way to get a dig in, im not stupid. i just defended myself.

i really understand great, i actually am not a fan of marshall right now, and am not leaning towards either side. i stay the middle road but im still entitled to beliefs, i just dont construe them as fact....

in the post you so wonderfully quoted i stated that i dont think there is enough evidence to make a informed decision, but i belived marshall would sign a contract with provisions if offered.

i construed my belief, with the word belief, implying it to be my opinion, i did not construe it as a fact.

the poster i told to doubt away went on and on about how marshall was being a baby, and didnt sign his contract offer becasue of speculated provisions. How does he know that with out facts, leading back to the point of my post originally.....

i pointed out he could doubt away becasue there was no facts......

see the difference he tried to enforce his belief as a fact that had happened, with no proof where as i stayed objective, and construed i belived marshall would sign, but i didnt imply he had or that it it was going to happen as a word of law.

so again, i responded to your nicely placed dig of a coffe smiley with a respnse of my own.

perhaps you should work your saracstic act and show on someone who buys it, because that crap dont fly with me.....lol....this aint high school.....

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 02:58 AM
A dog just ate my poop. :coffee:.......

Elevation inc
06-29-2009, 03:22 AM
A dog just ate my poop. :coffee:.......

yikes......

:lol::lol::lol:

we all have our battles on BF it seems, i dont think RC or shazam like me anymore:coffee:

:lol:

Simple Jaded
06-29-2009, 04:05 AM
yikes......

we all have our battles on BF it seems, i dont think RC or shazam like me anymore:coffee:

You'll live.......

Elevation inc
06-29-2009, 04:23 AM
You'll live.......

damn right i will....:cool:

rcsodak
06-30-2009, 12:00 AM
perhaps you should work your saracstic act and show on someone who buys it, because that crap dont fly with me.....lol....this aint high school.....

That's good, son, because high school was almost 30yrs ago for me.

And as I said to an earlier post....

....all those words......

...and yet.......

....nothin'.

rcsodak
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
yikes......

You'll live.......

I see not all of us are past the high school games, though. :rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Quite obviously, you're still interested in playing in them decades removed from such an institution.

rcsodak
06-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Quite obviously, you're still interested in playing in them decades removed from such an institution.

Leave it to dream to stick his bowlcut into a matter that better describes him than anybody else on the board. And thanks for proving you're the best at stalking. :lol:

Elevation inc
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I see not all of us are past the high school games, though. :rolleyes:

if thats what you feel was portrayed by my post then so be it.....lol

if you cant tell we was playing around then so be it.....i was serious about how the original confrontation was portaryed but after that it was just fun and games.....

you should know that better than anyone......

Elevation inc
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
That's good, son, because high school was almost 30yrs ago for me.

And as I said to an earlier post....

....all those words......

...and yet.......

....nothin'.

:lol: ................son??????? um try again buddy

Requiem / The Dagda
06-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Elevation, you are doing a fine job. Do not let RC get to you. *kisses cheek*

Elevation inc
06-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Elevation, you are doing a fine job. Do not let RC get to you. *kisses cheek*